Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Jaysus though, I asked some idling bus drivers in donnybrook if they knew anything about it and they said it was news to them, they had been waiting an hour for the buses they were supposed to be driving...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

You're comparing one tabloid to another, though. The Express may not be a "red top", but lets' face it; the Express and the Daily Mail are pretty much in the same vein as a tabloid. You don't expect clear, balanced and intelligent reporting from any of them.

You shouldn't, but the fact of the matter is that a lot of people unfortunately do take the rubbish in these "news" papers as fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

gigino wrote: »
    Is that the reason this 85 year old great grannie was brought to Croke Parkt, even though she has no interest in football - but yet she was not brough to Mullaghmore which is where her Uncle + family happily spent their months holidays each year and where he + others were murdered ?
    Well the Queen attends a lot of functions of which she is not to fussy about and I don't know why she was invited to Croke Park ,like the Islandbridge vist it's part of the Itinerary of which a lot of thought went into I'm sure .As far as visiting Mullaghmore ,why would you want to bring her there to be reminded of were her uncle was murdered ? .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I don't know if this is because my home city (Liverpool) has a huge Irish community living there, and there has always been great sympathy for the Irish struggle, in Liverpool; but we all knew about Bloody Sunday (the first one, that is).
    I clearly remember reading about it. Also, ofcourse, the movie "Michael Collins" covered the event and a lot of English people would have been made aware of it through that.

Yep. Certainly at my school in Essex we learned about the Irish struggle for Independence, including Bloody Sunday, at A Level.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Is that the reason this 85 year old great grannie was brought to Croke Parkt, even though she has no interest in football - but yet she was not brough to Mullaghmore which is where her Uncle + family happily spent their months holidays each year and where he + others were murdered ?

Lord Mountbatten was Prince Philips's uncle AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Thats the image of Ireland now in some peoples minds - an unfriendly country where young yobbos riot when the head of state of our neighbouring island, an 85 year old great grannie, visits. Each time they send over 7 billion , to save our skin, we do not riot at that though ?

No offence but I really, really resent reading this bull the last few days on here.
    The bilateral loan offered as it was in the UK's national interest, amounted to £3.25billion with an expected interest payback of £414million to the UK.
    Denmark and Sweden judged it was in their national interest to also offer bilateral loans.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

It looked a lovely pint- cant believe the Queen didnt take a gulp of it.

The guy at the bar called her "her Royal Heiness" tut tut its "her Magesty"

Philip looked like he was raring to have a go of the black stuff. although after a certain IMF head found out- its better to ask before you grab the black stuff.....:P

I'll get my coat
    The Queen is not allowed to be photographed while eating and drinking so that is why she didn't take a sip.

The other thing is, my granny is 85 too and she is one of those women who grew up believing that it was unlady like to drink from a pint glass. I reckon that the Queen would feel the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Philip was dying for that pint!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

murpho999 wrote: »
    it's the tabloids that sell most and have a large influence in forming people's opinions.
    Millions of joe soaps don't buy any tabloids at all because they are full of shyte .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

TV3's coverage sucks ass compared to RTE's yesterday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

Has Phil insulted us yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Will be the Queen be meeting the most important people of the GAA,the players,be a nice touch if each county was represented by a member of their county teams,I doubt this will happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Was it Amanda Brunker?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Love watching John Hayes in that clip singing the national anthem with so much passion and emotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

MrsD007 wrote: »
    The Queen is not allowed to be photographed while eating and drinking so that is why she didn't take a sip.

The other thing is, my granny is 85 too and she is one of those women who grew up believing that it was unlady like to drink from a pint glass. I reckon that the Queen would feel the same.

In all fairness I can't imagine she would get stuck into a beer in a half pint glass either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Does anyone know if the buses are running again yet? Need to get a 4 from Blackrock and then a 27 out of town, don't wanna end up stranded in town this evening! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

Jaysus, if only there was the same rule for Brian Cowen.

http://i.imgur.com/0ikAk.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

gambiaman wrote: »
    The bilateral loan offered as it was in the UK's national interest, amounted to £3.25billion with an expected interest payback of £414million to the UK.
    And what about the other tens of billions we have received from the UK, inc through EC / EEC funds/ grants / handouts etc, and the tens of billions their banks already lent us too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Isnt Christy Cooney the head off Bertie

And what about the other tens of billions we have received from the UK, inc through EC / EEC funds/ grants / handouts etc, and the tens of billions their banks already lent us too ?

I'm not getting into an argument on this thread.
    You were wrong with your 7billion and wrong to simply say it was to save our skin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Minister Christy Ring???

Is this presenter from Cork?

Edit, now corrected

Luxie wrote: »
    Has Phil insulted us yet?

Unfortunately no - though plenty of time left ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,314 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Lord Mountbatten was Prince Philips's uncle AFAIK.

No, Philip is a Greek who adopted the surname Mountbatten and dropped his own surname. Lord Mountbatten was from Elizabeths side of the family.

edit,Actually, no, seems you are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Crap that she has to visit an empty stadium!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

could have at least got some of the good G.A.A players :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

"Sucks ass" ????

Does that mean that it's better or that it's ****e?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

the irish government didn't murder her uncle. If the Queen didn't want to come here, she didn't have to. She's apparently abdicating in 2013, she could have left the visit to Charles to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I wish the people in RTE would just shut up so we could hear what they are saying!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,988 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

She prefers Phil to bite the bottle-cap off with his teeth so that she can slug it straight from the bottle. If he's not around, she usually breaks the bottle-neck by smashing it on a table and then sucks the beer through the glass fragments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Does anybody else hope someone trips or do something so this can become remotely interesting?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement