Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J. Cole

Options
  • 30-05-2011 3:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Anyone else here listen to this guy? I've been waiting and waiting to hear something from his album and, apparently, the wait is finally over. Or so I thought...

A song called 'How High' leaked earlier today and J. Cole Nation claimed that while the song was not the single that Cole promised would be released this week, it would definitely be on the album. The story's changed and now they're saying it's unclear whether it will make the album.

Anyway, the release of the first official single has been delayed due to a sample issue but I'm really hoping we get to hear it this week. Cole is one of, if not the most, talented rappers out there IMO. I still listen to The Warm Up and Friday Night Lights every day of the week and I really want to see him succeed at Roc Nation. His album is finished so hopefully he gets a release date soon and we get see what he can really do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

Yeah I really like him, Who dat was a great anthem last year and the stuff he has done with Drake is fairly good!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Most talented out there imo. Just hope that his album does him justice, I'm a bit mixed on some of the stuff I've heard off it thus far though. Well worth "acquiring" The Come Up as well if you don't have it already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MCnoFlow

He's playing one night only in London 5th of august don't miss it. My tickets booked!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

MCnoFlow wrote: »
    He's playing one night only in London 5th of august don't miss it. My tickets booked!

Where'd you get them?

Edit: Don't worry, found it and booked

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

he's pretty popular here with a few of us, there's no denying real talent and j cole smacks you in the face and demands your attention.

he will succeed at roc nation, dont believe that rubbish that jay z will drop him if he did it would be a huge mistake and someone like a jimmy iovine at interscope would snap him up in a second. jay is just putting pressure on him to finish the project because it has and is still a long wait.

his mixtapes are better than 80 per cent of hip hop albums released in the last couple of years, again there's no denying his talent and if someone as good as him doesn't get as big as his talent deserves it just shows how bad hip hop has got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭madmandaniel

J Cole is the illest MC out there right now, simply put
    wordplay is ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭wilmer mclean

Have to say of all the new rappers he is my favourite by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

im very uninterested in this guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Stewbag

Yeah I've been listening to J.Cole for over a year now and I have to say he is a ill MC, I forget the name but there's a freestyle on his mixtape "Friday Night Lights" and it is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    im very uninterested in this guy.

How surprising.
    Stewbag wrote: »
    Yeah I've been listening to J.Cole for over a year now and I have to say he is a ill MC, I forget the name but there's a freestyle on his mixtape "Friday Night Lights" and it is unreal.

Back to the Topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Yeah I listen to him, he's class. One of the best young rappers out there atm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

CiaranMT wrote: »
    How surprising.

Unnecessary. No need for back handed comments like that.

thanks, appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 AJ21

lost ones leaked and i think its quaility, just real lryics and story telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Started listening to him about 2 weeks ago - best rapper I've listened to in quite some time. His style is brilliant imo

another new j cole track called cheer up, just quailty. cole and lemar are on another level from the rest of the new talent.

http://www.diversehiphop.com/blog/2011/06/j-cole-cheer-up-2/#more-13165

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

he just tweeted 27/9

cant wait

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Danow247

bigpoppa wrote: »
    he just tweeted 27/9

cant wait

he posted the album title aswell.

Coleworld: The Sideline Story

Cant fu*kin wait!!! been waiting on tweet for almost 3 years :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Great news. Fingers crossed it drops on time and isn't delayed by bull****

sorry, dont mean too offend his fans but something tells me this guy wont blow up, theres something missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    sorry, dont mean too offend his fans but something tells me this guy wont blow up, theres something missing.

He isn't being pushed this side of the water all that much yet. Compare his exposure here, and that of Kendrick, etc, to the States, and it doesn't amount to a whole lot.

But then, the States is the main market, make it there (which he will no doubt do), and it'll spread outwards. Doubt it'll be too quickly though.

I could give a toss he doesn't 'blow up' he is one of the best MC's in a long long time, been listening to his freestyles / mixtapes and stuff for so long the album is gonna be great for those who have loved his stuff to date.

A lot of real hip hop fans excited about this guy, just what it needed dope lyricist MC

CiaranMT wrote: »
    He isn't being pushed this side of the water all that much yet. Compare his exposure here, and that of Kendrick, etc, to the States, and it doesn't amount to a whole lot.

But then, the States is the main market, make it there (which he will no doubt do), and it'll spread outwards. Doubt it'll be too quickly though.
    Ye see I'm talking about the states, I can't see it happening for some reason, not that he needs to be huge to prove a point or nor does his level of success go hand in hand with his skills, I'm not saying that.
    But let's face facts, he's signed to roc nation, jay didn't sign him to be that artist that's appreciated but doesn't sell.
    Maybe I'm wrong but i dont think I am.

@ bigpoppa

Drop the whole "real hip hop fans" shyt, it's a cop out.

For what it's worth, you may not give a toss about weather he sells or not, but he does and jay z does.

I agree completely with you that he doesnt (for me anyway) have to be huge to prove a point. I love the raw mixtape / freestyles and if there is one friday night lights a year i would be happy with that

I dont have any connection with jay or roc nation so their profits or share price dont really impact me in anyway:) I suspect his less interesting stuff (for me) will be the inevitable tracks with Rihanna etc etc

I think you are are wrong in that it will sell well and he will be huge as generally such talented individuals are not overlooked. I kinda hope he maintains the integrity as long as possible as one of my favourites in a while
    @ bigpoppa Drop the whole "real hip hop fans" shyt, it's a cop out. For what it's worth, you may not give a toss about weather he sells or not, but he does and jay z does.

Oh ok, is this forum 'beef'? I did not intend this as an offence to anyone, What I meant was *everyone* I know who loves hip hop is *dying* to hear this album. No offence meant genuinely. I don't argue on forums tbh it is boring to others and I am too old and wise. I will try make my posts clearer going fwd and you maybe drink less coffee :)

Anyway back to the point , lets hope its a banger, love all his stuff so far bar a few tracks. We can always have a whip round for Jay if it goes pear shaped (joke)

No not at all, it's just I am not anticipating his album and I feel that doesn't make me any less of a "real hip hop" fan than anyone else, but I now know that wasn't your intentions.

Although he seems to be the complete polar opposite of a Rick Ross for instance, so for that reason I'd like to see him blow.

Why Hasn't He Blown Up Yet?

Pretty Much.

they hit a few home truths alright, they went in a hard on him cons in some ways but you know what they say the truth hurts.

i just think he needs that banger of a single to be honest to put him on the map, it was interesting when they were talking about wiz and he blew up with the black and yellow single before that he was looking exactly like j cole now.

but as in regards to talent you cant compare wiz to cole there's no competition, cole sh*ts all over him and your drake's etc but its just black and yellow was that good wiz had to be recognized after it, this is what cole needs a hit and maybe then he will get the recognition his work deserves because what he raps about is real most of the time and full of substance and not some meaningless commercial bullsh*t like a drake or wiz who just raps about the same recycled stuff in nearly all of his songs.

he needs a few hits something that will be played in the clubs or just on the radio, that doesn't mean he has to sell out and go completely pop or anything and go against everything his music stands for, maybe a feature from a strong established artist like his boss jay z or a eminem would put him out there more and make people aware of him on a global stage.

maybe he just cant make a comercial hit lads, maybe its time we start hearing cole rap over someone else's beats like a dre or swizz etc who are proven hit makers.
    Although he seems to be the complete polar opposite of a Rick Ross for instance, so for that reason I'd like to see him blow.

+ 1 on that, rick ross is a mockery of not just hip hop music but hip hop as a culture, i know ross is not that big over here but in the states he is considered the bee's knee's at the moment even after the whole working with the law.

just shows how much hip hop has changed a talented mc like cole is strugglin to blow up but a proven fraud is the number 1 gangsta rapper its laughable to say the least.

• Advertisement

maybe it is the label thats failing him?
    i mean i know next to nothing about cole, i should know something, i should be seeing more of him without having to go look for it.
    his whole presence seems non existent, only dropping stuff occasionally.

Advertisement