Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 2 Broadcasting in HD now

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

The Cush wrote: »
    Can you post a pic of the intro animation (full screen one, not the little one), that included "available in HD on Saorview" before the match?

will do it when i switch on the projector tonight

you're in limerick, can give you a copy of the recording if you want. the file is 12GB though..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,492 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Finne1993 wrote: »
    I've seen a few of the upscaled programmes thats been on already and even though they are decent pictures, they were nowhere near the quality of what was on this morning

Someone else posted last night that Desperate Housewives was in HD also but it wasn't, they may have allocated a higher bitrate to the upscaled material, the HD DOG is a good indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

Someone else posted last night that Desperate Housewives was in HD also but it wasn't, they may have allocated a higher bitrate to the upscaled material, the HD DOG is a good indicator.

Yep, the HD DOG was clearly in HD, pin sharp edges on it just as it was for the rugby yesterday, I noticed that it was'nt so clear on a couple of other programmes.

Finne1993 wrote: »
    Yep, the HD DOG was clearly in HD, pin sharp edges on it just as it was for the rugby yesterday, I noticed that it was'nt so clear on a couple of other programmes.

Testing the playout system maybe for pre-recorded material.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

Testing the playout system maybe for pre-recorded material.

I was thinking the same myself, best to test in the middle of the night on repeat programmes rather than prime viewing times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

mossym wrote: »
    not sure i'd have the time to edit the file down and convert it. where are you based? anywhere around limerick?

Nay unfortunately, but thanks anyway! :) I'll wait for the World Cup warmups for the next HD game.

Nay unfortunately, but thanks anyway! :) I'll wait for the World Cup warmups for the next HD game.

i'll see if there is a quick way of doing it, , but editing video files normally takes a long time

will do it when i switch on the projector tonight

you're in limerick, can give you a copy of the recording if you want. the file is 12GB though..:)

here you go..

apologies for the windowed view, alt + print screen while running WMC gives a black screen only. If you have a specific need i can try and get a full screen view

magnershd1.jpg

one without the timeline bar

magnershd2.jpg

and a shot from the game

magnershd3.jpg

Can you post a pic of the intro animation (full screen one, not the little one), that included "available in HD on Saorview" before the match?
    here you go..

apologies for the windowed view, alt + print screen while running WMC gives a black screen only. If you have a specific need i can try and get a full screen view

magnershd1.jpg

Thanks for that, mossym. We didn't have an animation like that for the match today. Just the smaller one that was posted yesterday by holidaysong (gone now, @holidaysong can you upload the pic again).

The smaller graphic will probably be the standard, this from RTÉ previously
    It is planned that the service will carry a new logo/bug ‘RTÉ 2 HD’ and also a short animation will be played, probably a lower third super, on handover to the live event.
    In all cases the transmission schedule/running order will contain specific data to indicate the true HD events.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Watched the first few minutes of munster leinster on rte2 HD at home . Great quality, I then had to watch it on SD from sky at my friends for the remainder of the game, crap quality.

Its hard to go back to SD after HD.

Thats how they will sell saorview, push the Hd sports and sky will lose out unless they start showing it in HD too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Saorview is not there to compete with Sky. Sky wont lose out on anything.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Saorview is not there to compete with Sky. Sky wont lose out on anything.

They may lose a small amount on multiroom abandonments

Law and Order: Criminal Intent, Law and Order and the movie Running with Scissors are in HD tonight, HD Dog.

Definitely testing playout in HD. No indication of HD in the programme information which is disappointing.

Running With Scissors is most definately being upscaled atm. I wish RTE would drop the HD part of the DOG when upscaling.

RTE Two HD on screen at all times seems to be confusing many people

Running With Scissors is most definately being upscaled atm. I wish RTE would drop the HD part of the DOG when upscaling.

The "RTE Two HD" Dog wasn't the upscaled one, it was the sharp HD one we saw during the 2 games.

Similar also posted for the previous 2 nights, probably playing out pre recorded material for testing purposes without announcement.

I watched a bit of Running With Scissors and it wasn't the sharp HD DOG when I saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Thanks for that, mossym. We didn't have an animation like that for the match today. Just the smaller one that was posted yesterday by holidaysong (gone now, @holidaysong can you upload the pic again).

Done.

5775001203_f8e6e52ff9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Bet you can't wait for Home & Away to be transmitted in true HD:D

I'd imagine so.. location Alf stewarts love dungeon lol :D

• Advertisement

haha

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Is there any info on the next HD stuff to be broadcast?

On Saturday at 7pm, RTE2 is showing Limerick v Kerry (Munster Senior Football Championship semi-final) and on Sunday at 2pm, Meath v Kildare (Leinster Senior Football Championship quarter-final).

Hopefully we'll see one or both of these in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ladder

seanp_25 wrote: »
    Is there any info on the next HD stuff to be broadcast?

On Saturday at 7pm, RTE2 is showing Limerick v Kerry (Munster Senior Football Championship semi-final) and on Sunday at 2pm, Meath v Kildare (Leinster Senior Football Championship quarter-final).

Hopefully we'll see one or both of these in HD.
    now thats exciting is it confirmed that it will be in HD ??
    GAA in HD relaxing on the sofa sur its almost as good as being there !!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

No, I'm asking if they'll be in HD.

Sorry my mistake but im sure that if its all going HD then it would be.
    And there i was getting excited about GAA HD oh well !!

This maybe a stupid question but im asking it anway, does it have to be filmed in HD ?? i.e sports etc to be broadcast in HD ?

ladder wrote: »
    This maybe a stupid question but im asking it anway, does it have to be filmed in HD ?? i.e sports etc to be broadcast in HD ?

Yes - for true HD and no - most of the content on RTÉ2 HD at the moment is upscaled SD and transmitted in 1080i HD format .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

CSI NY looks to me like its in HD, the DOG is very pronounced like the image posted here earlier in the thread, can someone please verify. I could be mistaken though

Yes - for true HD and no - most of the content on RTÉ2 HD at the moment is upscaled SD and transmitted in 1080i HD format .

that makes sense but when it comes to live sport would it be true HD ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭higgz

Gavin and Stacey also looking very clear right now?

Advertisement