Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 2 Broadcasting in HD now

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

UPC don't *have* 16MHz to give over, the bandwidth is fully saturated with analogue cable, digital cable and broadband. They would never remove channels to add DVB-T on the basis that the vast majority of analogue cable endpoints are not DVB-T compatible.

Its a nice idea but crumbles completely when reality comes in to it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It would be just way too confusing for the viewer. You're effectively ask UPC to market two different digital television services, using two different technologies and requiring two different STBs, on the one cable? Its also bound to confuse people between digital cable and digital terrestrial. As I said earlier it might have the effect of causing people to remain on UPC analogue and hamper UPC's own analogue switch off which will eventually happen (though not for a few years yet, in my view.)

UPC need to get its analogue customers to take up UPC digital. That is their aim - to get more digital subscribers. Offering Saorview on cable will mean that for many people that will be their digital switch, and they will be quite happy keeping analouge for the remaining UK channels on it. It will impede the take up of UPC digital.

When cable ASO (eventually) comes, UPC analogue subscribers will have the choice of going to UPC digital or moving to a different platform. I'd wager the majority of them will go for UPC digital, which now costs the same as the analogue service on its own. If they want to move to a Saorview/Freesat combo or Sky at that point so be it. Very few UPC customers will go to Saorview on its own though.

P.S. (Mod hat on) this is kinda falling toward Cable/MMDS territory so I will come back tommorow and we may split the thread at that point if people want to discuss further.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I remember reading around the time of the NHK World HD launch a few months ago that Super HD had started in Japan. Not sure if it's actually 1080p & I think NHK are the only network using the system. The slow take up is due again to bandwidth issues.

4320p (7680 x 4320 resolution). Super Hi-Vision in Japan and Ultra HDTV elsewhere.

BBC plans to use 3D and 'super hi-vision' for London Olympics

BBC confirms Super HD London 2012 Olympics coverage
    mossym wrote: »
    didn't stop them broadcasting it though, and causing trouble with TV's that weren't expecing on the fly resolution changes from the tuner

1080p/25 (AVC Level 4.0) I believe http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/researchanddevelopment/2011/04/software-upgrade-for-bbc-hd-on.shtml.

1080p/50 (AVC Level 4.2) wasn't added to the Ofcom DTT parameters.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

icdg wrote: »
    It would be just way too confusing for the viewer. You're effectively ask UPC to market two different digital television services, using two different technologies and requiring two different STBs, on the one cable? Its also bound to confuse people between digital cable and digital terrestrial. As I said earlier it might have the effect of causing people to remain on UPC analogue and hamper UPC's own analogue switch off which will eventually happen (though not for a few years yet, in my view.)

UPC need to get its analogue customers to take up UPC digital. That is their aim - to get more digital subscribers. Offering Saorview on cable will mean that for many people that will be their digital switch, and they will be quite happy keeping analouge for the remaining UK channels on it. It will impede the take up of UPC digital.

When cable ASO (eventually) comes, UPC analogue subscribers will have the choice of going to UPC digital or moving to a different platform. I'd wager the majority of them will go for UPC digital, which now costs the same as the analogue service on its own. If they want to move to a Saorview/Freesat combo or Sky at that point so be it. Very few UPC customers will go to Saorview on its own though.

P.S. (Mod hat on) this is kinda falling toward Cable/MMDS territory so I will come back tommorow and we may split the thread at that point if people want to discuss further.

Fair point, but it is directly concerning RTE 2 HD.

However, the benefit for UPC is that they could add RTE 2HD, RTE News Now, and RTE 1 + 1 for little or no cost, only at the cost of one or two analogue channels. I see no confusion as this service would be only seen by those with iDTVs who would appreciate the higher picture quality.

Also, the take up of UPC encrypted digital would be unaffected, as the analogue service is a multiroom facility for the 'free' analogue channels, whether the house has encrypted digital or not.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I see no confusion as this service would be only seen by those with iDTVs who would appreciate the higher picture quality.

...and the second someone with UPC HD and no iDTV finds out that their neighbour with UPC HD and an iDTV can get RTE2HD and they can't, you've got confusion. And angry customers.

Its a completely unworkable idea for many many reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

MYOB wrote: »
    ...and the second someone with UPC HD and no iDTV finds out that their neighbour with UPC HD and an iDTV can get RTE2HD and they can't, you've got confusion. And angry customers.

Its a completely unworkable idea for many many reasons.

It is exactly the same as a person being told that they cannot avail of this new broadband because they do not have it in their area.

The answer from UPC would be simple and avoid confusion, if you want RTE 2 HD, get a Saorview compatible TV or STB. UPC have no problem answering angry customers if my reading of the cable forum is correct as they have plenty of them.

As TVs move from analogue to digital, UPC would be just following - and benefiting from the changeover. They do not even have to publicise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Re RWC: Does any one know if the afternoon/evening highlights programmes of the early morning Rugby World Cup games are being broadcast in HD or SD?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Re RWC: Does any one know if the afternoon/evening highlights programmes of the early morning Rugby World Cup games are being broadcast in HD or SD?

All highlights shows are in SD.

copacetic wrote: »
    All highlights shows are in SD.

Oh well then, it's ITV1 for the HD highlights, unless they go out on ITV 2/3/4/ HD.

It is exactly the same as a person being told that they cannot avail of this new broadband because they do not have it in their area.

No, its not, because their neighbour wouldn't have broadband if they couldn't get it.

Being told to buy a new TV to get a channel would not be acceptable to 99% of people.

Face it, its a completely unworkable idea. I also doubt that UPC's current network has any way of them inserting DVB-T to begin with, seeing as its not like the days of every channel being set up once and repeatedly amped and tapped for each area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Any reports from the rugby this morning?

Saw a bit online, the RTE TWO dog looked different. Maybe smaller?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Looks like they shrunk it so they could add the Rugby World Cup logo. Normal size again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

RWC highlights programme on at the moment. DOG is smaller again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    RWC highlights programme on at the moment. DOG is smaller again.
    This is not HD right?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Looks like real HD tranmission although the bit rate is only ca. 800KB/s.

Is this first run of HD playout system ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

This is not HD right?

Don't think so. The smaller DOG doesn't look sharp enough.

Highlights programme is upscaled SD.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Yep - take it back - when I foundthe glsses it oes look like SD alright.

Any more info out there re: playout system going live so RTE2 HD really is RTE2 HD ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

seanp_25 wrote: »
    Highlights programme is upscaled SD.
    What bout the leinster game now? Looks pretty sharp to me.

Upscaled also! :)

Have a look at the rugby game on Sunday morning for comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Looks like they shrunk it so they could add the Rugby World Cup logo. Normal size again.

The RWC logo is part of the host broadcaster feed. Setanta, rather than reduce the size of their logo, just moved it right.

I didn't see any other broadcaster this this morning so assumed incorrectly that RTÉ put it there.

Yep - take it back - when I foundthe glsses it oes look like SD alright.

Any more info out there re: playout system going live so RTE2 HD really is RTE2 HD ???

Can't be too far off now, especially if they are going to show all those new US autumn series in HD as proposed in the forthcoming autumn schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Is there anyway to tell if something is being shown in HD or just upscaled on the onscreen menus? For example on the on screen display now it says Bad Boys 2 is in HD but is it really or just upscaled?

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Is there anyway to tell if something is being shown in HD or just upscaled on the onscreen menus? For example on the on screen display now it says Bad Boys 2 is in HD but is it really or just upscaled?

Nope. The TV is receiving a 1080i feed so it assumes the programme is HD.

NUTZZ wrote: »

If you are unsure look at the clarity of the DOG. If it looks sharp it is HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Are RTÉ showing any HD films in their OAR? Bad Boys II is 2.35:1, I doubt it went out like that on Saturday night...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Paddy C wrote: »
    Are RTÉ showing any HD films in their OAR? Bad Boys II is 2.35:1, I doubt it went out like that on Saturday night...

only working off memory, but pretty sure it was 16:9

As far as I know, no movies have been shown in HD on RTE?

The only official HD broadcasts so far has been some live sport, not all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Personally I would say that the NHK picture is better, followed by BBC HD, then CHN 4 HD then ITV HD in that order, with RTE HD somewhere in the middle.

Advertisement