Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Biology Higher level 2011 * (one thread please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

whoa. that's weird. yeast can make alcohol from glucose
    AND
    glucose from sucrose

weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I'm really worried about this test, too much to try cram in in such a small space of time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭macskanadrag

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I'm really worried about this test, too much to try cram in in such a small space of time :(

Aye, that's normal :) Good thing is, it's today! Then it's over - the biology anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

Fell asleep last night when trying to study biology and woke up too late to study this morning..nightmare.

The exam was...weird. Not too difficult but just not the usual kind of stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

experimennts were rediculous imo

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

The exam was...weird. Not too difficult but just not the usual kind of stuff.

I dropped to ordinary this morning on the basis I knew noting basically in unit 3 and knew hardly any experiments, ordinary paper was easy, say I got a A2..B1

FINISHED NOW W000TZER :D

Sunny!! wrote: »
    experimennts were rediculous imo
    forgot to ask what were they? And how were the long questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

Thought it was nice really, I reckon I could have gotten my A1 so I'm delighted with it :)
    A lot of people giving out about the way things were worded though, seems to have caused problems? That first experiment Q was a pretty disguised way of asking the scientific method, and the 2nd one was a bit strange, but overall I thought it was nice enough. Nothing too obscure or weird :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Found some of the exam tough. Was strange there was no long question on human reproduction, photosynthesis or respiration. Short questions were nice though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

Where the F*** was my human reproduction

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I was dead set on doing the OL paper until about five minutes before the exam. My friends talked me into doing HL and I'm SO glad they did. The paper was fine. Certainly not the disaster I had been anticipating. I was actually pleased with the experiments. But yeah, would have been kicking myself if I'd dropped down to OL.

Lads I really wanna know what came up, I dropped to ordinary this morning, also please tell me the experiments that came up if ya can

I'm definitely in there with a B, but I don't know if the paper just threw me off and knocked me down from an A. Was so prepared for a heart or reproduction long question, scientific method totally threw me off.

Did anyone find the ecology questions to be kind of subjective? Like there was no definitive answer, just your opinions?
    Iceboy wrote: »
    Lads I really wanna know what came up, I dropped to ordinary this morning, also please tell me the experiments that came up if ya can
    DNA, osmosis, breathing/pulse rate, all I can think of for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

Found some of the exam tough. Was strange there was no long question on human reproduction, photosynthesis or respiration. Short questions were nice though.

So unfair how they fudged up the paper this year , everything I studied didn't come up I was furious sitting there like a dunce I attempted all the experiments and short questions and section c too but don't think I got anywhere . Took the higher level in the end and would like to take this time to thank the sec for changing the paper this year and ****ing up my chances of going on to third level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

I quite liked that paper

Did anyone know those two scientists involved with the cohesion-tension model? Real nasty question if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

That was nasty, I put down Arrehnuis and Bohr. Damn Chemistry >_<

Haha, I tried Bohr for a laugh too. According to the syllabus it's Dixon and Joly. What a horrible question to ask! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Weird is the word,
    Exactly, not too difficult but by no means easy,
    Phrasing through me with a few questions...
    Dont want to look into it just in case...
    Paper did seem to be missing some explicit content alright :P

• Advertisement

I'm definitely in there with a B, but I don't know if the paper just threw me off and knocked me down from an A. Was so prepared for a heart or reproduction long question, scientific method totally threw me off.

Did anyone find the ecology questions to be kind of subjective? Like there was no definitive answer, just your opinions?

DNA, osmosis, breathing/pulse rate, all I can think of for now.

god damn it I knew those experiments really well, cant wait to see the rest of this pape on examinations

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

Did anyone know those two scientists involved with the cohesion-tension model? Real nasty question if you ask me.

Dixon and Joly, they were two Irish lads :D

was that part of long or short questions?

Iceboy wrote: »
    was that part of long or short questions?
    Long questions. One of the last ones where you could answer 2 out of 3 parts. I reckon the ear and rhizopus question will be stronger than my plant one there!

Long questions. One of the last ones where you could answer 2 out of 3 parts. I reckon the ear and rhizopus question will be stronger than my plant one there!

Ok. Did the urinary system come up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭hatethisfeeling

What were the amino acids common to every protein? And when doing the genetics, since it was an incomplete dominence question, is it ok that I used r for the red flower and w for the white , or do you have to use the same letter?
    Also, where do the electrons return to at the end of the second stage of respiration?
    I think I got a B, feel sorry for the people banking on respiration and reproduction tho :(

What were the amino acids common to every protein? And when doing the genetics, since it was an incomplete dominence question, is it ok that I used r for the red flower and w for the white , or do you have to use the same letter?
    Also, where do the electrons return to at the end of the second stage of respiration?
    I think I got a B, feel sorry for the people banking on respiration and reproduction tho :(

Amino acids are the basic building blocks of proteins

not sure about the electrons one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭hatethisfeeling

Sorry I put that down wrong I think the question was how many amino acids are common to every protein?

What were the amino acids common to every protein?
    This totally got me too, because I thought proteins were composed of literally thousands of types of amino acids. I said 3 as a guess, honestly NO idea there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

This totally got me too, because I thought proteins were composed of literally thousands of types of amino acids. I said 3 as a guess, honestly NO idea there.

I guessed 200. :confused: I had no idea.

Advertisement