Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Biology Higher level 2011 * (one thread please)

Options
1192021222325»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Geog ariphic

Oh bugger.
    I posted an apology but its not here...keep getting signed out.
    I did just loose the head a bit Little Miss Lost, it was my problem, not yours.
    Wan't trying to offend you at all. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

The question was too vague. I do think that the answer was 20, but it wasn't really worded correctly. But in the grand scheme of things...it was in Question 1, where you get marked for 5 answers out of 6 questions. If you had gotten all the other parts right (which were relatively basic) then the protein one isn't going to count for you at all. Chill, relax, forget about it, go enjoy your summer or get ready for the rest of your exams! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Chances are they won't mark it for a lot if the majority of people got it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭sarah.

Ok people need to stop worrying now and just enjoy the summer/get ready for the last few exams! I worried a lot about little things like the protein question as well but now its time to end the post mortem on Biology! Concentrate on doing well in other subjects you may have left or on having the best summer yet! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

sarah. wrote: »
    Ok people need to stop worrying now and just enjoy the summer/get ready for the last few exams! I worried a lot about little things like the protein question as well but now its time to end the post mortem on Biology! Concentrate on doing well in other subjects you may have left or on having the best summer yet! :D

Yeah ,They will know how to mark it themselves , we dont know the markin scheme so no point in stressing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 JT133

"How many common amino acids are found in proteins?"

The answer that the marking scheme will most likely be looking for is 20, as this is the standard amount in the genetic code of most organisms, including humans. However 21 and 22 should be acceptable answers too, as certain organisms contain an extra amino acid sequence specified in their genetic code which is translated also, such as Selenocysteine in some bacteria and Pyrrolysine in certain archaea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Avogadro1

"The 21 amino acids found in eukaryotes"....
    Amino_Acids.svg
    "The 21 amino acids found in eukaryotes".... 8o

i think it says 20 in our biology book not 21

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Geog ariphic

JT133 wrote: »
    ...such as Selenocysteine in some bacteria and Pyrrolysine in certain archaea.
    Are archaea eukaryotes? Just from the name i'd imagine they aren't but i've no idea - 21 for eukaryotes is what wikipedia says...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Ivan Offlcockitch

Will ye STOP going on about the amino acid Q!!!
    It was a SHORT question.
    It was part of a MULTIPLE CHOICE question where if you have the other 5 right you will be fine.
    It is worth 4 MARKS.

Can everyone just accept the answer being looked for is 20 but 21 or 22 will most likely get the marks.
    Now can everyone just GET OVER IT and move on!!!

........Enjoy the summer everyone.smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

Now that we're apparently over that hump, here's something else which could be controversial:

"9. (a) (i) How are the two strands of a DNA molecule joined together?"

I said DNA Polymerase. I'm pretty sure what they were looking for was to name the bond, but technically that is how they become joined together, yes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I said a double helix shape with complimentary pairs joining each other. I don't know really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Ivan Offlcockitch

hydrogen bond was what i said i think

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

hydrogen bond was what i said i think

I said weak hydrogen bonds..
    That's also what it says in my notes. If they don't give me the marks because I put "weak" in I'll flip :eek::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 leaving cert finished 2k11

for the amino acid question the answers 20 21 22 will be acceptable and maybe ppl will be rewarded for stating the number of amino acids that are necessary to form a protein...what was any of yer answers to question 4 on the graph of human body temperature when it asked wat is the maximum temperature range under normal conditions..i said 1.6 as i took lowest temperatue from highest temperature??

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭GSI

I can't believe this thread is still alive. Jesus christ, I'd forgotten about biology an hour after the exam:/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 leaving cert finished 2k11

ya i said hydrogen bonding between base pairs but id say dan ligase and dna polymerase will also be acceptable :D

Advertisement