Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 2 Broadcasting in HD now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

That's not true. From the two Native HD events we've had so far.....RTE2 HD is just as good as BBC HD!

We just need more of it!!
    I just wish RTE would communicate with us on the reason we are not getting at least more sporting events in native hd. The only plausible reason is that they are waiting for Mux2 to be fully tested and operational.

From what I can establish RTÉ Two HD is working from mux 1 delivering a bandwidth of 24.128Mbps, from which it has been allocated approx 6.2Mbps. BBC HD & BBC One HD operate from a transponder delivering 40.63Mbps from which they both cull over 20% of the available bitrate each, allowing 1440x1080 screen resolution 5.1 DD sound and sometimes peaking @ almost 17Mbps (not far from a complete Saorview DTT mux). IMO DTT cannot match satellite HD quality - maybe Saorsat may satisfy some of the quality issues. But atm opinions over on the DS forums suggest that the BBC HD channels on satellite are being held back so that they don't "outshine" their clones on Freeview DTT where bandwidth is at a premium & BBC are obliged to give equal preference to both platforms.
    E & O accepted;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

From what I can establish RTÉ Two HD is working from mux 1 delivering a bandwidth of 24.128Mbps, from which it has been allocated approx 6.2Mbps. BBC HD & BBC One HD operate from a transponder delivering 40.63Mbps from which they both cull over 20% of the available bitrate each, allowing 1440x1080 screen resolution 5.1 DD sound and sometimes peaking @ almost 17Mbps (not far from a complete Saorview DTT mux). IMO DTT cannot match satellite HD quality - maybe Saorsat may satisfy some of the quality issues. But atm opinions over on the DS forums suggest that the BBC HD channels on satellite are being held back so that they don't "outshine" their clones on Freeview DTT where bandwidth is at a premium & BBC are obliged to give equal preference to both platforms.
    E & O accepted;)

think your last statement is unnecessary, you're pretty bang on with your numbers from my understanding too..

Apologies, I should have put "in my opinion" in front of my statement. But I'd be willing to bet most people (without your 9 foot screen and projector.....which isn't quite the norm yet) wouldn't see much if any difference.
    But hey, we're not going to start an argument :)

tbh mate didn't post it to be bragging, just sometimes a big screen displays the weaknesses not seen on smaller screens, but as you say as mine isn't the norm it RTE shouldn't be put to the sword over it. it's all in the eye of the viewer, and if on a standard 32-40" tv range as most homes would have the difference isn't there, that could be enough. however if you really look at them, bbc is ahead of rte by a margin in terms of PQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

From what I can establish RTÉ Two HD is working from mux 1 delivering a bandwidth of 24.128Mbps, from which it has been allocated approx 6.2Mbps. ;)

Absolutely and that is why they will be moving to Mux 2. The thing with stat muxing is it squeezes the other stations on the mux when weight is given to the likes of a HD station. And that can be seen visually when there are too many stations and a HD channel on.

STB wrote: »
    Absolutely and that is why they will be moving to Mux 2. The thing with stat muxing is it squeezes the other stations on the mux when weight is given to the likes of a HD station. And that can be seen visually when there are too many stations and a HD channel on.

i'm sure it has been said on another thread, not not seen it, but was there any indication of them expanding the bandwidth if it moved to the second mux?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭MRPRO03

Anyone know if tonights match, Sligo Rovers v Shamrock Rovers be in HD ?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

MRPRO03 wrote: »
    Anyone know if tonights match, Sligo Rovers v Shamrock Rovers be in HD ?

No, Sunday's live GAA is next HD event.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

copacetic wrote: »

Would that be Dublin and Kildare copacetic? Do you have some insider info; If so would you have any idea is the Munster football final between Kerry and Cork in Killarney going to be broadcast in HD on July 3rd?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Stinicker wrote: »
    Would that be Dublin and Kildare copacetic? Do you have some insider info; If so would you have any idea is the Munster football final between Kerry and Cork in Killarney going to be broadcast in HD on July 3rd?

The whole programme on Sunday, no HD from Killarney. July 10, next HD day, both games. (Munster Hurling Final, Leinster Football final).

After that most weekends will have a HD match, majority from Croke Park.

mossym wrote: »
    would broadcasting a 720*576 signal then not given the same increase in quality, and less bandwidth required? and given many of the programs they are doing this upscaling for are available in native HD anyway(due to the disproportionate amount of popcorn tv RTE as a PBS show), it's a wasted effort
    Not really, as your TV would have to upscale the picture anyway. There's only two ways they could do this, simulcast SD and HD, or else dyamically switch resolution between programming, and I'm not sure if that's even possible.

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »

Source?

Found it!!!!!!
    GAA Coverage This Weekend on RTÉ

24 June 2011

This weekend is the busiest in the GAA Championship in terms of matches with no less than 14 games taking place over the weekend all of which will be covered by RTÉ Television. The action begins on The Saturday Game Live with coverage of Louth v Meath in the All Ireland senior football qualifiers as they go head to head once again following their controversial meeting last July.

On Sunday GAA goes high definition with the a live double header to look forward on RTÉ Two HD on Saorview in addition to coverage on RTÉ Two as old rivals Mayo take on Galway in the West and Dublin face Kildare at GAA headquarters. The Sunday Game Live will also include the draw for Round 2 of the All Ireland senior football qualifiers.

Later that evening The Sunday Game will feature all of the weekend's action made up of eight football qualifiers, two hurling qualifiers, four provincial games including Wexford's meeting with Carlow and the Ulster senior football semi-final between Donegal and Tyrone and a report from the latest round of the camogie championship.

The Saturday Game Live 6.30pm on RTÉ Two
    Louth v Meath
    The Sunday Game Live 1.30pm on RTÉ Two
    Mayo v Galway and Dublin v Kildare

The Sunday Game Live in HD 1.30pm on RTÉ Two HD on Saorview
    The Sunday Game 9.00pm on RTÉ Two
    http://www.hoganstand.com/Dublin/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=150288

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Is it just me, or during tonight's Saturday Game intro, was the DOG very sharp during the time when the Parental Rating came out, and when it went back in it turned back to a soft one?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Found it!!!!!!
    GAA Coverage This Weekend on RTÉ

24 June 2011

This weekend is the busiest in the GAA Championship in terms of matches with no less than 14 games taking place over the weekend all of which will be covered by RTÉ Television. The action begins on The Saturday Game Live with coverage of Louth v Meath in the All Ireland senior football qualifiers as they go head to head once again following their controversial meeting last July.

On Sunday GAA goes high definition with the a live double header to look forward on RTÉ Two HD on Saorview in addition to coverage on RTÉ Two as old rivals Mayo take on Galway in the West and Dublin face Kildare at GAA headquarters. The Sunday Game Live will also include the draw for Round 2 of the All Ireland senior football qualifiers.

Later that evening The Sunday Game will feature all of the weekend's action made up of eight football qualifiers, two hurling qualifiers, four provincial games including Wexford's meeting with Carlow and the Ulster senior football semi-final between Donegal and Tyrone and a report from the latest round of the camogie championship.

The Saturday Game Live 6.30pm on RTÉ Two
    Louth v Meath
    The Sunday Game Live 1.30pm on RTÉ Two
    Mayo v Galway and Dublin v Kildare

The Sunday Game Live in HD 1.30pm on RTÉ Two HD on Saorview
    The Sunday Game 9.00pm on RTÉ Two
    http://www.hoganstand.com/Dublin/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=150288

Was waiting for more official confirmation than hoganstand.com..... Just got it from Michael Lester who has just confirmed tomorrow's games are in HD! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Was waiting for more official confirmation than hoganstand.com..... Just got it from Michael Lester who has just confirmed tomorrow's games are in HD! :D

me too, very happy with that news.

Jeez it's like some covert need to know CIA operation that RTE have got goin on here & that any future info on HD programming schedules will only be available under the freedom of information act. Can someone make them aware of the various tools they have at their disposal for relating programme information to the public. We all know what they are but maybe RTE think nobody else knows how except themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Jeez it's like some covert need to know CIA operation that RTE have got goin on here & that any future info on HD programming schedules will only be available under the freedom of information act. Can someone make them aware of the various tools they have at their disposal for relating programme information to the public. We all know what they are but maybe RTE think nobody else knows how except themselves.

Bet if we had TV3HD (realistically in 3 to 4 years from now), RTE would be advertising around the clock, have details on the EPG, and a centre page spread in the RTE guide :D

Yep. I had (I must admit a very quick) look thru' the RTÉ Guide yesterday & saw nothing promoting Saorview or HD highlights for the week ahead. Also none of the TV promos' for this weekend's GAA mentioned HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭higgz

Mayo vs Galway in HD - excellent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 boredwalk

Long awaited, but wow, well worth it! the picture quaility is excellent!
    as a Kildare man, I'm settling down to a great afternoon's veiwing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭swoofer

What a travesty, how could that have been a free, I dont think gaa will be pleased.

gb--

Karsini wrote: »
    Not really, as your TV would have to upscale the picture anyway. There's only two ways they could do this, simulcast SD and HD, or else dyamically switch resolution between programming, and I'm not sure if that's even possible.

that's my point. your tv has to do it anyway(well aware of that), so rte doing it at source only increases the bandwidth needed, and the storage space required, for something your tv is doing anyway. and the american channels were able to do switch when they did HD first, i was living in the US at the time and the resolution would switch on the fly.

even the BBC are doing it, on Freeview the HD channels are flicking between 1080i and 1080p on the fly, causing tv's to lose lock. it's problem for them as tehy are doing it in the middle of programs, but if you only did at the start of a HD programme and afterwards it wouldn't be such a big deal.

anyway, given we ahd some Hd over the weekend, it's not such a big deal, as i said as long as we are getitng some i'll gladly take the upscaled for the rest

even the BBC are doing it, on Freeview the HD channels are flicking between 1080i and 1080p on the fly, causing tv's to lose lock. it's problem for them as tehy are doing it in the middle of programs, but if you only did at the start of a HD programme and afterwards it wouldn't be such a big deal.

No broadcast channel runs in 1080p, they're all 1080i.

Karsini wrote: »
    No broadcast channel runs in 1080p, they're all 1080i.

really?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/23/bbc-hd-quietly-begins-broadcasting-in-1080p-but-not-all-sony-hd/

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

If RTE want to upscale a program when there is no HD source
    can it not use a lower resolution, maybe either
    720 x 576p EDTV
    1280 x 720p HDTV
    both above would be lower bandwidth and when a full HD is required sure they can switch to 1920 x 1080i

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Some of the Wimbledon tennis this year is being broadcast in 1080p on BBC. And the grass does look greener..........:cool:

I'm surprised by that. They're barely allocating enough bandwidth for 1080i, let alone 1080p. I was always of the belief that you'd need 20Mbps+ to get decent quality on 1080p.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

they have upped it for Wimbledon. so they can show the final in 3D .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Souriau wrote: »
    If RTE want to upscale a program when there is no HD source
    can it not use a lower resolution, maybe either
    720 x 576p EDTV
    1280 x 720p HDTV
    both above would be lower bandwidth and when a full HD is required sure they can switch to 1920 x 1080i

1280 x _720 x 50 = 46080000 pixels
    1440 x 1080 x 25 = 38880000 pixels

RTE don't transmit 1920 x 1080i which would be 1920 x 1080 x 25 = 51840000,
    RTE uses 1440 x 1080i, which is near enough Anamorphic WS. SD in 768 x 576i 16:9 would be same shape pixels.

50p and 25i 50Hz are actually the SAME static resolution. Only differ in Temporal resolution.

Film is all 24p, so played on 1920x1080i and 1920x1080p is identical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Any info on whether Kerry v Cork Munster Final will be in HD today?

Advertisement