Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 2 Broadcasting in HD now

Options

Comments

:confused: I would have thought that the full launch was an indication the testing phase was over

Well it's not a Saorview test per se, it's a test of the new HD playout system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Was there any true HD events on RTE 2 this weekend. I was looking at some of the KIldare vs Meath football match. I thoght it had better clarity on Saorview compared with Sky. But I thought it hadn't enough clarity to be full HD.

On the issue on promos for programmes and events on RTE 2 it is worth listening out for "On RTE 2 and RTE2 HD" at the end of the promo. You will be pretty sure that that event would be shown in HD on Saorview.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Was there any true HD events on RTE 2 this weekend. I was looking at some of the KIldare vs Meath football match. I thoght it had better clarity on Saorview compared with Sky. But I thought it hadn't enough clarity to be full HD.

No.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

It was upscaled so was alot better than Sky, yet nowhere near true HD, I wish they would drop the HD part of the DOG when they are not broadcasting in HD. I wonder will they televise the Provincial finals in High-Def?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

On the issue on promos for programmes and events on RTE 2 it is worth listening out for "On RTE 2 and RTE2 HD" at the end of the promo. You will be pretty sure that that event would be shown in HD on Saorview.

I've seen them announce that certain programmes are being shown on RTE2 HD on Saorview, even though they are shown upscaled SD.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Anyone have any idea when playout system will be up and working properly ? Apart from weekend of launch it seems HD off the agenda but on the dog - shame. Not as big a shame as RTE+1 but shame none the less:mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Anyone have any idea when playout system will be up and working properly ? Apart from weekend of launch it seems HD off the agenda but on the dog - shame. Not as big a shame as RTE+1 but shame none the less:mad:

Just one more disappointment in a long series of disappoinments. The DTT fiasco is a long long series of disappoinments. At every turn, if there was a way of disapointing us, they have.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

When BBC had develope the new DVB-T2 system, RTE should had adopted that system during the trail, after Boxer failed to take up
    So now there are plenty of T2 system and RTENL would not need to make their system different from UK or EU like they got now. We thouhgt just DVB-T MPEG-4 H.264 was just enough but there are other minor differents, Subtitles, teletext, audio, VHF and many more yet to be surface... Is Ireland the only country having this setup? different from UK and different from EU
    Is New Zealand similar to Irish spec?

RTE to show HD logo always is a joke when the program is not in true HD,
    Do what BBC and ITV does, only show HD dog when the program is in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Souriau wrote: »

RTE to show HD logo always is a joke when the program is not in true HD,
    Do what BBC and ITV does, only show HD dog when the program is in HD.

BBC One HD & BBC HD display their "HD" DOG continuously irregardless of content (except for news bulletins).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Biffo The Bare

BBC One HD & BBC HD display their "HD" DOG continuously irregardless of content (except for news bulletins).
    But at least SD is the exception on BBC 1 HD. Its the rule at RTE. When BBC1 HD launched, almost everything was in HD from day one. As others have said, this cretin-ology at RTE has gone on for 12 years. Why should they stop now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

But at least SD is the exception on BBC 1 HD. Its the rule at RTE. When BBC1 HD launched, almost everything was in HD from day one. As others have said, this cretin-ology at RTE has gone on for 12 years. Why should they stop now?
    The official Saorview FAQ (ver 2.0) said that it would start showing HD content in May and that by September 2011 that 40% of content on the channel would be HD content (mostly Sports, imported shows, etc.).

The updated FAQ (Ver 3.0) now says:
    RTÉ started showing High Definition (HD) programmes on RTÉ Two on the 28 May 2011.
    The number of actual HD programmes will increase over time.

So according to their own plans, they are on target. I would say (just my opinion), that the current delay is in part because of the unnecessary requirement to move RTÉ2 to Mux 2. A silly interference by the BAI and Makeshift Minister who was caretaking the department when the Greens walked away.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Biffo The Bare

RTÉ started showing High Definition (HD) programmes on RTÉ Two on the 28 May 2011.
    The number of actual HD programmes will increase over time. .
    If they showed 10 minutes of HD this week, they would be on target by their own measurements. But this is just a complete whitewash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

If they showed 10 minutes of HD this week, they would be on target by their own measurements. But this is just a complete whitewash.
    Very true - and I'd say the follow on point that the move to MUX2 has scuppered some of the planned timeline may also be true. Thanks perhaps to BAI, Former Minister Carey and TV3/UPC/Sky?

I suppose we can really start complaining if September comes and goes and the situation hasn't changed at all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Souriau wrote: »
    When BBC had develope the new DVB-T2 system, RTE should had adopted that system during the trail, after Boxer failed to take up

DVB-T equipment was already installed and there were NO DVB-T2 receivers at the time.

This is like the arguments that they should have used DABv2 from the start - when they started in 2006 and there were no receivers either.

Decision was made, newest tech at the time picked, not gonna change, get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Recorded the World Poker Tour on RTE2 via my playtv, anyway the picture is just beautiful and after checking on-line it appears the program is broadcast in HD in the states. So it appears (to my untrained eye) that RTE are broadcasting the HD version of it, even if you're not into poker the picture quality is worth watching alone.

Another possibility is the RTE are upscaling original SD shows to HD for broadcast, others more expert than I might answer that for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Does anybody besides me think that its pathetic that when RTE throw us a few more crumbs of High Definition content, at least five individuals who post here will be having seizures rushing to their computers announcing it?
    Is this what taxpayers are paying RTE €165 per year for. Overpaid idiots at RTE playing sillybeggers with the public.
    I think if RTE have a HD channel, show HD, or get rid of the channel.
    S**t or get off the pot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Does anybody besides me think that its pathetic that when RTE throw us a few more crumbs of High Definition content, at least five individuals who post here will be having seizures rushing to their computers announcing it?
    Is this what taxpayers are paying RTE €165 per year for. Overpaid idiots at RTE playing sillybeggers with the public.
    S**t or get off the pot.

No

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Is this what taxpayers are paying RTE €165 per year for.

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

S**t or get off the pot.

Regular HD will come. At the moment I am not too bothered as long as I can see what I am seeing clearly and in colour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

S**t or get off the pot.
    While I don't agree that we should lose the channel if there is no HD, I think the reason that Ireland is still in such a crap position digitally after 12 years of arseing about is that we as a nation are too willing to accept any old crap and say that the glass is half full instead of half empty.
    I am just watching the Saturday Game on the RTE2 HD channel and its in SD. Why is this not in HD? The HD channel was launched three weeks ago.

carrolls wrote: »
    I am just watching the Saturday Game on the RTE2 HD channel and its in SD. Why is this not in HD? The HD channel was launched three weeks ago.
    This is exactly what I am talking about. There are to many yay sayers on this forum voicing an opinion that this is an acceptable situation and to be be patient. Just like when Eamonn Ryan deprived us of BBC channels 18 months ago. If Ryan was willing to stand up to TV3 at the time I have no doubt we would be watching BBC1 and BBC2 on Saorview at the moment.
    The reason we have only four real channels on Saorview in 2011 is that we are too willing to accept the blatent B.S.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,492 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Just like when Eamonn Ryan deprived us of BBC channels 18 months ago. If Ryan was willing to stand up to TV3 at the time I have no doubt we would be watching BBC1 and BBC2 on Saorview at the moment.

The BBC aren't interested in providing its channels on Saorview
    The memorandum of understanding also provides for the carriage of TG4 on Northern Ireland’s DTT platform and facilitates the possibility of RTE being transmitted over DTT in the North and for the BBC to be carried in the South. While many viewers in Ireland and Northern Ireland watch the other country’s free-to-air TV channels through overspill, perhaps most significantly the memorandum of understanding allows the possibility of broadcasting RTE on an all-island basis for the first time in the history of the State. While the BBC has not engaged in the process for the delivery of free-to-air BBC services throughout Ireland and has no legislative remit to offer service to the island of Ireland, I am happy to report that both RTE and TG4 are fully engaged in the process we have set out.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/seanad/2011/01/13/00009.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭swoofer

you cant complain to rte as the email address used will not accept emails!! I have raised it with BAI but not much luck from then either.

We put up with too much and providers do as they please.

That RTE 2 HD dog should not be tolerated, if fact all the dogs are totally unnecessary, as sky are discovering and are losing viewers hand over fist, so what do they do.... drop the dog.

It will take us years to catch up.

gbc---

The Cush wrote: »
    While the BBC has not engaged in the process for the delivery of free-to-air BBC services throughout Ireland and has no legislative remit to offer service to the island of Ireland
    That was easy for Ryan to say after he turned his nose up at the Memorandum Of Understanding. It was Ryan covering his ass. It is what politicians do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,492 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

That was easy for Ryan to say after he turned his nose up at the Memorandum Of Understanding. It was Ryan covering his ass. It is what politicians do.

More like the BBC not willing to pay for the associated carriage and transmission costs like RTÉ/TG4 will be doing in NI on 3 transmitters. The only possibility for BBC on DTT in Ireland will be via a pay DTT service.

:confused:No HD sport this weekend either. 2 weekends ago they put out 3 varying matches in HD on RTE2 HD on Saorview. And I found the reception to be succesfull. There wasn't any sport broadcast in HD since. Why were they not able to broadcast the Limerick Waterford hurling match in HD? What is wrong?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭swoofer

As usual we get conned, and of course the logo/dog gives the impreSsion we have HD. Cant see much happening until ASO but even then unless we can get dog removed we will get very little HD.

GB-

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

RTE 2 HD Dog = Lie

3 Weeks in.

A very very bad joke.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

According to the approval given by Miniter (part time) Carey, the RTE HD channel must broadcast on the 2nd MUX. Consequently do not expect HD until the second mux is broadcasting.

Any con being perpetrated derives from this insane dictat. No advertising on RTE NN, or RTE Jr, and a +1 channel that cannot carry even the full +1 service. That is the Joke.

Advertisement