Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Biology Higher level 2011 * (one thread please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Know unit 1 and 2 really well and you can get 80%

And add human reproduction I think you can get an A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Catacomb

Know unit 1 and 2 really well

This

I got an A2 in my mocks with only those two studied, (although I had a fair understanding of the rest). I know someone who only read the summaries of the chapters and a few random experiments the night before the mocks and got a b1. In fairness biology is easy to get an 'A', because all the people who aren't that good in school tend to choose it as there science subject instead of chemistry or physics lowering the expected standard of the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Rudiger7

Learn everything in great detail because it's the small details that the examiners are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tillyod

The experiments our teacher tipped for us was pH and enzyme activity, osmosis + pulse rate together, ecology and respiration (alcohol). I know theres more than three there!! I reacon ecretion will make an appearance but we're all only guessing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Just look over all your answers the afternoon before (tomorrow) as samples.

I find it hard to write lots of Biology questions and notes again so just recap everything you've learned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 EsteemedEntity

Apparently excretion, particularly the kidneys and nephron, are likely to appear. Make sure you can draw that diagram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

Just finished Human reproduction and Ecology Revision
    As fr practicals call me nuts im only studying 5 total
    wondering what else would be wise to revise besides Photosynthesis and Respiration

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ILoveSummerx

I dont do genetics :( Im screwed and i need a C1/B3 ya think i could get that? Got a C2 in the mocks ..but thats cos the paper was ok! :/ ugh i day to learn everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ILoveSummerx

Iceboy wrote: »
    learn these off and you will be fine (honours only)

These are in order of importance, given by Eoin something can't remember his second name, he is the guy who passed a record 27 subjects last year

LONG QUESTIONS:

1) Genetics
    2) Ecology
    3) Urinary System
    4) Respiration
    5) Human Reproduction

6) Viruses
    7) Skeleton
    8) Osmosis
    9) Breathing System

10) Xylem, Phloem, Transportation
    11) Food/Nutrients
    12) Heart/Blood/Lymph

SHORT QUESTIONS:

1) Food Nutrients
    2) Ecology
    3) Respiration
    4) Mitosis
    5) Scientific Method
    6) Human Reproduction
    7) Digestive System
    8) Photosynthesis
    9) Blood and Blood Vessels
    10) Xylem , Phloem, Transportation
    11) Respiration
    12) Liver

EXPERIMENTS:

remember these are in order of importance

*Never been asked before
    1) Investigate effect of excercise on pulse or breathing rate
    2) To Demonstrate Osmosis
    3) Examine Plant Cells Under Microscope
    4) Use instruments to collect animals in an Ecosystem
    5) Test for Starch

*Have been asked before
    1) Effect of Temperature on enzyme action
    2) Effect of Ph on Enzymes
    3) Use Yeast to Produce Ethanol
    4) Isolate DNA from a Plant
    5) Show Factors Essential for Seed Germination
    6) Investigate growth of leaf yeast
    7) View TS of dicto stem
    8) Interperet ecological keys
    9) Test for protein / test for reducing sugar
    10) Show digestive activity during germintation
    11) Immobilise an enzyme

If you know this this stuff, you will be sorted for Biology Honours ;)
    This like the whole book :-( how am i meant to do that in a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cobear

I'm learning photosynthesis and respiration because a question usually comes up on that - or part of one anyways - enzymes too! I dont think respiration came up last year at all so it could be worth looking at that! Nutrition, human and plant reproduction are always good things to learn too! best of luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

I'm not advertising or anything but these are 2 quizzes I made when I should have been studying! Science Education here I come :D

http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=leaving-cert-biology_2

http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=quiz-2-leaving-cert-biology

I dont do genetics :( Im screwed and i need a C1/B3 ya think i could get that? Got a C2 in the mocks ..but thats cos the paper was ok! :/ ugh i day to learn everything!

I dont do genetics neither , it bores me senseless

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Anybody know what experiments came up on the DEB mock this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭AislingMarie

Advice please I'm not very confident in genetics but the rest I am.
    I'm so relaxed from now on as I love the rest of my subjects!
    I need an A1 in Biol and always get them in tests but I don't do genetics.
    Is it possible?

Very possible , just gotta know the plants or a substitution that is just as prominent throughout the papers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭GerardB

Is it possible?

possibly- but it is in unit 2, one of the most important units...
    depends on the paper, but know genetic crosses at the very least

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Is it possible?

Of course you can. You have a choice in all sections of the Biology paper..

Though that said, you're limiting your long questions choice from 4/6 to 4/5.

Do you think i could get a high grade without knowing plant reproduction ?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

I'm going for an A1, we didn't do it in class and I have no clue about it. A full question came up on it last year, so highly highly unlikely it won't return. I mean it didn't come up for a few years before last year. And you can always avoid it, and if it did come up which I doubt it will, it'll be in q.14 or 15 I'd say so you can avoid it and do the other 2 parts of the question!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sketchz700

For biology if i cover ecology,urinary system,fmale reproduction viruses skeleton osmosis breathing fod transpiration heart photosynthesis? and for exps: osmosis,ecology,isolate dna digestive actitivity during germaination

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jawn

Nobody knows what that'll get you.
    Sure, everything above could come up and you'll get an A1.

You should be alright though!

So far I've studied photosynthesis and respiration and the exp for respiration then studied ecology , human reproduction , enzymes and 2 exps for enzymes and just need to go over diagrams tho
    I intend to study breathing and extraction of dan experiment but is there anything else I should Study to garauntee a high grade

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

purple27 wrote: »
    Yeah, Unit 1 is Food, Ecology, Scientific Method, Characteristics of Life. Unit 2 is The Cell, so stuff like cell structure, cell division, enzymes, diffusion and osmosis, photosyntheis, respiration, DNA, RNA, genetics, variation and evolution.
    The good stuff!
    Some of Unit 3 is really handy though D:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Yes, anything is easily avoidable if you're just leaving out ONE topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

Im also leaving out Genetics, just never got my head around that stuff, hopefully I can still manage an A :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭galwayman17..

guys there are comments from people at 3a.m.? i realy dont know how ye are stickin the pace? like unless biology is your last exam then thats understandable but i did that for my first 3 exams and i was wrecked for the weekend?

also do you guys think that the characteristics of life or scientific method will come up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭szybki

guys there are comments from people at 3a.m.? i realy dont know how ye are stickin the pace? like unless biology is your last exam then thats understandable but i did that for my first 3 exams and i was wrecked for the weekend?

also do you guys think that the characteristics of life or scientific method will come up?

I think It may come up as characteristics of life did not come up at all and sientific method ... is quite important chapter in unit 1..... and they used to ask about it recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Is it worth learning the kidney in detail at this stage? What about the Krebs cycle?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Is it worth learning the kidney in detail at this stage? What about the Krebs cycle?
    I'd say so. They're always popular questions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭OldSchool94

Really need your help on this one :( ...Need to pass biology h.l whether I like it or not! I have failed every single test given to me in biology simply because I did zero study at all and I left out the short questions section and experiments!

Can everybody that see's this give me a short list of things that I should study today and tomorrow morning which will cover the questions I want to answer to get around a c3! :)

Including genetics by the way! Thanks a million!

Advertisement