Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New UPC 100mb Thomson TWG870UIR Router

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

vibe666 wrote: »
    i haven't had that exact issue, but (once you're connected directly to their modem/router via cable and it's still happening) all those kinds of issues will need to be troubleshooted (troubleshot?) by a UPC engineer. pretty much all you can do from your end is power cycle it and if that doesn't fix it, they'll most likely need to do checks on the line and/or send out an engineer, so it's best to get onto them as quickly as possible to get things moving.

i had intermittent issues for several months with my phone and broadband cutting out, but i just kept on to them and they kept discounting me during the time when it wasn't fixed and eventually it got fixed.

now i've got rock solid 100mbps broadband which i wouldn't have had if i'd given up and gone with another provider and i couldn't be happier (touch wood). :)

Thanks for responses.

UPC have been & gone on this issue. Apparently as I use the phone (VOIP) a lot, & as its not designed for hour long calls at a time, the line can drop from time to time - its not a phoneline, its VOIP, after all. When the VOIP drops, the Thomson router resets itself, which brings the broadband down with it, naturally. When the reset is finished, both come back after 2 mins, which is in fairness what I am seeing. Apparently all indicators on the line are fine, & to be fair, I'm getting 86+ on download from Speedtest.net, & 8-10 on upload.

I'll keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭dunworth1

ok guys i have pretty much had this problem since i got the modem three weeks ago but it has been on and off

when i am using the net sometime the loading speed would take 5-10 min for a page to load then a few min later be fine again it used to only happen every so ofen
    but its getting worse and now the modem keeps resetting itself every now and again and it looses any settings i put on like the admin password etc..

i have rang upc three times about this issue and intend to ring again on Monday all they have done in the past is change the wireless channel which i think helps for a while but it could be just that the modem reboots.

i didnt have this problem before i go the thomson modem so i doubt its a problem with my pc or there being wireless interference.

i went into the error log just now on the modem and there are quite a few errors see attached image.

anyone have any ideas or have a similar problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

dunworth1 wrote: »
    ok guys i have pretty much had this problem since i got the modem three weeks ago but it has been on and off

when i am using the net sometime the loading speed would take 5-10 min for a page to load then a few min later be fine again it used to only happen every so ofen
    but its getting worse and now the modem keeps resetting itself every now and again and it looses any settings i put on like the admin password etc..

i have rang upc three times about this issue and intend to ring again on Monday all they have done in the past is change the wireless channel which i think helps for a while but it could be just that the modem reboots.

i didnt have this problem before i go the thomson modem so i doubt its a problem with my pc or there being wireless interference.

i went into the error log just now on the modem and there are quite a few errors see attached image.

anyone have any ideas or have a similar problem.

That entry on your snmp event log about the map reject - Not aothurised for downstream traffic! is the same response i got when my router hadn't properly provisioned. But seeing as you have had the connection already work, Then that can't really be it.

Can you check what firmware you have.

http://192.168.100.1/HardwareInfo.asp There is a link to check it, Post a screenshot of that.

The first Thomson router i got off them couldn't update the firmware, Which in turn made the speed crap, They replaced it with and another(Manufactured 2 months before the one I originally got) and that one worked perfectly, Updated twice when i got, Once straight away, And then again when it provisioned fully.

here the screenshot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

dunworth1 wrote: »
    here the screenshot

So you have the new firmware, which means your modem/router updated fine when you got it.

I would ring upc one more time. Tell them you wont be paying until this problem is fixed. I would still suggest a new router.

If the problem is something to do with the provising pf the modem, A new one will reset that mac address. It's worth a shot.

• Advertisement

Thor wrote: »
    So you have the new firmware, which means your modem/router updated fine when you got it.

I would ring upc one more time. Tell them you wont be paying until this problem is fixed. I would still suggest a new router.

If the problem is something to do with the provising pf the modem, A new one will reset that mac address. It's worth a shot.

apparently one of my downstream channels is out of range.
    have an engineer booked for Wednesday.

will update then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

you wont get decent speeds over wireless...ethernet cable is the only way to go

Has anyone had any issues with the Thomson router resetting itself to the way it was when UPC gave it to you???

I had changed the SSID to something of my own and changed all the wireless setting to my own spec....Had my own network address instead of 192.168.x.x.

All my port forwarding rules set up etc...

The router reset itself yesterday and all my setting are gone..
    Was wondering when none of my wifi devices would connect this morning.....

They need to get the finger out and sort out a standalone modem/bridge that allows you to use any router you want on their network.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

They need to get the finger out and sort out a standalone modem/bridge that allows you to use any router you want on their network.
    Definitely. I want to move to a higher speed package, but I'm sticking with 20 Mbps because I don't want to lose the EPC2203.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Thor wrote: »
    Make sure to turn on DMZ on the thomson modem and point it to the Airport extreme router.

That way the net will be completely open to the airport router and you wont have to worry about the Thomson interfering with ports and stuff!!

Just got the UPC kit installed and setting up a DMZ 'bridge' on the Thomson.
    I've referred to Roast's DMZ instruction at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71665694&postcount=452

but I'm confused about a couple of things with my settings:

Thomson - Airport Extreme router.

Thomson IP address - 192.168.0.1
    subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
    Thomson DMZ Address - 192.168.0.2
    DHCP range - 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.254

Airport set to share a public IP address
    under TCP/IP configuration, I've got an IP address field, and a router address field. I'm unclear which of these is supposed to be set to 192.168.0.2.
    subnet mask - 255.255.255.0

DHCP on the airport is set to a range of 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.199

I've been faffing about with various manual IP addresses in both IP and router fields without success (intenet connectivity), and I've a consistent double NAT error being flagged on the airport, even with configuring using DHCP - but I've internet access regardless. I've no settings checked in the NAT host,port mappings, or enable NAT port mapping protocol.

Anyone able to wipe my eyes clean here?

edit: For what it's worth - setting the Airport's IP address to an IP within the Thomson's DHCP pool works - I'm using 192.168.0.11 (set manually, and with the router address set to 192.168.0.1) at the moment and have internet access - but I suspect there's no DMZ in effect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

you can do it this way too and not bother with IP ranges - just add to dmz and turn of dhcp on thomson

you can do it this way too and not bother with IP ranges - just add to dmz and turn of dhcp on thomson

Cheers - so I...

Set 192.168.0.11 as the DMZ

Then the airport's DHCP pool settings don't matter?

let me give that a shot.

Edit - nope - that didn't work - when I moved the DHCP pool into the 10.0.1. territory I lost internet connectivity and the LAN fell down too. Restarted the airport etc, but it just wouldn't stick. Back to 'configure IPv4 using DHCP, IP address 192.168.0.11, Router address 192.168. 0.1, and DHCP pool in the 192.168.1.2 - 200 camp. DMZ set to 192.160.0.11.

ok I've just connected the patch cable between airport and thomson and factory reset both.

few mins later

logged into airport, made no changes. was told double nat in place and to change wireless security.

logged into thomson, removed dhcp, added the ip address of the airport 192.168.0.11 to the dmz, saved and restarted both devices.
    got green light on airport.

my computers are now in the range 10.0.1.1 and above without any effort/tweeking.

turned off wireless on thomson and configged the airport wireless to broadcast 5 and 2.4ghz so the iPhone will pick it up on the 2.4 range. all fine (and easy)

Will try turning off dhcp on the Thomson later. Happy enough as it stands - IP cameras are working, as is dyndns for the same - the double NAT problem doesn't seems to be actually impacting on anything that I can tell.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 burt

Jonathan wrote: »
    Oooh. I like the sound of that. Did you hear that from a technician?

If moving to 50 Mbps, do they make you change to the TWG870UIR or if you ask them nicely, will they let you stick with your EPC2203 knowing you are unlikely to ever get 50 Mbps?

A firmware update will be available in the next couple of weeks that will allow bridging. Source: @UPC_HelpsYou_IE

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

burt wrote: »
    A firmware update will be available in the next couple of weeks that will allow bridging. Source: @UPC_HelpsYou_IE
    Fantastic. :D

burt wrote: »

Bout frickin time....
    Does that mean the thomson will act just like the epc2203 did...and your own router will get a WAN ip from upc??

• Advertisement

Bout frickin time....
    Does that mean the thomson will act just like the epc2203 did...and your own router will get a WAN ip from upc??

hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it won't be a very good bridge if it doesn't. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rez

Great news! Hopefully they come through with this firmware that allows bridging, come on UPC!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Paul007

Sounds promising, but would you still be able to use the phone service with bridging enabled?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Guys, is this Thomson stable enough to run as a modem only?

I've mine setup as such and few problems. Add your router to the DMZ and should be ok.
    Also I spoke to a mate who works in UPC and they said they are UNAWARE of any firmware update coming soon to allow bridging on the thomson gateway. Perhaps the tech agents on the phones are just fobbing callers off with this "solution" or perhaps tech agents are just wishing a firmware update into existance

https://twitter.com/#!/UPC_HelpsYou_IE/status/113557372550660096
    frlinux @UPC_HelpsYou_IE Hello Guys, is there any news on allowing bridging on the Thomson TW870? This is the only reason I didnt upgrade yet :)

@UPC_HelpsYou_IE @frlinux - Hi there. No update as yet unfortunately. I'll get back to you as soon as I hear anything further though... Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Still contemplating whether upgrading from 30Mbps to 50Mbps for extra 3 euros per month worth the hassle (if any). The current EPC2203 modem i have is brilliant piece of hardware, no trouble so far.

I assume 50Mbps won't be fully utilised on wireless N network?

MartMax wrote: »
    Still contemplating whether upgrading from 30Mbps to 50Mbps for extra 3 euros per month worth the hassle (if any). The current EPC2203 modem i have is brilliant piece of hardware, no trouble so far.

why would it not be? My wireless N syncs at 89meg - cable at 102meg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

MartMax wrote: »

My laptop can connect to a wifiN router at 150 Mbps

Advertisement