Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Shmup High Score thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Woot! :D

highscore.jpg

Urine did quite poorly there.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Getting there slowly! I'm still finding new ways to score points, you've uncovered the same ones I have. There's a couple of gold boxes I chanced upon but can't remember where they are or at what point. I think they are worth 500 points each. I'll have a look tonight.

I found a good way to get good scores with the big boss that appears near the timer running out is best to defeat by getting as close as you can to him and shoot at point blank range. Seems to trigger off a few sound notifications, maybe points awarded?

If you can mimic his movements as closely as possible (the pattern is quite simple to remember after a few tries) then he'll be disposed of quickly and you'll get a bit more time in the next area. I've managed to have around 14 seconds left after the boss (and still didn't beat that score I posted!).

Another good tip apparently is to alter the settings of your ship in the options menu. I've not done this yet though, not even looked to see where it is!

I've heard that sound chime on the boss but can't figure out why. It might just be a speed thing alright.

I find I always seem to get to him around the 42/43 second mark. My time on him really varies though. Sometimes it can be really fast. Others I can't quite get the ship positioned correctly to shoot the sweet spot when his arms are gone and waste valuable time.

The best I did coming out of that was 17 seconds but there still really were no big points to get. So I think for this 2 minute thing you just have to really focus on everything up to him. If you miss any of those bonus scores there's no point going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

17 seconds is a good time to be left with after the boss. It's good enough to mop up a couple of extra points I guess. I agree though, if you don't rack up all the bonus points there is little point continuing other than to get some practice and pattern memorization in.

I also read somewhere that if you destroy enemies quick enough it prompts more to appear. I've not seen that yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Set up an ESPgaluda 2 challenge there for us Pyongyang. I just blast through :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

a0hq9y.png

There is a knack I finally figured out that will get you those last vital few 10,000 points easily (I couldn't get past that cursed 430,000-444,000 mark for ****ing ages), but that would be telling ;)

Again, slight room for improvement, but just about.

EDIT: Just to say y'all are spending your last fourteen seconds wrong ;) And if you defeat the ship just before the boss quickly, you'll get another wave of small ships to rack up a few thousand etc points. There's also a handy '2000' point gold collectible in the pool to the right of the snake midboss.

• Advertisement

GAME ON young Jonathan! I tip my bonnet to thee. :)

Thanks for the handy tips too, shall mull that lot over tonight if I get a chance to play. There's also some really cool superplays on the PSP version of all the games in the Best Collection so I'm going to put in some studying over the weekend and hopefully break the 500,000 mark!

safetyboy wrote: »
    Set up an ESPgaluda 2 challenge there for us Pyongyang. I just blast through :)

Alas my scores are feeble compared to others at this game. Although I have 1cc'd it in iPhone mode on my iPad with 2 different characters if that helps!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

qxjwqg.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Wasn't sure where to ask this shmup related question, in Blazing Star - what's the purpose of those little yellow winged orbs? Ones with the halo on top. Not sure what they do when you collect them, or should you leave them be? One of them turned orange/red after a while.

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Wasn't sure where to ask this shmup related question, in Blazing Star - what's the purpose of those little yellow winged orbs?

Alas I have no idea. Reason being my MVS cassette is either in Tokyo bouncing around in the back of a postal service van, or, it's somewhere about 30,000 miles up in the air heading towards Dublin right now.

Looking forward to finding out the answer though!

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Alas I have no idea. Reason being my MVS cassette is either in Tokyo bouncing around in the back of a postal service van, or, it's somewhere about 30,000 miles up in the air heading towards Dublin right now.

Looking forward to finding out the answer though!

Hah no worries. I reckon the o1s1n-meister knows the answer as he seems fairly clued up with that game. Although he's probably busy studying tactics right now to try and beat Mr. Ultimate's score. :pac:

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Although he's probably busy studying tactics right now to try and beat Mr. Ultimate's score. :pac:

As shall I be when I get home from work. :D

EDIT: Just to say y'all are spending your last fourteen seconds wrong ;)

I think I just sussed out what your cryptic message means. Let's not let o1s1n in on this. :D

481,500 on my first run. Rusty, though but I think my plan is working. :D

Master of the Universe

Those things in Blazing Star are 'rate up angels'. When you collect them your scoring rate increases. I think they act like a multiplier.

Still haven't come close to Johnny on this one. My current best stands at 451,500. Funnily enough, I tried out a stick and did worse :confused:

97ier9.png

[trashtalk] Getting a bit lonely up here at the top [/trashtalk]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭ondafly

Both games are in default ! both are 1CC

Ketsui
    143f0760.jpg

Mushihime Futari 1.5
    56541e0c.jpg

97ier9.png

[trashtalk] Getting a bit lonely up here at the top [/trashtalk]

Out of concern for fellow boardsie's being lonely, I gave this game a few goes tonight. Fun little shooter.

soldierblade1.jpg

Well done! What version are you playing? PC Engine? PSP? Emulated? Any tips or strategy ideas?

• Advertisement

PC Engine emulated via Magic Engine on the candy.

No real tips as such, just read over what you folks had mentioned earlier in the thread on how to get bonus points. I missed a few 1000 points on that 541k run though, it was a bit sloppy actually. Have a tactic to try out tonight maybe and see if it nets a few more points. Would love to hit 600k but that might be asking a bit much. ;)

Damn you Pyongyang for mentioning this game. It's addictive as hell trying to squeeze a few more points out of it. My best of the night is below. The annoying thing was my best score getting to the boss was 8k better than what I had when I set the below. ARGH! So my best of the night should have been 590k+ which makes me think I could hit 600k if I got lucky. :)

soldierbladenew.jpg

If you make it over the 600,000 mark I think you need to start recording your work and checking Twin Galaxies. I read somewhere that the highest possible score you can achieve in the game is 698,000. Not sure how true that is though. However your using an emulator which is probably against the rules I'm not sure.

Well done though on such a great score for an amazing little game. :)

Cheers dude. Ah it's just for personal satisfaction trying to reach 600k, great fun though. Are there other shmups with these caravan modes? And why are they called "caravan"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I gave this a quick blast last night, some might call it beginners luck I dunno

sqpimf.jpg

Hahahahahaha very good!

Although Magic & Illusion forum is that way --->

;)

Mr. Ultimate and his trash talk is noticeably absent, or else I just can't hear it from atop my lofty perch. :pac:

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    I gave this a quick blast last night, some might call it beginners luck I dunno

sqpimf.jpg

I can't believe you hacked into my pc and stole my new high score screenshot. I've been working on that all week :(

Andrew76 - 585,800??? Who do you think you are, feckin Billy Mitchell? :pac:

o1s1n wrote: »
    Andrew76 - 585,800??? Who do you think you are, feckin Billy Mitchell? :pac:

Hahah jayzus no, that chap has talent. I've only spent about 3 hrs over two nights so plenty yet to learn.

What scores are you folks hitting when you get to the the boss? Or are ye even playing it anymore? I need to be at 300k or just over to get a 550k+ score at the end. If it's less than 300 when getting to him then its just practice time.

Master of the Universe

I played a bit last night and I'm definitely doing something wrong on that boss.

I'm usually on around the 290,000-300,000 mark when I get to him.

After him I come out with anywhere between 430,000-480,000 on average. It feels very random. Although as I was saying to you, I was finishing him as quickly as I could. Got it down to 21 seconds after he's dead. That's probably where I'm going wrong so!

• Advertisement

Oooh ok then you're bang on my scores so. What you need to do is try and kill him just as the timer runs out. Don't bother trying to kill him quick as there's feck all scoring to be had after him.

It's a bit of a balancing act trying not to kill him quickly. When he's at the top of the screen stay at the bottom and directly underneath him. Your wide shots should not hit his wings (or not much) and you should just be killing those orbs he's releases. Mirror his movements left - middle - right - middle etc.
    When he comes down still stay underneath him but now your wide shots will get his wings and still kill those orbs. Again mirror his movements. After a few repeats of this one of the wings will be destroyed, you should be close to end of time now so take out the other wing and the the main part. If you time it right you should be hitting middle to late 500k or better.

Oh and I think those sounds you hear during the boss fight are just when you reach another 100k - so 300, 400 etc.

Advertisement