Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Biology Higher level 2011 * (one thread please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭crayon1

A vector is a carrier of a virus!

For the dicot stem you could just use celery and the result is that you can see the different tissues i.e. vascular, dermal and ground!

What is an energized electron?
    Ammmm is it that it has high energy? Like the ones used to convert ADP + P to ATP

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Cydoniac wrote: »
    1. Do we have to know what they are? Thought you just referred to them when talking about genetic engineering

It's a question some where anyway. The last month i've done every question possible.
    6. If you use the potassium iodide method, it should go a yellow-green I think.
    Can somebody confirm this? sorry.
    Sorry if these aren't accurate. You've kind of scared me because I didn't really know all of these myself when I should :o

Thanks a million, sorry for scaring ya :o

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

Gavarn wrote: »
    So I was studying Human reproduction for tomorrow when I came across this:

"During the period of pregnancy testosterone causes the development of primary male sex characteristics. These include the development of the penis and the other male reproductive parts." - http://leavingbio.net/HUMAN%20REPRODUCTION-WEB.htm

:eek:

I'm never going to get a woman pregnant! :p

that does not make sense bro

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

for the last one i have brown to yellow
    in another book its red to yellow

red and brown are round about the same colour

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭crayon1

Test for alcohol using potassium iodide and sodium hypo-chloride goes from Brown-orange to pale yellow crystals!

Potassium dichromate + sulphuric acid goes from orange to green!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Gavarn

NotExactly wrote: »
    Can somebody confirm this? sorry.

"To Test For Alcohol
    -1. Filter the yeast solution from the conical flask
    -2. Add 3 drops of the solution to 3 drops of potassium iodide and 3 drops of sodium hypochloride solution, warm gently (note it is brown in colour).

Result: The presence of pale yellow crystals shows that alcohol has been produced."

In my revision book. :)

if i do not do well in this exam..i am going to cry!! :(

i hope this comes up now because we would all know it so well :D

brownlad wrote: »
    that does not make sense bro

Yeah I know it's just what they wrote on that study page.

I thought it was funny :p

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

The important thing about the potassium iodide and sodium hypoclorite is that it contains pale yellow crystals... It may go brown orange first of all but when put in a hot water bath, pale yellow crystals appear

Energised electrons are like what are found in the chlorophyll molecule when light is passed through the pigments... The light energises existing electrons and they go around 1 of 2 pathways, losing energy as they go around... They return as low energy electrons or in non cyclic they combine with NADP+ to form NADP-, then H+ combines with that to form NADPH etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

NotExactly wrote: »
    I posted this in the Biology thread and I got no answer :o
    But anyway.. I have a few questions

Ecology
    I was missing for parts of Ecology. I studied grassland though, can somebody please give me a list of the flora and fauna and anything else on the Biology course that isn't in the book. Thanks. Oh and is it just for ecology that we study different things?

Genetic engineering
    What are vectors?
    the plasmid carrying the target gene

What is an anticodon?
    an mrna has a codon(three bases E.G A,T,G ) trna has anticodon ( T,A,C)

What is the name of the plant(herbaceous stem) in the experiment to examine a transverse section of a dicot stem & what is the result?

What is a polar nuclei? (marking scheme says in embryo sack?)
    2polar nuclei that join with male gamete to form triploid endosperm
    What is an energized electron?
    electron that has been given light energy
    Where would you be expected to find an active site?
    on an enzyme
    What colour does alchohol go? Does this sound right. Adding potassium iodide and sodium hypochloride goes from pale red to pale yellow?
    orange to green
    EDIT: I just found a Biology to do list in my room and found more questions sorry,

What is a plant tissue? ground, vascular, dermal, meristematic
    What is a triplet?three bases
    It's role and an example? already given

I'm sorry if these are in the book I can't seem to find them.
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭r0cks0l1dd

What do you need to know. I have an old book so it gives WAY too much information on it.

Also, I wouldn't do too much on Protein Synthesis. It came up last year so the chances are slim.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Gavarn wrote: »
    I'm never going to get a woman pregnant! :p
    I assure you that you'll find it much tougher to get a man pregnant! :D

I assure you that you'll find it much tougher to get a man pregnant! :D

I don't plan on trying! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

so its actually potassium iodide , thats not a spelling mistake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

so its actually potassium iodide , thats not a spelling mistake?
    That's the one, yeah.

Is everyone else ok for the long questions , cus im done for with um
    may just ask for the pass paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭GregoryNimmo

I am actually to tired to study this. I know bits and bobs and have never failed a test... But seriously want to do well, but just ...too...tired and don't know whether to sleep cause you know when you wake up and all you wanna do is go back to sleep haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Is everyone else ok for the long questions , cus im done for with um
    may just ask for the pass paper
    Don't give up unless you're failing the Higher Level already.

Barely Passed the pre paper ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭emma123abc

There's not much difference between the honours and ordinary level paper... just a tiny bit more detail in honours and one of the experimemts isnt on the ordinary level paper...

So you're better off sticking with honours because a C3 is the same as an A in honours, but it'd be harder to get the passA than the honoursC

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

if you really think there's a good chance you'll fail, take the ordinary

if not, go for higher brah

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I have just decided to take the OL paper... there is a huge chance I will fail the HL paper and I'd rather just take whatever points I can get in OL than end up getting no points.

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    if you really think there's a good chance you'll fail, take the ordinary

if not, go for higher brah

see im not sure cos going into my pree i didnt know sweet f all experiments and basically got no points for section B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

r0cks0l1dd wrote: »
    What do you need to know. I have an old book so it gives WAY too much information on it.

Also, I wouldn't do too much on Protein Synthesis. It came up last year so the chances are slim.

The dark stage is the light INdependent stage, not dependent stage. It can function with light but it is not necessary.

What you need to know is what it uses - the products of the light dependent stage, which are ATP and NADPH. ATP breaks down to ADP + P to provide the energy for the reaction, and NADPH breaks down to electrons, protons and NADP.

The electrons, protons, and CO2 (from respiration or from the atmosphere) join to form glucose. Final products of the dark stage are glucose (used in respiration) and NADP and ADP+P (both return to be used in the light stage).

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭galwayman17..

G.J. wrote: »
    Damn, I was always taught that it was a pH of 6-7 for humans and around 8-9 for plants. Sorry about that! >.<

you are forgiven!;)

xaoifsx wrote: »
    if i do not do well in this exam..i am going to cry!! :(

if what i have studied on this course does not come up tomorrow i will too cry! :(:(

I am actually to tired to study this. I know bits and bobs and have never failed a test... But seriously want to do well, but just ...too...tired and don't know whether to sleep cause you know when you wake up and all you wanna do is go back to sleep haha

2 spoons a coffee.... 1 sugar.... milk ..... buzzin! time to study!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 nanor92

I presume most people are asleep.. but does anyone have all the biology definitions typed up? want to have quick read over them before I go in tomorrow, in the hope I remember some of them.:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

nanor92 wrote: »
    I presume most people are asleep.. but does anyone have all the biology definitions typed up? want to have quick read over them before I go in tomorrow, in the hope I remember some of them.:o

Check the backs of your biology book or revision book. Theres usually a list of definitions. Good luck tomorrow! :)

Advertisement