Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options
  • 18-05-2011 10:06am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello folks,
    a new day and a new thread to keep things simple to follow.
    The Queen is set to visit Croke Park today:
    The Queen is set to tour Dublin's world famous Croke Park today - the site of a British massacre of Irish civilians.

The visit represents another milestone in public acknowledgements by the monarch of past wrongs committed by Britain during its rule of Ireland.

When the Queen arrived in Dublin for the start of her historic tour, she laid a wreath at the Garden of Remembrance which honours all those who died for Irish freedom in the early part of the 20th century.

During a Gaelic football challenge match at Croke Park in 1920, British soldiers shot dead 12 spectators and one player on Bloody Sunday. A further victim later died from his injuries.

The attack was an apparent reprisal as the night before nationalists had shot dead 14 members of the British Armed Forces.

The stadium is the home of the Gaelic Athletic Association, which has pledged to give the Queen a warm greeting when she arrives.

British Prime Minister David Cameron is to join the Queen today for part of her trip - highlighting the importance of the visit.

Mr Cameron will hold talks with Taoiseach Enda Kenny before joining the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh at a lavish state dinner at Dublin Castle hosted by President Mary McAleese in honour of the royal couple.

The monarch will give her only speech of her four-day state visit during the banquet, and Mrs McAleese will also make an address.

During the day, the Republic's First World War dead will be honoured by the Queen when she visits the Irish National War Memorial to lay a wreath, and she will also watch the "perfect pint" being pulled by a master brewer at the Guinness Storehouse.
    Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/queen-to-visit-croke-park-today-505435.html#ixzz1Mh2Sku5G

Usual rules apply...

No abuse
    No inciting violence
    Please PM if there are questions on moderating etc.
    Please report posts which cross the line....
    All those banned from yesterdays thread will now be granted amnesty.
    Don't waste it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Where is she going to sit on the throne?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Wonder what she will wear today.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭thehairyelbow

A Celtic shirt?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

dr.bollocko, you could have thanked me for the idea....:mad:

I'll put this to the republican membership of boards.ie

Are you comfortable with a rabble of football soccer jersey/hoodie wearing, coke and smack heads, many of whom are "known to the Gardai" respresenting your idelogy in the media so far?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Something orange?

She did green and white yesterday.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    dr.bollocko, you could have thanked me for the idea....:mad:

I'll put this to the republican membership of boards.ie

Are you comfortable with a rabble of football soccer jersey/hoodie wearing, coke and smack heads, many of whom are "known to the Gardai" respresenting your idelogy in the media so far?

Thanks mike65 on behalf of the AH mod team. we'd be lost without you. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Just heard about this visit to Croke Park on the radio, too......and it's a sign of how things really have moved on. Fair play to the Queen of England for agreeing to go to a venue where - aside from seeing the new stadium, which holds its own against the world - the underlying vibe will be "here's where your crowd murdered innocent Irish sports fans".

That takes guts, and hopefully the significance of that won't be lost.

Mind you, why she's going to Diageo to watch a faux-Irish product being poured is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

A Celtic shirt?;)

Nah, a Dublin shirt!

Thanks mike65 on behalf of the AH mod team. we'd be lost without you. :pac:

:o;)

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Nah, a Dublin shirt!

A Leinster shirt would be a nice touch with what is coming up next week. Royal blue and all. It would be perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Quick, someone paint the Spire to look like a giant snooker que and we'll wind her up that it was put there to commemorate the life of Alex Higgins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The Guinness Storehouse part of the visit seems badly timetabled as even seasoned Guinness drinkers amongst us don't really fancy a pint of plain on top of our breakfast. Much better if all the other things like Croke Park were behind them and the Royal couple might really appreciate a few scoops. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Don't be daft, she'll be entering Croke Park with a Roscommon jersey on her :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Nah, a Dublin shirt!

With one of these to finish off the ensemble

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

The Guinness Storehouse part of the visit seems badly timetabled as even seasoned Guinness drinkers amongst us don't really fancy a pint of plain on top of our breakfast. Much better if all the other things like Croke Park were behind them and the Royal couple might really appreciate a few scoops. :D

Couldn't agree more. A lunchtime pint of the black stuff would go down a treat for her & Phil though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

A Jedward mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hoping for a more peaceful day today with as little trouble or disruption as possible for all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Working on Merrion St. It's eerily quiet out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Don't be daft, she'll be entering Croke Park with a Roscommon jersey on her :pac:

Its the only time you'll see one there.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Looking forward to when she goes home so everything gets back to normal.

Also those lads who tried to light that flag yesterday were a disgrace... Have they never lit a flag on fire before? It's not that hard! How do you mess it up...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I'm bored with this Queen thing already.

Bring on Obama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Just heard about this visit to Croke Park on the radio, too......and it's a sign of how things really have moved on. Fair play to the Queen of England for agreeing to go to a venue where - aside from seeing the new stadium, which holds its own against the world - the underlying vibe will be "here's where your crowd murdered innocent Irish sports fans".

If only she'd waited another four weeks she could have worn her Take That tshirt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Looking forward to when she goes home so everything gets back to normal.

Also those lads who tried to light that flag yesterday were a disgrace... Have they never lit a flag on fire before? It's not that hard! How do you mess it up...

I think they were protesting against the poor quality of Royal Wedding commemorative flags by showing how they couldn't even burn properly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Looking at the footage on bbc and sky you got a view of dublin empty save for security personel and just outside it, rioters. I know if i was a foreign tourist dublin would look too dodgy to visit. well done lads

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

I hope she will make some form of apology (even though she probably wont) why is it such a difficult thing to do is the UK's ego to big to allow such a thing to happen, it would also give the dissidents one less excuse to use when committing violence. I dont like the way sky news has been reporting the whole thing always focusing on a few little scumbags in hoodies shouting around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Ooooh mixing it up - white and a green hat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

lcrcboy wrote: »
    I hope she will make some form of apology (even though she probably wont) why is it such a difficult thing to do is the UK's ego to big to allow such a thing to happen

Apparently it comes down to protocol. Heads of Government apologise, Heads of State don't. To be honest for me, the bowing of her head at the Garden of Remembrance yesterday was pretty symbolic. So even if an apology isn't forthcoming, that was a major move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

A Leinster shirt would be a nice touch with what is coming up next week. Royal blue and all. It would be perfect.

What ? And change to the Munster shirt the following week ? That's not couture!

lcrcboy wrote: »
    I hope she will make some form of apology (even though she probably wont) why is it such a difficult thing to do is the UK's ego to big to allow such a thing to happen

Heads of State do not issues appolgies, heads of government do that. So the best one might hope for at the speech tonight is an 'acknowledgment' or reference and that could be used by David Cameron who will be in Dublin today, to make a speech on 800 years in some fashion. We'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I popped a discreet but heartfelt middle finger up in the general direction of the Aras in a mild fit of impotent rage this morning.

By a curious coincidence, I realized I was passing the Patriot pub at that very moment.

How is that for serendipity?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement