Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New UPC 100mb Thomson TWG870UIR Router

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Hi, if you read forum over at chelloo.com/upc (UPC NL) you will see that 1.73 introduced massive speed issues. in NL modems are getting downgraded to 1.71.. maybe 1.71 wasn't rolled out in Ireland and hence the downgrade to 1.50.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Back to 1.50 also, after experiencing the 1.73 speed issues. These modems really are rubbish :P , maybe good hardware but the software is extremely poor

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Is there anyway to forward port more than 8 ports on these routers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

yoyo wrote: »
    Back to 1.50 also, after experiencing the 1.73 speed issues. These modems really are rubbish :P , maybe good hardware but the software is extremely poor

Nick

Where exactly in the router do you check FW ver?

I just looked under "Status" TAB and it shows

epc3925-ESIP-12-v302r125561-120727c_upc

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭ondafly

Firmware update/downgrade is for Thomsons - epc3925 sounds like you have a Cisco router?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

ondafly wrote: »
    Firmware update/downgrade is for Thomsons - epc3925 sounds like you have a Cisco router?

I have indeed, never spotted it was for the Thompson :D

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Hi

If it is the Thompson you have then to access the firmware info firstly ehter http://192.168.0.1 into your browser, enter the password "admin". Click on the VOIP tab and then Hardware info on the side panel. You should find it there.

As for the 870 Digiweb are now using this on their Metro wireless service and they are using the firmware 1.71. While speeds are OK the VOIP quality is not great and caller ID seems not to work properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

yoyo wrote: »

Nick

This is a pity. My router ran very well indeed on version 1.73 and I have always had issues with 1.50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Back to 1.50 also , had the low speeds issue with 1.73.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

Thanks for the reply GEO147, I totally missed it at the time and am just seeing it now.
    GEO147 wrote: »
    You would have to open ports in your router for uTorrent in the forwarding page under advanced.

OPen uTor and check in preferences/connections what your port is. Then tick/untick randomly change port so that it stays the same. Then just open the port on router to match uTor port. You might want to set a static IP for your pc/laptop also so that it doesnt change either.

Already did all that. If you look at the screenshot of my router firewall settings attached, you'll see the firewall is set to "low." It can be set to off, low med, high:

If I set it to anything above low, this happens with the uTorrent test:

If I set it back to low, this happens with the uTorrent test:
    RE wifi, is there not a button on the side to enable/disable wifi?

Feck, forgot about that button. Thanks.
    It'd be great if the wifi on the router was only activated when one of your specified devices (laptop, for example) turned on it's wifi adapter.
    Are there any routers with that functionality?

edit: Sorry about the big images folks.
    Here's my original question, that GEO147 was answering, for reference:
    seeing_ie wrote: »
    If I want the "network tests" in uTorrent to work correctly I have to set the router firewall protection to "low."

Not ideal security-wise I'm assuming.

Anyone know how to have the router firewall protection set to "high" and also have the utorrent network tests working smoothly?

The wifi only gets used once a day or so on mine for a couple of minutes.
    It'd be handy to have some way to enable wifi on the router only when you need it, from your wifi device, without having to log into the admin pages via an ethernet connected pc.
    More secure (router wifi active for much less time per day) and a saving on power too.

• Advertisement

Those images are not showing for me!

how about now?

In the bottom 2 jpegs it looks like you have not opened the ports. The box at the bottom on the left does not have a port number in it which leads me to believe that you are using UPNP only for connections.

If you open ports as previously described I believe it will not make any difference what setting your firewall is on, the incoming and outgoing traffic bypasses the firewall via the open port.

I imagine this is the only way to have the firewall set to high and still receive torrent data, but I could be mistaken.

Is the above not what you want?

In the bottom 2 jpegs it looks like you have not opened the ports. The box at the bottom on the left does not have a port number in it which leads me to believe that you are using UPNP only for connections.

If you open ports as previously described I believe it will not make any difference what setting your firewall is on, the incoming and outgoing traffic bypasses the firewall via the open port.

I imagine this is the only way to have the firewall set to high and still receive torrent data, but I could be mistaken.

Is the above not what you want?

I clipped the port number from both those jpegs.
    I've disabled UPNP in utorrent settings.
    I have forwarded the port correctly because as you can see, the utorrent test works perfectly when the router firewall is set to LOW.
    If I set it to MED or HIGH and run the utorrent test immediately the test fails, so I'm thinking it must be something to do with the router firewall.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Has anyone changed their wifi configuration on their router. To reduce congestion around nearby channels I tried to change some of the settings such as use the 5ghz band and upper side bands and channels such as 11 but it has made wifi very flaky for speeds and dropouts. I'm wondering if anyone has selected non default settings other than just a different channel.

LarWright wrote: »
    Can I ask how you set the Thomson IP manually! I have tried to change from the default 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.254 so all the rest of my manually set devices (192.168.1.xxx) won't have to all be reconfigured on the network.

I get an error saying "One or more parameters are incorrect" or similar. When I called UPC they just gave me the stock answer of "The Thomson router we provide cannot have it's IP address changed."

Obviously UPC have this locked as the option wouldn't be available in the router settings and if it was made to just have an IP of .0.1 Thomson would be making a router that is narrowing it's potential customer market.

I can understand to a degree why UPC may have it locked, so if you call Tech Support they know to direct you to 192.168.0.1 to access the settings rather than the IP being any number of others and it taking half a day for them to explain to you how to access it, but I'm fairly tech savvy with this stuff so will remember what the IP I assign to it is so should I need Tech Support can access the settings!

Any help appreciated!

Did you ever find a solution to this ?
    I wiped my router by mistake and cant find my backup to restore the settings .
    Damn thing wont let me change my ip to 192.168.1.1 .:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

Zardoz wrote: »
    Did you ever find a solution to this ?
    I wiped my router by mistake and cant find my backup to restore the settings .
    Damn thing wont let me change my ip to 192.168.1.1 .:mad:

Never sorted it. UPC just said wasn't able to be done. I ended up having to manually reconfigure everything on my network :(

LarWright wrote: »
    Never sorted it. UPC just said wasn't able to be done. I ended up having to manually reconfigure everything on my network :(
    Balls,thats a right joke that it cant be done.
    I had it configured as 192.168.1.1 before,just cant remember how I did it .:o

• Registered Users Posts: 30 darken9

Has anyone had success keeping a port open while the firewall protection is set to medium or high?
    No matter what i check or uncheck, no port is open to outside traffic????????
    Really annoying. I'm wide open!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Hi guys, massive thread!

Just wondering if anyone has found a way to share media across a network by plugging a non-NAS HDD into the Thompson via USB?

• Advertisement

Hi guys, massive thread!

Just wondering if anyone has found a way to share media across a network by plugging a non-NAS HDD into the Thompson via USB?

Can't be done. USB on this router is only for connection to PC and not for sharing USB devices. One thing I miss from my 5h1tty Vodafone router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

I have one of these routers.
    I recently installed a IPCCTV camera system with an NVR that I want to view remotely.
    I can see the cameras no problem on any device connected to the router.
    In order to view the cameras remotely I need to forward ports 80 and 8000.
    I have forwarded these ports on the router, however when I check using any of the port setting sites it says they are closed - any idea where I'm going wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

BigCon wrote: »
    I have one of these routers.
    I recently installed a IPCCTV camera system with an NVR that I want to view remotely.
    I can see the cameras no problem on any device connected to the router.
    In order to view the cameras remotely I need to forward ports 80 and 8000.
    I have forwarded these ports on the router, however when I check using any of the port setting sites it says they are closed - any idea where I'm going wrong?

If your forwarding the ports to the IP camera, then your computer wouldn't have the ports open for it, just the camera itself. So they will still look closed on the PC. Although port 80 should show as open anyway as it's for http.

Basically all traffic with those ports are being directed to the camera, your PC however would not have those ports open for it. Although not 100-percent.

According to the attached guide the ports should show as open?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 PatDee

Also try turn off you firewill and then test it, if it fails restart your modem, if it fails pin reset your modem, if all that fails put it in the DMZ it it fails....I'm stummped.

PatDee wrote: »
    Also try turn off you firewill and then test it, if it fails restart your modem, if it fails pin reset your modem, if all that fails put it in the DMZ it it fails....I'm stummped.

Thanks.
    The firewall is already turned off on the router.
    I've restarted the modem numerous times.
    I put it in DMZ and it still didn't work.

I'm going to hard reset the modem now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 codepic

I realize this is quite old topic but I encountered this issue today and were able to "solve" it.

In my case, I could not set the LAN IP to 192.168.1.1 from the factory default 192.168.0.1

1. Change the LAN IP to 192.168.1.1
    2. Change the DHCP Lease Pool Start to 192.168.1.100
    2. Change the DHCP Lease Pool End to 192.168.1.254
    3. Click Apply and let the device reboot

There seems to be a software bug that prevents you from changing to certain subnets if the DHCP Lease Pool Start is less than *.*.*.100

I'm now having problems getting my device to recognise certain wifi devices. My internet radio will no longer connect and my dad's laptop (which always worked) won't connect either. Both can see the router over DHCP but when I enter password, nothing happens on Internet radio and on laptop it just says "cannot connect".

Anyone any ideas?

Have tried resetting etc and still no joy.

Advertisement