Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Shmup High Score thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

To make it doubly hard, the cabs are using substandard Happ or Happ-KNOCKOFFS.
    Well, at least the buttons spring back! :pac:

The cab also has SF II New Challengers but (a) kids these days grew up on SFIV, and their fundamentals will be horrid, and (b) the sticks are so imprecise I can't even SRK on command!

But at least the cab's set up cheap -- 20c for 3 credits :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Had a bit more success with Raiden tonight, getting a higher success rate of clearing the level 1 bosses with the slow kill method. Even managed to top the superplay score for level 1 by a massive 240! :eek:
    Ah I'm only using the superplay for tips to improve my own score rather than trying to beat it, that will never happen over a full loop - a point proven when I got shot in the back at the end of level 2. :o

Superplay:

lvl1splay130090.jpg

Mine:

lvl1130330.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Nice work there Andrew76. Goes to show how useful Superplay videos can be. Congratulations on topping the stage 1 score. Now go for the full loop!

Another productive night of Raiden playing. This time on the PCB via supergun & tated Trini. My previous best was 595,090; new score is 786,760 and a new level reached 1-5. Get in! :D
    Have the first two levels fairly well sorted now but if I lose a life in either then it's instant reset.

raidenhighscore786760.jpg

Got my glitched XBOX 360 Slim up and running tonight, here's a Ketsui score for ye to get us going. :D

ZdS9f.jpg

• Advertisement

Lol very nice score there. I know someone who'll be choking on their cornflakes when they see that! :pac:

/Edit: I take it that's Arcade mode?

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Lol very nice score there. I know someone who'll be choking on their cornflakes when they see that! :pac:

HAHA! I'm not sure if it's valid though as I don't know what version I played before.

To make absolutely sure, it's in Extra mode (I much prefer this to Arcade mode, it's more 'interesting', keeps me on my toes! :D) on Normal difficulty.

Going to keep practising and try and master Extra mode before increasing the difficulty.

Love this game though, that's for sure. At least the game doesn't sit on my shelf gathering dust now. Well, that's not strictly true as it's installed on my HDD now. :pac:

Never played Extra actually. Fairly sure it was Arcade you played before, I had to ask though as jumping from 11mil to 46 in one night would be some achievement! Quality game whatever the mode though. :)

I've switched my cp controls back to 360 so might try and give Ketsui some love for a while.

I've switched my cp controls back to 360 so might try and give Ketsui some love for a while.

Best get cracking on Extra mode then! :D

I'm done for the night. Ros na Run omnibus is starting on TG4 and I never miss it so that's me done for the night. No I'm not ashamed to admit my RnR obsession. LOVE that show!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Pyongyang wrote: »
    I'm done for the night. Ros na Run omnibus is starting on TG4 and I never miss it so that's me done for the night. No I'm not ashamed to admit my RnR obsession. LOVE that show!

People actually watch Ros na Run?!

Consider me amazed. The only thing less appealing for me than a soap opera is an Irish soap opera :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Ros na Rún is so bad it's good. Not in a Fair City way though. Ros na Rún actually knows how awful it is and plays to it :P

On Topic, here's my high score from DDP. I imagine it's a bit crap but hell I was proud :D

Gmhwr.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭ondafly

Ketsui Arcade
    photo-4.jpg

Ketsui Extra :pac:
    photo1.jpg

To make absolutely sure, it's in Extra mode (I much prefer this to Arcade mode, it's more 'interesting', keeps me on my toes! :D) on Normal difficulty.

as in its way easier !

ondafly wrote: »

as in its way easier !

I beg to differ sir! I prefer the bullet dodging of Extra to the Arcade mode.

I'll chase those scores of yours down yet! DING! DING! Seconds out, round one! :D

Andrew76 wanted a ding dong battle, it took me all night to get there, but here, take this ondafly! Consider my velour gloves thrown to the ground and my Easter bonnet well and truly tipped!

Not fair? Neither's Frank Bruno's arse so let's go! :D

Rc5Wr.jpg

Nice! That score board has me puzzled though, you switched to the Panzer and the only score good enough to make it was 25mil better than the previous best? And where did that 42,117,688 score go to?

How does it play compared to Arcade mode, scoring totally different or something? Not sure my brain could take another scoring mechanism to learn. :o

I'm still sussing the scoring out myself. I think I have it now though, it's an odd mode. It's sort of DoDonpachi-ish but there's subtle differences. The chaining is there but it's more than just chaining. You need to keep that counter up though. I've got it to 9999 tonight. I think that's as high as it goes in this mode.

I'm itching to learn from a Ketsui superplay now!

I prefer X-Mode. I think it's tougher than the Arcade mode but mainly I prefer it because there's more going on, lots to dodge and I think I have the scoring worked out. :)

Oh, and I prefer the purple ship. It feels faster but the firing pattern is narrow rather than wide.

And where did that 42,117,688 score go to?

I don't know how to save the scores. :(

I copied the game to my HDD but I have no idea how to save them for next time I play. Any ideas?

I don't know how to save the scores. :(

I copied the game to my HDD but I have no idea how to save them for next time I play. Any ideas?

Trying to remember as I can't get to it right now, does it ask you for the storage unit when the game starts? Or is it an in game setting that lets you turn on Auto-Save or something like that. I've only played Arcade mode but there's defo auto-save there as I'm greeted by my lowly 6mil score each time I load it. :D

• Advertisement

Yeah it makes a note at the start but it's in Japanese so I've no idea what I'm selecting.

Kinda sucks because I wanted ondafly to see this. :D

WAb4L.jpg

Yeah it makes a note at the start but it's in Japanese so I've no idea what I'm selecting.

Will lash it on later and see how it works. Lol @ the banter, excellent. :D

What stick are you using btw? Presume it's not a 360 pad anyway. :eek:

Just the Hori EX2. It's doing the job but I'd rather be using the Namco or an LS-56.

It's alright, my score will probably be blown out the water soon enough......... by ME. :D

If ondafly isn't in for work tomorrow, or is drinking lots of espresso and Jolt, we know he was up all night trying to beat my score. :D

Turned on the game and there's an auto-save feature in Config - Data from the main menu. Once that's on then your scores should be saved, menu is all in English too which is handy.

That x-mode wouldn't be my cup of tea at all I'm afraid, I had two goes and hit 57mil and I haven't a clue what I'm doing, way easier than Arcade mode. I can't remember if its the same in Arcade but there's something unnatural about all the bullets disappearing when you kill an enemy, maybe I'm too old school with my shooters. I shall leave yee two to battle away at that mode. :cool:

well said Andy - X mode is far too easy, I got further on 1CC on my first ever game, than I ever did with normal mode. I plan on beating the scores though, none the less :D this is what its all about !

That's the spirit! Get those scores in! :D

So close!

uIbJR.jpg

Before I post the following, allow me to post my victory dance! :D

Oqh7V.jpg

Finally :) I'll dust off the cab next week and tackle that score ! And scored via lvl 2 also. Was a 3rd party present to confirm no cheating ;)

• Advertisement

This is ondafly:

einstein.jpeg

This is me:

128847192349907438.jpg

c6B8V.jpg

:D:D:D

Advertisement