Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

League of Legends (LoL) General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

My main problem with the game atm is ip costs. Ive levelled 2 Asian accounts now and have to play with suboptimal runes. That and over here more than half the champs are 6300ip. I really dont mind supporting but when the only champs I can afford are Sh1traka and Alistar it isnt ideal. Especially when gold/10 quints and a rune page prob costs about 10000ip. They really need to introduce universal account porting. Why is it only NA/EUW/ENE? I cant even port a PH account to VN. Garena sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Kold wrote: »
    My main problem with the game atm is ip costs. Ive levelled 2 Asian accounts now and have to play with suboptimal runes. That and over here more than half the champs are 6300ip. I really dont mind supporting but when the only champs I can afford are Sh1traka and Alistar it isnt ideal. Especially when gold/10 quints and a rune page prob costs about 10000ip. They really need to introduce universal account porting. Why is it only NA/EUW/ENE? I cant even port a PH account to VN. Garena sucks.

I dont understand why they cant have unlimited runes and masteries slots. Why be restricted to only 2 & 3... it makes team selects more difficult in pickups. Agree that the costs of runes should come down... no need for them to be so expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Sycopat

Playboy wrote: »
    I dont understand why they cant have unlimited runes and masteries slots. Why be restricted to only 2 & 3... it makes team selects more difficult in pickups. Agree that the costs of runes should come down... no need for them to be so expensive

You're not limited in mastery pages (or if you are it's a high number), but someone else will likely have pointed that out before I've posted.

The IP costs thing, I can understand it's annoying, but that's pretty much by design. High IP costs encourages people to buy RP.

Same thing happens in loads of 'free' games, it's pretty much their business model.

Sycopat wrote: »
    You're not limited in mastery pages (or if you are it's a high number), but someone else will likely have pointed that out before I've posted.

The IP costs thing, I can understand it's annoying, but that's pretty much by design. High IP costs encourages people to buy RP.

Same thing happens in loads of 'free' games, it's pretty much their business model.

Thing is Ive spent a good bit of money on 2 accounts already which is why im reluctant to do so now despite the fact that theres a good chance of my viet account becoming my main.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Sycopat

Thing is Ive spent a good bit of money on 2 accounts already which is why im reluctant to do so now despite the fact that theres a good chance of my viet account becoming my main.

Oh yeah, and it's completely understandable that you'd be pissed off/fed up with having to do it over and over again.

Hell, you're more patient than I am for even attempting it. I guarantee I'd get fed up and wander off instead.

Your universal account porting really should be implemented. It is not difficult to transfer files from one computer to another. Some companies just love to make it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Yay Vi is finally free to try!

She's pretty fun so far.

Played her in a few ARAMs, seemed pretty meh. Wish I played her before the nerfs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Yeah Zonyas works against her ulti.

I really like her kit, also it just feels nice to punch people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

I personally think Vi is pretty useless. They nerfed her into the ground and she falls off so so much. Used to play her a lot before but I couldn't go near her in her current state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I think she is still viable. She has quick clear times. She seems best early game. Many people won't gank with her until level 6. I find a quick clear and gank with both buffs at level 3 works better with her than many other junglers. You just have to hit your q well.

Her ult is still great for locking down the enemy ADC in a team fight.

I wouldn't play her top lane though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Vi can still do some damage around the lower leagues, especially from the Jungle. As a Top laner I think the nerfs killed that as being viable. Dodging her abilities makes her drain mana fast with no payoff, and makes her easy to pressure.

Her kit as it is now, is viable enough coming from the jungle, but she needs a good early gank or two to scale nicely and really impact mid-late game teamfights.

• Advertisement

Arcadecon League of Legends tournament

ATT VS Draven's Urfriders

Time: Friday 8:30 (Paris time) 23.05.2013

Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/Arcadecon2013
    Bracket: http://challonge.com/arcadecconlolchamphionship2013

Looking forward to the match tonight. Alot of practice has gone in, and alot of talking and prep, for weeks at this stage. We got a pass into the second round so have definitely had that little bit more time to prepare. Hopefully will be a good match :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

My team was beaten in that back in April so fair play to ye on getting through to the next round ;)

All Stars
    Wellity, Korea win and China come 2nd. The big surprise is that there is no surprise. You'd love for NA/EU to be able to compete but the last few events seem to put Gambit as the only team from either region that comes close.

My team was beaten in that back in April so fair play to ye on getting through to the next round ;)

Thanks.

We won our matches convincingly with two strong performances, VOd's available on the stream link :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Where does all the take place?

Never here of any Irish team anywhere? Is there a circuit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭dunworth1

getting back into this the last day or so

now that i got myself a 22in monitor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Where does all the take place?

Never here of any Irish team anywhere? Is there a circuit?

It's on the Irish league of legends facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

All Stars
    Wellity, Korea win and China come 2nd. The big surprise is that there is no surprise. You'd love for NA/EU to be able to compete but the last few events seem to put Gambit as the only team from either region that comes close.
    Yea its not surprising, there were some great plays over the weekend though. Fair play to soaz for winning the toplane 1v1s, at least Europe won something. EU did horribly, but they deserved to lose like that, NA put in so much effort and it showed, especially when they played EU. EU didn't practise enough at all.

Its just a pity that there is no proper competition when it comes to the world level. The Chinese & Koreans win everything and its becoming somewhat stale IMO. Most teams no longer expect to do well against them. I really hope that when it comes to worlds, Gambit can take them down a peg or two.

You'd swear the way people go on it's some DNA level of gosu that keeps the Koreans etc. above NA and EU. It is literally down to dedication, understanding of the game and efficient practice. That is it.

If they are not prepared to put in the 8-10 hours proper practice and scrimming per day, then I don't know what they expect. It's like if a Premier League team cut their traning down to twice a week when the rest train four, and wonder why they keep loosing. It's being glaringly obvious since Starcraft in fairness, and STILL the various regions don't seem to cop it.

Have a look at Snoopeh lately. I'm a big fan of his, but he is constantly travelling and taking time off to do various stuff. You know what Koreans are doing in mid season break , practising.

And when someone from NA or EU, in anygame sticks it to some Koreans there is a furor of " OMFG how did he do that", it's so simply, its called practice and being efficient with your time.

One day the penny will drop.

TheDoc wrote: »
    You'd swear the way people go on it's some DNA level of gosu that keeps the Koreans etc. above NA and EU. It is literally down to dedication, understanding of the game and efficient practice. That is it.

If they are not prepared to put in the 8-10 hours proper practice and scrimming per day, then I don't know what they expect. It's like if a Premier League team cut their traning down to twice a week when the rest train four, and wonder why they keep loosing. It's being glaringly obvious since Starcraft in fairness, and STILL the various regions don't seem to cop it.

Have a look at Snoopeh lately. I'm a big fan of his, but he is constantly travelling and taking time off to do various stuff. You know what Koreans are doing in mid season break , practising.

And when someone from NA or EU, in anygame sticks it to some Koreans there is a furor of " OMFG how did he do that", it's so simply, its called practice and being efficient with your time.

One day the penny will drop.

Excellent point Doc, especially about Snoopeh, and EG as a whole. They seem to spend more time doing PR stuff than actually practising/scrimming.

I think the fact that eSports has been established much better in China & Korea also has something to do with it though. Teams are more dedicated as you said, but the also have a host of other factors helping them because the scene is so popular and established, teams out there have the cash flow to hire analysts and multiple coaches, tehy can also pay their players enough to not have to stream as much. Meaning they can practise as a team and perfect mechanics rather than going into soloQ. Most EU & NA teams don't have analysts who study their opponents/watch vods & replays for them, they have to do it themselves. Whereas almost all the Asian teams have at least one. I'd reckon TSM, Curse and CLG will be bringing them in after experiencing having one during their bootcamp.

Ill also hazard a guess that professional gaming being a more accepted profession over there (because its been established longer) helps too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Y It is literally down to dedication, understanding of the game and efficient practice. That is it.
    Korvanica wrote: »
    tehy can also pay their players enough to not have to stream as much.

This.....
    Go on twitch in the morning or after noon and you see loads of NA and EU players streaming. They often stream for 12 hours at a time several times a week. If they were to us this time to practice as a team imagine the progress they would make. They all have good individual skill but you can see that teamwork is lacking.

However you can't blame them from streaming as currently this is the best way for these players to make money.

I get where your coming from on the last two points but I have to disagree and they are sometimes the lazy points referred to by alot of people.

Professional gaming doesn't bank on there being an acceptance as a profession etc. Simply put it's not a proffesion. It is one of the most volatile, low paid, short term careers you can get into. And typically those that do, do so at a young age not realising it's so short term. There is a graveyard of players who finished their gaming and went onto nothingness after not doing any sort of degree or education in parallel to gaming.

Most teams have alot of people around them. I worked closely with the WC3 teams for 4K and SK back in the day. I was a decent level, but had a really good understanding of the game. There was regular discussions and analysis with the team members and the staff, stat gathering and the likes. I remember doing a serious amount of replay analysis for ToD ahead of a Clanbase cup where he was struggling to deal with Orc players. I think the support is there for the teams. If they use it or not it's another thing. I typically find the NA and EU players, and this seems to spawn across all genres, are outrageously egotistical and feel they can cope with everything. And they quickly disregard opinions and feedback.

Any other sport in the world will show you, that typically good players don't turn into good coaches or managers, and it's a different skillset required. That still hasn't transcended into the arena of gaming yet unfortunately, but eventually teams will cop on.

The advent of the team houses is a good start. It creates bonds and cohesion within the teams, the next step is to make sure they adhere to some strict practice and that they are being efficent.

As much as I enjoy watching players play solo queue on twitch.tv, it's only purpose is to generate revenue for the player and to expand the brand of the organisation. The Koreans and Asians on the other hand, are busy practising or having brainstorming sessions, while the likes of the Na teams are having good laughs stomping Solo queue : /

Quite a few of the Asian players do stream as you can view them on Azubu.tv but the likes of snoopeh doing A-Z jungling and just doing plain stupid stuff is pretty common and I think EG needed to be taken down a notch in the LCS but I don't think it will help them. edit: I mean more so that they won't change what they are doing.

Yellowpete was also an awful choice for the AllStars, he isn't even close to good enough. Any game you see EG do well in is generally from clutch player from Krepo and Froggen. Yellowstar is never really a dominating feature in any of their games and Wickd is a poor top laner in my opinion, his champ pool is small and he never really dominates his lane. He can just help progress and help snowball a victory that is generally contributed to the other two I mentioned.

This is all my own opinion of course, feel free to agree or disagree! :P

Any word on the MOBA forum ?

There isn't really enough talk of it to warrant an individual forum in my opinion.

n1ck wrote: »
    There isn't really enough talk of it to warrant an individual forum in my opinion.

There is a specific forum request up, where it got way over the actual +1 requirement I believe. So I think next step is to wait for it to be approved.

I'm sure it will get more traffice then the Doom,Quake, Wolfenstein and other deadarsed forums around here ;)

Aye, and the DOTA & Lol threads are always on the first page of the games forum. Plus Dawngate is in Beta at the moment (its awesome). More mobas are coming as the genre is still in its infancy.

Mods on the Requests forum dont seem to be doing much tbh, theres loads of open ones with a good few +1s that are older than the MOBA request.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Not yet, I apologise. I will let you know as soon as I know anything.

n1ck wrote: »

That's a very ignorant thing to say for, by far, the most popular online gaming genre at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

Started this today. It's pretty good. Only really getting the hang of it.

• Advertisement

That's a very ignorant thing to say for, by far, the most popular online gaming genre at the moment.

In fairness I get where N1ck is coming from, most of the Irish based chatter I see comes from the Facebook group and another community forum.

So I think it's fair to say that most of the discussion and traffic is elsewhere, and boards is typically viewed, definitely from gaming communities ( and from years of experience) a place where mostly new players come to discuss and ask questions, but when they develop some knowledge about the game move onto more advance forums and message boards : /

Advertisement