Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New UPC 100mb Thomson TWG870UIR Router

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ger101

vibe666 wrote: »
    what sort of phone are you using, did you get one from them or is it your own?

if it's a really old dect wireless one it might not work (mine, which were about 7-8 years old didn't). i was told that it was something to do with them not being compatible with a digital phoneline, although i never had it confirmed. upc gave me 2 newer (but not very good) dect phones and they worked fine just by plugging the main one into the modem, so i've just been using them ever since.
    It's my own one and it's not a dect phone either, but an old corded one. Should I get my own dect phone, or should I ask UPC for one? Also, do they charge for calls like, for example, Eircom does?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

ger101 wrote: »
    It's my own one and it's not a dect phone either, but an old corded one. Should I get my own dect phone, or should I ask UPC for one? Also, do they charge for calls like, for example, Eircom does?
    Are you sure you plugged it into the correct RJ-11 jack? They are not linked, and represent different phonelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sudsy86

Still haven't been able to get my iPhone and PSP to connect to the router. Does anyone have any idea as to why they're not connecting? I know for a fact that it's the router because both the iPhone and the PSP could connect to the router I had when I used Eircom with no problems.

Tried that and I'm still getting NAT Type 2. Yeah, I gave the PS3 a static IP.

EDIT: God, I'm STUPID!!!! So goddamn stupid! Turns out that the feckin password is case sensitive!! The iPhone and PSP are now connected. Still need to get NAT Type 1 on the PS3, though.

BTW, does the router have a dynamic IP?

Nat 1 = Cable or DSL router with cable connect, No NAT
    Nat 2 = Cable router or DSL Router with cable connected/wireless 1 NAT
    Nat 3 = More than 1 NAT service is controlling this connection

The more NATs ur have controlling the connection the worse te connection is...unless ur using a cable modem or DSL modem directly connected with the cable ur not gonna get a NAT 1...

Jonathan wrote: »
    Are you sure you plugged it into the correct RJ-11 jack? They are not linked, and represent different phonelines.
    Yeah, I had it in the right one. Got a dect phone from a friend this morning and it works great, so all is grand now.

Sudsy86 wrote: »
    Nat 1 = Cable or DSL router with cable connect, No NAT
    Nat 2 = Cable router or DSL Router with cable connected/wireless 1 NAT
    Nat 3 = More than 1 NAT service is controlling this connection

The more NATs ur have controlling the connection the worse te connection is...unless ur using a cable modem or DSL modem directly connected with the cable ur not gonna get a NAT 1...
    Well that's really, really weird. I got NAT Type 1 over wireless with one of Eircom's routers (Can't remember the name of it, but it was a big black & grey thing) by using a guide/tutorial (Which didn't work with their ZyXEL router and, now, this Thomson one) on one of the Playstation forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Can anyone confirm if I understand this correctly?

I'm thinking of moving to UPC (Currently with Smart but my copper line won't handle anything higher than 8meg & other than that I was happy enough with the service).

I'm trying to understand the best equipment for UPC's different speed offerings?

Is this the general consensus?

25 - 30 meg, try to get the Motorola with netgear wireless router?

50 - 100meg, try to get the Thompson and use my own wireless router?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

I'm trying to understand the best equipment for UPC's different speed offerings?

Is this the general consensus?

25 - 30 meg, try to get the Motorola with netgear wireless router?

50 - 100meg, try to get the Thompson and use my own wireless router?

THe older service supplied a Cisco/Scientific Atlanta 2203 which you used your own router with.

With the 25-30 they supply the Cisco 2245 router which makes it difficult, but not impossible, to use your own router.
    Same with the Thompson for the higher speeds.

Lots of posts here on how to set these router combos up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I imagine they will be handing out only the Thomson router for all packages from here on out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I imagine they will be handing out only the Thomson router for all packages from here on out

ya i'd say so its easier for them if everyone is using the same euipement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

So, if the Thompson is going to be the standard issue regardless of package? would one be best to accept that and run with this post?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I moved from smart too as my line would only support 5 megs and UPC were cheaper. I requested and got the scientific Atlanta for the 20 Meg (now 25 Meg) service. Added my own router (wrt54g running tomato firmware) and so far very pleased. I've come close to upgrading to 50 megs but changed my mind and cancelled the Thompson delivery. I realized that I don't actually need the extra speed and didn't want to ruin a very stable setup. It might be different if there's lots of people in your housing using the connection simultaneously. So in short my advice would be to go with the scientific Atlanta & your own router and see how you get on - you can always upgrade later. Bearing in mind too that from September the higher 500 gig/month cap applies to all speeds and not just the 100 Meg package. 

Also UPC might do a firmware upgrade on the Thomoson at some point in the future that would stop you using your own router. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭dre_jspeed

My thomon router started acting up last week be rebooting itself for no risen. So I rang UPC last Wednesday and be Saturday morning they had replaced it with a new one.
    All was could until last night when in the space of 40 minutes it had rebooted itself 4 times. So i rang UPC again, I am still waiting on them to ring me back.
    Anyone Have any ideas on what I could do at my end?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

dre_jspeed wrote: »
    My thomon router started acting up last week be rebooting itself for no risen. So I rang UPC last Wednesday and be Saturday morning they had replaced it with a new one.
    All was could until last night when in the space of 40 minutes it had rebooted itself 4 times. So i rang UPC again, I am still waiting on them to ring me back.
    Anyone Have any ideas on what I could do at my end?

A broken power socket. Stick some surge protectors on the modem.

Does anyone know how to set up a dynamic IP on the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

The WAN IP is dynamic. (But rarely changes).
    Internal IP's are dealt with by DHCP which is enabled by default on the modem. Unless, of course, your PC's are set with static IP's, the router will automatically assign one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

is it not already dynamic?

roast wrote: »
    The WAN IP is dynamic. (But rarely changes).
    Internal IP's are dealt with by DHCP which is enabled by default on the modem. Unless, of course, your PC's are set with static IP's, the router will automatically assign one.
    How do I find out if my PC has a static IP?

EDIT:
    is it not already dynamic?
    It doesn't seem like it. Tried resetting the router and I still have the same IP address (If it was dynamic, it'd change when the router was reset).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

UPC addresses rarely change. Dynamic, but very sticky. It may take leaving the router off for hours (or maybe days) before the IP changes.

How do I find out if my PC has a static IP?

EDIT:

It doesn't seem like it. Tried resetting the router and I still have the same IP address (If it was dynamic, it'd change when the router was reset).

Can you clarify if you mean an internal IP, such as a PC on the network, or the external IP of the modem (being the "internet" address of the modem)?

If it's external, IP's rarely change on the UPC network. In the past three years, my IP has only changed 5 times or so.

jor el wrote: »
    UPC addresses rarely change. Dynamic, but very sticky. It may take leaving the router off for hours (or maybe days) before the IP changes.
    Ah, I see.
    Can you clarify if you mean an internal IP, such as a PC on the network, or the external IP of the modem (being the "internet" address of the modem)?

If it's external, IP's rarely change on the UPC network. In the past three years, my IP has only changed 5 times or so.
    Oh, sorry, I meant an external IP.

Basically, what's going on is that I'm downloading anime from Rapidshare. After about two or three downloads I have to wait 30 minutes to download another episode. Then, when that download finishes, I have to wait another 30 mins before I can download yet another episode. It's horrible because sometimes there'd be 24 episodes and they'd take ages to download!

Also, bear in mind that I'm coming from Eircom. I've been using their routers for so long that I've gotten used to them and I assumed UPC's one would be more or less the same. Hence me resetting the thing to change IPs and trying to get NAT Type 1 on the PS3, etc.

I guess I'll just have to deal with the differences, lol! Thanks for the info anyway, lads.

Ah, I see.

Oh, sorry, I meant an external IP.

Basically, what's going on is that I'm downloading anime from Rapidshare. After about two or three downloads I have to wait 30 minutes to download another episode. Then, when that download finishes, I have to wait another 30 mins before I can download yet another episode. It's horrible because sometimes there'd be 24 episodes and they'd take ages to download!

Also, bear in mind that I'm coming from Eircom. I've been using their routers for so long that I've gotten used to them and I assumed UPC's one would be more or less the same. Hence me resetting the thing to change IPs and trying to get NAT Type 1 on the PS3, etc.

I guess I'll just have to deal with the differences, lol! Thanks for the info anyway, lads.

Ahh, the old illegal-downloading-and-still-too-cheap-to-pay-for-filesharing dilemma. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ahh, the old illegal-downloading-and-still-too-cheap-to-pay-for-filesharing dilemma. :rolleyes:
    To be honest, I'd buy that premium Rapidshare thing if it wasn't such a waste of money.

Also, I don't see how downloading fan-translated episodes of shows that have aired in Japan the day before is in any way illegal. By that logic, streaming said shows while they're airing (Which I've tried and can't do for some odd reason) would be considered illegal as well, right?

Hell, Ireland/UK get shafted in terms of anime releases! Nearly all of the good shows have never gotten released over here, so myself (And many others, I'd say) have to resort to fan translated stuff which is only available on the 'net.

To be honest, I'd buy that premium Rapidshare thing if it wasn't such a waste of money.

Also, I don't see how downloading fan-translated episodes of shows that have aired in Japan the day before is in any way illegal. By that logic, streaming said shows while they're airing (Which I've tried and can't do for some odd reason) would be considered illegal as well, right?

Hell, Ireland/UK get shafted in terms of anime releases! Nearly all of the good shows have never gotten released over here, so myself (And many others, I'd say) have to resort to fan translated stuff which is only available on the 'net.

I understand your frustration, I really do.

I'd rather not stray off topic, but I just want to clarify something. (Illegal downloading, or the discussion of such is a pretty sketchy topic here y'see)
    For it's intended use, rapidshare is good value.
    Regardless of whether its fair or not, its still illegal downloading. Streaming from the right source is fine because of licencing policies that that particular website owns, for the right of distribution in particular countries. Its just like if you go to somewhere like amsterdam - you can buy your drugs, but its still illegal to bring it back here and use it.

Ethically, its wrong, legally, its not.
    Hope I explained myself correctly, and that's all I'll say on the subject. This forum doesn't permit the discussion of illegal downloading and how to circumvent it.

I understand your frustration, I really do.

I'd rather not stray off topic, but I just want to clarify something. (Illegal downloading, or the discussion of such is a pretty sketchy topic here y'see)
    Yeah, I was deciding whether or not to explain why I wanted a dynamic IP before I posted that. I decided to do it anyway.
    For it's intended use, rapidshare is good value.
    Ah, I meant in terms of download speed. It's the same speed free users get, but paid users get more storage space for uploads or something like that.
    Regardless of whether its fair or not, its still illegal downloading. Streaming from the right source is fine because of licencing policies that that particular website owns, for the right of distribution in particular countries. Its just like if you go to somewhere like amsterdam - you can buy your drugs, but its still illegal to bring it back here and use it.

Ethically, its wrong, legally, its not.
    Hope I explained myself correctly, and that's all I'll say on the subject. This forum doesn't permit the discussion of illegal downloading and how to circumvent it.
    Yeah, I see what you mean. There are a few streaming sites that are legal, Crunchyroll being the more popular one. But that has never worked for me for some reason, hence why I download.

Anyway, yeah I agree, this has gotten way off topic, so I'll leave it at that, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

UPC are sending us out a new modem to upgrade to 50mb so presumably it will be this Thomson?

Does anyone know if it will work straight out of the box or will it take UPC a few hours to provision it?

Cheers!

UPC are sending us out a new modem to upgrade to 50mb so presumably it will be this Thomson?

Does anyone know if it will work straight out of the box or will it take UPC a few hours to provision it?

Cheers!

It would be the Thomson. In most cases, the modem would already be provisioned on the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

This router is driving me insane. Everytime I power on a second device - be it wireless or cabled the damn thing reboots and its about 3-5 minutes before either machine can get back on to the internet. Is anyone else experiencing this?, seems like I got a lemon.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

I have 100mbs fibre power bb, installed about 3 weeks ago. White Thomson router TWG870

At least once a day everything goes down - phone, broadband etc, & stays down for about 4 mins.

I know its back when the phone rings ! Nobody there when I pick it up, but the phoneline's back, as is the broadband !

UPC are coming round next week to look at it.

Anyone else experience this ? Any resolution ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Unless the editor had permission to this, from the copyright owner, then it would be illegal of them to upload it and for you to download it. Streaming is often blocked by region, for reasons of broadcast rights.

No more discussion of illegal downloads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

banchang wrote: »
    Anyone else experience this ? Any resolution ?
    i haven't had that exact issue, but (once you're connected directly to their modem/router via cable and it's still happening) all those kinds of issues will need to be troubleshooted (troubleshot?) by a UPC engineer. pretty much all you can do from your end is power cycle it and if that doesn't fix it, they'll most likely need to do checks on the line and/or send out an engineer, so it's best to get onto them as quickly as possible to get things moving.

i had intermittent issues for several months with my phone and broadband cutting out, but i just kept on to them and they kept discounting me during the time when it wasn't fixed and eventually it got fixed.

now i've got rock solid 100mbps broadband which i wouldn't have had if i'd given up and gone with another provider and i couldn't be happier (touch wood). :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

vibe666 wrote: »
    now i've got rock solid 100mbps broadband which i wouldn't have had if i'd given up and gone with another provider and i couldn't be happier (touch wood). :)

Same here, mine is rock solid now, after ages pestering them until they fixed up the external cable issue. In my case the broadband used to disappear regularly for ages at a time. Every time they tested it it was fine so I had to use a "big gun" to get them to fix it.

Advertisement