Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JayKHunter's OSW Review 99 - AEW Revolution 2021

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Watching/listening to SummerSlam 92. This is my third today after WM 8 and 9. These are really good. Ye must've put a fair bit of work in with the splicing of the old footage :)

Thanks Ape! Marathoning our stuff is a huge compliment :) Yeah they take ages to edit, it's why we're roughly a monthly show. Eats up all of my free time! The door's open for us to return to the New Gen Era (like KOTR95/IYH4) but we've a ton of stuff we want to do first! We've been wanting to do the next trio of shows for a while now :)
    cian68 wrote: »
    oh yes ready to rumble next. The only problem is I love that movie without irony and might be pissed when you mock it.

Em...eh... there's some positives to be had in the film!

I left it loading all day. Got a few cans there and I'm ready to get stuck in. Doink tribute is after setting me off already. :(

Sweet. Thanks for the reddit link as well! YT for me only downloads bits at a time, you can download the whole vid from YouTube by putting the link into keepvid.com! Glad you liked the Doink Tribute, I wasn't sure how people would react to it! As a massive Simpsons fan, it's the only thing I could think of.
    OSW Review 29 hurt my feelings. I can't believe you guys all love Crush! He ruined Demolition! [...]
    I'm glad you guys did 'Mania 9 instead! This all was around the time WWF had moved from Sky 1 to Sky Sports and for me, getting to see wrestling was getting to be damn near impossible around then.

It's more we love slagging OOC over Crush. He's a terrible gimmicked wrestler & promo! Same here about WWF moving to Sky Sports, it corresponded with the New Gen Era and so it's the only time I fell out with wrestling (until getting it back for the 96/97 premier league season!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

same venue that wee barry came unstuck 9 years earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭blackpotato

Yep, I loved this show. Not the actual show, I mean the review. 10 out of 10 for the tribute to Doink. It was very cool. I remember some of the gimmicks from back then and how much I hated them at the time, but with the benefit of hindsight, some of them seem cool now. Doink is a good example of that. Plus I watched a fairly recent Doink match from the indy circuit and some old geezer in the crowd got really upset with Doink and the way Doink handled it was very cool and well done. It's on youtube as doink the clown vs angry fan.
    I think I had suppressed the memory of what happened in Wrestlemania 9. This was the show that turned me off watching wrestling for years. I think I caught an episode a few months after this one Saturday night and had found out the binmen are good (Duke the Dumpster Droese) and dentists are bad (Issac Yankem D.D.S.) and decided "I'm too old for this nonsense" and pretty much went from being obsessed with wrestling in the late 80's to done with it by 1993. It's worth mentioning that I do turn 40 later this year so seeing Wrestlemania 2 when I was 12 was cool, seeing this when I was 19 was less cool.
    The segment you did on Brutus Beefcake was awesome! I recently heard an interview with Steve Corino from ROH where he is down and sad after retelling all the times he nearly got a big break in wrestling and made a lot of money and at the end of his tales he says "The worst thing is, I bet Beefcake gets more money at conventions now than I do for taking bumps in the ring" after which he sighs and says "Fluich my luck" although I had to alter that for swear-filter reasons.
    I will be honest, the very 1st time I saw Hulk Hogan when I knew no better, I liked him. By the 2nd or 3rd time I seen him, I was tired of his gimmick already and I had learned to cheer heels because they at least got to whale on him for a bit before he hulked up. Every Hogan match looked the same to me and I'll put the Ultimate Warrior in that same category. Man I hated the Warrior. To me he was new Hulk Hogan, the 2nd coming.
    Jesse Ventura seemed to genuinely hate Hogan and that was good enough for me!
    Lex Luger, he was huge in every way. The 1st PWI I ever read had Luger on the front cover before I had a clue what the N.W.A. was. I'd seen some of him in W.C.W. as their champion and again, he wasn't my cup of tea. Most of my favourite matches were anything with Bret or Savage, and I was a huge fan of tag matches with proper tag teams too. Hogan was just this thing to be endured at the end of the show. Little has changed in 2013. I watch a WWE ppv up to the Cena match and pretty much pause that and keep it for later on because I know it'll bore me senseless.
    I'm not actually mad at the comments made about Lex giving Perfect his best ever match, I disagree with them, but I'd imagine some folks will be horrified with those sentiments. The stuff said about Luger being better than Hennig works well as a heel promo!
    This OSW review was so funny and good, that I wouldn't want anything negative I say about Wrestlemania 9 to be confused with the fact that I loved the review.
    Every single point you guys made about Hogan is fair and in no way harsh and I'm glad that Vince McMahon cops a lot of the blame for this total cluster****. The points made about "The Rules" and how they change from match to match are 100% representative of my views.
    I'd never seen that clip of Hogan burying the WWF title and saying he wants Muta's belt before. It really did infuriate me.

A little off the point but when Hogan joined TNA, I'd watched a year end special of Impact where it was Knockouts for the entire show and I'd enjoyed it.
    Then a few weeks later, Hogan and Bischoff are running the show, Awesome Kong is gone, the Nasty Boys are back and I pretty much couldn't watch TNA for a year. A show I'd grown to like off the back of seeing Joe vs Styles vs Daniels. A show I'd watched weekly for a few years to avoid seeing Ranny Orhen (That's what Vickie Guerrero calls Orton) and Roidtista and SuperCena and secret general managers for a few years was ruined for me by Hogan joining. The few weeks where I was able to watch it, I was like "Aah, so that's how they killed WCW."
    In TNA Hogan got rid of Chris Daniels and Jay Lethal to name just some. I think Mick Foley just saw what way the wind was blowing and ran from TNA voluntarily. They got rid of the 6 sided ring which was cool when they had 8 cruiserweights doing highflying spots all the time for an opening match and fitting the motto of Total Nonstop Action. Oh and of course his money-pit-daughter who has never shown any interest in wrestling prior to being given a job as an on-screen character is part of the show now too. I think TNA could use the money that they pay the Hogans so much more wisely. Seeing this review actually reminded me how much I don't like this guy.
    The weird thing is, TNA are now doing Impact in front of bigger crowds than they ever had in the studio they used in Florida and these fans all do give Hogan a big reaction when he comes out. They even have to have a flat ramp to the ring because the old ramp was so steep, it was too much work for Hogan to walk on it with his busted up back. I put any rise in popularity that TNA has now compared to 4 years ago down to having no Vince Russo more than having Hogan on board.
    Yep Randy Savage, as much as I loved him, hearing him on commentary only reminded me that he should be in the ring. Roddy Piper was a terrible commentator too but I loved some of Pipers promos. Today they let different guys try out on Saturday Morning Slam and Main Event and Superstars. Some guys might be good at it. Ziggler and Rhodes show potential. Santino was perfect for Saturday Morning Slam. William Regal on NXT is just brilliant. Even Alex Riley seems ok on Superstars compared to Matt Stryker, so who do they let do the most commentary on the smaller shows? The Miz. The Fuppin' Miz.

P.S. I never spotted Wurzel once until you guys caught him. I usually catch him quickly but well done.

p.p.s. "On a personal note to Hulk Hogan, you are a household word, but so is garbage. And it stinks when it gets old too" - Jim Cornette.

P.P.P.S. I grew up on World Of Sport Wrestling on ITV on Saturdays. I loved it but I was so young. Hulk Hogan was definitely a step up from Big Daddy as the top babyface when WWF came to Irish screens. That's the nicest thing I can say about Hogan though. Man I hated Big Daddy....

(Itch Ban / Hulk Hogan) <<< Put that in youtube and it's funny. It's not as funny as OSW review 30 but it made me chuckle. Thanks for the show boys, :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Giant Gonzalez suit always used to remind me of Sabretooth from the X-Men animated series

512547-s49_super.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Am still working my way through the back catalogue of podcasts :) The WrestleMania III one was very good. I didn't enjoy the Survivor Series 1987 one that much which is probably due to the format of the PPV more than the podcast itself, ye filled it with some good anecdotes and that.

I didn't think there was that much of a difference in run time between the SilverVision Tagged Classics and the Anthology versions outside of the first two Survivor Series, first two Manias, SummerSlam 1992 and Royal Rumble 89. Was it mainly backstage and promo stuff cut or would it be down to a different frame rate or something?

Edit: Someone should do a compilation tape of Vlad the Superfan :D

77B9RS.jpg

Have watched about 8 of these bad boys. Q: where is Survivor Series 1992, Royal Rumble 1993 and King of the Ring 1993? The latter at least has Hogan.

Am looking forward to Slamboree 00. Think I still have it on Vhs. Those 2000 WCW PPVs were so dreadful, Slamboree might actually be a highlight since it is at least memorable.

Have watched about 8 of these bad boys. Q: where is Survivor Series 1992, Royal Rumble 1993 and King of the Ring 1993? The latter at least has Hogan.

Ha, that's great! It's explained at the end of episodes 28/29 - the Hulkamania Era finished with 1992's WrestleMania VII so we did one after that, the last big stadium show (SummerSlam 92) as a send off. Episode 30 was a fan-voted episode from 10 options which happened to be Mania IX. It's not related to episode 29 if that makes sense.
    Am looking forward to Slamboree 00. Think I still have it on Vhs. Those 2000 WCW PPVs were so dreadful, Slamboree might actually be a highlight since it is at least memorable.

I never got to see WCW beyond a few nitro tapes my bro brought over so I'm really looking forward to seeing "free-fall" WCW! It's something referenced a lot but rarely covered.

I didn't think there was that much of a difference in run time between the SilverVision Tagged Classics and the Anthology versions outside of the first two Survivor Series, first two Manias, SummerSlam 1992 and Royal Rumble 89. Was it mainly backstage and promo stuff cut or would it be down to a different frame rate or something?

Practically every PPV has a different runtime between home video and actual PPV - I didn't keep a running tally but they're in every episode :) it's more pronounced in the earlier shows where the home video where a 3 hour PPV was culled to fit into a 2 hour tape, but even in 92/93 there's still differences. Usually Silvervision'd have extra backstage segments (and maybe missing other promos) and cut entrances (especially at Survivor Series), and sometimes cut matches, real themes, no WWF muting but poor video quality.

Like 1993's WrestleMania IX home video : contains Half hour pre-show, Sherri/Luna, 2 Doinks and Bret Hart interview extra segment. However it's rare SV would have a longer run-time, that only happened with SummerSlam 92 & WM IX for us, otherwise it's missing anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour! Both Anthology & Home video versions edit out some botches though, only found on the live PPV airing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I never got to see WCW beyond a few nitro tapes my bro brought over so I'm really looking forward to seeing "free-fall" WCW! It's something referenced a lot but rarely covered.

Ever give any thought to covering Hogan's quasi-Hulkamania/pre-NWO days in WCW? It is a patchy product, but Hulkster's antics are an absolute mine of comedy gold; as though he was told to go out and parody his WWF run, but didn't actually nail down the notion of irony.

• Advertisement

It's something I'd like to cover at some point, like those odd little films they spent buckets of money on to promote feuds. Tons of stuff we wanna do first!

Am kinda wondering how ye will cover a WCW show since some of the in-jokes like Worzel aren't there. Although, obviously there'll be a bunch of stupid WCW stuff to laugh at. Some of the 2000 WCW PPVs were put out on video tape by Warner Bros so they were plenty available for a good few years. They're largely bereft of heat or anything interesting from what I remember. Souled Out 2000 was a particular cluster****, can remember reading an indepth article in Powerslam way back when on how screwed up WCW was at the time due to injuries, egos and contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Great episode as always. I was at an Indy show last night and one lad came out with a clown gimmick, I happily jumped to my feet shouting "Doink Brah!"

Quick idea for the next show, much like the art contest where the winner was featured and got a shirt, how about a Michael Buffer ready to rumble comp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Have you got a list of episodes for this as the youtube channel I went to had 3/4 vids.
    Is it a bit like Botchamania in the sense they do be taken down and reposted.

The OSW review Vimeo page has all the episodes I think and the OSW Facebook page has the episodes listed chronilogically.

H_H : Ha! Doink brah! That great. Did he make kids cry brah? What did u have in mind for this competition?

GTR : http://Vimeo.OSWreview.com is the link to all of our shows although you can find everything from 89 onwards on youtube at http://YouTube.OSWreview.com

jaykhunter wrote: »
    H_H : Ha! Doink brah! That great. Did he make kids cry brah? What did u have in mind for this competition?

Nah brah! He just looked rediculous brah.
    The main idea was get fans to submit video/audio of them saying "LETS GET READY TO RUMBAAAAAAAL" and winner gets theirs shown at the start of the review or gets a prize.

Am watching the 1970s episode of the Legends of Wrestling roundtable discussion and Mean Gene says that Wurzel could draw heat just by standing in the ring.

Wurzel brah! Heatseeker brah!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

Another great show lads. Todd Pettingill looks like he should be presenting Jo-Maxi!!

Total Divas! [#31]

It's broadway with bodyslams, a reality show looking at the lives, trials & tribulations of 7 WWE Divas!
    Featuring the Bellas chopping wood, Ariene aka Mrs. "Melina vs Alicia Fox" and Trinity's cookie!
    Also, a "Girls Gone Wild" horror parody starring Jerry Lawler!

mw0u.jpg

WATCH : YouTube31.OSWreview.com
    EVERY EPISODE : OSWreview.com

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

That's a really good idea given how popular and pass remarkable it is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

ha! did I cause this? remember commenting after the first ep aired that it could be comedy gold if the OSW review boyos did an episode of this for the laugh

think im gonna enjoy re-watching this

ha! did I cause this? remember commenting after the first ep aired that it could be comedy gold if the OSW review boyos did an episode of this for the laugh. think im gonna enjoy re-watching this

Yeah! I'd considered it but when I saw your post, I asked Steve and he was game, so voila!

So very funny!
    I've actually seen this show. I saw The Wrestling Road Diaries a few weeks ago and I was curious to see pre-WWE Daniel Bryan compared to how he is now because I thought it would be interesting.
    Having watched 3 episodes of this show, I am curious whether or not Vince will show up in any episodes. By that I mean Vince McMahon as opposed to Vincent (not Virgil) or mini Ryback (so funny!) I thought that dude looked like a cross between a Romanian and a schlong and I would have loved to see him even talking to big Brodus.
    The only thing I might have disagreed with is that I think a reality show of Divas from yesteryear would have been awesome with Mae Yung and Moolah in it!
    I think the only thing in women's wrestling that I enjoy is Gail Kim giving chicks figure 4 leglocks around the ring post every week on TNA, I would love to hear the names that people come up with for that move.
    I think every point you guys made about Nattie would fit in with what I think of her too.
    The rest of your show was just hilarious! :)

Thanks mate. Would you guys be interested in another review episode maybe at the end of the season or have you had your fill of Total Divas? At some point we'll have a few weeks between main episodes so we're considering it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Do every episode tbh!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

now that I know how influential I am :cool::pac: I guess I should respond to that question with a simple D.Bryan style Yes, Yes, Yes. Any extra OSW reviews between main episodes is a good thing imo

It'd be a shame to start this thing and not finish it. Besides it's "better than Smackdown!"

A little off the point, but OSW review made fun of WWE using Haliburton cases for over 20 years with IRS and Money In The Bank, and then Damien Sandow gets a new case that isn't a Haliburton. Coincidence? Probably, but lets say it's not.

I've been trying to convince a mate of mine to watch the show for ages. He tried with episode one, but he was turned off by the early days quality. He caved when I told him about the latest show and well, this was our reactions:

(He later said the s#it comment was a joke)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Lost it on whatever was bleeped out of the Total Divas show.

Advertisement