Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 2 Broadcasting in HD now

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

pof233 wrote: »
    Hey, I have a 50" Full HD Samsung, I currently use UPC.

To get RTEHD do i just need to get one of them old aerials, unplug the upc, stick the aerial in and try to manually tune in RTE and itll now be in HD format?

are they showing the CL final in HD tomorrow nite?

If you get a suitable diplexer, you can combine the UPC signal with the Saorview one (depending on where you are located) and have both on your TV at the same time. It will not work everywhere, as the Saorview signal would need to be above channel 40 or so. You just connect the UPC cable into one input, the aerial into the other and the output to the TV. If you feed multiple TVs, then do the combine before you split out the signal.

You still need a compatible TV or a set top box for each TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

Have any programs on rte two been in hd yet, watching camelot not and it look upscaled the same picture quality as last week. Is the hd dog staying on all the time because it will make people think they are watching all programs in hd.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭dellWlan

Not sure if it's been mentioned earlier but what resolution is rte hd going to be in? 1080i?
    I'm watching it via play tv and have always found 720p a better option than 1080i, my tv is hd ready not full hd. Will this affect picture quality? Should I change settings to match rte's?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Apogee

1440x1080 - the same as BBC One HD and BBC HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,492 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Is the hd dog staying on all the time because it will make people think they are watching all programs in hd.

I'd guess it's going to remain full time as the channel is transmitted in 1080i format all the time.

The plan from last August was that a short animation would be played on handover to an HD event.

This from RTÉ
    It is planned that the service will carry a new logo/bug ‘RTÉ 2 HD’ and also a short animation will be played, probably a lower third super, on handover to the live event.
    In all cases the transmission schedule/running order will contain specific data to indicate the true HD events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭dellWlan

Apogee wrote: »
    1440x1080 - the same as BBC One HD and BBC HD.

Thanks.
    Maybe a coincidence but play tv kept crashing, changed video output to 1080i and so far so good.

What is the audio format? As a precaution I've put the sound back through my tv as linear PCM rather than optical out in the fancier formats.

Coincidence. Still crashing. I'll head off to ps3 forum for some answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

The Cush wrote: »
    The plan from last August was that a short animation would be played on handover to an HD event.

Hopefully we'll see that around 5pm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Not yet. Magners League Final kicks off at 5pm. Wait till after that starts until you decide!

OK, definitely Impressive HD quality on RTE HD , compared to RTE 2 via UPC ..

• Registered Users Posts: 33 LostChild

bob11 wrote: »
    OK, definitely Impressive HD quality on RTE HD , compared to RTE 2 via UPC ..

Yep, very impressed with the quality on RTE2 HD. Especially compared to regular RTE 2 on my sky hd box!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sounds like a general thumbs up so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

RTE2 HD, 0x44e running at 8mbps, 33% of Mux1 capacity
    RTE1, 0x044d at 9%
    TV3, 0x044f at 5%
    TG4, 0x0450 at 15%
    RTE News, 0x0551 at 5%

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Souriau wrote: »
    RTE2 HD, 0x44e running at 8mbps, 33% of Mux1 capacity
    RTE1, 0x044d at 9%
    TV3, 0x044f at 5%
    TG4, 0x0450 at 15%
    RTE News, 0x0551 at 5%

When I got Sky HD on launch day in 2006 I remember people saying the bbc hd transmission was running at 30+mbps, I was blown away by the quality.

The hd quality has been a steady decline since then for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

BBC HD is only about 8 or 9 Mbps these days.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    BBC HD is only about 8 or 9 Mbps these days.

Yes but I'd bet any money they're not using the same encoder for their 9Mbps output as they were for their 30Mbps output.

H.264 encoding has moved on significantly since the early days of BBC HD testing.

While I'm not suggesting bitrates don't play a part, and perhaps there has been a noticeable drop in output quality on BBC HD, it may be the case that the encoder they're using at the moment can get the same perceived quality at, say, 15Mbps as their old encoder was getting at 30Mbps.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

spockety wrote: »
    Yes but I'd bet any money they're not using the same encoder for their 9Mbps output as they were for their 30Mbps output.

H.264 encoding has moved on significantly since the early days of BBC HD testing.

While I'm not suggesting bitrates don't play a part, and perhaps there has been a noticeable drop in output quality on BBC HD, it may be the case that the encoder they're using at the moment can get the same perceived quality at, say, 15Mbps as their old encoder was getting at 30Mbps.
    Yes, I think BBC said something along these lines alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

it could be in 3d still would,nt watch the crap on rte2.

patwicklow wrote: »
    it could be in 3d still would,nt watch the crap on rte2.

That's nice to know. Run along now.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭higgz

Desperate Housewives on now in HD, brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,492 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

higgz wrote: »
    Desperate Housewives on now in HD, brilliant :D

Doesn't look HD to me, upscaled SD. No indication in the programme info that it's HD as with the rugby earlier. Also RTÉ would have been advertising the fact all week if it was to be broadcast in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

The Cush wrote: »
    Doesn't look HD to me, upscaled SD. No indication in the programme info that it's HD as with the rugby earlier. Also RTÉ would have been advertising the fact all week if it was to be broadcast in HD.
    I would agree to this statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I definitely thought the CL Final was better quality, but not really that great tbh.

When I switched over to watch it on ITV SD on Sky there was a noticeable difference, but it did not appear to be as good as WC2010 on BBC (from memory).

Yes. That is because it was upscaled and not HD on RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

LostChild wrote: »
    Yep, very impressed with the quality on RTE2 HD. Especially compared to regular RTE 2 on my sky hd box!
    I thought the RTE2HD quality was excellant. Big Thumbs Up.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

It goes to show how bad HD is/has become that people are debating whether something was in HD or not. If HD was all it was supposed to be it should be immediately apparent if something is in HD.

In the right light and from just the right angle, HD looks almost as good as old cathode ray TV used to look.

We've been sold a pup.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

With Upscaling of SD that was downscaled from HD it's not so simple!

See samples and discussion here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056094972

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jim from Cork

I must say I thought the rugby picture quality was superb - whatever it was! (I've never had HD at home)
    I watched the first half at home but dragged myself to the pub for the second half:) - the picture (chorus) was poor in the pub! I nearly went back home (only nearly):).

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

I made a comparison of the RTE2 HD DOG for upscaled SD vs HD.

Both of these are taken from 1080p images.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/55507 (use mouse over to compare)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

It goes to show how bad HD is/has become that people are debating whether something was in HD or not. If HD was all it was supposed to be it should be immediately apparent if something is in HD.

In the right light and from just the right angle, HD looks almost as good as old cathode ray TV used to look.

We've been sold a pup.
    Actually it was blindingly obvious from the first frame beamed from the stadium that this wasn't HD. I pointed this out on another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Does anybody have a few seconds of footage saved from the rugby yesterday? I've scoured t'internet looking for some. Judging from the screenshot posted, it looks fantastic.

I was planning on watching it at a friends house but managed to blag a pair of tickets yesterday morning!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

surprised at the fantastc comments about the rugby. admittedly was at the match so only watched it after wathing the CL on ITVHD last ngiht, but thought the rte hd picture was very very soft compared to itv hd, which is generally the worst of the itv/bbc/sky hd offerings, will be interested to see the gaa today but really not impressed with the rte hd offering

Advertisement