Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New UPC 100mb Thomson TWG870UIR Router

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Stefsmyth

This was my fear. I'm afraid that if the Thomson can't be made to act as a simple modem, that's a dealbreaker for me.

Have you tried logging in as "admin" with a blank password?

Try leaving username blank and password "admin" worked for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Just noticed this last night after my router restarted. It seems all 8 channels are now active.

181035.jpg

Forgive me if I'm wrong, But doesn't that mean they can increase the speed at will now.

I know they could have done 120Mbps on 4 channels easily, But with 8!!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BulliteShot

UPC have limited bandwidth, especially out of dublin. If they did put the speed up to 240 Mbps, their network would get crap very quickly. They're using the fibre optic network that the government implemented about 5 years ago (rough figure, don't know exactly)
    There's a reason why we only have 500GB bandwidth on an 100 Mbps connection.

UPC have limited bandwidth, especially out of dublin. If they did put the speed up to 240 Mbps, their network would get crap very quickly. They're using the fibre optic network that the government implemented about 5 years ago (rough figure, don't know exactly)
    There's a reason why we only have 500GB bandwidth on an 100 Mbps connection.

They only installed it here a few months ago, Plus I don't think the government have any say in what UPC, I'm pretty sure it was by UPCs own initiative to install the fibre optic lines.

Most people forget just how big UPC are in Europe, Not to mention they are owned by Liberty global, Which is a massive company in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Thor wrote: »
    They only installed it here a few months ago, Plus I don't think the government have any say in what UPC, I'm pretty sure it was by UPCs own initiative to install the fibre optic lines.

Most people forget just how big UPC are in Europe, Not to mention they are owned by Liberty global, Which is a massive company in the US.

ya as far as i know upc laid there own fibre cable around the country

• Advertisement

Not to sligo, I don't know about other counties although it would make sense for the same scheme.

UPC must have authority to connect parts of the city up to the backbone, but the fibre connectivity to Sligo was deployed as part of a government scheme.

Judging by the broadband history of this country, unless those lines are updated within the next 5 years, this epic fibre internet will be just as bad as eircom's DSL in the years to come.

Not to sligo, I don't know about other counties although it would make sense for the same scheme.

UPC must have authority to connect parts of the city up to the backbone, but the main fibre transit around the country was deployed as part of a government scheme.

Judging by the broadband history of this country, unless those lines are updated within the next 5 years, this epic fibre internet will be just as bad as eircom's DSL in the years to come.

If that was the case, How come UPC are the only ones to use it, If it was something like DSL, The government make Eircom resell it to other providers.

UPC lines are just that, There lines, There is no government scheme that i know about that installs fibre lines for UPC to use.

Eircom's NGB broadband will be using their own lines. ;)

Eircom's NGB broadband will be using these lines. Do your research ;)

Em, Please show me were you read that, I happen to know that is complete bull.

Eircom and UPC will NEVER be sharing the same lines, That is fact!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Eircom's NGB broadband will be using these lines. Do your research ;)

They're using entirely different fibre backhaul.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

In Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick etc UPC's network is operating entirely over their own infrastructure. They laid loads of fibre and they have their own trunk networks too.

They may purchase capacity on unlit MAN networks in some other areas. These are neutral, state-owned fibre networks that are open to any operator to purchase either capacity on or, to purchase rights to use unlit fibres and their own equipment.

Their cable network is a class hybrid coax-fibre network i.e. there is fibre to the nearest node i.e. right to the box on your street and high capacity coax from there to your home. That's how they achieve the speeds.

There's a 500GB cap because, even though they have the capacity, they don't want people just downloading the whole internet. Also, nobody else is offering any comparable services to domestic users at present so they don't really have to compete on caps.

In other markets, UPC may be up against fibre from the likes of KPN in the Netherlands etc. In Ireland at present, nobody's really competing with them as it's all DSL or Wireless.

That's what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

That's what I said.

No it's not, you edited your post.

Originally...
    Eircom's NGB broadband will be using these lines. Do your research

Right... because a quote that can be edited by the poster is 100% guaranteed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Right... because a quote that can be edited by the poster is 100% guaranteed.

Stop this now. You edited your post after it was quoted, and as a mod I can see your original post. Stop lying, and move on.

Damn, too hard to wind up know-it-alls these days..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

looks a lot more like it's too easy to catch out bullsh*tters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Troll banned.

can someone do me a solid can you take a screenshot
    of the connection page (the one with the downstream channels) on the modem admin.

as i am having a problem with my broadband and upc are telling me that the power is too high so i just want to see what other people have

dunworth1 wrote: »
    can someone do me a solid can you take a screenshot
    of the connection page (the one with the downstream channels) on the modem admin.
    here you go. it's 100mbps, if that makes any difference?

181463.jpeg

• Advertisement

Here is mine, As you will note there are 8 channels active, Which is why i posted this the other day, Found it odd as with 8 channels the speed can be increased much higher.

181035.jpg

vibe666 wrote: »
    here you go. it's 100mbps, if that makes any difference?

i'm on the 50mb

but my power levels are quite high compared to yours alright

181468.png

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bili83

How do I update Thomson TWG870U from STB9.01.30 to new firmware version???
    Thanks

bili83 wrote: »
    How do I update Thomson TWG870U from STB9.01.30 to new firmware version???
    Thanks

You can't.

I had a big problem with they installed the 100Mb line the first time.

The router wouldnt update firmware passed .05.

I kept telling them it was the firmware that was the issue, They wouldnt listen, I said fine, Replace the modem. So they did.

The router came with the same old firmware and bam! it updated as soon as I connected it to 01.30, Then once my connection provisioned, It updated again to 01.36.

The issue i was having was that my speed would rarely go passed 50Mb, I checked all my settings compared to my friend to lives on the same road as me. The only difference was that his firmware was newer than mine.

The new router once it had the new firmware worked perfectly. I had no connection issues.

I told this to UPC, Luckily though, I don't there there is any issues with 01.30.

But the problem remains that we can't update the firmware ourselves and they have no idea how to do it.

So your luck you are on 01.30 and not 01.05.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

Having lots of fun with my new UPC modem. One question: Can anyone post if they have a regular traditional wired telephone that works on this modem? I rather not get one of the newer dect phones as I find them less resistant to normal wear and tear etc....

I asked UPC, but they insisted that only "wireless handsets are compatible" which doesn't exactly make sense??? I guess its more "you're milage may vary". I've used my phone succesfully on a friends EPC2425, but want to make sure on the thompson before I cancel my phone rental.

Thanks,
    LK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I haven't tried a pulse phone or anything like that, but regular corded phones work without problem. Cordless phones are really more to do with the phone interacting with itself than the connection so it makes no difference at all.

not entirely true unfortunately.

regular corded phones should work fine, but some earlier models of dect phone may not work if they are not compatible with a digital phoneline.

i had a nice 4 pack of BT branded dect phones which were bought from argos about 6-7 years ago that worked fine on my old eircom line, but refused to work on my UPC phoneline at all.

i've since bought a newer 3 pack of dect phones (again from argos) and they work perfectly, so i guess the answer is yes, anything wired that is touch tone or *some* older dect phones should work fine.

dunworth1 wrote: »
    i'm on the 50mb

but my power levels are quite high compared to yours alright

just update this the engineer put in a splitter.

and that brought down the power levels to around 9.0-10

and so far it seems to be ok.. only time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

vibe666 wrote: »
    not entirely true unfortunately.

regular corded phones should work fine, but some earlier models of dect phone may not work if they are not compatible with a digital phoneline.

i had a nice 4 pack of BT branded dect phones which were bought from argos about 6-7 years ago that worked fine on my old eircom line, but refused to work on my UPC phoneline at all.

i've since bought a newer 3 pack of dect phones (again from argos) and they work perfectly, so i guess the answer is yes, anything wired that is touch tone or *some* older dect phones should work fine.

Does connectng the supplied dect phone to the router cause lag or any other pronlems. I ask because the riuter is pretty unstable as it is and I imagine that asking it to make calls/or just having a phone connected would add to the problems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

The Thompson modem can use upto 8 channels for the downstream if the signal is weak.

Advertisement