Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JayKHunter's OSW Review 99 - AEW Revolution 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭blackpotato

Ok well I did see that Cena showing up after Orton's match last Sunday was part of the next storyline to unite the belts (something I've been ranting should have been done a long time ago) but it still seemed a bit odd and left a funny taste. I've heard wrestlers who got released from WWE say bad things about Cena backstage but then they maybe have to blame someone, and I suspect he does politic a little bit which maybe comes with the territory of being the top guy and I know he brown-noses and puts himself beside anyone he thinks is getting popular. And I know he does a lot of work for "charity mate" and in some ways he's a good sort but God... enough.
    I did think those Noggers looked like Feasts but I wasn't sure. I am still stumped by dark chocolate Catch bars but I'll ask the Mam when I see her tomorrow. Her past experience of running a sweetshop in the 80's will be called on in 2013 for sure.
    I totally watch Impact and I did realise the tune from when they are promoting house shows (and when they come back from ads too I think) was in the podcast, just the message I was typing was already too long and boring!
    I think Ian "The Ranting Reverand" Paisley would have been an amazing heel back in the day, he wasted his life on Unionism instead of being a top top wrestler. Brother Love can go suck a hot dog, Big Ian would have owned.
    I do keep asking myself if I had access to the last year or 2 of WCW at the time, would I watch it? Christ, I don't know, but I suspect it'd hurt my head too much too often.
    If nothing else though, this podcast and the few others I watched (I think I seen them all now apart from The Marine 3) has me looking back at old Macho Man stuff from WCW days that I never looked at before because I thought it'd make me sad that he left WWE and sadder that he's not around anymore. Ok he wasn't great on commentary but if he was in a good non-wrestling role like an authority figure, it could have been really fantastic. Seeing him and Hogan cut promos with Sting and Luger, it's funny because as much as I don't like Hogan, compared to Sting and Luger, Hogan and Macho are like God and Santa hanging out with Mick and Dave, the difference between them is like night and day.
    At least Jack Swagger knows he shoudn't talk, Luger probably thinks he was great on the mic. I've no idea.
    I can't wait for part 3 of the trilogy though, I think it'll be very funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭Ridley

Y'know, having watched this, I don't think Arquette getting the belt is a terrible idea in and of itself.

That brief moment where he doesn't want the belt should have been the story. Any enjoyment from winning should have quickly given way to the fact he'd have to defend it (or at least any bragging should have been a clear front to badly disguise how terried he is of the inevitable beatdown).

With the triple threat you have a situation where he can't just throw the match and add to that a DDP who values the belt enough that he wants it back in an actual contest rather than his inexplicable happiness at no longer being champion. Hype it as a situation where no-one should be happy with that outcome. Could have been decent. tongue.png

O' course, that could have been the way it played out anyway since I ditched WCW and wiped my mind of anything that happened there when I got weekly access to WWE in 1999 but it's workable in my head. wink.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

I'm leaving an unpopular opinion here but I think this is my least favourite episode. Mainly because of video quality (I know that's not your fault lads) amd being dropped into a group of storylines. I didn't watch the dying days of WCW so I'd no idea of what was going on. Maybe Slamboree will be better as I'll be more familiar of what's going on. I'm excited to see where it'll be going in the new year. I really love the show and hope there'll be even more awesomeness in the future.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Fair enough, surprised those were your reasons (I would've said 'because we go off-topic a lot' or 'we don't explain things thoroughly enough!'). It was weird not having a point of reference that we usually have; but we're extremely excited treading new ground, especially after spinning the wheels a bit at the tail end of the Hulkamania Era. I'm glad someone cares about video quality as I spend a lot of time sourcing DVDs, encoding and cropping to remove the black bars at the side that really age the picture! If you want a bad episode I suggest Piledriver VHS! (episode 11)

Ridley I'll try tackle that topic on the next show, I do agree.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Fair enough, surprised those were your reasons (I would've said 'because we go off-topic a lot' or 'we don't explain things thoroughly enough!'). It was weird not having a point of reference that we usually have; but we're extremely excited treading new ground, especially after spinning the wheels a bit at the tail end of the Hulkamania Era. I'm glad someone cares about video quality as I spend a lot of time sourcing DVDs, encoding and cropping to remove the black bars at the side that really age the picture! If you want a bad episode I suggest Piledriver VHS! (episode 11)

I've watched the Piledriver ep twice before and was in stitches. I can't really fault you on the video quality too much as I'm sure episodes of thunder are hard to come by seeing as the'll probably rot in titan tower. I'm excited going forward to see what will be next. Maybe a longer storyline? The tri-force of awesome was just too short :)

• Advertisement

We'll decide what's next when we tape Slamboree (which is next week!) :) Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

You looking for a possible direction for the series or just a once off episode?

Well, a short run of shows (a particular storyline). We'll be doing that format for the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

I'd be interested in your guys take on the WCW/ECW invasion storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I remember when the open vote went out and Wrestlemania 9 won. ECW One Night Stand got a big chunk of votes. Plenty of scope for a bit of a series with ECW ONS I/II. Maybe continue the trilogy theme and throw in an "old school" classic ECW or even better the turkey that was WWECW December to Dismember.

I love the 90s stuff. Think all WWF is covered and (even as the biggest WCW mark) am a bit WCWed out after the latest episodes.

Might get a bit samesy after a while but what about a critic of Takers streak?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I'd like to see you cover the Hulkamania comeback.

I'd like to see a bit of the nWo formation covered! Always got a soft spot for them.

It's true, Piledriver was hilarious. One of the Steves got up in mid-podcast and left I think, bad form but I did laugh a lot at that!
    I have no idea if it's better to see stuff that I already know about for the nostalgia or get to see and learn stuff that I don't know much about, so I go no opinion on what kind of stuff should be covered. I'll watch it regardless.

Actually hearing you guys bury Demolition Crush in his 1st ppv a few days ago made me feel bad for giving you guys **** for loving Kona Crush so much a while back. My own fault for not going through all the podcasts in proper chronological order.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I'm leaving an unpopular opinion here but I think this is my least favourite episode. Mainly because of video quality (I know that's not your fault lads) amd being dropped into a group of storylines. I didn't watch the dying days of WCW so I'd no idea of what was going on. Maybe Slamboree will be better as I'll be more familiar of what's going on. I'm excited to see where it'll be going in the new year. I really love the show and hope there'll be even more awesomeness in the future.

If fairness the storylines didn't make any sense at the time. Very freneticly paced and lots of wrestlers refusing to turn up to work mid storyline.

Black Saturday - Unaired Pilot! [#00]

Vince McMahon in WCW in the 80s? It happened! And I reviewed it!
    July 14, 1984. WWF breaks territorial boundaries by buying GCW's "World Championship Wrestling" timeslot and airing WWF bouts in it's place.
    This bid to take over the wrestling industry went sour, and started the rivalry between McMahon and Ted Turner, which would lead to the Monday Night Wars.

vqy1.jpg

WATCH: Pilot.OSWreview.com
    MORE GOODNESS : OSWreview.com

This episode was made as a sales-pitch to my future co-hosts to convince them to do the show. Originally made in May 2011. It's set to "unlisted" as it's for your eyes only :) If nothing else you can see the improvement since then!
    You can read the original boards.ie post here.

WCW Slamboree 2000! [#34]

David Arquette defends his WCW world title in a Triple Cage! Kidman draws fleas against Hulk Hogan!
    Merry Christmas Noggers! It's the final installment of the David Arquette Trilogy!

c3gv.jpg

WATCH: YouTube34.OSWreview.com
    MORE GOODNESS : OSWreview.com

Thank god! Bored out of my tree tonight, tossing up whether to play GTA or re-watch Sherlock. Thank you for the awesome alternative!

I can't go to bed without saying Vampiro's music sounds like Even Flow by Pearl Jam and not Alive.

I'm midway through the show. It's really really funny.

Happy Christmas guys and thanks for all the OSW entertainment and laughs you have given me this year.

:)

Really enjoyed the Slamboree review. First video version I watched since the pilot. So much work seems to involved pre and post production. Would love to know your trade secrets. :pac:

Inspired by your show checked out the Pro Wrestling Torch Slamboree edition and came across this:
    -Dallas Page came very close to not making it to the PPV Sunday. While orienting himself to the triple decker cage, he was on the hardcore middle level talking to Jeff Jarrett who was moving about on the top level. Page was looking up and stepped right into the hole in the middle of the second tier. He fell and caught himself with one leg and one arm, but injured his shoulder in the process. Had he not caught himself, he could have broken his neck. He felt relatively okay the rest of the day, but the next morning was incredible stiff from the fall. There was talk of the building having an ominous curse since it was 12 months earlier in that arena that Owen Hart fell to his death. Page and Jarrett requested that a trap door be put on the floor of the middle tier to protect them from falling through the cage accidentally at the PPV. The door was welded on the spot on Sunday morning. During the match Jarrett closed the trap door shortly after both he and Page began fighting on the middle tier.
    -Chris Kanyon will be taking off five weeks to sell the bump he took at Slamboree on Sunday night. He was not injured from the bump at all, although the announcers thought he overshot the gimmicked part of the ramp and thought there was a good chance he was legitimately hurt on the move. Kanyon had practiced the move three times on Saturday landing on top of cardboard boxes which had a lot of give. Sunday at the PPV the ramp was gimmicked to pad his fall. The plywood that normally supports the wrestlers as they walk to the ring was pulled during the cage match and only stretched out carpet was covering a stack of cardboard boxes underneath. Having the stretched out carpet took away quite a bit of the cushioning he had during the practice bumps the day before because instead of sinking several feet on the boxes, the carpet kept him from sinking any more than a foot. There were stunt coordinators next to the ramp ready to push him in mid-flight onto the gimmicked part of the rampway if he was flying off course, although it would have been tough in mid-flight to correct him if he was very far off course. Also, if the stunt workers were unable to pull the plywood out from under the carpeting, the plan was for them to literally stand on the rampway and wave off the move. As it turned out, the bump went perfectly, although Kanyon told friends afterward that the adrenaline rush he felt up there in front of the crowd was such that he probably would have taken the bump on the plywood. There was a black piece of tape where he was supposed to land, and that's exactly where his butt landed.

-WCW management and Kanyon had second thoughts about going through with the move. Originally WCW management suggested Awesome powerbomb Kanyon through a table, but Kanyon suggested something more extreme since others had gotten up from the powerbombs through tables and wrestled days later. Once the stunt was set up for him to bump off the top of the cage, the plan was reconsidered because it was in the same arena where Owen Hart had fallen to his death one year earlier. Also, the date of the PPV - May 7 - was Owen's birthday. Add to that, even if the bump went well, was it right to put the fans through another dangerous looking stunt a year later? And what if it didn't go right? The publicity would be terrible for WCW and the wrestling industry as a whole. Kanyon assured people that he felt comfortable with the bump. The stunt coordinators pushed for him to do a straight fall without the flip, but Kanyon felt the flip would look better. Kanyon had given written permission to Eric Bischoff to air a pretaped segment of him in a neck brace even if he did get legitimately hurt.

WCW/Russo had a real issue that year of acknowledging that Wrestlers aren't stunt men. For example Goldberg punch threw real glass and nearly losing his arm or an undiagnosed concussed Bret Hart in a care angle skidding on black ice and nearly crashing into a production truck.

You made the right choice not covering WCW 2000 in a greater form than you did. As it is the same dozen of Russo tropes over and over. His TNA stint is still relatively fresh too.

Thanks for posting that Rovert, that's very scary about Page falling through the trap hole (not a door yet!). Same with hedging bets and pre-taping Kanyon in a brace in case the worst should happen. Reminds me of James Earl Jones recording many lines of dialogue just in case he died before Revenge of the Sith was recorded... It must be weird only listening to audio, especially the videogame intros or what bar segments!
    ShagNastii wrote: »
    I remember when the open vote went out and Wrestlemania 9 won. ECW One Night Stand got a big chunk of votes. Plenty of scope for a bit of a series with ECW ONS I/II. Maybe continue the trilogy theme and throw in an "old school" classic ECW or even better the turkey that was WWECW December to Dismember.

Wow Shag, you got it spot on!

blackpotato there's def a bit of Smashing Pumpkin's Cherub Rock in Vampiro's theme too!

• Advertisement

I would feel weird just listening to OSWReview. So many segments and references that you need a visual for. It's partly the great editing too.

I tried out the Attitude Era Review's first video there last night and turned it off after 5 minutes. Just bad quality.

Attitude Era podcast is a great audio podcast that COULD transition to video but doesn't need to.

OSWReview is still top nogger lads!

Slamboree was fantastic. One of my top three eps! Can't wait for the ECW series. Dying to hear your thoughts on the one night stand PPVs and Heymans trouble around December to dismember.

Jay if you covering that period of ECW and Heyman's last days this book provides a lot of info:

hardcore-history-extremely-unauthorized-story-ecw-scott-williams-3200385.jpg

Talks to pretty much every player. Heyman is not quoted on record but very, very clearly he is a primary source as amusingly it has what Heyman said in various scenarios to various people the entire timeline of ECW.

Cheers Mitch! I'm extremely proud of AER & AEP, it's v flattering to inspire others to start their own show. Video def. helps alleviate the grunt work of calling spots etc, I think it's the least interesting (but necessary) part of reviewing but stuff like what bar & intros wouldn't be possible or half as fun without video.

Thanks HH! :) Don't mean to sound conceited but what parts of Slamboree did you like best?

Cool Rovert, haven't heard of that before, I'll see if I can get my hands on it. There's a bit split between people wanting to see Barely Legal 97 & Heatwave 98 next!

Thanks HH! :) Don't mean to sound conceited but what parts of Slamboree did you like best?

The PPV itself was godawful, but you guys made it awesome. It was mainly the improved quality on the video and audio and then the usual great commentary and tidbits. I loved the historical look at career retrospectives of people on the show too. Always funny as hell. Dying for the ECW series (and whatever bonus episodes crop up during the waits)

Hey guys, we're recording a special Q&A mailbag! Any questions for us? We'll read 'em out & answer them on the show :)

1522283_719303074755963_1665644096_n.png

Hey guys, we're recording a special Q&A mailbag! Any questions for us? We'll read 'em out & answer them on the show :)

Favourite Simpsons characters.
    Favourite video game all time.
    Least favourite PPV to review.
    Best impression of African Vince.
    What year does it cross from old school to new school?
    Please go through the whole foley comedy incident. I was there and would like to hear what you thought'
    WHHHAATT BAARRR is john Cena 2009-2013?

Feel free not to answer this but:

Do you FEAR the amount of nostalgia podcasts the WWE Network might inspire next year and beyond? Feel free to cut a promo on them if neccessary. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Decent show,the whatbar stuff and high pitched injokes are annoying tbh.The lad who always criticises moves for being dangerous is annoyingly smug too.Main host lad is grand though.

• Advertisement

I really want to know the Mick Foley comedy gig story

Advertisement