Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MAME shared high scores

Options
  • 04-04-2011 6:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭

mame.png

I don't think anyone has really set this up here so just wondering if anyone is interested in using a shared high score folder in MAME.

We can use dropbox as its easy to setup the share that way.

I've tested this over the last couple days with 4 other people and it seems to work fine across multiple machines, even when writing to the same file at the same time. We can all see each others high scores and also try to beat them, which is the whole point I guess :)

Basically you download the dropbox app(Windows,Mac or Linux) and install and setup your account with the details we provide. Then you set MAME to look for the high scores in a sub folder of the dropbox folder(this is easy to do, will post a short guide for different MAME versions if we get any interest).
    So when this is setup properly we can all play whatever game we like in MAME and when we get a new score dropbox will update the file on the server and then update the files on everyones computer when they are online(all done in the background).

It might take a little bit of tweaking to get this to work perfectly but I reckon it would be worth it.

This should work fine across different versions of MAME on different systems so we don't all need to be running the same version of MAME.
    It would also be easy to create an online list of top scores/players for bragging rights etc.

Anyway, if anyone is interested let me know and we can set this up fairly quickly and start playing/testing it out.

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Sounds cool, i only got the highscores working locally, with your help, the last few days. but would be interested in this alright when i have the cab finished. at the minute my pc inards are sitting on a chopping board on my kitchen table. I think its a good idea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I'd also be interested.
    Must fire up Mame and check my version etc.

What do you need to do to get MAME to store highscores (IIFC I had installed a different flavour of MAME for this to work) ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Have a read of this thread from about half way down, some help on finding out how to save scores in it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056204085&page=4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Is this still going ? I'd be interested in saving my high scores to a dropbox share.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

yea we should deffo get this up and running if its not still going?

• Advertisement
Advertisement