Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 2 Broadcasting in HD now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

ShaneOC wrote: »
    The "Available in HD on Saorview" was also shown during the build up.

Thanks for that Shane, missed some of the build up to the match.

In that case they didn't need to do it again, enough clutter on screen already.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Is the pre match and half time analysis form the studios broadcast in hd today? It looks like it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

Saw the tail end of the Wales on BBC One HD earlier, in camparison the RTÉ HD picture seems to be clearer & sharper today. Maybe this was due to the fact that the Wales game was played with the stadium roof closed & lit by artifical light only, whereas the game in the Aviva is under natural light complimented by floodlights.

the game on BBC 1 was probably only upscaled, the BBC didn't show the Ireland France game on BBC HD even though the feed would have been available from RTÉ. The Scotland Ireland game also wasn't shown in HD by the BBC.

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Is the pre match and half time analysis form the studios broadcast in hd today? It looks like it is.

Whenever the analysis is done on site it's in HD, GAA from Croke Park, Rugby from the Lansdowne Road etc.

If it's from the RTÉ studio at Donnybrook it's upscaled.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

One of the cameras at Landowne Road appears to give faulty colours to the Irish shirts - it did not affect the French ones though. They were very grey, rather than green, particularly noticed in close up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

The quality of the picture today on RTE 2 HD looked great - switching to BBC2 showed just how bad SD is!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

homer911 wrote: »
    The quality of the picture today on RTE 2 HD looked great - switching to BBC2 showed just how bad SD is!

True. Too bad it wasn't on BBC HD for comparison.

It was shown in HD in France.

you'll get the chance on Wednesday to compare the picture quality with both ITV and RTÉ showing the Udinese Arsenal match in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

An Tarbh wrote: »
    you'll get the chance on Wednesday to compare the picture quality with both ITV and RTÉ showing the Udinese Arsenal match in HD.

Yes, although we saw last week that home-produced stuff on RTE HD like the rugby seems to be better quality than imported HD stuff anyway.

seanp_25 wrote: »
    Yes, although we saw last week that home-produced stuff on RTE HD like the rugby seems to be better quality than imported HD stuff anyway.

assuming the Slovakia game is in HD on RTÉ you'll get the chance to compare with Sky then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

How can you compare HD via DTT to HD via satellite?

Satellite will win every time.

No posts today regarding the Mayo v Kerry and Tipp v Roscommon semi-finals in HD.

Didn't see any glitches, liked the HD slo-mo shots. HD finally settling in on Saorview.

Next up Udinese v Arsenal on Wed and Barcelona v Porto on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

My son had a friend of his round today during the Kerry game, he was dutifully impressed by the PQ on RTÉ Two HD on our Panny 42" D25:) Looking forward to seeing the Gunners in HD failing to meet my expectations once again:(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

My son had a friend of his round today during the Kerry game, he was dutifully impressed by the PQ on RTÉ Two HD on our Panny 42" D25:) Looking forward to seeing the Gunners in HD failing to meet my expectations once again:(

you're not the kerry man who was on the phone in on today fm on saturday discussing arsenal are you? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

mossym wrote: »
    you're not the kerry man who was on the phone in on today fm on saturday discussing arsenal are you? :)

God no. I wouldn't have the neck to go on air to try & defend their achievements or lack thereof over the past few years:mad::(:o

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

An Tarbh wrote: »
    ....or not!! ITV-HD are broadcasting in upscaled HD.... RTE's picture is definitely better!!, and looks to be fullHD (although still not as good as the home OB broadcasts!!
    Wonder why ITV are not showing full HD???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Full HD?

Still looks like HD 0.75 to me. Not as crisp as the GAA/rugby games shown.

mike65 wrote: »
    Full HD?

Still looks like HD 0.75 to me. Not as crisp as the GAA/rugby games shown.

Is that not what I just said!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No no I mean RTE2 HD looks like 0.75 (not able to watch ITV1 HD)

Wonder what happened at ITV. STV HD was upscaling also.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    No no I mean RTE2 HD looks like 0.75 (not able to watch ITV1 HD)
    I Understand..... but I also ment that the HD quality was not as good as the home broadcasts of Rugby and GAA.
    ......although still not as good as the home OB broadcasts!!.....
    Nevertheless RTE were broadcasting in Native HD and not upscaled like ITV. Think we should give them a bit of credit now that the glitches seem to have been sorted.

Looking forward to the Rugby World Cup in HD on RTE2..... I know ITV1-HD will probably have a slightly (..and relatively un-importantant) better picture, but I'll take RTE's Rugby coverage antime over ITV's!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Wonder what happened at ITV. STV HD was upscaling also.

Wonder what the source feed was ? Apparently a lot of source is still shot @ 1440.

In broadcast resolution RTE 2HD is 1440x1080.

ITV HD Granada was 1920x1080 but probably subject to interpolation filtering, hence the softening.

Havent the Beeb/ITV went back to 1440 on Freeview HD.

ITV was SD.

perhaps itv didn't want to pay for a HD feed as it was only a qualifier? if an english team weren't involved i doubt they'd even have shown it, so maybe it's part of their cost saving efforts?

perhaps itv didn't want to pay for a HD feed as it was only a qualifier? if an english team weren't involved i doubt they'd even have shown it, so maybe it's part of their cost saving efforts?

Ofcourse they would have shown the Game if it wasn't an English team involved. But it would have been over on ITV4 and ITV4HD like last weeks Bayern Munich game!!!
    These games are part of the overall Champions League contract, so I don't think price would come into it!!!!

Ofcourse they would have shown the Game if it wasn't an English team involved. But it would have been over on ITV4 and ITV4HD like last weeks Bayern Munich game!!!
    These games are part of the overall Champions League contract, so I don't think price would come into it!!!!

good point, was the Bayern match in HD on ITV4HD or just upscaled though?

good point, was the Bayern match in HD on ITV4HD or just upscaled though?
    Don't know...... you need an UK HD subscription to pick up ITV4-HD.... maybe someone here has one and can answer the Q???

One addation bit of info on last night game. The EPG said "(Upscaled HD)" on ITV1-HD.....so it was planned and not a last minute technical issue.

According to people over on DS it was shown upscaled because ITV didn't have a HD studio for the evening. Al Jazeera had it booked. LOL if true.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    According to people over on DS it was shown upscaled because ITV didn't have a HD studio for the evening. Al Jazeera had it booked. LOL if true.
    Seems a lame excuse to me..... Could they not have done what RTE do.... Studio in Upscaled HD and match in Narive HD.

• Advertisement

Sky do the same. If the studio isn't HD then the game isn't. Must be a valid reason for it.

Advertisement