Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New UPC 100mb Thomson TWG870UIR Router

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

jor el wrote: »
    There's no reason why the iphone and PSP shouldn't connect. If everything else does, then they should too. UPC throttles Megaupload, and have done for a long time. That's not going to change, and there's not a lot you can do. Connecting through a VPN should get by it.

Port forwarding does work. Perhaps you haven't set it up properly.

Is the 5Ghz turned on for the wireless? If so switch it back to 2.4Ghz and the iPhone should see it

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ger101

There's no reason why the iphone and PSP shouldn't connect. If everything else does, then they should too.
    Well I've been trying to get them to connect for the past few days and they're not connecting at all. My PSP says that the 'Key information exchange' timed out and the iPhone just fails to connect.
    UPC throttles Megaupload, and have done for a long time. That's not going to change, and there's not a lot you can do. Connecting through a VPN should get by it.
    Ah, I see. That's pretty annoying. What's VPN?
    Port forwarding does work. Perhaps you haven't set it up properly.
    I have set it up properly. I'm trying to connect to my PS3 (Which is giving me NAT Type 2) as I want to get NAT Type 1 because I can't join friends online (Disregard what others say. You cannot connect to others with NAT Type 2).

Here's a pic:
    Untitled-1-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

ger101 wrote: »
    Well I've been trying to get them to connect for the past few days and they're not connecting at all. My PSP says that the 'Key information exchange' timed out and the iPhone just fails to connect.

Ah, I see. That's pretty annoying. What's VPN?

I have set it up properly. I'm trying to connect to my PS3 (Which is giving me NAT Type 2) as I want to get NAT Type 1 because I can't join friends online (Disregard what others say. You cannot connect to others with NAT Type 2).

Here's a pic:
    Untitled-1-2.jpg

Ger in that pic, up thed top where it says Known Rule adder, Put in the IP address of your PS3, thats all I did for Xbox and WoWser NAT was open.

You have given your PS3 a Static IP address? Or is it completely different to xbox live.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Have UPC enabled modem bridge mode yet?

I'm reluctant to move to 50 Mbps if it involves letting go of my EPC2203 which just works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Has anyone managed to get remote web access to work on the thomson router.

I changed the default username and password and enabled remote access but when i try to connect via my public ip 46.x.x.x:8080 it prompts me for my login details , when i enter my logins it doesnt let me in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Jonathan wrote: »
    Have UPC enabled modem bridge mode yet?

I'm reluctant to move to 50 Mbps if it involves letting go of my EPC2203 which just works.
    i was the same, but i couldn't resist the idea of 100mbps & phone for less than the price of 30mbps & phone. :)

no bridge mode just yet, but there's a guide on here somewhere on setting it up to work in more or less the same way as bridge mode by putting your own router in the DMZ of the thompson and it works fine (so far, touch wood) with my linksys E3000 running tomato.

the only downside is that the thompson is fecking huge by comparison to the little EPC2203. i have heard a rumour of either an impending update to allow bridge mode OR a standalone modem like the EPC2203, but it is just rumours so far.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

vibe666 wrote: »
    the only downside is that the thompson is fecking huge by comparison to the little EPC2203. i have heard a rumour of either an impending update to allow bridge mode OR a standalone modem like the EPC2203, but it is just rumours so far.
    Oooh. I like the sound of that. Did you hear that from a technician?

If moving to 50 Mbps, do they make you change to the TWG870UIR or if you ask them nicely, will they let you stick with your EPC2203 knowing you are unlikely to ever get 50 Mbps?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Geckolimus

If moving to 50 Mbps, do they make you change to the TWG870UIR or if you ask them nicely, will they let you stick with your EPC2203 knowing you are unlikely to ever get 50 Mbps?

Hi, upgraded mine to 50Mb and yes, they say the old modem is not compatible with the improved speeds and you will need to get the router installed. That said the router seems to perform quite well compared to my previous D-Link Duo Streamer router which costed like 200 euros previously. No complaints so far, but I don't do too much port forwarding so the limited port options doesn't affect me that much.

Regards
    Gecko

Geckolimus wrote: »
    Hi, upgraded mine to 50Mb and yes, they say the old modem is not compatible with the improved speeds and you will need to get the router installed. That said the router seems to perform quite well compared to my previous D-Link Duo Streamer router which costed like 200 euros previously. No complaints so far, but I don't do too much port forwarding so the limited port options doesn't affect me that much.
    I think I'll leave it. I've got a WNDR3700 running my own versions of OpenWrt trunk which is working great. The last thing I want is not being able to access my network because some crap UPC router has crashed, reset itself and lost its DMZ or portforwarding information. :)

the epc2203 won't get you faster than 30mbps on the download. i know it's supposed to be technically capable of more, but people who've done the self install have only seen the upload speed increase before they put their new routers in, the download speed stayed the same at 30mbps more or less.
    I think I'll leave it. I've got a WNDR3700 running my own versions of OpenWrt trunk which is working great. The last thing I want is not being able to access my network because some crap UPC router has crashed, reset itself and lost its DMZ or portforwarding information. :)
    i'm running a linksys e3000 on a modified build of tomato v1.28 and haven't had any issues so far.

a few people have said that the thompson can overheat, but although it runs pretty warm, i haven't had any issues so far (touch wood).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

vibe666 wrote: »
    i'm running a linksys e3000 on a modified build of tomato v1.28 and haven't had any issues so far.

a few people have said that the thompson can overheat, but although it runs pretty warm, i haven't had any issues so far (touch wood).

I'm thinking of upgrading to 50 megs but will probably hold out until the cap increases to 500 gigs. Do you see any difference in speeds using the Thompson alone versus your Linksys? I currently have a wrt54g running Tomato wireless range is very good - any idea how your e3000 would compare?

Also curious to know if you have turned off wireless on your Thompson - I'm thinking that doing so might prevent overheating/instability.

digitaldr wrote: »
    I'm thinking of upgrading to 50 megs but will probably hold out until the cap increases to 500 gigs. Do you see any difference in speeds using the Thompson alone versus your Linksys? I currently have a wrt54g running Tomato wireless range is very good - any idea how your e3000 would compare?

Also curious to know if you have turned off wireless on your Thompson - I'm thinking that doing so might prevent overheating/instability.
    i was already using the e3000 with my old 30mbps UPC and the sci. atlanta epc2203 standalone modem (and a wrt54gs also with tomato before that) so the first thing i did when i got the 100mbps was turn everything off on the thompson and plug in the e3000 to get myself back up and running again right away.

once you have the static WAN IP of your router in the DMZ of the thompson, all you need to do is turn off all the wireless etc. on it and you're sorted. it's quite possible that having everything turned off is keeping mine cool, but i couldn't honestly say. all i know is it takes up about 3 times the space of the old scientific atlanta modem and is essentially doing the same job. :(

Hopefully they'll be offering a wired modem for 50meg when I upgrade in September although I seriously doubt it! How do you find the e3000's range compared to the wrt54g? I read somewhere that it's not as good because of the internal antennae.

2.4ghz wasn't exactly stellar at the outer reaches of my house, but i mostly use 5ghz (one of the reasons i got it in the first place, thanks to neighbourhood wifi interference) and the signal seems to be strong enough.

I'll probably see how the WRT54g goes when I upgrade as I do almost all of my downloading on a wired connection.

digitaldr wrote: »
    I'll probably see how the WRT54g goes when I upgrade as I do almost all of my downloading on a wired connection.
    me too, but i was already using gigabit switches on my LAN to speed up the local traffic and it was at a point where the e3000 was running tomato stably, so it seemed like a good time to upgrade the router as well.

Still haven't been able to get my iPhone and PSP to connect to the router. Does anyone have any idea as to why they're not connecting? I know for a fact that it's the router because both the iPhone and the PSP could connect to the router I had when I used Eircom with no problems.
    paddyk wrote: »
    Ger in that pic, up thed top where it says Known Rule adder, Put in the IP address of your PS3, thats all I did for Xbox and WoWser NAT was open.

You have given your PS3 a Static IP address? Or is it completely different to xbox live.
    Tried that and I'm still getting NAT Type 2. Yeah, I gave the PS3 a static IP.

EDIT: God, I'm STUPID!!!! So goddamn stupid! Turns out that the feckin password is case sensitive!! The iPhone and PSP are now connected. Still need to get NAT Type 1 on the PS3, though.

BTW, does the router have a dynamic IP?

You won't get Nat type 1 over the upc network with a ps3...it doesn't use pppoe which is the only way to get Nat type 1.
    You don't actually need Nat type 1 as type 2 works perfectly for all games .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭dunworth1

other network?

since i got this router a new network appeared named other network
    it has full signal rate so i believe it to be coming from the router.

anybody know about this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Mech1

same "other network" here.

• Advertisement

yes it seems to be a hidden network set up on the thompson which can only be disabled by disabling all wifi.

it was raised as a concern in austria (and i believe NL too and others) when the router first came out there and they modded their firmware to disable it, although i don't think it has been done here for some reason.

http://www.norman.com/security_center/blog/righard_zwienenberg/129786/en

You won't get Nat type 1 over the upc network with a ps3...it doesn't use pppoe which is the only way to get Nat type 1.
    Can you not set that up on the router, no? I think I've seen that in the settings...
    You don't actually need Nat type 1 as type 2 works perfectly for all games .
    No, it doesn't. I can't join my friends games and they can't join mine. I've had the same problem with Eircom's ZxYEL router as well as the router I had before that one and those two had NAT Type 2.

NO you can't set it up as UPC is DOCSIS rather than dsl/pppoe

Your not going to get Nat type 1

I have no problem joining any of my.friends games or me joining them on ps3

NO you can't set it up as UPC is DOCSIS rather than dsl/pppoe

Your not going to get Nat type 1
    Ah, that sucks!

I have no problem joining any of my.friends games or me joining them on ps3
    What settings are you using for the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭dunworth1

ok i think i have gotten a faulty one.

my speed over wireless is gone to ****e since i git this. (not even going over 1.2mb download speed)

but i can get max speed wired.

i am going to hook up my old dlink dir-615 tomorrow and see how that goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

dunworth1 wrote: »
    ok i think i have gotten a faulty one.

my speed over wireless is gone to ****e since i git this. (not even going over 1.2mb download speed)

but i can get max speed wired.

i am going to hook up my old dlink dir-615 tomorrow and see how that goes.

perhaps there is a lot of interference on the 2.4Ghz frequency locally. Try the 5Ghz band.

Also I don't think iphones work on the 5Ghz band and the Thompson does not do duel bands

Ah, that sucks!

What settings are you using for the router?

Im not using any special settings for the ps3 at all...Using DHCP instead of a static ip.

What you could try if your having problems is give your ps3 a static ip and put it in the dmz of the router,see if that lets you join games and such..

I've run into another problem: The phone won't work. I have the broadband/phone package and the guy who installed the stuff said I just had to plug the phone into the phone socket on the router and it would work. Well I did that and it didn't work - no dial tone and can't get any calls.

Anyone know what's going on? I have a feeling there's more to it than just plugging the thing into the phone socket.
    Im not using any special settings for the ps3 at all...Using DHCP instead of a static ip.

What you could try if your having problems is give your ps3 a static ip and put it in the dmz of the router,see if that lets you join games and such..
    Okay, I'll give that a try and see if it works.

I've run into another problem: The phone won't work. I have the broadband/phone package and the guy who installed the stuff said I just had to plug the phone into the phone socket on the router and it would work. Well I did that and it didn't work - no dial tone and can't get any calls.

Anyone know what's going on? I have a feeling there's more to it than just plugging the thing into the phone socket.

Okay, I'll give that a try and see if it works.
    what sort of phone are you using, did you get one from them or is it your own?

if it's a really old dect wireless one it might not work (mine, which were about 7-8 years old didn't). i was told that it was something to do with them not being compatible with a digital phoneline, although i never had it confirmed. upc gave me 2 newer (but not very good) dect phones and they worked fine just by plugging the main one into the modem, so i've just been using them ever since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BulliteShot

It seems most of the time when my laptop starts up, the router knocks crashes and restarts itself. Sometimes it does it twice in a row :confused: My desktop PC doesn't seem to crash it at all.

Edit: There doesn't seem to be a way to upgrade the router... fail.

Advertisement