Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Shmup High Score thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Raiden DX (PS1) - Training Level - Arcade difficulty - 1,449,810

rdxps1trlvl.jpg

Not a particularly good score but almost got to the end of level boss (blue chap in the pic) which was far further than before. Ironically enough that second score in the list was my first attempt when I quit half way through after losing my first life. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Mr. 76, your Raiden skills know no bounds!*

*unlike ondafly who's Ketsui skills know bounds of about 12m. :D

Pyongyang wrote: »

Lol at the banter! :pac:
    Mad busy with work atm so Raiden/DX are the only games getting a look in, but after this month is out I reckon I'll spend some time with Ketsui and see how I get on. I'd just be happy to get to 10m... ;) :cool:
    Actually what excited me more than scores the last time I played it was getting past that fcuker on level two without using bombs. Can you remember if not using bombs counts towards your score even?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Raiden DX (PS1) - Training Level - Arcade difficulty - 1,449,810

Nice! You blew my attempt from last night out of the water, only got around the 600,000 mark.

Although I'll blame that on using a PS1 D pad. I literally could no longer feel my thumb around 300,000. I wish Luas Dub (it'll forever be Luas Dublin!)was there so he could witness the horror and pain of that piece of crap!

That training level is absolutely brilliant though. I'm off to ebay now to look for a Namco stick :)

Lol at the banter! :pac:
    Mad busy with work atm so Raiden/DX are the only games getting a look in, but after this month is out I reckon I'll spend some time with Ketsui and see how I get on. I'd just be happy to get to 10m... ;) :cool:
    Actually what excited me more than scores the last time I played it was getting past that fcuker on level two without using bombs. Can you remember if not using bombs counts towards your score even?

Yep, you get bonuses for 'no bomb' clears. Its not even worth a suicide bomb to get 3 more as you'll score nothing if you lose your original 3.

I just noticed by the way I've been playing the game on Very Hard. Is that the default difficulty? Probably why its so brutal! (Not as brutal as ondaflys scores though. :D

I can clear stage 1 and 2 with no bombs. Stage 3 the difficulty just ramps up ten fold.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Nice! You blew my attempt from last night out of the water, only got around the 600,000 mark.

Although I'll blame that on using a PS1 D pad. I literally could no longer feel my thumb around 300,000. I wish Luas Dub (it'll forever be Luas Dublin!)was there so he could witness the horror and pain of that piece of crap!

That training level is absolutely brilliant though. I'm off to ebay now to look for a Namco stick :)

Don't know how you get any kind of score with a D-pad! :eek:
    That 600k isn't bad I reckon assuming you didn't get any of the Golden Pyramids? I'm only able to get 2 of them regularly, think there's 8 in total on that level. I'll PM you a link to the chap I got mine off, he had 2 for sale at the time so maybe has one left.

Nice couple of bits arrived this morning so might try throw some pics up at lunchtime. :)

@Pyongyang: Unless you changed the difficulty then I'm guessing that's the default for Arcade mode, maybe it matches the PCB? That x-mode is silly easy in comparison to be fair.

Master of the Universe

Don't know how you get any kind of score with a D-pad! :eek:
    That 600k isn't bad I reckon assuming you didn't get any of the Golden Pyramids? I'm only able to get 2 of them regularly, think there's 8 in total on that level. I'll PM you a link to the chap I got mine off, he had 2 for sale at the time so maybe has one left. .

I think I remember you mentioning something about golden pyramids to me when you first got the superplay? I'll have to look into that, do they boost your score a good bit more?

I've sent that lad a pm anyway. Also looking to put one of those cthulhu boards in my broken Saturn stick. You can run multiple console controllers out of them. So if he doesn't have a Namco stick left there's still that option.

I think I remember you mentioning something about golden pyramids to me when you first got the superplay? I'll have to look into that, do they boost your score a good bit more?

Massively boost it. There's one very near the start, without getting it your score is probably around 2k or 3k, but getting it jumps you to 220k!! Sent you a link to the ST. :cool:
    I've sent that lad a pm anyway. Also looking to put one of those cthulhu boards in my broken Saturn stick. You can run multiple console controllers out of them. So if he doesn't have a Namco stick left there's still that option.

Nice one, I've heard them mentioned a bit but never seen one in the flesh. You really do need a stick of some kind for playing these shmups.

Couple more goes tonight and a slight improvement, got to the end of level boss though which was cool. Killed me which then killed him.

Raiden DX (PS1) - Training Level - Arcade difficulty - 1,576,030

phPbz.jpg

Your turn o1s1n. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭ondafly

Ketsui X-Mode - Crown reclaimed :pac:

fd9dd4e0.jpg

• Advertisement

ondafly wrote: »
    Ketsui X-Mode

X-MODE?

tumblr_lnztim8r2Y1qbrc3e.gif
    ondafly wrote: »
    well said Andy - X mode is far too easy

:pac:

I'll be back!

Oh, hang on a sec, you got 88m on Stage 4 and I did it on Stage 3. So your score is nullified by taking an extra stage to get to beat it. :D

I'm playing V-V this week in the STGT'12 tournament. My best score so far:

k7At5.png

Master of the Universe

Nice game that, never heard of it before. It's in my MAME romset as 'Grind Stormer'

The Mega Drive version commands a hefty price unfortunately. I'd love the PCB, I played it in Mikado, bloody brilliant game.

Bettered my score tonight, getting seriously addicted to this game!

272860 - 32%

NOs1M.png

I can NO MISS / PERFECT stage 1 every time now and almost every time on stage 2. LOVE this game.

I'll call it a night at that. :)

EDIT: @o1s1n - Mind that USA ROM set. The game has the different name in the USA and it also is a 'sort of' different game. Play the Japanese board for the proper game. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

What version of Mame are you using , I get no sound on shmup mame MameUI32_0.140u2 with V-Five :mad:

I'm using ShmupMAME 2.2. It has no sound unfortunately, neither does Vimana.

However, the sound works on latest builds of MAME apparently? I couldn't be bothered, time is limited until the next game in STGT'12. I just put on some Model 500 and Dave Angel and get practicing! :)

I really got in to it last night, always loved the game but love it even more now. Definitely hunting a PCB now.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

I just put on some Model 500 and Dave Angel and get practicing!

Very nice music selection good sir

Very nice music selection good sir

Thanks, I collect techno albums and singles alongside SHMUPS, the two go hand in hand I think. :)

55th so far this week! 102nd overall so far (considering I didn't submit a score last week). Quite pleased with that!

http://dex.thps3.net/stgt12/stgt-results.pl#stat

Our team is 20th overall! Is anyone else here in STGT'12?

Our team is 20th overall! Is anyone else here in STGT'12?

Presume there's more than 20 teams in it? :P

• Advertisement

Presume there's more than 20 teams in it? :P

Pfft! Shuddup you! :)

Beat my previous best with 310,070 but could have done a lot better. I wasted the 300k extend and didn't milk the 3rd round early enough.

Ah well, that's V-V done, next week... Salmonhamburger 2?

vUrbF.png

Sucks V-V week is over, I was really enjoying that game. Finished top of our team though! :D

Salmonhamburger 2 is annoying. MAME seems to hate it too. For anyone wanting to run it, I just threw together MAME v0.98 with EasyMAME. Seems to run fine but button mapping is awful even with Joy2Key.

Sooner week 3 of STGT'12 is over the better... :(

...Finished top of our team though! :D

Presume there's more than 1 in your team? :P

Presume there's more than 1 in your team? :P

Cheers... GIT. :p

dr-hook-walk-right-in-front-cover-64872.jpg

Why aren't you in STGT anyway? What's wrong... chicken? :D

Biff.jpg

Why aren't you in STGT anyway? What's wrong... chicken? :D

Never heard of it until you mentioned it (what do the initials even stand for, Shoot That Green Thing?), haven't been on shmups in ages. Ah wouldn't have enough time to play the games tbh (nor faffing about with shmupmame and all that lark).

Bored of Salmonhamburger 2. Playing Progear instead. :)

M0ZFa.png

Decided to crack one off open my minty copy of Game Tengoku tonight. Normal Mode is excellent, but Time Attack is where this game excels for me (must be love of Caravan games).

Got practising tonight and this score is the best I could muster:

5OdWH.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

I know its probably been tried before but what do you's think of nominating (poll) a game a week and we post our best score's? Something that we can all at least emulate.

Taught's? :confused:

• Advertisement

Hey, i have a high scores question. Sorry if this has already been done or has been been posted elsewhere already.

Has anybody tried storing & sharing high score files (for an emulator like mame for example) on a cloud somewhere? It just occurs to me that a retro game community could set up a community dropbox acount and stick the hiscore.dat save files in the public folder. They could then point their individual emulators at it instead of a local path, once they had net access on the PC in question.

Is this even feasible? Am i miles behind here & it's already been done? It would be cool to be able to get a bit of high score competition going in A&R, and windows sees dropbox as a local folder, even though it isn't one, so assigning a shared directory for multiple machines should be easy.

Advertisement