Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 2 Broadcasting in HD now

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    you cant complain to rte as the email address used will not accept emails!! I have raised it with BAI but not much luck from then either.

We put up with too much and providers do as they please.

That RTE 2 HD dog should not be tolerated, if fact all the dogs are totally unnecessary, as sky are discovering and are losing viewers hand over fist, so what do they do.... drop the dog.

It will take us years to catch up.

gbc---
    Have you tried info [at] rte [dot] ie.
    If you want to make an official recorded complaint, then snail mail is still the way to go - with any company, not just RTÉ. Too easy for anyone to fire together an e-mail but a typed, printed and posted letter is taken with much more importance.

Anyway, I would imagine the RTÉ TWO HD logo is there purely to promote the platform and raise awareness of its existence.
    "Hey, you can get RTÉ Two in HD*? How do I get that?"
    "Oh, haven't you heard of SaorView?"

If RTÉ weren't trying to raise awareness as early as possible, we'd end up with 2013 upon us and a sudden panic when the analogue system is taken off-air. Wouldn't that be a big cause for complaint? :)

*Yes, the vast majority of it is in SD but until the playout and in-house production facilities are converted to HD, that's how it'll be unfortunately. BBC One HD, ITV1/2/3/4HD, FiveHD are still mainly SD programmes.
    jpmarn wrote:
    No HD sport this weekend either. 2 weekends ago they put out 3 varying matches in HD on RTE2 HD on Saorview. And I found the reception to be succesfull. There wasn't any sport broadcast in HD since. Why were they not able to broadcast the Limerick Waterford hurling match in HD? What is wrong?
    Only one of the Observe/ScreenScene OB trucks has the capacity and capability to capture and produce GAA entirely in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭OldRio

'Only one of the Observe/ScreenScene OB trucks has the capacity and capability to capture and produce GAA entirely in HD.'

Let me see. 3 weeks ago we had sport in HD. Since then nothing.
    Well either RTE are having problems or the trucks are very slow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If they insist on a HD DOG, they should have a different version when the programme is actually HD, but it should be apparent from the picture quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Kensington wrote: »
    Only one of the Observe/ScreenScene OB trucks has the capacity and capability to capture and produce GAA entirely in HD.

Is that because of the rest of the OB onsite requirements ?

Observe have 2 HD trucks, named HD1 and 2. The Digital Space MegaLink 1 Truck also has HD capacity.

STB wrote: »

Observe have 2 HD trucks, named HD1 and 2. The Digital Space MegaLink 1 Truck also has HD capacity.

HD1 is bigger - more cameras, more kit, more production gear. HD2 isn't as highly spec'd out as HD1. Do they use ML1 for OB GAA? Don't know myself.
    Also I think there may be capacity factors at play on the uplink from the GAA sites and ideally the HD feed should be at a far greater bitrate than a broadcast channel to overcome effects of cascaded lossy compression.

Now that we actually have a HD channel there should be an excuse to put in the OB and uplink facilities to handle end-to-end HD. Whereas before, the drive wasn't really there and if it was shot in HD, great, otherwise, no real loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I think myself that some of the pre-recorded series stuff is actually HD source. I recorded Camelot a couple of days ago and had a look today. It's definitely HD source and looks reasonable at normal distance. Up close it's like HD transmitted at a low bitrate, but not like upscaled SD. Are RTENL actually using some HD playout gear? Again, I'll say it - we need some of the techie people in RTENL to start a blog like the BBC HD folks. It's not as if HD is the third secret of Fatima:rolleyes: - just let us have some solid info and debate on the quality of terrestrial HD in Ireland, instead of all this idle speculation over what is and isn't HD;)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

fat-tony wrote: »
    I think myself that some of the pre-recorded series stuff is actually HD source. I recorded Camelot a couple of days ago and had a look today. It's definitely HD source and looks reasonable at normal distance. Up close it's like HD transmitted at a low bitrate, but not like upscaled SD. Are RTENL actually using some HD playout gear? Again, I'll say it - we need some of the techie people in RTENL to start a blog like the BBC HD folks. It's not as if HD is the third secret of Fatima:rolleyes: - just let us have some solid info and debate on the quality of terrestrial HD in Ireland, instead of all this idle speculation over what is and isn't HD;)

RTENL are the terrestrial equivalent of UPC and Sky, they get handed a complete TV signal and transmit it, content/playout is nothing to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

copacetic wrote: »
    RTENL are the terrestrial equivalent of UPC and Sky, they get handed a complete TV signal and transmit it, content/playout is nothing to do with them.
    Well - that's pretty meaningless.:rolleyes: Is the playout system HD equipped or not? Looks pretty good on some material, but not on others. Until we get confirmation it's guessing time!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Well - that's pretty meaningless.:rolleyes: Is the playout system HD equipped or not? Looks pretty good on some material, but not on others. Until we get confirmation it's guessing time!

Apologies, just noting the difference between RTE and RTENL. Not sure why you think it's meaningless? RTENL have nothing at all to do with which programmes are HD or not, no more than Sky or UPC do.

RTENL do have a role in the quality of the signal the viewer at home receives though. If and when Sky and UPC start transmitting RTE2 HD the quality will likely be much better on those platforms as they have more bandwidth to play with.

Camelot was in SD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

Camelot was not in HD. You will know a HD source when you see it immediately. Just go to BBC1 HD and you will see what I mean.

• Advertisement

Live broadcast play-through only for the moment. Their tapeless HD playout system hasn't been commissioned as of yet, still on the SD Snell Compass system with DB tapes.
    Professional grade, high quality up-scaling done correctly looks pretty damn good - the Sony PS3, for example, has a fantastic up-scaler built in and will upscale a DVD video to what looks close to true HD. Closer inspection will reveal that it's not actually HD, particularly if you know what to look for, but to the average viewer it's extremely difficult to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

carrolls wrote: »
    Camelot was not in HD. You will know a HD source when you see it immediately. Just go to BBC1 HD and you will see what I mean.

Or look at Camelot on Channel 4HD - looks and sounds great with 5.1 sound. Do RTE ever plan to give us that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

evilivor wrote: »
    Or look at Camelot on Channel 4HD - looks and sounds great with 5.1 sound. Do RTE ever plan to give us that?
    I for one unfortunately have no confidence in it ever happening. 4 hours of HD in the last month on a designated "HD" channel is nothing short of shocking.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

carrolls wrote: »
    I for one unfortunately have no confidence in it ever happening. 4 hours of HD in the last month on a designated "HD" channel is nothing short of shocking.

Unless they are precluded by law as a result of Minister (pert-time) Carey's last little action before he lost his seat, making it so that RTE 2 HD could broadcast on the not yet ready 2nd MUX. He also appointed a croney to a plum job just before he retired to collect his €165,000 lump sum pay off and his €45,000 pension. But then that is politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Human Planet on 2HD atm looks really good - even for upscaled SD. Is the HD playout hear supposed to be in place by sept?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Sky would never allow RTE Two HD to appear as a HD channel on their EPG. They have minimum requirements for HD content and RTE haven't a hope of meeting them anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

STB wrote: »

Maybe it is the satellite uplink trucks not being full HD compliant??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

JDxtra wrote: »
    Sky would never allow RTE Two HD to appear as a HD channel on their EPG. They have minimum requirements for HD content and RTE haven't a hope of meeting them anytime soon.

What are their minimum requirements?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭JDxtra

One of the requirements is "no less than 75% native HD programmes". Epic fail for RTE on that one!

Source: http://corporate.sky.com/documents/pdf/20c24d2e1c62406594e1a79de5f917db/supplementary_methodology_for_hd_channels_march_2008.pdf

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

In a market as small as Ireland, if Saorview and UPC had Rte2hd I would wager those sky standards would be waived to get it on there...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

spockety wrote: »
    In a market as small as Ireland, if Saorview and UPC had Rte2hd I would wager those sky standards would be waived to get it on there...
    i'd have that wager
    in market as small as Ireland, if there have little to no true HD material on it, why would they bother. it would take up as much room as a HD channel, and do nothing more than a decent scalar would do. be a waste of their time.

if they stepepd it up to a decent porportion of native hd programming i could see that changing, but until then i think you're overestimating the value of an upscaled sd channel to any provider, not just sky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Visited my local Curry's Digital shop and I was talking to a man I know. He was demonstrating that some of the daytime childrens programmes were going out in HD on RTE 2. I saw one of the programme while in the shop. It seemed to have a clarity of full HD. It was a BBC CBeebies production. This man thought that the Limerick Waterford was in HD. I wasn't at home at the time as I attended the same match. But I recorded it on my PC using the Saorview RTE2 HD signal. On playback I thought the production was'nt in full HD. Some shots seemed to have the clarity. Did anyone out there thought that the match went out in HD or not? And if the match was in full HD did I loose clarity due to my PC settings. My PC has an Intel i5 Processor hauppauge hybrid Dtt and Satellite runing Win 7 Media centre.

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Visited my local Curry's Digital shop and I was talking to a man I know. He was demonstrating that some of the daytime childrens programmes were going out in HD on RTE 2. I saw one of the programme while in the shop. It seemed to have a clarity of full HD. It was a BBC CBeebies production. This man thought that the Limerick Waterford was in HD. I wasn't at home at the time as I attended the same match. But I recorded it on my PC using the Saorview RTE2 HD signal. On playback I thought the production was'nt in full HD. Some shots seemed to have the clarity. Did anyone out there thought that the match went out in HD or not? And if the match was in full HD did I loose clarity due to my PC settings. My PC has an Intel i5 Processor hauppauge hybrid Dtt and Satellite runing Win 7 Media centre.

You shouldn't lose any quality when recording on a PC as it's just dumping the transport stream to disk. So what you recorded is how it was transmitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,507 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Did anyone out there thought that the match went out in HD or not?

The match wasn't transmitted in HD.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

plus the childrens stuff on bbc isn't broadcast in HD over there, so no chance of it being here.

mossym wrote: »
    plus the childrens stuff on bbc isn't broadcast in HD over there, so no chance of it being here.
    Some of the children's programmes do get broadcast on the BBC HD Channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Any chance of the Mayo v Galway being in HD tomorrow?

This evenings Dublin Galway Match looks like is in HD or not very far from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Any chance of the Mayo v Galway being in HD tomorrow?

It's tomorrow week! Don't know about HD though, I hope so!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

law and order in hd now

Advertisement