Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 2 Broadcasting in HD now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Fixed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

We're back, Leo Cullen looking well in HD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

No more hiccups please

Next, tomorrow's Hurling semi-finals in HD.

A promo after the match for the new season of US produced series on RTÉ said "many in High Definition on RTÉ2 HD". Pre-recorded playout almost ready?

http://www.rte.ie/ten/video.html#3022841,3022841,flash,255

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I am looking forward to new set of idents for both RTE channels optomised for HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I just hope the budget for the make up department in rte went up because in HD you notice so much more !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

Jpmarn wrote: »
    I am looking forward to new set of idents for both RTE channels optomised for HD.

I hope you are not serious if you mean what I think you mean. HD is supposedly to be high quality and to have a bug on screen DESTROYS the effect especially for sport and films. sky have learned the hard way, sky1 gone, sky atlantic gone, and none on movie channels and I have not seen many complaints wanting them back. RTE's are a disgrace but when I complained I got the standard reply . well we have not had many complaints .. and when I queried why they disappear for the ads ... RTE said well the advertisers own that transmission time ... but of course we who pay the licence own nothing.

here are a few screen shots that show how bad these onscreen bugs look on a big panel. They are stupid and unnecessary but no one in rte will back down. For example during sport they have the clock with rte in the heading and then across the screen from that, badly aligned I might add RTE 2 HD and invariably not in hd. It looks and is crass.

so RTE get real, you aped sky with the bugs so aped them again and remove them especially for sport and films.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Good to see Deccie Kidney in HD at the end of the broadcast last night but a pity we couldn't hear him call the ref a tosser as RTE cant seem to get HD picture and sound right
    It was playing up all night
    What the heck are we paying a TV Licence for
    The service is crap

tui0hcg wrote: »
    RTE cant seem to get HD picture and sound right
    It was playing up all night

I had no problems for the second half of the match, all OK. What problem did you have later?

• Advertisement

Dont know about second half as I had to go to the pub to watch it on regular TV (non Saorview through Sky) as I was sick of split screen and that crap
    But when I got home I had it recorded and the interview with Deccie after the game had no sound from France -except for what sounded like a load of guys talking in the background in a cave (relay bad echo and they sounded like they were maybe under the bowls of Montrose trying to patch things through)
    I have deleted it now so cant recheck - sorry

Another thing I notice is bad reception every now and again - dont think it weather related as its on all types of days.
    I have an internal antenna and I sometimes notice when i turn on RTE first its a bit patchy and reception is poor but after a few minuets it gets better - maybe the signal is just tuning in to my area and figures out I have my TV on so sends the signal my way !!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,567 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Dont know about second half as I had to go to the pub to watch it on regular TV (non Saorview through Sky) as I was sick of split screen and that crap
    But when I got home I had it recorded and the interview with Deccie after the game had no sound from France -except for what sounded like a load of guys talking in the background in a cave (relay bad echo and they sounded like they were maybe under the bowls of Montrose trying to patch things through)
    I have deleted it now so cant recheck - sorry

Another thing I notice is bad reception every now and again - dont think it weather related as its on all types of days.
    I have an internal antenna and I sometimes notice when i turn on RTE first its a bit patchy and reception is poor but after a few minuets it gets better - maybe the signal is just tuning in to my area and figures out I have my TV on so sends the signal my way !!

That was SD and was the same on sky.

copacetic wrote: »
    That was SD and was the same on sky.

Looked like HD to me - How can we tell if its not HD if they have the HD yoke in the corner of the screen

The internal aerial would appear to be your problem there. An external aerial would sort it.

The Cush wrote: »
    The internal aerial would appear to be your problem there. An external aerial would sort it.

How come its perfect 95% of the days - just gets a little glitchy for no reason at all

Now I admit it goes real bad if you stand in front of the antenna - but why is it bad for 5 minutes and then is perfect for no reason?

How come its perfect 95% of the days - just gets a little glitchy for no reason at all

Now I admit it goes real bad if you stand in front of the antenna - but why is it bad for 5 minutes and then is perfect for no reason?

Internal aerials are prone to local interference from both within the house and in the vicinity of the house and probably more so if it's an amplified one.

What the heck are we paying a TV Licence for

You pay it to have a television.

Looked like HD to me - How can we tell if its not HD if they have the HD yoke in the corner of the screen

You should be able to tell from the clarity of the picture. It is very distinct when something is shown in HD. Look at the RTÉ Two HD DOG, when it is not HD is is kind of fuzzy looking, this is not so in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

So for the second week in a row they f**k up the HD on the senior hurling match?
    The incompetence is getting beyond a joke now. :mad:

8 and a half minutes into the match someone remembers to flick on the full HD switch. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

so i have a hd tv, with an indoor aerial.

the tv shows hd logo in the corner etc....so is this proper hd?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

DeepBlue wrote: »
    So for the second week in a row they f**k up the HD on the senior hurling match?
    It's a pity alright. Was looking forward to this one being in HD. Maybe someone will flick the switch at half time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

eldwaro wrote: »
    Nope, RTE2 will show the HD logo regardless of whether they're broadcasting in HD or not.
    If broadcasting in HD the logo will be crisp and sharp, if not the logo will be slightly fuzzy.

DeepBlue wrote: »

8 and a half minutes into the match someone remembers to flick on the full HD switch. :rolleyes:

I saw most of the minor game and no problem HD wise. I only saw the first few minutes of the senior game, the transmission went upscaled shortly after the handover from the panel to the match commentary.

They should've worked the bugs out by now especially with the home produced games and the hype of the press release over a week ago.

Let's see how they get on with Wed night's Champions League Qualifier - Bayern Munich v FC Zurich*.

* Upcoming live HD games on RTÉ 2 based on RTÉ's press release
    Wednesday August 17th - UEFA CL Qualifier Bayern Munich v FC Zurich

Saturday August 20th - Rugby Test Match Ireland v France

Sunday August 21st - Football S/F Mayo v Kerry, Tipperary v Roscommon

Wednesday August 24th - UEFA CL Qualifier Udinese v Arsenal

Friday August 26th - UEFA Super Cup Barcelona v Porto

Sunday August 28th - Football S/F Dublin v Donegal, Dublin v Galway

Sunday September 4th - All-Ireland Hurling Finals

Sunday September 18th - All-Ireland Football Finals

September/October - Rugby World Cup, 13 games on RTÉ in HD?

The channel's name on Saorview is RTÉ 2 HD and the transmission format is 1080i/25Hz HD at all times. The programme material can either be upscaled SD or true HD. Almost all material to date has been upscaled from SD to HD, today's HD event - the All Ireland Hurling semi-finals - is the eighth HD event (by my calculation*) since Saorview's launch on May 26th.

*Previous HD events

May 28th - Rugby Magners League Grand Final Munster v Leinster
    May 29th - Hurling Munster Q/F Tipperary v Cork
    June 26th - Football Connacht S/F Mayo v Galway & Football Leinster S/F Dublin v Kildare
    July 10th - Football Leinster F Dublin v Wexford & Hurling Munster F Tipperary v Waterford
    Aug 6th - Football All-Ireland SFC Q/F Dublin v Tyrone
    Aug 7th - Hurling All-Ireland SHC S/F Kilkenny v Waterford, Clare v Galway
    Aug 13th - Rugby Test Match France v Ireland
    Aug 14th - Hurling All-Ireland SHC S/F Dublin v Tipperary, Dublin v Waterford

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    You pay it to have a television.

wouldn't mind paying it (and I have paid it for the last I dont know how long) if the service was decent. HD broadcast that only half works, not what I call a good service. I have a TV and pay the license no worries but i tend to end up watching stuff from the UK on Freesat as the service is 10 times better

You should be able to tell from the clarity of the picture. It is very distinct when something is shown in HD. Look at the RTÉ Two HD DOG, when it is not HD is is kind of fuzzy looking, this is not so in HD.

OK so the match was HD - did they switch to SD just for the interview after with Kidney? Why would they do that?

OK so the match was HD - did they switch to SD just for the interview after with Kidney? Why would they do that?

Perhaps the interview wasn't recorded in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

but do i HAVE to have saorview for HD or can it be received through a tv

but do i HAVE to have saorview for HD or can it be received through a tv

Do you have a Saorview approved TV? If so your TV will display true HD when it is transmitted.

or are you using a Saorview STB attached to the TV via scart or HDMI? If via scart then it's not displayed on the HD TV as true HD but if via HDMI then the TV will display the programme in true HD when transmitted.

If you have an MPEG-4 compatible (non Saorview approved) TV receiving the Saorview channels and the TV has a screen resolution of 1920×1080 then it will display true HD when transmitted.

The Cush wrote: »
    The channel's name on Saorview is RTÉ 2 HD and the transmission format is 1080i/25Hz HD at all times. The programme material can either be upscaled SD or true HD. Almost all material to date has been upscaled from SD to HD, today's HD event - the All Ireland Hurling semi-final - is the seventh HD event (by my calculation) since Saorview's launch on May 26th.

When I turn on RTE 2 it shows 1080i/50p BBC 1HD shows 1080i/50p also but the BBC looks much better. What's the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

When I turn on RTE 2 it shows 1080i/50p BBC 1HD shows 1080i/50p also but the BBC looks much better. What's the difference?

Should that be 1080i/50hHz?
    Anyway, both RTÉ Two HD & BBC HD are both broadcast in HD__BUT__as mentioned here before, BBC broadcasts way more native HD material than RTÉ, who go by SD sourced & upscaled to 1080i/50Hz HD, big changes forcast for the autumn line up though on RTÉ. (I think the Crush mentioned 7 live sports events since Saorview launch for total HD output so far). Many gripes over HD DOG on upscaled material & lack of HD info in the EPG have been trawled over in this forum but I don't think RTÉ give a toss what Joe Public thinks & probably have a good laugh in the RTÉ cafeteria when browsing this forum on their state sponsored iPads:rolleyes:
    (I also understand that BBC HD resolution has been increased from 1440x1080 to 1920x1080 just like Channel 4 HD & ITV Granada HD, not sure what RTÉ's output resolution is.)

• Advertisement

Bitrate. The amount of bits allocated to the channel on a multiplex.

Assuming the source material for both is HD, the higher the bitrate the more information carried that makes up the displayed image.

Generally there is more multiplex capacity/bits available to satellite channels than terrestrial channels.

RTÉ 2 HD averages about 6 Mbps I believe, BBC 1 HD 8-10 Mbps.

Remember too that most of the programming on RTÉ 2 is upscaled to HD from SD material.

Advertisement