Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TaraFoxglove

An eternity's worth of fapping material provided there for Kevin Myers

Heh, what happened? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

Missed business opportunity:

Setting up a Buckfast stall at the protests agains Queen Liz......feck it any way

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I have no interest in Royal Families and Monarchy (Think all countries should be a Republic) but must give QE2 credit for being good at all this Queening lark.

Seems to be constantly commemorating the dead, looking at ancient bits of wood and paper, looking at fireplaces, listening to national anthems and bloody bag pipes,meeting boring politicians and all the time she smiles and looks as interested as possible when in deep down she must be bored out of her tree and would probably prefer to be at home with her G&T and Racing post.

Rather her than me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Setting up a Buckfast stall at the protests agains Queen Liz......feck it any way

You'd need to factor in the security overheads there. The lack of normal stroke opportunities seems to have riled up the local flora and fauna.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Don't associated that fine beverage with those idiots.

A stall selling history books, a map of the British Isles with Glasgow circled and the concept of hypocrisy would be more beneficial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Heh, what happened? :D

She shook his hand.

Expect a long-winded, synonym-heavy article about it in the coming hours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Newbie_2009

Id love to hear what they actually say when then get back into the Range Rover. In fairness to her it must be incredibly boring and hard to keep smiling when meeting loads of very boring Irish politicans . At least McAleese has a personality. I doubt enda makes for very interesting company.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cornelius whatshisface the crazy priest is out on Grafton St doing jigs to entertain the lunchtime crowd, in front of some banner proclaiming that the Queen is a prophet of doom, or something.

If nothing else, she certainly brings out the entertainment.

She shook his hand.

Expect a long-winded, synonym-heavy article about it in the coming hours!

They didn't actually shake hands, but I do think he had a semi!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Working on Merrion St. It's eerily quiet out there!

Street sweeping?

Sorry, couldn't resist...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The Michael Collins portrait looking down on the Queen and Enda was a nice touch!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,985 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Kevin Myres should be given to her Magesty as a gift

He could be the royal gimp, and she could walk him with the corgis.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

I have to say I felt sorry for the Queen, bloody boring job she has.

That Michael Collins portrait was kinda eerie hanging above her :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Fully agree. BBC said there were "pockets" of protesters. Which would seem about right, a few planks who reckon they have the right to disrupt what is a historical 4 days. The BBC also filmed some Dubs saying that she deserves respect and she was more than welcome, as any head of state would be!

She won't apologise,
    but I think the wreath at the Gardens of Remembrance was a monumental gesture! I'm looking forward to hearing what she has to say this evening.

The topic of her apologising was brought up on Today FM news,it is up to a head of government to apologise for past wrongs,not the queen as she is just a figurehead of the monarchy.If any apology is forthcoming it will have to be from the British prime minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Xivilai wrote: »
    I have to say I felt sorry for the Queen, bloody boring job she has.

That Michael Collins portrait was kinda eerie hanging above her :pac:

And that other great patriot, Bertie, is on Sky News!*

*Maybe slightly sarcastic.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Some good points to come from this visit is

1 it's gave official recognition to the hundreds of thousands of Irishmen ,north and south and from both divides who fought and died in world war one and two

2 Her visit will go some way to upping the tourist numbers visiting Ireland

The million of euros it cost to stage the security for these events will in the longer term be beneficial to the country

BBC news 24's reporting on the Queens vist is much more balanced and accurate on the historical events in Irish history than that Sky news .

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

I wonder will she take off her gloves to shake hands with the great unwashed today.....

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MrChavcore

you'd think bertie ahern would try harder to hide his face rather than give interviews on sky news. nobody likes you bertie, on your bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bigSuzi12

Anyone else notice that the band were playing "Wrap the Green Flag", slowly and discretely in the background, while she was going around shaking hands at the War Memorial? Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

lcrcboy wrote: »
    I hope she will make some form of apology (even though she probably wont) why is it such a difficult thing to do is the UK's ego to big to allow such a thing to happen, it would also give the dissidents one less excuse to use when committing violence. I dont like the way sky news has been reporting the whole thing always focusing on a few little scumbags in hoodies shouting around the place.

protocol dictates that she cant make an apology and wont .....
    but she will do a careful dance with words that is sanctioned by the British government , anything remotely political is under the governments remit and they ok or not , the speech will cobbled together by crown civil servants ,
    basically it will come as close as you can get with out actually getting one

a bit like sex with a condom - sun bathing with a bin liner on you
    you get all the heat but none of the tan !!! .....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,985 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Latchy wrote: »
    Some good points to come from this visit is

1 it's gave official recognition to the hundreds of thousands of Irishmen ,north and south and from both divides who fought and died in world war one and two

2 Her visit will go some way to upping the tourist numbers visiting Ireland

The million of euros it cost to stage the security for these events will in the longer term be beneficial to the country

BBC news 24's reporting on the Queens vist is much more balanced and accurate on the historical events in Irish history than that Sky news .

I hope that the tourism industry doesn't fuck it up by some charging visitors extortionate prices to go into attractions around the country.:(

I think for example, that €17 for an adult to visit a hole in the ground at the Ailwee Cave in Clare is robbery.

http://www.aillweecave.ie/aillwee_cave_admission.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Kevin Myres should be given to her Magesty as a gift

He'd look well with a big apple in his mouth. For a fella who laid into the overweight in a recent column, he'd want a good look in the mirror for himself.

MrChavcore wrote: »
    you'd think bertie ahern would try harder to hide his face rather than give interviews on sky news. nobody likes you bertie, on your bike.

He is totally discredited here but the thing is he is well known in UK for his contribution to peace process.

Boulton asked him if Ireland should join the Commonwealth....thought Bertie handed that well in fairness to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

murpho999 wrote: »
    Boulton asked him if Ireland should join the Commonwealth....thought Bertie handed that well in fairness to him!

What did he say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I hope that the tourism industry doesn't fuck it up by some charging visitors extortionate prices to go into attractions around the country.:(

I think for example, that €17 for an adult to visit a hole in the ground at the Ailwee Cave in Clare is robbery.

It sez you get into the Birds of Prey center for that as well, so presumably you get a ticket to skip the q into Copperface jacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

ejmaztec wrote: »

That does sound like robbery and something the tourist industry will have to work at .Lessons should be learned from the economic fallout ie, give value for money and don't fcuk up by overcharging people for the mediocre .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

dj jarvis wrote: »
    protocol dictates that she cant make an apology and wont .....
    but she will do a careful dance with words that is sanctioned by the British government , anything remotely political is under the governments remit and they ok or not , the speech will cobbled together by crown civil servants ,
    basically it will come as close as you can get with out actually getting one

a bit like sex with a condom - sun bathing with a bin liner on you
    you get all the heat but none of the tan !!! .....:D

According to a news report I have just watched she writes her own speeches and has apologised in the past, in South Africa in relation to the Boar wars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

MrChavcore wrote: »

His whiskey nose is a lot redder now he has to pay for his own makeup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I think the long term success of this visit is riding on the speech this evening, and whether or not she expresses an element of regret/sorrow at the wrongs committed on this island by the forces of the british crown.

The 'nod of acknowledgement' to the men who fought and died for Ireland's Independence at the Garden of Remembrance was nice, but it is too ambiguous to progress things in my view.

The british media coverage is a joke. It perfectly illustrates that attitudes across the water have not developed much in recent times.

• Advertisement

Beefy78 wrote: »
    What did he say?

Well he grimaced a bit when asked but said it was mooted about 10 years ago and was deemed not necessary as there is lots of of opportunities with EU etc and also Irish people don't really understand the Commonwealth anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement