Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 2 Broadcasting in HD now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

higgz wrote: »
    Gavin and Stacey also looking very clear right now?

It's upscaled SD.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,492 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

ladder wrote: »
    that makes sense but when it comes to live sport would it be true HD ?

For sports to be transmitted in true HD they have to be shot in HD. Even if shot in HD they have to be downscaled to SD for analogue, UPC/Sky transmission.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Anybody know if the football between Kerry and Limerick will be shown in HD this Sunday evening?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i'm not sure using the DOG as a test for true HD is a valid test or not. depending on if the DOG is added post or pre scaling is all a fuzzy or clear dog can tell you.

for example, native HD material, DOG is rendered in HD and overlaid.
    for SD, two options, DOG is rendered in SD on top of HD picture, and entire picture is scaled, giving less sharp DOG
    or picture is SD, is scaled, and then DOG is rendered in HD and is applied on top of scaled picture, giving the exact same HD DOG as the first case, but on a picture that is not native HD

flicked on Blue bloods at start of week, to see ass it was a new program and HD was launched would they show it in proper HD, and all i can say was if that was HD then RTE's compression algorithm sucks. Not overly impressed with the HD offering at the moment, compared to SD the true HD stuff looks good, but compared to the other available HD offerings, it's poor. we can get into the whole debate about sat bandwidth versus terrestrial bandwidth, but on a poor quality comparison, RTE not winning the race

I rang the Saorview helpline today and they told me the Match tomorrow between Kerry and Limerick is to be shown in High-Def :) Fingers Crossed

• Advertisement

Stinicker wrote: »
    I rang the Saorview helpline today and they told me the Match tomorrow between Kerry and Limerick is to be shown in High-Def :) Fingers Crossed

I saw an Observe OB truck in Limerick today, I believe they did the matches last weekend - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72476479

The Cush wrote: »
    I saw an Observe OB truck in Limerick today, I believe they did the matches last weekend - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72476479

I'll be going to the match tomorrow evening so will try and get some photos of it. I'll be recording the match on my Technomate and external hard drive at a friends house as my own Saorview reception is crappy. This will be the first time a Kerry (or Limerick for that matter!) match has ever been recorded in HD I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Stinicker wrote: »

Just started...... Not in HD

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

RTE2HD is using a lot of bandwidth now running between 6 and 8.2mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Souriau wrote: »
    RTE2HD is using a lot of bandwidth now running between 6 and 8.2mbps

Good quality upscaled SD (much much better than sky or upc), but defo not HD.
    Anybody know why? Is there only 1 HD OB unit, and that may be in Dublin for the Meath vs Kildare game tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sob1467

Will the Ireland Macedonia match be in hd on RTE tonight. The match is been broadcast in hd on Sky Italia and UK. So the match must be going to be filmed in HD so surely RTE will broadcast it in HD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Stadium shot didn't look HD there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Good quality upscaled SD (much much better than sky or upc), but defo not HD.
    Anybody know why? Is there only 1 HD OB unit, and that may be in Dublin for the Meath vs Kildare game tomorrow?

how do you know its not HD ! You might know if you were feed hunting. Otherwise you would not.

Most if not all OBs these days are outsourced to observe and the likes. Most are HD units.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

STB wrote: »
    how do you know its not HD ! You might know if you were feed hunting. Otherwise you would not.

I am assuming that he was referring to the RTÉ Two HD feed on Saorview. And it was glaringly obvious that it wasn't in HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Match isn't in HD on Sky Sports either

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sob1467

barnicles wrote: »
    Match isn't in HD on Sky Sports either
    It is on Sky Sports HD 1 according to http://www.sky.com/. It is also on Sky Italia on HD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

The game is on Sky Sports 1 but not in HD. Even if you look at the Sky Sports Logo you can see the 'HD' has been removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭higgz

Foggy43 wrote: »
    The game is on Sky Sports 1 but not in HD. Even if you look at the Sky Sports Logo you can see the 'HD' has been removed.

A lesson on proper use of HD logos. RTÉ should stop getting our hopes up and do the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

The game is actually in HD on Sky, even though it isn't flagged as such in the EPG and doesn't have the HD DOG. Granted it wasn't HD when I first compared the picture with Saorview at the start of the game, Sky had some dreadful feed when I compared. But when I came back a few minutes later it was an HD feed.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Watching the match on rte2hd, anyone else notice it's freezing a bit ever so often?

• Advertisement

Racket wrote: »
    Sky had some dreadful feed when I compared. But when I came back a few minutes later it was an HD feed.

They had the international feed with the score in the middle of the screen. They then switched to a clean feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

What I have noticed with Sky is with games outside the UK they always have one or two of their own cameras there. Studio and interviews mostly. Yes the Sky picture quality has improved since the game has started.

Nothing on screen to indicate either match was in HD, no "available in HD on Saorview" as per the Magners League Final

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72481452#post72481452
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72488398&postcount=139

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

GAA/Irish based Sport

Best place to find out is probably the guys doing the work. They do like to blog about it!

Observe (they have several HD trucks)
    http://www.screenscene.ie/index.php?/observe_facilities/

Digital Space do a lot of the provincial GAA ob's (afaik Megalink is their HD Truck)
    http://www.digitalspace.ie/ds/index.php?/news_articles

http://www.digitalspace.ie/flyer.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭JDxtra

So, apart from one rugby match - has anything else been in HD since launch??

JDxtra wrote: »
    So, apart from one rugby match - has anything else been in HD since launch??

Tipperary v Cork was HD last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭JDxtra

...anything else for those not into sport?

An episode of Law and Order was shown in HD in the early hours of the morning last week, it wasn't advertised as such so was probably a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

:confused: I would have thought that the full launch was an indication the testing phase was over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

FFS RTE. Get it sorted.
    How fecking long has it taken ???
    Can we take them to court ?
    Displaying dogs that say one thing and then broadcasting in a different definition. Surely thats misleading advertising ?

Advertisement