Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 2 Broadcasting in HD now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Hylus83

For today's GAA games, only the second match will be HD! Why? I can't understand why RTE don't broadcast all footage from the pitch (or the studio) in HD - since they now have the ability to do so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

mossym wrote: »
    surprised at the fantastc comments about the rugby. admittedly was at the match so only watched it after wathing the CL on ITVHD last ngiht, but thought the rte hd picture was very very soft compared to itv hd, which is generally the worst of the itv/bbc/sky hd offerings, will be interested to see the gaa today but really not impressed with the rte hd offering

Was it a highlights show on RTE2 you were watching? That may have been upscaled SD only.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

surprised at the fantastc comments about the rugby. admittedly was at the match so only watched it after wathing the CL on ITVHD last ngiht, but thought the rte hd picture was very very soft compared to itv hd, which is generally the worst of the itv/bbc/sky hd offerings, will be interested to see the gaa today but really not impressed with the rte hd offering

The CL was SD on RTE.
    Hylus83 wrote: »
    For today's GAA games, only the second match will be HD! Why? I can't understand why RTE don't broadcast all footage from the pitch (or the studio) in HD - since they now have the ability to do so!

RTE might only have one HD outside broadcast unit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Was it a highlights show on RTE2 you were watching? That may have been upscaled SD only.

nope, i had recorded the live showing of the match, it was hd alright, just poor in my opinion

seanp_25 wrote: »
    The CL was SD on RTE.

i watched the rugby after watching the CL on itvhd, so didn't even watch the CL on rte. my comments were about the rugby, i wouldn't watch soccer on rte unless it was the very last resort.

i recorded the HD broadcast of the rugby from RTE and watched it later, on my setiup it looked soft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,492 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Hylus83 wrote: »

The studio HD upgrade doesn't happen until 2012 at the earliest with the Project 2025 redevelopment of the RTÉ campus.

As far as we know the playout system has been replaced which allows external live native-HD events to "pass-through" and in the near future pre-recorded HD material (movies, tv series etc) to be played out. In-house HD productions next year or later.

RTE might only have one HD outside broadcast unit.

i imagine RTE have none, and rely on supplied footage from companies with OB units, they do for the rugby(ar at least did until the match on saturday, it being HD something may have changed)

nope, i had recorded the live showing of the match, it was hd alright, just poor in my opinion

How did you record it in HD?

just watching the hurling, and on a 40" tv it looks a lot better than my main setup, which is to be expected. However comparing rte versus the uk HD channels last night on the main setup, the rte definitely looks inferior, tough to do any real comparisions without the same material though.

woll see how the HD Looks now when it comes on

The Cush wrote: »
    How did you record it in HD?

Windows media center PC with a DVB-T Card, recording the TS stream

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Any chance of an upload of a few seconds of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Tipp v Cork in native HD now.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Hylus83

Wow, the difference between RTE2 HD via Saorview & that of an upscaled SD Picture on my HD UPC box is pretty big!

Can you post a pic of the intro animation (full screen one, not the little one), that included "available in HD on Saorview" before the match?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭sky23

I wish they would have The Walking Dead and Blue Bloods in HD. Any chance that they will?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

I have a Samsung 32 inch HD tv. Now I am only running this with an indoor aerial (the rabbit ears one, about 100 years old), but as the TV is Digital ready Im receiving all the channels (3e, rte news now etc.)

So I dont think I need Saorview...but I am getting the true HD on Network 2? (yeah i still call it network!)

The only reason im doubting is I havent heard many people saying they are in the same situation, and everyone is running around getting saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Apogee

Your Samsung is Saorview compatible (if possibly not certified) so you don't need anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

brilliant...

just watched the hurling in HD....anyone else think the managers got makeup before their post match interview?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

The announcer just announced Cool Runnings would be in HD, doesn't look it to me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

They are getting their money's worth now with Cool Runnings showing in HD!

The DOG tag needs to be done in HD mind you, and a good bit fainter to make it that bit less obvious. I think its just the block of white that the HD is in is too much, if they had the HD on its own a bit like BBC1hd it might not be so obvious.

• Advertisement

barnicles wrote: »
    The announcer just announced Cool Runnings would be in HD, doesn't look it to me

Its not, probably meant on RTÉ2 HD.

barnicles wrote: »

Upscaled SD. No mention of HD in the EPG. DOG is soft looking too unlike the hurling earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

That's what I thought, the DOG looks soft as normal, if they announce that it's on RTE Two HD before every programme it sorta defeats the purpose, most people with DTT do know it's on channel 2, considering they're watching it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I made a comparison of the RTE2 HD DOG for upscaled SD vs HD.

Both of these are taken from 1080p images.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/55507 (use mouse over to compare)
    Two different DOGs I think. I was watching the hurling today and as soon as they switched to the outside broadcast the dog changed to the sharper version as you posted from yesterday's rugby. Id say the Observe (OB company) equipment are originating a genuinely higher resolution graphic overlay than the RTE studio can generate at the moment. The announcer on RTE Two implied just now that a HD version of "Cool Runnings" was available on Saorview, but it's just upscaled - nice , but not HD.

RTE should rethink this to clear up the confusion. If they are going to use DOGs at all, either have no DOG if theres no HD, like Channel 4HD does, or remove the HD section of the DOG as Channel 5 does.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

I flicked over to Criminal Minds on RTE2 at around 3.30 this morning and it was definately on in true HD, I always watch it on Sky Living HD but the RTE2 HD picture was a lot better than it this morning, superb quality on a 50" Panasonic screen

Finne1993 wrote: »
    I flicked over to Criminal Minds on RTE2 at around 3.30 this morning and it was definately on in true HD, I always watch it on Sky Living HD but the RTE2 HD picture was a lot better than it this morning, superb quality on a 50" Panasonic screen

Could it have been running at 8 Mbps upscaled? HD DOG?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

The Cush wrote: »
    Could it have been running at 8 Mbps upscaled? HD DOG?

I've seen a few of the upscaled programmes thats been on already and even though they are decent pictures, they were nowhere near the quality of what was on this morning

fat-tony wrote: »
    The announcer on RTE Two implied just now that a HD version of "Cool Runnings" was available on Saorview, but it's just upscaled - nice , but not HD.

that was my take on what they said as well, they made it sound like it was going to be HD. very poor form by them. just because people don't understand what it is doesn't mean you can be ambiguos about it

• Advertisement

Any chance of an upload of a few seconds of that?

not sure i'd have the time to edit the file down and convert it. where are you based? anywhere around limerick?

Advertisement