Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Biology Higher level 2011 * (one thread please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 BubblesXD

Ecology
    Photosynthesis
    Respiration
    Human Reproduction
    Excretion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Gercakeage

Would you not consider dropping down to ordinary level if you have never done any study and not passed any tests?! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CFCRockAngel

Definitely study photosynthesis, respiration, genetics, food, viruses, human reproduction and ecology...and look over some of the experiments that haven't came up in a few years, especially the ones about enzymes.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭G.J.

It's a given recently that something on ecology, genetics and respiration/photosynthesis will come up.

You can get 80% on the paper if you only study units 1 & 2. Answer the two on unit 1, two on unit 2 and one on unit 3 in the short answers for your 5. There's always one question on unit 1, two on unit 2 and three on unit 3 in the long answers, choosing 4 to do from the 6.

The experiments are hard to call, because they've been mixing experiments into one single question asking 'What is **** for in **** experiment?'. They haven't asked the osmosis experiment yet though, and there's a few others that I can't think of off the top of my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Siveen

http://leavingbio.net/

The site above has really good summaries of the course topics. I've used it before and it has really helped with studying....although the colours can be a little harsh though :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Is it worth learning the kidney in detail at this stage? What about the Krebs cycle?

Krebs cycle definitely, you're almost guaranteed a photosynthesis or respiration question, and although the topic isn't the easiest, the questions usually walk you through it quite nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭OldSchool94

BubblesXD wrote: »
    Ecology
    Photosynthesis
    Respiration
    Human Reproduction
    Excretion
    Cheers :D
    Gercakeage wrote: »
    Would you not consider dropping down to ordinary level if you have never done any study and not passed any tests?! :confused:
    Did this morning when I couldn't decide what to do! But then i taught that if i work a small bit i can get easily 45-55 points in honours where as if I was to get that in pass I would nearly need the A or B :/
    Definitely study photosynthesis, respiration, genetics, food, viruses, human reproduction and ecology...and look over some of the experiments that haven't came up in a few years, especially the ones about enzymes.
    Thanks a million :)
    G.J. wrote: »
    It's a given recently that something on ecology, genetics and respiration/photosynthesis will come up.

You can get 80% on the paper if you only study units 1 & 2. Answer the two on unit 1, two on unit 2 and one on unit 3 in the short answers for your 5. There's always one question on unit 1, two on unit 2 and three on unit 3 in the long answers, choosing 4 to do from the 6.

The experiments are hard to call, because they've been mixing experiments into one single question asking 'What is **** for in **** experiment?'. They haven't asked the osmosis experiment yet though, and there's a few others that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Cheers :D ...yeah true! ...Love the experiments now since i looked at them the last day except for the enzyme ones! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Okay, can someone please explain something to me. Someone told me today that if you get an answer wrong, it automatically cancels out a right answer somewhere else. For example, Section A, question 1. If you got A wrong, but B right, B would be canceled out and marked wrong? The person seemed so sure that this is what happens so now I'm worried.

Is that true? :confused: Because if so I have no idea how I'm going to pass...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Krebs cycle definitely, you're almost guaranteed a photosynthesis or respiration question, and although the topic isn't the easiest, the questions usually walk you through it quite nicely.
    Okay, I'll brush up on respiration then. I know photosynthesis and genetics inside out so I should be okay there. I'll probably do reproduction too.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

flyaway. wrote: »
    Okay, can someone please explain something to me. Someone told me today that if you get an answer wrong, it automatically cancels out a right answer somewhere else. For example, Section A, question 1. If you got A wrong, but B right, B would be canceled out and marked wrong? The person seemed so sure that this is what happens so now I'm worried.

Is that true? :confused: Because if so I have no idea how I'm going to pass...:(

no, it works like this..

say the question was: "what hormone maintains the placenta" or something like that

if you answer " progesterone, adrenaline", they will give you no marks, because the right answer will be cancelled out by the obviously wrong one.

this works on a question to question basis, not general

• Advertisement

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    no, it works like this..

say the question was: "what hormone maintains the placenta" or something like that

if you answer " progesterone, adrenaline", they will give you no marks, because the right answer will be cancelled out by the obviously wrong one.

Oooh! Right! Thank you. I can breathe again :P

That makes much more sense. Thanks :)

no, it works like this..

The answer is hCG though right?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Right lads, biology tomorrow and I only have tonight to cram in everything. :( I know Section 1 and most of section 2 (just a little brushing up needed for some parts of section 2) and a bit of human reproduction. Soemeone in the first few pages said that they knew Units 1 and 2 well and human reproduction and a bit on plants for their LC and they got an A1! Is that possible? What else should I look over? I'm gonna do urinary system as well, but what else? Oh, and I know most of my experiments too.
    Help please? :)

The answer is hCG though right?

maybe that's acceptable, but an answer is progesterone according to the marking scheme

maybe that's acceptable, but the answer is progesterone according to the marking scheme
    That's strange, always learned it as hCG. Wikipedia even says so :pac:

well the actual question is "name a" so i guess there's multiple answers.... i dont think they even mention hcg in my book

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭G.J.

cocopopsxx wrote: »
    Right lads, biology tomorrow and I only have tonight to cram in everything. :( I know Section 1 and most of section 2 (just a little brushing up needed for some parts of section 2) and a bit of human reproduction. Soemeone in the first few pages said that they knew Units 1 and 2 well and human reproduction and a bit on plants for their LC and they got an A1! Is that possible? What else should I look over? I'm gonna do urinary system as well, but what else? Oh, and I know most of my experiments too.
    Help please? :)
    Yes, that's quite possible! Unit 1 & 2 make up 65% (Oops, said 80% in another thread but that's with experiments at 15%). Human reproduction is a regular enough question, so that could get you your 4th question on the long answers (and shorts if you're lucky!).

We've been told not to go in without knowing photosynthesis, respiration, carbon and nitrogen cycle, genetics, DNA replication, protein synthesis and the crosses. Also to know all the experiments. That's enough to be comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Yes, that's quite possible! Unit 1 & 2 make up 65% (Oops, said 80% in another thread but that's with experiments at 15%). Human reproduction is a regular enough question, so that could get you your 4th question on the long answers (and shorts if you're lucky!).

We've been told not to go in without knowing photosynthesis, respiration, carbon and nitrogen cycle, genetics, DNA replication, protein synthesis and the crosses. Also to know all the experiments. That's enough to be comfortable.
    Thanks a million! That really put me at ease, cos I know Photosynthess, respiration, ecology, genetics, DNA replication and the crosses! Need to revise Protein synthesis now so! And ya, defo doing all the experiments, know most of them but the heart dissection one is kinda tough, and we didn't even disect a heart so I have no clue bout it! Hope fully it wouldn't come up as a full question. :p

Thanks a ton! I was freaking out earlier cos I had completely neglected biology, but feeling kinda better now, thanks!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

I was missing for parts of Ecology. i studied grassland though, can somebody please give me a list of the flora and fauna and anything else on the Biology course that isn't in the book. Thanks. Oh and is it just for ecology that we study different things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Gavarn

Just a general question, but does anyone know why the celery & water solution has to be added to a pH 9 buffer?

Is it just to have it as a known pH or is there another reason?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering if anyone could give me any tips to remember the carbon/nitrogen cycles? Whats the best way to learn them like? :/
    Probably a very good chance of one coming up but I'm just wondering if anyone thought of a good way to remember them?

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭C__MC

Any tips for pass folks

Ughhh. The only things I understand on the whole course are Ecology and the Cell stuff. I have a very basic grasp of Genetics. Have spent countless hours trying to wrap my head around photosynthesis and respiration but it just won't go in.

Think I might be better off dropping down to pass. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

Snap .
    I'm fine till I get to the long questions , then i see the long questions and begin to cry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

I think, not 100% but think, that basically hCG is involved in stimulating progesterone production, which maintains the placenta, so technically you could argue for either.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭galwayman17..

pH 9 is the optimum pH of most plants! :)
    Gavarn wrote: »
    Just a general question, but does anyone know why the celery & water solution has to be added to a pH 9 buffer?

Is it just to have it as a known pH or is there another reason?

a pH of 9 is not the optimum temperature for plants. its 6 - 7 because its neutral. you use a pH of 9 (and a pH of 4 in another cylinder) to show the effect pH has on the enzyme, you use the buffer to vary the pH.

you will then see the different amounts of foam in each cylinder and thats your experiment!. hope that helps!!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Ughhh. The only things I understand on the whole course are Ecology and the Cell stuff. I have a very basic grasp of Genetics. Have spent countless hours trying to wrap my head around photosynthesis and respiration but it just won't go in.

Besides the photosynthesis/resp questions and the genetics stuff, how is the rest of the paper for you?

Worst case scenario would be having 3 long questions involving those topics. There are still 3 others, with one being ecology. The genetics and photosynthesis experiments themselves don't need any knowledge of the chapters, except in the part A of the experiment, which is usually just definitions.

Even if you can't understand genetics, I'd say learn the definitions, alleles, genes, etc. You can afford to leave out 1 topic if you want so if you can't learn photo/resp, don't bother, put your time into something else :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

Besides the photosynthesis/resp questions and the genetics stuff, how is the rest of the paper for you?

Worst case scenario would be having 3 long questions involving those topics. There are still 3 others, with one being ecology. The genetics and photosynthesis experiments themselves don't need any knowledge of the chapters, except in the part A of the experiment, which is usually just definitions.

Even if you can't understand genetics, I'd say learn the definitions, alleles, genes, etc. You can afford to leave out 1 topic if you want so if you can't learn photo/resp, don't bother, put your time into something else :)

You wouldn't have any insightful advice on what way/how to go about learning the carbon and nitrogen cycle, would you? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭galwayman17..

biggaman wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm just wondering if anyone could give me any tips to remember the carbon/nitrogen cycles? Whats the best way to learn them like? :/
    Probably a very good chance of one coming up but I'm just wondering if anyone thought of a good way to remember them?

Thanks! :)

for the nitrogen cycle bacteria is involved in every stage e.g. stage 1 - nitrogen fixation is brought about the use of nitrogen fixing bacteria either living in the soil or the root nodules of the legume (clover)

then you do that for the other 3 main headings (decomposition, nitrification and denitrification). but use the names of the bacterium used in these stages not the same bacteria used in stage 1!

• Advertisement

I always find the definitions to be a killer. You've either got the word they're looking for or you don't.

Advertisement