Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 2 Broadcasting in HD now

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

LordSutch wrote: »
    Personally I would say that the NHK picture is better, followed by BBC HD, then CHN 4 HD then ITV HD in that order, with RTE HD somewhere in the middle.

rte is the poorest, but as has been said that is due to the lower bandwidth it gets on dvb-t, the dvb-s channels get more bandwidth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone watching the footie? The grass was a sort of Aqua-marine green for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

mike65 wrote: »
    Anyone watching the footie? The grass was a sort of Aqua-marine green for a while.

I noticed that. The whole picture had a blue-ish tint to it at the start. It started exactly when RTE put up their "Commentators: Peter Collins...." graphic. Lasted ten mins or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Just wondering is the RTE playout system up and running? Match clips during analysis after the end of the Dublin Kerry game appeared to be in HD, including the ending musical sequence. RTE2 HD DOG remained sharp to the end. Has this happened before I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

IIRC all broadcasts from Croke Park (pundits included) have been 100% HD. It was only when RTÉ used a studio at Donnybrook that it wasn't 100% HD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

The LIVE australia v ireland rugby game seemed HD from new zealand, and then SD from rte studio.

mcwhirter wrote: »
    The LIVE australia v ireland rugby game seemed HD from new zealand, and then SD from rte studio.

Yep. All RTE studio stuff will be SD until they get the new studio built.

It will be the same for all RTÉ's rugby world cup games

does anyone know if the dtt signal had massive audio delays for the ireland russia match this morning? the sky broadcast had delays of 7 or 8 seconds early in the match which resolved itself after a while, it was only th ematch commentary, the in studio stuff was fine

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Yeah, some audio gremlins early in the game on Saorview, confirmed by very opaque onscreen apology. The glitch was sorted soon after.

• Advertisement

Yeah, some audio gremlins early in the game on Saorview, confirmed by very opaque onscreen apology. The glitch was sorted soon after.

no apology on the sky feed, or if there was i missed it, cheers for the info, the problem did seem to be a source problem alright,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

mossym wrote: »
    no apology on the sky feed, or if there was i missed it, cheers for the info, the problem did seem to be a source problem alright,

It was on RTE 2 HD which is only available on Saorview, the Sky feed is a different one altogether!

NUTZZ wrote: »
    It was on RTE 2 HD which is only available on Saorview, the Sky feed is a different one altogether!

i know, that's why i asked did the saorview feed have the same problem. if they were the same feed then both would have had the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Schorpio

There was an apology. Probably the exact same feed, just downscaled for Sky.

Schorpio wrote: »
    There was an apology. Probably the exact same feed, just downscaled for Sky.

cheers totally missed it so,

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

i know, that's why i asked did the saorview feed have the same problem. if they were the same feed then both would have had the issue

Both feeds did have the issue. It was the same for the USA game!!
    The RTE man that syncs the sound must not start until later in the morning!! (union has requested a 500% pay rise for everyone in RTE for him to come in early :D )

MasterChef Ireland seems to always look excellent on Saorview.

If it's not HD, it's definately the best looking upscaled SD stuff they've shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

seanp_25 wrote: »
    MasterChef Ireland seems to always look excellent on Saorview.

If it's not HD, it's definately the best looking upscaled SD stuff they've shown.
    Just watching the progamme tonight. The DOG logo was sharp and some of the scenes had clarity of being in HD. The following programme "The Good Wife" seams to be out in SD with a rather fuzzy DOG.

Dog is definitely sharp during MasterChef alright.

So I wonder if this is the first HD broadcast on RTE apart from live sport?

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Just watching the progamme tonight. The DOG logo was sharp and some of the scenes had clarity of being in HD.

It's certainly not HD tonight.

• Advertisement

The film "The Full Monty" seemed to have got the HD treatment on RTE 2HD Saorview.

A short promotion came up during "The Saturday Night Show" on RTE 1 for "Pam Am" on RTE 2HD on Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭elsie1b

Why was Dublin marathon not shown in HD on RTE2 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Lack of camera equipment. Do you notice on the Champions League, in the studio its SD and only switches over to HD for the live feed. Interestingly this was not the case for the Croke Park GAA matches. The studio analysis was in HD at Croker.

It's not unique to Croke Park. Magners League outside broadcasts and games from the Aviva have been 100% HD also. Montrose needs to be upgraded before we see studios in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

In any event, the marathon was shown on RTE1.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I see the second leg against Estonia is being streamm live in HD

http://www.rte.ie/sport/livestreaming/hd/

It's probably more appropriate to IPTV than terrestrial. :confused:

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Crap quality - certainly on my Smart connection. Back to the stuttering HD from Three Rock instead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Back to the stuttering HD from Three Rock instead :)

Thought it was just me but stuttering here from Mullaghanish too.

• Advertisement

It's not stuttering here in Dungarvan. Not that I can see anyway

Advertisement