Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 2 Broadcasting in HD now

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Maybe it was the sunshine afffecting the cameras.

Eh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Maybe it was the sunshine afffecting the cameras.

More a case of it effecting the people employed to do their job, suffering sunstroke to the brain I'd say to let this happen. I was afraid they'd wait until half time for to restore the feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

France v Ireland rugby in HD tonight. "Available in HD on Saorview" caption in the intro animation.

As per the RTÉ press release - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73676804&postcount=321

The Cush wrote: »
    France v Ireland rugby in HD tonight. "Available in HD on Saorview" caption in the intro animation.

Is this RTÉ's first outside broadcast re-transmission since the match is being played in Paris and I presume the feed is probably being shared with French TV or would RTÉ have sent their HD crew over to Paris to film it?

No hd now. Unbelievable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

gone back to an upscaled picture now, would prefer the full HD picture without the commentary to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Yeah, as soon as commentry started after 4:43 HD went....Pure Gammy! Was better without! Hopefully they sort it soon

It just reverted to upscaled SD with commentary, no commentary with the HD transmission.

It just went on a split screen there for a few seconds!

It must be amature hour at Montrose

• Advertisement

and again but quickly back to upscaled again, sort this out RTÉ!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

My picture keeps breaking up - wonder is there problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Tis a joke!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

How can you it is upscaled? I'm showing 1080i but presumably it would do that if upscaled? I guess this proves I don't really need HD on my telly if I can't tell the difference :D

redout wrote: »
    My picture keeps breaking up - wonder is there problems.

Not breaking up here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Watching on France 2 HD now and its proper HD no upscale.

Stinicker wrote: »

in HD with commentary :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Rte make ITV look competent

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Phibsboro wrote: »
    How can you it is upscaled? I'm showing 1080i but presumably it would do that if upscaled? I guess this proves I don't really need HD on my telly if I can't tell the difference :D

Just have a good look at the wide shots-in HD you should be able to pick out your French cousins in the crowd;-)

Rte make ITV look competent

I've seen more production values on amateur stuff on Youtube than the crap they churn out.

• Advertisement

redout wrote: »
    Watching on France 2 HD now and its proper HD no upscale.

The HD was OK here too just not getting the Irish commentary with it.

This is the first non-Irish sourced/international HD event on RTÉ, needs some tweaking to get it right I guess.

The commentary circuit is probably separate to the France 2 HD video feed, problem mixing them together at RTÉ maybe?
    Is this RTÉ's first outside broadcast re-transmission since the match is being played in Paris and I presume the feed is probably being shared with French TV or would RTÉ have sent their HD crew over to Paris to film it?

From Bordeaux, this is the first time RTÉ has transmitted an HD event sourced from outside the country. The Champions League Final was announced in May but it didn't happen, they probably weren't ready for such a broadcast based on tonight problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

Before we all jump down RTE's throat, could there be a problem with the feed they are receiving??

• Registered Users Posts: 81,501 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

mjsmyth wrote: »
    Before we all jump down RTE's throat, could there be a problem with the feed they are receiving??

Good point, I suppose there's a 3rd party involved, tomorrow's Dublin Tipp game will be a proper test.

mjsmyth wrote: »

I would say no. The picture was perfect until they upscaled for the commentary

• Subscribers Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    I would say no. The picture was perfect until they upscaled for the commentary

He means that the French Host broadcaster are providing the video and audio feeds. Perhaps they aren't providing the correct audio with the HD feed.

There haven't been any issues like this with events in Ireland afaik?

in HD with commentary :D

Oops they did it again :D

They should now wait until half-time to sort it out.

OK RTÉ you've at least 10 minutes please get this sorted for the second half.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

They have lost transmission a few times and lost sync a few more times. I would prefer no commentary to this mess.

Who is to blame for such incompetence? It is impossible to watch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

What just happened there? They can't seem to get the audio and video together

• Advertisement

The commentary circuit is probably separate to the France 2 HD video feed, problem mixing them together at RTÉ maybe?

This from the RTÉ HD tender document last year
    2.2.2 Local Production Studio at RTÉ Donnybrook

Currently in the case of a ‘Champions League’ event the vision and Effects feeds are provided by satellite and resilience is provided by the satellite operator at the remote site.

Two IRD’s are placed across the incoming signal in RTÉ’s External Area providing two separate vision sources to the local studio and two separate Effects audio sources. Commentary is provided by ISDN and backup is provided by using the talkback circuit, both audio sources are provided to the studio.

The studio operational staff will have the responsibility to select the correct sources and a single SDI feed with embedded audio is provided to Presentation. In the event of a failure of the feed between the Studio and Presentation a backup will be provided via the main station router.

Advertisement