Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New UPC 100mb Thomson TWG870UIR Router

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

PrzemoF wrote: »
    Doest it work for you? I cannot force my laptop with realtek rtl8188 dongle to connect to the router when in 5 GHz mode.

Funny enough my Samsung Galaxy S2 has 5GHz support and it connects fine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Thor wrote: »
    Funny enough my Samsung Galaxy S2 has 5GHz support and it connects fine!!
    Did you switch the router to 5GHz? (default is 2.4Ghz)

I did

167415.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

I did

167415.png

how did you get this please. Mine only has the 2.4 see attacthed

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

Possibly in the wrong section, but a friend of my gave me his Netgear WNR2000-router, since he had the newer model in use. Now, i'm not sure, but i've done a search (including the howto guide in setting up a router with the Thomson) but i can't even get a connection with the router.

Are there any differences between adsl and cable-routers? This is apparently for dsl.
    Or am i just a bit thickheaded in installing it?

thomson-cable-router-cable-laptop is how it's connected at the moment.

• Advertisement

how did you get this please. Mine only has the 2.4 see attacthed

CAn you check what firmware you have.

I noticed that when I had previous firmware revisions my modem didn't have 5GHx option. As I wondered why they had the option if there was only one choice available.

Then I got a replacement modem as the old one wouldn't update the firmware for some reason. Funny enough the modem they replaced it with(Dated November 2010) was older than the one I originally had(Dated February 2011) yet the replacement modem updated the firmware fine and has the 5GHz option available.

You can check what firmware you have on the main page under software version.

I noticed that when I had previous firmware revisions my modem didn't have 5GHx option. As I wondered why they had the option if there was only one choice available.

Then I got a replacement modem as the old one wouldn't update the firmware for some reason. Funny enough the modem they replaced it with(Dated November 2010) was older than the one I originally had(Dated February 2011) yet the replacement modem updated the firmware fine and has the 5GHz option available.

stba 01.05
    where did you get the firmware update?

stba 01.05
    where did you get the firmware update?

The modem updates the firmware itself. For some reason the first one I got couldn't update.

It looks like you have the same problem.

Stba.01.05 is really old firmware.

The newest is stba01.36.

I had mulitple problems with my 100mb line. The speed couldn't max out on certain things.

**EDIT**

So i finally convinced them it was the firmware(Compared to the results of my friends modem with all the settings the same except the firmware version) Once they replaced the modem, I checked the firmware on it and it was STBA01.05 but upgrade a few minutes later to STBA.01.30 and then to STBA.01.36. That sovled the issue i was having.

They need to find out why some boxes aren't getting the new firmware. Best to ring them and tell them you are stuck on the old firmware and need it updated. If they say they don't know how. Then tell them to replace the modem.

The modem updates the firmware itself. For some reason the first one I got couldn't update.

It looks like you have the same problem.

Stba.01.05 is really old firmware.

The newest is stba01.36.

I had mulitple problems with my 100mb line. The speed couldn't max out on certain things.

how does the update take place? Can I force one?

how does the update take place? Can I force one?

See the edit i just made above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

dMaN24 wrote: »
    Are there any differences between adsl and cable-routers? This is apparently for dsl.
    there are differences between adsl routers and regular routers, but the WNR2000 should work fine with your UPC broadband.

try this:

1. reset the router to the default settings.
    2. turn off the cable modem and unplug the ethernet cable
    3. wait for 5 mins
    4. turn on the cable modem only and do NOT plug any ethernet cables in
    5. wait until all the lights are up on the cable modem and it's connected to the net
    6. connect the router to the cable modem via the WAN port on the router (usually a different colour from the rest).
    7. you should now be able to (hopefully) get public IP from UPC on the router and it will show up in the router status when you log in to the router.

if not, you might want to consider starting your own thread about it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ger101

So I got this router last week and have noticed today that I can't connect my iPhone and PSP to the network. ANyone know what's going on?

My PS3, 360 and my brother's laptop are connected to it, btw, so why can't I connect my PSP and iPhone?

Edit: Is Megaupload extremely slow for anyone else? When I had Eircom's crappy internet MU was always mad slow for me, so I've gotten used to that. But I assume with 80-90MB download speed (I have UPC's 100MB package), the damn site would be 10x faster! What's the deal with that?

my iphone connects to the wireless network but does not load pages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

Why change from 2.4 to 5 ?

5 better ?

banchang wrote: »
    Why change from 2.4 to 5 ?

5 better ?

If your wireless device supports 5GHz then yes it would be better, The fact is that 2.4GHz gets extremely crowded with my neighbours WiFi. So i use 5GHz which no else is using. Thing is for me, I really only use WiFi for my phone(Which supports 5GHz), Everything else is uses cable. So really it only comes down to if your devices supports it or not. If one doesn't then you can't use it as that device won't be able to connect anymore. Mainly because this isn't a dual band router. Only single band. It can only do one at a time either 2.4GHz or 5GHz

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the other option is to do what i did and buy a dual band, dual radio router that can do both 2.4 and 5Ghz at the same time and completely turn off the wireless on your thompson router, but obviously then you've got an extra box to worry about, but i do find the inconvenience of that is worth it to have all the extra features i can now have with a router of my own choosing.

that and that i can't get a strong stable signal on 2.4Ghz because of all my neighbours. :(

If your wireless device supports 5GHz then yes it would be better, The fact is that 2.4GHz gets extremely crowded with my neighbours WiFi. So i use 5GHz which no else is using. Thing is for me, I really only use WiFi for my phone(Which supports 5GHz), Everything else is uses cable. So really it only comes down to if your devices supports it or not. If one doesn't then you can't use it as that device won't be able to connect anymore. Mainly because this isn't a dual band router. Only single band. It can only do one at a time either 2.4GHz or 5GHz

I'm all good now too. I've connected the airport extreme to one of the lan ports on the thomson, turned off dhcp and wireless on the thomson and now duel band wireless via airport extreme and also NAS drives connected to it./

I'm all good now too. I've connected the airport extreme to one of the lan ports on the thomson, turned off dhcp and wireless on the thomson and now duel band wireless via airport extreme and also NAS drives connected to it./

Make sure to turn on DMZ on the thomson modem and point it to the Airport extreme router.

That way the net will be completely open to the airport router and you wont have to worry about the Thomson interfering with ports and stuff!!

Make sure to turn on DMZ on the thomson modem and point it to the Airport extreme router.

That way the net will be completely open to the airport router and you wont have to worry about the Thomson interfering with ports and stuff!!

The thomson will only allow DMZ on IP in range 192.168.0.XXX. My airport is 10.80.10.01

The thomson will only allow DMZ on IP in range 192.168.0.XXX. My airport is 10.80.10.01

You should be able to give the Airport router a static ip address between those ranges and then simply enter the same one into the thomson modem with DMZ.

• Advertisement

You should be able to give the Airport router a static ip address between those ranges and then simply enter the same one into the thomson modem with DMZ.

another issue I have when I remove the airport. If I assign a ststic IP to any of my computers they can't access and they drop off the IP table on the Thomson until I return to regular DHCP

another issue I have when I remove the airport. If I assign a ststic IP to any of my computers they can't access and they drop off the IP table on the Thomson until I return to regular DHCP

That's why most people just use the Thomson as a modem by using DMZ. It basically means you wont have to go near it again for any reason.

Once you have DMZ active on the airport router, Then you can route all traffic to it and have all your computers directly connected to it via cable or wireless.

The Thomson router to say the least is terrible and the fact they don't allow bridge mode is beyond me!!

DMZ is the only option if you want to use a second router correctly and not have the Thomson interfere with it.

That's why most people just use the Thomson as a modem by using DMZ. It basically means you wont have to go near it again for any reason.

Once you have DMZ active on the airport router, Then you can route all traffic to it and have all your computers directly connected to it via cable or wireless.

The Thomson router to say the least is terrible and the fact they don't allow bridge mode is beyond me!!

DMZ is the only option if you want to use a second router correctly and not have the Thomson interfere with it.

The thomson seems to give out IP starting at 192.168.0.11. Can I assign the airport extreme 192.168.0.2 or does it have to be after 192.168.0.11?

The thomson seems to give out IP starting at 192.168.0.11. Can I assign the airport extreme 192.168.0.2 or does it have to be after 192.168.0.11?

192.168.0.2 is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭valdigre

Hi guys,

I am on 50 megabit cable and have the Thomson modem/router.

It currently says, that it's firmware version is "STB9.01.30".

From what you are saying, it is not the latest version but not the oldest one as well?

Do you all have Portbase PassThrough disabled, even on latest firmwares?

And by the way, My Linksys e4200 is possible to configure according to this tutorial http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71665694&postcount=452 only in "bridge mode". It means, it will act as a dumb access point and the routing is done by thomson.

Any ideas what can be done about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ger101

ger101 wrote: »
    So I got this router last week and have noticed today that I can't connect my iPhone and PSP to the network. ANyone know what's going on?

My PS3, 360 and my brother's laptop are connected to it, btw, so why can't I connect my PSP and iPhone?

Edit: Is Megaupload extremely slow for anyone else? When I had Eircom's crappy internet MU was always mad slow for me, so I've gotten used to that. But I assume with 80-90MB download speed (I have UPC's 100MB package), the damn site would be 10x faster! What's the deal with that?
    Can someone please help me with this? Also, how come port forwarding doesn't work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

The Thompson will allow any DMZ host that is in the same LAN subnet as itself.It's not limited to 192.168.0.0/24.For instance, my Thompson has a LAN IP of 192.168.80.1 and my DD-WRT router is in the Thompson's DMZ zone @ 192.168.80.2.

You could change the Thompson's LAN IP to anything in the 10.80.10.0/24 subnet and then you will able to add the WAN port of your Airport device in it's DMZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

Just switched from eircom to UPC 100MG fibre power broadband, & got the Thomson TWG870 router from UPC to support the 100mg.

I find the wireless range around the house much poorer than that achieved with the eircom Netopia 2247NWG, with 2 laptops no more than 5 metres away (albeit through some doors/walls) not getting the good signal previously achieved with the Netopia - nothing else has changed.

Firstly, has anyone else experienced this with the Thomson, & is there anything I should be tweaking to optimise reach ?

Secondly, is there a way to use the Netopia 2247NWG as a wireless extender, not connected by ethernet to the Thomson ie sitting remotely in the house ? (I would like to see if I can make this work before spending any money on powerline homeplugs etc.)

Links/advice welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

banchang wrote: »
    I find the wireless range around the house much poorer than that achieved with the eircom Netopia 2247NWG, with 2 laptops no more than 5 metres away (albeit through some doors/walls) not getting the good signal previously achieved with the Netopia - nothing else has changed.

Firstly, has anyone else experienced this with the Thomson, & is there anything I should be tweaking to optimise reach ?
    Actually me too, compared with my old SA modem and Airport Extreme router.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There's no reason why the iphone and PSP shouldn't connect. If everything else does, then they should too. UPC throttles Megaupload, and have done for a long time. That's not going to change, and there's not a lot you can do. Connecting through a VPN should get by it.
    Can someone please help me with this? Also, how come port forwarding doesn't work?

Port forwarding does work. Perhaps you haven't set it up properly.

Advertisement