Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JayKHunter's OSW Review 99 - AEW Revolution 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭blackpotato

Aha. Season 2 of Total Divas has been totally spoiled now (Thank Jeebus!)
    I noticed the whole storyline episode they did with Jojo and Justin Gabriel didn't really do much to boost either's profile at all. I assume that money and the hope of a push are the reasons for doing that show.

Maybe "John Cena should join the Nexus" t-shirts could be a big seller in 2014 too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Yay!

Not sure showing if showing the Mass Transit incident unedit is going to do you favours, Jay. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Haven't finished yet but I'll make the connection between Sandman and Crocodile Dundalk!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Hope you guys enjoyed the new ep :)

I deliberated over the Mass Transit stuff but kept it for educational purposes! I'd never seen it prior to this review either. As well as Sasuke going dark knight an riding off on a motorbike

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Just watched it there. Fantastic stuff as usual. Never saw the Mass Transit footage before. Thanks for all your work and keeping going with the show.

• Advertisement

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Hope you guys enjoyed the new ep :)

I deliberated over the Mass Transit stuff but kept it for educational purposes! I'd never seen it prior to this review either. As well as Sasuke going dark knight an riding off on a motorbike

Just looking out for you and your channel so I say it good spirits. There's still a lot of parties who don't what that footage out there although nowhere near the extend of like 10 years ago. You know your audience better than I would but I would have put up a warning too.

Really enjoyed the show otherwise.

Ah yeah I appreciate it. I didn't see it elsewhere on YouTube but hopefully since it's only 40 seconds amidst a lot of other stuff, it won't be pulled. Is it WWE or others who'd want that footage down?

Ah yeah I appreciate it. I didn't see it elsewhere on YouTube but hopefully since it's only 40 seconds amidst a lot of other stuff, it won't be pulled. Is it WWE or others who'd want that footage down?

Yeah but moreso people involved in ECW directly and RF Video. At one stage it would have been Mass Transit's family but I think the statue of limitations is up and Mass Transit and his father are dead. You will probably be grand but at one stage that footage was as toxic as hell.

Hey, two questions about the new ep:
    1. What did ye think of V1 calling the matches?
    2. Did a more analytical/less silly episode alter overall enjoyment of the episode?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Hey, two questions about the new ep:
    1. What did ye think of V1 calling the matches?
    2. Did a more analytical/less silly episode alter overall enjoyment of the episode?

For both questions I could answer it was nice as a change of pace anyway.

Otherwise though I felt like V1 when he called the matches at least in comparison to yourself came off more like he was listing off a load of info in one big blurt as apposed to really calling the match. Don't mean to be critical though because he was fine generally and if anything that suited the first match where the point was that it was just one big line of moves minus the psychology. I guess it would take time though to feel natural doing it though as he isn't the host and obviously its easier for the host to take his time as apposed to the fellah told right here is your bit go!

Think I would overall prefer it a bit silly like usual but that could just be my personal preference and of course I feel you lads have been doing alright so far although like I said for variety sake its good and it does make the show stand out a bit more from others especially with it being the hardcore ECW that gets the serious tone.

Also liked how you guys were a bit less critical as like you said it would be very easy to lambast them for chair shots to the head etc but tbh nobody who wants to watch a review of an ECW ppv wants that cos at over 2hrs and with ECW being literally filled with such spots it could be quite a downer otherwise. Obviously the recklessness of some should be occasionally highlighted though

very enjoyable overall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

I didn't notice big change in tone. Still laughed and fond it a enjoyable watch. Some of the blood stuff is hard to see as have not watched much of that stuff in a long time. But don't think you guys were ever facetious in your review. I like V1 doing play by play.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

tbh re-reading mine it is more critical than deserved/intended with V1 as he was good in that role imo

I'd rather you be honest/critical as it's something I'll take on board for future reviews! It'd be unfair to expect Steve to be as polished as me (I don't mean that to sound conceited!) as I've 34 previous episodes experience. I also know that the podcast in general is like 90% me talking so I tried having the guys feature a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Coly5

Super job as always with the new ep. Thought V1 did a great job for the first time out! Mass Transit incident was an uncomfortable watch, but necessary I think.

The tone is slightly less silly as normal, but considering how different the in-ring action is (lots of blood/spot fests/sleaze/language etc) I think you guys did a great job having some levity in there! Its hard to crack jokes about the likes of New Jack, and a 53 year old wreck (Terry Funk) nearly topping himself -this ain't no Genius doing a cart wheel or Lex Luger drinking a glass of milk!

Really well done, looking forward to the rest of the ECW era!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Really enjoyed the Barely Legal review. Mass transit was very uncomfortable to watch (was my first time seeing it) can see why you included it though.

Glad you cleared up the Heyman BS aswell Jay! :P

Also more V1 doing the play by play. Thought he was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

only listened to two shows so far

Summerslam 1991

Summerslam 1992

And I've heard two of the silliest comments ever that Bulldog vs Bret was rubbish (I wanted to give a Daniel Bryan running knee to that Guy (I think his name is Stephen) just cause it had a few wrestling hold and not enough Rey Mysterio moves) and Bret/Perfect was "alright".

Apart from some of the low level humour (it's like a Carry on film sometimes), you guy's do a good job but knocking the Bret matches make me want to hate the show but it get's it just about right. Good Job.

Garseys wrote: »
    Glad you cleared up the Heyman BS aswell Jay! :P

He didn't really the loss of power story is true.

After the PPV was over Paul Heyman came out to addressed a hushed crowd in darkness without a microphone.

rovert wrote: »
    He didn't really the loss of power story is true. After the PPV was over Paul Heyman came out to addressed a hushed crowd in darkness without a microphone.

Are you certain it was in darkness? I know none of the microphones worked so he talked without one. Maybe the PPV truck lost power but not the building.

Are you certain it was in darkness? I know none of the microphones worked so he talked without one. Maybe the PPV truck lost power but not the building.

Seems like I misremembered the darkness detail but:
    The crowd then asked for a speech, and Paul asked for a few minutes, as he wanted to go in the back and address the boys. He then went out to the ring but due to them losing power to the PPV truck, they did not have a mic that worked. So he addressed the fans and thanked them for their support. Then a lot of the wrestlers came out and it was a nice scene, kind of reminiscent of when the cast comes out or bows after a play, and I mean that in the best possible way.

http://www.pwinsider.com/article/67599/ecws-barely-legal-15-years-later-heres-the-original-report.html?p=1

Garseys wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the Barely Legal review. Mass transit was very uncomfortable to watch (was my first time seeing it) can see why you included it though. Also more V1 doing the play by play. Thought he was very good.

Cheers! I thought V1 hadn't been getting enough chatter in during the shows lately so I had him call the matches.
    Looper007 wrote: »
    Apart from some of the low level humour (it's like a Carry on film sometimes), you guy's do a good job but knocking the Bret matches make me want to hate the show but it get's it just about right. Good Job.

Lol, you'll be happy to know OOC (rightly) got abuse over his Bret/Bulldog comments. V1 and especially myself fawned over it for at like 10 minutes surrounding that though! We always have a laugh together so hopefully you stick around and do too :)
    rovert wrote: »

Aha cheers. I knew the building was ok and the PPV finished fine/ran out of time so I assumed that was bollocks!

Was a bit annoyed finding out "we lost the PPV deal and the fans brought it back" was a lie - it was never off the table. (The PPV carrier only received about 50 calls. They were upset about not knowing about the Mass Transit incident whilst Heyman told reporters he sent them a tape.) He's a sneaky bee alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Another stellar show. I love when a new one comes out because it just fits my Sunday hangover spot perfectly. I boot the missus home and chill out with OSW crew. It's savage in that it gives a lead-in to the timeline (as in what's going on in the company, as well as in other Feds) and an aftermath. It doesn't just deal with the show itself.

Really looking forward to the Heatwave 98 Review.

Thank you brah!

If you have any points or anecdotes about Heatwave 98 post them here and I'll try incorporate them into the show. We're recording 2m.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Lol, you'll be happy to know OOC (rightly) got abuse over his Bret/Bulldog comments. V1 and especially myself fawned over it for at like 10 minutes surrounding that though! We always have a laugh together so hopefully you stick around and do too :)

I watched a few more episodes and have to say you guy's really work well together and had me laughing in some places. Watching all the Hogan era PPV's one thing you guy's made stand right out was how bad PPV's were back then for classic matches. So much Filler and rubbish steroid up wrestler's who gassed out after a minute.

I grew up during the New Generation time, so maybe it didn't do great business but you had HBK and Bret hart having classic's with Owen, Bulldog, Razor, Diesal, 1-2-3 kid and Taker. Give me that over any Hogan match and promo ( I'm Glad you don't like him either) although Jake the Snake and Macho Man stand head and above any wrestler in WWF at that time (the 80's era). Hope you do some reviews on PPV's during the New Generation period.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Hmmmm not so sure about this one.

Positives
    The editing was excellent as always. I liked the seamless switch from 4:3 grapplevision to a much higher quality picture used throughout.
    Informative as always.

Negatives
    ECW was already ****e at this point and the lack of product knowledge (ECW, not pro wrestling in general) from 2/3 of the presenting team really shows in this episode, even more so than the WCW episodes.
    Wasn't as funny as most episodes.

I'll keep watching, but I feel sticking to familiar source material would be best, major Attitude Era feuds (Austin/Rock WM Trilogy perhaps?) or the Smackdown Six Era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Sorry to hear bout the blocked vids Jayk. Chin up & don't ever let it put ya off it

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Jamie OD

At least they're still up on Vimeo. The Barely Legal review is the first episode I watched and it was great. Now spending the evening watching the Arquette Trilogy.

Thanks guys. Pretty sad about it. And even if I could get everything back up it'd take dozens and dozens of hours better spent on the next episode. They really cleansed YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Is there any way to have YouTube video as private and available via the link only? Could put the links up on Twitter, Facebook etc and without any tags there's a chaaaaance they might not get picked up?

The Yanks and the online feminist types don't get Irish swearing:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/1yn9dw/leave_osw_review_alone_wwe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Just pre-ordered your shirt Jay. Thanks for all the laughs on the show!

Advertisement