Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Shmup High Score thread

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Hey, i have a high scores question. Sorry if this has already been done or has been been posted elsewhere already.

Has anybody tried storing & sharing high score files (for an emulator like mame for example) on a cloud somewhere? It just occurs to me that a retro game community could set up a community dropbox acount and stick the hiscore.dat save files in the public folder. They could then point their individual emulators at it instead of a local path, once they had net access on the PC in question.

Is this even feasible? Am i miles behind here & it's already been done? It would be cool to be able to get a bit of high score competition going in A&R, and windows sees dropbox as a local folder, even though it isn't one, so assigning a shared directory for multiple machines should be easy.

I've been doing it for a long time with some mates on MAME. I mentioned it here ages ago but there wasn't much interest.

Steve SI wrote: »
    I've been doing it for a long time with some mates on MAME. I mentioned it here ages ago but there wasn't much interest.

Damn. I hate when I have a great idea and find out that someone's beat me to it!

Did you run into any problems or is it as simple as it seems? Any problems from mame if there's not a persistent net connection on the PC? One of my machines I use a lot for emulation is a laptop and there's not interweb in a few places where I am. I presume the hi score in that case just doesn't save?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Would deffo be interested in a shared mame high scrore board
    this the thread you were talking about Si?

Would deffo be interested in a shared mame high scrore board

Yeah Me too, definitely.

Anybody with a yahoo mail address can set up disposable email addresses very easily in their settings. It's handy for signing up for multiple free accounts with stuff like Dropbox. A boardsies dropbox account would be easy to get going and put a folder in, then just share out the password via PM to anyone who wants it.

People could post high scores here for the rest of us to aim to beat, and having your name up in pixels on everybody's machine as top scorer would be a lot of fun.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Played a little bit of Ketsui on the 360 tonight, fabulous game. Think I'll invest a little time in this and see how I get on. Not sure why but I had Arcade mode set to Very Hard previously so dialed it back to Normal for a bit. Tried the second ship type and was getting nowhere so went back to the first type. Soon after got a new best score. First time hitting level 3 too. It's very addictive buzzing around the screen and gobbling up those 5 cubes. :pac:

Lots still to learn: 20,958,185.

b8JVL.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Played a little bit of Ketsui on the 360 tonight, fabulous game. Think I'll invest a little time in this and see how I get on. Not sure why but I had Arcade mode set to Very Hard previously so dialed it back to Normal for a bit. Tried the second ship type and was getting nowhere so went back to the first type. Soon after got a new best score. First time hitting level 3 too. It's very addictive buzzing around the screen and gobbling up those 5 cubes. :pac:

Lots still to learn: 20,958,185.

b8JVL.jpg

I do love shooters but I'm just not that great at them. I should really put some more time in a try and get some high scores.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Anyone here playing "Shogun: Rise of the Renegade" on Android? Excellent game, was looking at the Irish leaderboards and didn't recognise any of the names on it. Although the character limit could be an issue :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Anyone here playing "Shogun: Rise of the Renegade" on Android? Excellent game, was looking at the Irish leaderboards and didn't recognise any of the names on it. Although the character limit could be an issue :P
    Downloaded the demo of it after seeing this post, it's actually pretty good. Touch screen controls aren't ideal but they're not awful at the same time.

Tempted to pick up the full game now. I eventually beat your score for level 1 (the only demo level) after what I can only describe as "a fair few turns" at it!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Downloaded the demo of it after seeing this post, it's actually pretty good. Touch screen controls aren't ideal but they're not awful at the same time.

Tempted to pick up the full game now. I eventually beat your score for level 1 (the only demo level) after what I can only describe as "a fair few turns" at it!
    Would you believe I dropped my tablet and broke it last night. Gonna DL it on my phone but I doubt it will work very well on that. Highly recommend the full game it's really good.

Advertisement