Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Biology Higher level 2011 * (one thread please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Besides the photosynthesis/resp questions and the genetics stuff, how is the rest of the paper for you?

Worst case scenario would be having 3 long questions involving those topics. There are still 3 others, with one being ecology. The genetics and photosynthesis experiments themselves don't need any knowledge of the chapters, except in the part A of the experiment, which is usually just definitions.

Even if you can't understand genetics, I'd say learn the definitions, alleles, genes, etc. You can afford to leave out 1 topic if you want so if you can't learn photo/resp, don't bother, put your time into something else :)

Thank you. :) I really needed it put into perspective a bit because I was seriously starting to panic. I'm not great at the other topics (missed an insane amount of school due to an illness) but I think if I at least read over everything tonight I should be able to maintain enough to put it back down on the paper tomorrow. I've been stressing so much over photosynthesis and respiration etc that I haven't covered much else, so I think I'll just give them a rest and hope for the best?

I think I'd be throwing away too many points by dropping down to pass at the stage. Oh well, here goes nothing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

for the nitrogen cycle bacteria is involved in every stage e.g. stage 1 - nitrogen fixation is brought about the use of nitrogen fixing bacteria either living in the soil or the root nodules of the legume (clover)

then you do that for the other 3 main headings (decomposition, nitrification and denitrification). but use the names of the bacterium used in these stages not the same bacteria used in stage 1!

Ah so basically just a short introduction and then 4 definitions then? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭galwayman17..

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Is it worth learning the kidney in detail at this stage? What about the Krebs cycle?

yeah man im learning it here now. well i was :rolleyes:.

if you can draw the nephon and label it in reasonable detail then that enough deail? like the labels will make up loads a sentences to talk about and also it will make it easier to learn!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭galwayman17..

biggaman wrote: »
    Ah so basically just a short introduction and then 4 definitions then? :D
    well ya a short intro, diagram with notes, then underneath a note on each part! id do the carbon too but im actually doing abita study now cuz iv alot to do for tonight!

sorry man!:D:D

well ya a short intro, diagram with notes, then underneath a note on each part! id do the carbon too but im actually doing abita study now cuz iv alot to do for tonight!

sorry man!:D:D
    Haha its grand I've a fair idea what to do now anyway for it :P
    Cheers :D
    And yeah the nephron you just need the diagram, labels and what happens at each place.. easy once ye know the diagram :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

You wouldn't have any insightful advice on what way/how to go about learning the carbon and nitrogen cycle, would you? :D

Unfortunately no, that would be the topic that I left out when I did the exam ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

seriously ocnsidering dropping to pass these long questions are slaughtering me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

For genetics:

Do I have to use a punnit square if I'm not asked the frequency? Can I just write our the gametes and the F1 Gen then?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭G.J.

a pH of 9 is not the optimum temperature for plants. its 6 - 7 because its neutral. you use a pH of 9 (and a pH of 4 in another cylinder) to show the effect pH has on the enzyme, you use the buffer to vary the pH.

you will then see the different amounts of foam in each cylinder and thats your experiment!. hope that helps!!:D:D

Damn, I was always taught that it was a pH of 6-7 for humans and around 8-9 for plants. Sorry about that! >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

Anyone know how important specific quantities are in the part Bs? Like would "add hydrogen peroxide" get less marks than say, "add 5cm^3 of Hydrogen peroxide"?

Also- we didn't do the nitrogen cycle... is it important enough to warrant spending time on it in the morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

njd2010 wrote: »
    Anyone know how important specific quantities are in the part Bs? Like would "add hydrogen peroxide" get less marks than say, "add 5cm^3 of Hydrogen peroxide"?

Also- we didn't do the nitrogen cycle... is it important enough to warrant spending time on it in the morning?

nah you dont have to know what ml of chemicals your adding:)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

I'm starting to freak out now..I don't have time to do all the systems in one night. I was so stupid to leave biol to last minute but yeah, what should I do?? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fleeflyfloflum

G.J. wrote: »
    Damn, I was always taught that it was a pH of 6-7 for humans and around 8-9 for plants. Sorry about that! >.<

I am not a LC this year (thankfully) but according to my book 9 is the optimum pH for Catalase...couldn't bare not to contribute.

Best of luck tomorrow to you all! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

cocopopsxx wrote: »
    I'm starting to freak out now..I don't have time to do all the systems in one night. I was so stupid to leave biol to last minute but yeah, what should I do?? :(
    You're best going through a revision book (have you got one?)

Cydoniac wrote: »
    You're best going through a revision book (have you got one?)

No, I don't even have a revision book. :(
    Can I like leave stuff out and still be able to do 4 questions in section C, like someone above did say that 3 questions come up from sections 1 and 2, and I know that, so if I do reproduction and excretion from section 3, will I be risking it?

njd2010 wrote: »

Ecology is an annual guaranteed question. Nitrogen Cycle hasn't appeared since '07. I'd say there's a pretty good chance it'll appear!

It's a bitch to learn get your head around what to learn at first, but when you write it down it's actually not that bad! I just done that there now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭G.J.

I am not a LC this year (thankfully) but according to my book 9 is the optimum pH for Catalase...couldn't bear not to contribute.

Best of luck tomorrow to you all! :)

Yay, thank you! :)

I was looking everywhere in my book and couldn't find anything on it, we did the catalase one as an 'easier to measure' experiment.

No, I don't even have a revision book. :(
    Can I like leave stuff out and still be able to do 4 questions in section C, like someone above did say that 3 questions come up from sections 1 and 2, and I know that, so if I do reproduction and excretion from section 3, will I be risking it?

Well human reproduction is usually a guaranteed question for section 3, so if you know unit 1 + 2 and that, you could be lucky. Theres other predictions from unit 3 too, I'm going with most of unit 1 + 2 and then a few topics from unit 3 due up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 adler

I hope that Plant reproduction is a sub q that can be avoided. I think its the hardest chapter, with all that diploid, haploid, nuclei, motherspore cells things going on...female reproductive parts to draw are tipped considering male has kept appearing, plant responses, skeletal, enzyme experiments, respiration and/or photosynthesis, genetics,
    its quite hard to predict, as the course is so large but thinking that reproduction, genetics, respiration/photosynthesis and enzymes are a must to learn. Good luck tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭terryincork

Can someone list what experiments are highly tipped to come up? :(

• Advertisement

Can someone list what experiments are highly tipped to come up? :(

Also, there are between 20 & 25 experiments on the course. These 16 are most likely to be asked in June. (The ones written in italics have never been asked before!):-

1. Investigate effect of exercise on pulse or breathing rate
    2. To demonstrate Osmosis
    3. Examine Plant cells under microscope
    4. Use instruments to collect animals in an ecosystem
    5. Test for Starch

6. Effect of temperature on enzyme action
    7. Effect of PH on Enzymes
    8. Use Yeast to produce Ethanol
    9. Isolate DNA from a plant (onion)
    10. Show factors essential for seed germination
    11. Investigate growth of leaf yeast
    12. View TS of Dicot Stem
    13. Interpret Ecological keys
    14. Test for protein / Test for Reducing sugar
    15. Show Digestive Activity during Germination
    16. Immobilize an Enzyme

From Eoin Jackson's prediction!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭terryincork

Also, there are between 20 & 25 experiments on the course. These 16 are most likely to be asked in June. (The ones written in italics have never been asked before!):-

1. Investigate effect of exercise on pulse or breathing rate
    2. To demonstrate Osmosis
    3. Examine Plant cells under microscope
    4. Use instruments to collect animals in an ecosystem
    5. Test for Starch

6. Effect of temperature on enzyme action
    7. Effect of PH on Enzymes
    8. Use Yeast to produce Ethanol
    9. Isolate DNA from a plant (onion)
    10. Show factors essential for seed germination
    11. Investigate growth of leaf yeast
    12. View TS of Dicot Stem
    13. Interpret Ecological keys
    14. Test for protein / Test for Reducing sugar
    15. Show Digestive Activity during Germination
    16.Immobilize an Enzyme

From Eoin Jackson's prediction!

Cheers bosco. The ones in italics arent exactly the hardest experiments so fingers crossed..

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

I posted this in the Biology thread and I got no answer :o
    But anyway.. I have a few questions

Ecology
    I was missing for parts of Ecology. I studied grassland though, can somebody please give me a list of the flora and fauna and anything else on the Biology course that isn't in the book. Thanks. Oh and is it just for ecology that we study different things?

Genetic engineering
    What are vectors?

What is an anticodon?

What is the name of the plant(herbaceous stem) in the experiment to examine a transverse section of a dicot stem & what is the result?

What is a polar nuclei? (marking scheme says in embryo sack?)

What is an energized electron?

Where would you be expected to find an active site?

What colour does alchohol go? Does this sound right. Adding potassium iodide and sodium hypochloride goes from pale red to pale yellow?

EDIT: I just found a Biology to do list in my room and found more questions sorry,

What is a plant tissue?
    What is a triplet? It's role and an example?

I'm sorry if these are in the book I can't seem to find them.

Well human reproduction is usually a guaranteed question for section 3, so if you know unit 1 + 2 and that, you could be lucky. Theres other predictions from unit 3 too, I'm going with most of unit 1 + 2 and then a few topics from unit 3 due up!

I really hope I'll be ok, I'm so screwed for biol otherwise!!

I really hope I'll be ok, I'm so screwed for biol otherwise!!

If it helps I'm only learning human reproduction (only female actually) and urinary system! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Where can I find out what's on the course for OL Biology? My book is confusing me because it has some stuff marked as HL but there was questions about it when I looked through the past OL papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Gavarn

So I was studying Human reproduction for tomorrow when I came across this:

"During the period of pregnancy testosterone causes the development of primary male sex characteristics. These include the development of the penis and the other male reproductive parts." - http://leavingbio.net/HUMAN%20REPRODUCTION-WEB.htm

:eek:

I'm never going to get a woman pregnant! :p

If it helps I'm only learning human reproduction (only female actually) and urinary system! :)
    Ah, at least I'm not the only one! Let's hope we'll be ok with them! I need to do the urinary system too!! It's about time I get off boards! -__-

flyaway. wrote: »
    Where can I find out what's on the course for OL Biology? My book is confusing me because it has some stuff marked as HL but there was questions about it when I looked through the past OL papers.

http://www.curriculumonline.ie/uploadedfiles/PDF/lc_biology_sy.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

1. Do we have to know what they are? Thought you just referred to them when talking about genetic engineering
    2. It's a set of 3 codons attached to an amino acid (tRNA)
    3. Polar nuclei are formed in the embryo sac. They fuse with the generative nucleus to make the triploid endosperm.
    4. An electron in an excited state? Not sure
    5. The area where the enzyme reacts with the substrate.
    6. If you use the potassium iodide method, it should go a yellow-green I think.

Sorry if these aren't accurate. You've kind of scared me because I didn't really know all of these myself when I should :o

Advertisement