Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Morlar wrote: »
    The british media coverage is a joke. It perfectly illustrates that attitudes across the water have not developed much in recent times.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Fair point, however the argument is diluted when the same people support the existence and actions of said illegal terrorist organisation, no ?

No, I don't think so. When it's a Government Security Force allegedly involved or failing to get involved when it comes to the safety of civilians, it directly brings the government employing it into the frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

:eek:

indeedie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

The british media coverage is a joke. It perfectly illustrates that attitudes across the water have not developed much in recent times.

The English people are not just some great seething mass, utterly incapable of independant thought or speech. We are capable of forming our own opinions, and reaching our own conclusions.
    I would say, especially now that the bombs have stopped and the heat is off, the English people are more able, and much more willing, to look at the Irish Question from the point of view of the Irish.
    With ever growing Irish communities in every part of Britain, and much more mutual respect, things are moving a long nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

murpho999 wrote: »
    Well he grimaced a bit when asked but said it was mooted about 10 years ago and was deemed not necessary as there is lots of of opportunities with EU etc and also Irish people don't really understand the Commonwealth anyway.

He probably offered to sell us to the Commonwealth for a decent price :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Will the Queen be going to the Europa League final tonight? There's plenty of spare seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Kevin Myres should be given to her Magesty as a gift

Do you really dislike her that much?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I hope that the tourism industry doesn't fuck it up by some charging visitors extortionate prices to go into attractions around the country.:(

I think for example, that €17 for an adult to visit a hole in the ground at the Ailwee Cave in Clare is robbery.

http://www.aillweecave.ie/aillwee_cave_admission.htm

=
    +1
    i believe Dublin hotels are gouging the Portuguese fans over for the Europa League Final tonight.
    When will they ever learn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Hey, hey! I've been in Reno for 6 weeks, did I miss anything? What's all this talk about a Queen? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Originally Posted by Morlar View Post
    I'm not sure what coverage you are watching but BBC news 24 coverage has being well balanced informative and accurate in it's reporting as have ITN news .
    The English people are not just some great seething mass, utterly incapable of independant thought or speech. We are capable of forming our own opinions, and reaching our own conclusions.
    I would say, especially now that the bombs have stopped and the heat is off, the English people are more able, and much more willing, to look at the Irish Question from the point of view of the Irish.
    With ever growing Irish communities in every part of Britain, and much more mutual respect, things are moving a long nicely.
    Amen !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think the long term success of this visit is riding on the speech this evening, and whether or not she expresses an element of regret/sorrow at the wrongs committed on this island by the forces of the british crown.

The 'nod of acknowledgement' to the men who fought and died for Ireland's Independence at the Garden of Remembrance was nice, but it is too ambiguous to progress things in my view.

I sort of agree with what you mean here. Fed up with Sky News' focus being on stupid protestors and not focussing on success of visit.

Also, surprised at a lot of British papers , particularly the red tops do not have it as a front page story.

Even the Daily Express states that "Queen Defies 2 bombs to come to Ireland."

This sort of coverage just gives the impression of the Queen not being welcome and also the significance of what has happened over the last couple of days and why venues like Croke Park is important is not fully explained and therefore not fully understood by British people.

I have often been shocked by how little the average Joe Soap in England knows about what has happened in Ireland and I'm afraid that will never change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I hope that the tourism industry doesn't fuck it up by some charging visitors extortionate prices to go into attractions around the country.:(

I think for example, that €17 for an adult to visit a hole in the ground at the Ailwee Cave in Clare is robbery.

http://www.aillweecave.ie/aillwee_cave_admission.htm

not to mention the 'oh look here, were nailed some owls to the ground and called it a sanctuary' or the rip off at the ruinned cliffs of moher, the rubbish guiness brewery etc. Ireland has some great attractions and the best ones are the free ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

I sort of agree with what you mean here. Fed up with Sky News' focus being on stupid protestors and not focussing on success of visit.

Also, surprised at a lot of British papers , particularly the red tops do not have it as a front page story.

This sort of coverage just gives the impression of the Queen not being welcome and also the significance of what has happened over the last couple of days and why venues like Croke Park is important is not fully explained and therefore not fully understood by British people.

I have often been shocked by how little the average Joe Soap in England knows about what has happened in Ireland and I'm afraid that will never change.

Sadly, most people in Britain wouldn't have a clue about their own history. Let alone that of a neigbouring country.

You're comparing one tabloid to another, though. The Express may not be a "red top", but lets' face it; the Express and the Daily Mail are pretty much in the same vein as a tabloid. You don't expect clear, balanced and intelligent reporting from any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Adamisconfused

Joe Soap has always had his own problems so doesn't have time to focus on another country. Anyway, for decades, Joes from England and Ireland have been getting on pretty well, so I'm not sure what all this concern is about now. Look at the amount of us over there and them over here. Hardly at each other's throats are we?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,378 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

bonerm wrote: »
    Will the Queen be going to the Europa League final tonight? There's plenty of spare seats.

Will she be supporting Braga or Porto :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Latchy wrote: »
    I'm not sure what coverage you are watching but BBC news 24 coverage has being well balanced informative and accurate in it's reporting as have ITN news .

Amen !

BBC can usually be trusted to report truth.
    Not so the tabloid television service that is Sky

Even looking at the Sky News homepage, and their photo album with the heading:

"Violence broke out at several locations in Dublin as people gathered to protest against the Queen's visit to Ireland"

Yet as far as I can see, all the pictures were taken on Dorset Street or just off it and most of protestors look to be about 14!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

When the 4 day visit is over you will get a more balance view of the trip and as millions do , would look to BBC news 24/ITN for a fairer more accurate report than sky who always go for the cheap sensationalist shots

The Average Joe soap doesn't buy a red top ,look at the headlines and go '' Oh look ... it must be true ..it's on the front page '' ....

you have to give people more credit for seeing through all that .
    Well since yesterday I have seen both BBC news and ITN make severel references in the news reports to the Croke Park Massacre so if British people were not to aware of this event or understood it before ,they sure do now .

Have also had RTE players live coverage of the visit on to which has being spot on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I thought this was amusing

I don't know if this is because my home city (Liverpool) has a huge Irish community living there, and there has always been great sympathy for the Irish struggle, in Liverpool; but we all knew about Bloody Sunday (the first one, that is).
    I clearly remember reading about it. Also, ofcourse, the movie "Michael Collins" covered the event and a lot of English people would have been made aware of it through that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Even looking at the Sky News homepage, and their photo album with the heading:

"Violence broke out at several locations in Dublin as people gathered to protest against the Queen's visit to Ireland"

Yet as far as I can see, all the pictures were taken on Dorset Street or just off it and most of protestors look to be about 14!

Thats the image of Ireland now in some peoples minds - an unfriendly country where young yobbos riot when the head of state of our neighbouring island, an 85 year old great grannie, visits. Each time they send over 7 billion , to save our skin, we do not riot at that though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

I had to walk from Cork st to UCD this morning from 10:40 until 11:30 because the buses stopped running entirely.

What the ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

Anyone in the Croke Park area ATM? Have the sewer rats descended yet? Any trouble on Clonliffe Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

You're comparing one tabloid to another, though. The Express may not be a "red top", but lets' face it; the Express and the Daily Mail are pretty much in the same vein as a tabloid. You don't expect clear, balanced and intelligent reporting from any of them.

I know that but it's the tabloids that sell most and have a large influence in forming people's opinions.

Balanced papers are obviously read by more intelligent people who would have a better understanding but the average joe wouldn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

gigino wrote: »
    Thats the image of Ireland now in some peoples minds - an unfriendly country where young yobbos riot when the head of state of our neighbouring island, an 85 year old great grannie, visits. Each time they send over 7 billion , to save our skin, we do not riot at that though ?

The same morons that believe that over their are the same we see protesting here, i wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

gigino wrote: »
    A friend of mine from Holland sent me a message this morning asking was I alright after the 'riots' in Dublin! :eek:

Was well pissed off that he felt the need to be concerned after watching this on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

I know that but it's the tabloids that sell most and have a large influence in forming people's opinions.

Balanced papers are obviously read by more intelligent people who would have a better understanding but the average joe wouldn't!

There is no such thing as a balanced British Newspaper.

Don't say the Guardian, more left wing that Lenin :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Latchy wrote: »
    Well since yesterday I have seen both BBC news and ITN make severel references in the news reports to the Croke Park Massacre so if British people were not to aware of this event or understood it before ,they sure do now .

Is that the reason this 85 year old great grannie was brought to Croke Parkt, even though she has no interest in football - but yet she was not brough to Mullaghmore which is where her Uncle + family happily spent their months holidays each year and where he + others were murdered ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

craggles wrote: »
    I had to walk from Cork st to UCD this morning from 10:40 until 11:30 because the buses stopped running entirely.

What the ****.

Tbf, the buses were never up to scratch, iirc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement