Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 2 Broadcasting in HD now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

(I also understand that BBC HD resolution has been increased from 1440x1080 to 1920x1080 just like Channel 4 HD & ITV Granada HD, not sure what RTÉ's output resolution is.)

RTE is 1440x1080.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Should that be 1080i/50hHz?

1080i/50p = 50 progressive fps (progressive scan). I think 1080i/50Hz is the same thing.

My Sony 1080i/25 = 25 interlaced fps (50 interlaced fields) displayed as 1080i/25Hz.

Bayern Munich vs FC Zurich on now.

Changed over to full HD soon after they went over to coverage from Germany.

"Available in HD on Saorview" shown up on top for a while too.

Picture looks good, RTE's Champions League scoreboard graphics haven't been re-done in HD yet. (unlike their GAA scoreboard)

Bitrate is about 8.5Mbit average. Seen it from 7.9Mbit to 8.9MBit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭babybuilder

I've seen better HD sport on BBC 1 hd. Audio is not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

I've seen better HD sport on BBC 1 hd. Audio is not good.
    It's most likely a tieline (ISDN) for the audio.

• Advertisement

seanp_25 wrote: »
    "Available in HD on Saorview" shown up on top for a while too.

The info banner stood out, you couldn't miss it.

Also advertising the match next week Udinese v Arsenal as available in HD on Saorview from the commentary and rolling info banner at the bottom of the screen.

Upcoming live HD games on RTÉ 2 based on RTÉ's press release
    Saturday August 20th - Rugby Test Match Ireland v France

Sunday August 21st - Football S/F Mayo v Kerry, Tipperary v Roscommon

Wednesday August 24th - UEFA CL Qualifier Udinese v Arsenal

Friday August 26th - UEFA Super Cup Barcelona v Porto

Sunday August 28th - Football S/F Dublin v Donegal, Dublin v Galway

Sunday September 4th - All-Ireland Hurling Finals

Sunday September 18th - All-Ireland Football Finals

September/October - Rugby World Cup, 13 games on RTÉ2 HD on Saorview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That was not HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

mike65 wrote: »
    That was not HD.

Yeah. Some of the softest hd i've ever seen anyway.

That was not HD.

I didn't record a clip of it, but I agree I wasn't as sharp as what we've seen for GAA.

It definitely wasn't upscaled SD though, there was the usual sudden clear upgrade in sharpness when they changed from upscaled SD (which it was for the first 30 seconds or so of footage) to full HD just when the teams were coming out of the tunnel. The RTE2 HD logo changed to the sharp edges, full HD version too.

RTE scoreboard was upscaled SD.

All other on screen graphics, like players names, the score that appears every 15 mins or so at the bottom of the screen showing scorers, etc is part of the HD feed RTE get from the UEFA pool.

Maybe someone familiar with this stuff could comment on how many different encoding stages something like this would go through. (SAT.1 -> UEFA -> RTE -> DTT@8Mbps maybe?) This might lose sharpness at each stage or something? The GAA would have probably have gone through less MPEG4 encoding stages.

That was not HD.

It was here. Was standing in front of a 42" when it switched from upscaled to true HD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

They could broadcast right in front of me still would,nt watch there crap..

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

patwicklow wrote: »

Is that because it was Football (soccer) or the teams that were playing or just because it was RTÉ. On either count I figure it was worth watching.

& rock on ICA Bootcamp & good luck to MS Ireland in the final:D

RTÉ has confirmed that the Rugby World Cup will be broadcast in HD on RTÉ Two HD on SAORVIEW
    RTÉ to broadcast over 130 hours of Rugby World Cup Coverage
    Wednesday, 17 August 2011

RTÉ Sport today (Wednesday, 17 August) announced details of its 2011 Rugby World Cup campaign, which will include all of Ireland's games broadcast live from New Zealand as part of an astounding 130 hours of rugby coverage across television, radio and online.

At the launch today, World Cup winner Ben Kay, Ireland legend Shane Horgan and Leinster coach Joe Schmidt, were announced as part of RTÉ's unrivalled team of rugby panellists for the 2011 World Cup. Also joining the team this autumn for the first time will be former Leinster defence coach and Ireland international Kurt McQuilkin, who will be co-commentating for radio from his native New Zealand.

Ryle Nugent, RTÉ Group Head of Sport, said: "RTÉ is committed to bringing the best of international and national sporting events to the Irish public free-to-air. Fans can look forward to following the Irish team's progression every step of the way on all of RTÉ's platforms with the unique perspective and expert analysis that our panel bring, which is unrivalled by any other broadcaster. We look forward to sharing what is set to be a momentous sporting occasion with the Irish public".
    On securing the broadcast rights Mike Miller, Rugby World Cup Limited (RWCL) Managing Director paid tribute to RTÉ's quality coverage: "RWCL is delighted to be extending its association with RTÉ Sport to broadcast Rugby World Cup 2011 throughout Ireland. RTÉ is recognized as a leading broadcaster of quality sports coverage and a true champion of Rugby in Ireland and we are looking forward to working in partnership with RTÉ to further the promotion of Rugby World Cup."

RTÉ Television

RTÉ Television will broadcast all the top games with 13 key matches live and free-to-air, including all of Ireland's Pool matches, the Final, the Bronze Final, both semi-finals, all four quarter-finals and the opening match.

For the first time ever coverage of the Rugby World Cup will be broadcast in HD in Ireland as RTÉ Television's live coverage of 13 key games is also available on RTÉ Two HD on SAORVIEW.

In addition to the live games RTÉ Television will broadcast free-to-air highlights coverage of every game in the tournament shown exclusively in primetime (6pm - 9pm) on RTÉ Two each match day.

RTÉ's unrivalled team of rugby presenters, analysts and commentators will be on hand throughout the tournament with Ben Kay, Shane Horgan and Joe Schmidt joining regulars George Hook, Brent Pope, Conor O'Shea, Victor Costello and Frankie Sheahan for their expert analysis of all the action. Tom McGurk and Daire O'Brien will anchor proceedings, while Hugh Cahill, Ryle Nugent, Donal Lenihan, George Hamilton, Tony Ward, Ralph Keyes and Kurt McQuilkin will provide the commentary.

RTÉ.ie/Sport

RTÉ.ie's dedicated Rugby World Cup 2011 section will provide live video and audio as well as comprehensive news, highlights, analysis, picture galleries and interactive text commentary.

Focusing primarily on Declan Kidney's Ireland team, RTÉ.ie will provide the very latest news from the tournament while during matches the popular text commentaries will now include live in-match stats and analysis alongside minute-by-minute updates of the action as it unfolds. Users will also be able to offer their views and comments throughout the tournament.

All text content will be available online at RTÉ.ie as well as on mobile via RTÉ 's News Now app on iPhone/iPad and Android devices, as well as on m.rte.ie/sport.

RTÉ.ie's RWC 2011 section will also include the usual insights from top pundits including George Hook, Brent Pope and Conor O'Shea, along with a special series of articles by former Leinster defence coach and Ireland international Kurt McQuilkin. There will also be a RWC jumbo, colour, wall chart free with the RTÉ Guide on 29 August, which will help fans track how the thrilling tournament unfolds

RTÉ Radio

RTÉ Radio's resident rugby commentator Michael Corcoran will be bringing you complete coverage of all of Ireland's Rugby World Cup matches live from New Zealand. We will also be punctuating RTÉ Radio's usual schedule with exclusive news, interviews and updates throughout the RWC, brought to you by the country's top commentators and sports broadcasters.

Michael Corcoran first toured with the Irish rugby team in 2000, when they travelled to Argentina, USA and Canada. He has completed two British and Irish Lions tours, to Australia in 2001 and to New Zealand in 2005.

RTÉ Sport's Rugby World Cup coverage across television, radio and online is sponsored by O2.

http://www.rte.ie/about/pressreleases/2011/0817/170811rugbyworldcup.html
    RTÉ to broadcast 130 hours of Rugby World Cup
    Wednesday 17 August 2011

RTÉ Sport have announced details of its 2011 Rugby World Cup campaign - which will include all of Ireland's games broadcast live from New Zealand as part of an astounding 130 hours of rugby coverage across television, radio and online.

At the launch today, RTÉ Group Head of Sport Ryle Nugent said: "Fans can look forward to following the Irish team's progression every step of the way on all of RTÉ's platforms."

RTÉ Television will broadcast all the top games with 13 key matches live and free-to-air, including all of Ireland's Pool matches, the Final, the Bronze Final, both semi-finals, all four quarter-finals and the opening match.

For the first time ever coverage of the Rugby World Cup will be broadcast in HD in Ireland as RTÉ Television's live coverage of 13 key games is also available on RTÉ Two HD on SAORVIEW.

However, the coverage doesn't stop there as RTÉ Radio's resident rugby commentator Michael Corcoran will be bringing you complete coverage of all of Ireland's Rugby World Cup matches live from New Zealand - plus exclusive news and interviews.

All text content will be available online at RTÉ.ie as well as on mobile via RTÉ's News Now app on iPhone/iPad and Android devices, as well as on m.rte.ie/sport.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2011/0817/worldcup.html
    RTÉ unveil a team of familiar and fresh faces
    JOHN O'SULLIVAN

Thu, Aug 18, 2011

The national broadcaster will provide 130 hours of rugby coverage across television, radio and online.

The station will screen 13 matches live and free-to-air, including all of Ireland’s pool matches, the final, the bronze final, both semi-finals, all four quarter-finals and the opening match.

For the first time coverage of the tournament will be broadcast in HD in Ireland, available on Saorview.

In addition to the live games highlights coverage of every game in the tournament will be shown in primetime (6pm–9pm) on RTÉ Two each match day.

Joining the new faces will be regulars George Hook, Brent Pope, Conor O’Shea, Victor Costello and Frankie Sheahan. Tom McGurk and Daire O’Brien will anchor proceedings, while Hugh Cahill, Ryle Nugent, Donal Lenihan, George Hamilton, Tony Ward, Ralph Keyes and McQuilkin will provide the commentary.

RTÉ Radio commentator Michael Corcoran will provide coverage of all of Ireland’s games as well as regular news updates.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/0818/1224302638523.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

That was not HD.

It was HD but the picture quality was pretty poor. Problem with the source material perhaps.
    patwicklow wrote: »

Nice contribution. Do keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Nice contribution. Do keep it up.

+1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

I have a recording of last seasons Champions League final from ITV1 HD which I came across today. I have to say the quality, clarity and motion surpass any of RTE's HD events so far.

I have a recording of last seasons Champions League final from ITV1 HD which I came across today. I have to say the quality, clarity and motion surpass any of RTE's HD events so far.

If the ITV HD transmission you've recorded was from satellite the RTÉ Two HD on DTT cannot compete. Bitrate available to ITV on satellite is higher than that available to RTÉ on DTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Is the europa league game in hd tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

My saorview signal disappeared today, after working perfectly fine for the last couple of months. Anybody got the same problem? I'm in Letterkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

My saorview signal disappeared today, after working perfectly fine for the last couple of months. Anybody got the same problem? I'm in Letterkenny.
    Transmitter works up that way:
    171230.png

[Link]

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

+1

+2

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

If the ITV HD transmission you've recorded was from satellite the RTÉ Two HD on DTT cannot compete. Bitrate available to ITV on satellite is higher than that available to RTÉ on DTT.

true, and i'm sure someone will correct me if i am wrong, but the itv hd signal on sat is the lowest of the bitrates used by itv, bbc and sky. bbc bitrate for the hd channels on satellite was lowered to lessen the difference between freeview and freesat quality for the same channels, but the bitrate is still above what itv are using, and so it follows above what rte are using.

kind of a chicken and egg question then, do you limit your quality due to an acceptable bandwidth, or fix your bandwidth to an acceptable quality. i understand the limitations on the muxes. but i must have a look and see what bitrate bbc hd channels are running at on freeview

Not all ITV1 HD's are 1920*1080i so unless you know which one the recording came from you cannot compare in any way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

neither is rte's, it's 1440 *1080, so if they aere all 1920 you could argue a direct comparision is reduandant

it would be pretty easy to tell the resolution of the recording if it was done on a pc.

according to the chart at the following link though, tough as it is to see, it would appear the itv hd channel on freeview is somewhere around the 8MB/sec though, which according to the post by sean here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73871854&postcount=394

is similar to rte. if the graph taken from the first link is 1920*1080, that's even more impressive

i'd expect bitrate to have a more important influence on motion and perhaps quality than resolution would anyway

mossym wrote: »
    neither is rte's, it's 1440 *1080, so if they aere all 1920 you could argue a direct comparision is reduandant

I know, I was pointing out that not all ITV's are even the same.

Notice tonight when RTÉ Two went from sports promo to the start of The Butcher Boy, the DOG moved slightly & drifted from whatever quality setting it was on to a less sharper DOG.

Ireland v France in HD on RTÉ2.

The "Available in HD on Saorview" info banner at the top of the screen made a briefer appearence on this occasion but should have been done before the match started.

Saw the tail end of the Wales on BBC One HD earlier, in camparison the RTÉ HD picture seems to be clearer & sharper today. Maybe this was due to the fact that the Wales game was played with the stadium roof closed & lit by artifical light only, whereas the game in the Aviva is under natural light complimented by floodlights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

The Cush wrote: »
    Ireland v France in HD on RTÉ2.

The "Available in HD on Saorview" info banner at the top of the screen made a briefer appearence on this occasion but should have been done before the match started.

The "Available in HD on Saorview" was also shown during the build up.

Advertisement