Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

League of Legends (LoL) General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

G.J. wrote: »
    I'm not too sure about that, Elise vs. Pantheon matchup should be easy enough as Elise, start Cloth 5 and just harass him out of lane.

I'd say it's more of a skill matchup than anything, either side can win the lane based on how they play it.

Agreed, its a 50-50 lane imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

But trolling is the best part of the internet :(

And I won't bother posting screens anymore :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ravenworld

There is tomorrow a LAN party that some of us will attend and it would be awesome to meet with any of you that wanna come there.

Here are the details: http://gascon2013.eventbrite.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Sycopat

But trolling is the best part of the internet :(

This isn't aimed at you, it's a pet hate of mine that no one appreciates what trolling is anymore, but being a douchenozzle on the internet is not trolling. Trolling is tricking people. A good troll appears honest, even reasonable, and to the observer (and occasionally the victim) amusing.

Being mean to people for fun is 'griefing'.

Even wikipedia knows the difference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

Ravenworld wrote: »
    There is tomorrow a LAN party that some of us will attend and it would be awesome to meet with any of you that wanna come there.

Here are the details: http://gascon2013.eventbrite.ie/

Unfortunately, I shall be spending tomorrow down the country, getting drunk :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

EU all star team

Top Lane: Fnatic sOAZ
    Jungle: Gambit Diamond
    Mid Lane: Gambit Alex Ich
    AD Carry: EG Yellowpete
    Support: Gambit EDward

So was it only a rumour that Diamond said it was a waste of his time and he was not interested?

• Advertisement

Sycopat wrote: »
    This isn't aimed at you, it's a pet hate of mine that no one appreciates what trolling is anymore, but being a douchenozzle on the internet is not trolling. Trolling is tricking people. A good troll appears honest, even reasonable, and to the observer (and occasionally the victim) amusing.

Being mean to people for fun is 'griefing'.

Even wikipedia knows the difference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

And I wasn't referring to any chat. :X

PS: I would also use Wikipedia as a legitimate source of information ._.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

tuxy wrote: »
    EU all star team

Top Lane: Fnatic sOAZ
    Jungle: Gambit Diamond
    Mid Lane: Gambit Alex Ich
    AD Carry: EG Yellowpete
    Support: Gambit EDward

So was it only a rumour that Diamond said it was a waste of his time and he was not interested?

He definitely said it. Either his mind was changed or he was pressured.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Honestly it just seems the higher level you get the more this game annoys you. People barely communicate and just lock in whatever they want, then they won't surrender when our terrible comp just can't cope and one lane has fed. :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Hey folks.

<n00b>

I've played quite a shameful amount of Dota2, but haven't played any LoL.

Considering it for a change of scenery.

Would the transition be difficult for me or is it very similar?

If it is similar, is it too similar, in that I won't find it very different, or would it make for some refreshing new gameplay?

</n00b>

Thanks!

The worst part about it is I know I'm probably contributing to it! Even though I try not sometimes it's hard to sometimes not blame your team mates for ruining the game.

• Advertisement

The worst part about it is I know I'm probably contributing to it! Even though I try not sometimes it's hard to sometimes not blame your team mates for ruining the game.

It's true this kind of mindset seems contagious! It's easier to see other peoples mistakes. I have to actively remind myself to chill out. Getting stuck in a game for 45 mins or so with a feeder is frustrating but it's even worse if you get angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Just played a game there and one of my team mates was playing Sion - what a beast! Got so so many champ kills, we're all inexperienced maybe but Sion seems really OP based on that one game.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭EmeraldDragon

ionapaul wrote: »
    Just played a game there and one of my team mates was playing Sion - what a beast! Got so so many champ kills, we're all inexperienced maybe but Sion seems really OP based on that one game.

That will be one of the very few games you will ever have with sion where he seems op.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Whats the story with ranked league points? I win 3 games in a row and get about 39 points, then lose my next one and get reverted back to zero. I know there is like ELO brackets for each league and like a hidden ELO for myself but i dont get it. I just want it to staph!

I have been told that my gains in ranked will even out eventually. Is it a case of just sucking it up and playing until it all evens out?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭EmeraldDragon

As it stands you probably lose on average more than you win or you are simply in a division that you reached in a very short period of time so the system thinks you are playing above your level and is attempting to have you drop down to a more stable level. The only way to fix this is to keep playing and after about a week or so it should have evened out. All depends on how many games you play though.

KonFusion wrote: »
    Hey folks.

<n00b>

If it is similar, is it too similar, in that I won't find it very different, or would it make for some refreshing new gameplay?

</n00b>

Thanks!

You can last hit. You'll dominate most players for the first 15 levels.
    I have been told that my gains in ranked will even out eventually. Is it a case of just sucking it up and playing until it all evens out?

Yes.

And I wasn't referring to any chat. :X

PS: I would also use Wikipedia as a legitimate source of information ._.

:D
    KonFusion wrote: »
    Hey folks.

<n00b>

</n00b>

Thanks!

My experience of Dota2(Which isn't much relatively): It's probably easier to go from Dota to LoL than vise versa, LoL feels more forgiving in the early levels and has less focus on counter-picking, and a certain amount of skill is transferable between games.

I think they're both worth playing, which is better depending more on personal taste. (forex I like that LoL's aesthethic is less serious than that of Dota. Other people will feel differently. I also feel it's easier to just 'pick up and play'.)
    Whats the story with ranked league points? I win 3 games in a row and get about 39 points, then lose my next one and get reverted back to zero. I know there is like ELO brackets for each league and like a hidden ELO for myself but i dont get it. I just want it to staph!

It'll even out eventually, elo is a function of games played so more games played = smoother scaling = smoother league point win/loss. So you'll eventually rise or drop to where it thinks you're supposed to be.

Exception is if you're stuck in division 5 of a tier, as you can't drop a tier except by not playing afaik. (Although I think they should change that tbh.)

Anybody get to that con at the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭G.J.

tuxy wrote: »
    It's true this kind of mindset seems contagious! It's easier to see other peoples mistakes. I have to actively remind myself to chill out. Getting stuck in a game for 45 mins or so with a feeder is frustrating but it's even worse if you get angry.

I've gotten used to the mindset that there's no point in criticising anyone but yourself in League of Legends. Being able to see your own mistakes and improve is the only way to get better at the game.

Even if you won your lane, got fed and still lost, there's still always points that you can improve on. Maybe you should have roamed more, maybe you should have tried to get kills onto your losing lane, maybe you should have put more pressure on your lane to force people to come to you. We rarely play perfectly, and we can always play better.

Don't just play to win, play to get better.

I've gotten used to the mindset that there's no point in criticising anyone but yourself in League of Legends. Being able to see your own mistakes and improve is the only way to get better at the game.

Even if you won your lane, got fed and still lost, there's still always points that you can improve on. Maybe you should have roamed more, maybe you should have tried to get kills onto your losing lane, maybe you should have put more pressure on your lane to force people to come to you. We rarely play perfectly, and we can always play better.

Don't just play to win, play to get better.

Good post,

and although I know LoL requires less mechanical skill than starcraft some of the videos in this post I found at the penny arcade report really show just how much better it is possible to be at pressing buttons.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/esports-and-speed-why-apm-is-important-in-starcraft-and-how-sc2-allowed-pla

I thought it was cool, would love to see the hands of pro lol players. Would love to hear their playcalling too provided it didn't sound like those guys from the COD tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭G.J.

Great video about Doublelift's path to becoming a pro player, for those who might be interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Great video about Doublelift's path to becoming a pro player, for those who might be interested.

Wow, i've never seen that before and I've literally never seen a side of Doublelift that isn't cocky but that was pretty emotional and I'd say incredibly tough on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Travis was pretty awesome for what he did.

Kold wrote: »
    Travis was pretty awesome for what he did.

He posted his own side of things here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B0mjLxCSoU

found it on reddit earlier. Not as good as the doublelift video but I thought it was interesting. /shrug

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Laviski

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

By the by, if anyone wasn't aware, Irelands first LoL tournament is underway. You can catch the streams here http://www.twitch.tv/arcadecon2013 and the brackets are up at http://challonge.com/arcadecconlolchamphionship2013

It's good the guys put the effort into organising this. There is a Riot panel at the actual Arcadeon event itself. The plan was to have the actual finals played live, but they are running the whole thing online now, just playing VODs at the event.

I've been watching replays of the games, scoping out the opposition and all that stuff. It's always good to see this things start, and hopefully lessons can be learned and a few things refined for future iterations or even people running their own event. Standard so far is probably around Bronze - Silver from what I've seen with what looks like alot of people just putting together teams for this event. But the Best of 3 format is good in that it makes for a decent series of games.

Fingers crossed we can do some damage and go far in it ;)

Just gonna leave a note here saying that since I got my new job I have 0 time for LoL. Was fun levelling to 30 and all but I simply have too much work to do nowadays. As a result if people want an account to mess around on or some low level guys want to play on it to try out higher levels just reply below or PM me. The account is level 30 and has never played a Ranked game. My win % are stupidly high (streaks around 7-10 before losing) and I've unlocked a variety of different champs.

Examples of some of my favorite champs:

Jungle Hecarim, Nasus, Jax

ADC Tristana, Ashe, Caitlyn

Support Lulu, Sona, Taric

Top Diana, Jax, Nasus, Malphite, SINGED!!

Mid Diana & Twisted Fate

I've unlocked plenty others but they are my favorites so you get plenty of choice to choose from. I have no skins unlocked. People can do whatever they want with the account but if I get warning e-mails I will disable the account as I still don't want my online nickname tarnished will still want to mess around on the account. Feel free to take up the offer or ignore it. =)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

First time I've ever played Miss Fortune:

8681955854_bda4f13d77_c.jpg

Think she's my new favourite champ... :) Ignore the fact it was a 5v4!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Just found out that this is on Mac now, and it even runs decently on my ancient battleship.

Any tips on how to get decent?

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Just found out that this is on Mac now, and it even runs decently on my ancient battleship.

Any tips on how to get decent?

Same as anything else, practice. I think most people feel a bit lost at first the game looks so basic but has so much depth.

• Advertisement

Mac client isn't perfect but I've been playing on it for a month now with no bothers!

Watch vids, thats how i learned the most. It's good to see how the game should be played.

Advertisement