Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Biology Higher level 2011 * (one thread please)

Options
  • 09-05-2011 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Sweet and short: How are ye guys studying for Biology???

I find it so hard to cram in everything and the notes my teacher has given have far too much detail than needed....I know a lot of stuff but as the leaving cert is drawing closer, I'm after freaking out a lot and can't seem to study productively for biol! :(
    I try exam papers and stuff alright but what else do ye do??

Any help would be apreciated! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭GregoryNimmo

I have always read people saying "Oh record your self and listen" and thought it was complete bull... Untill last week and i tried it, Now I know practically everything I record. Its insane and works so well. TRY IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭GerardB

just keep doing exam papers and you should be okay.

i have a main bio text book and two revision books. i read each chapter in all three books and then i write in anything that one of my revision books leaves out into that book. its handy, now i have a main text, a revision book and a REALLY good revision book. don't know if anyone else does that though...

flashcards are VERY useful too, make them for diagrams and summaries (eg a summary of the photosynthesis and the electron pathways)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

I have always read people saying "Oh record your self and listen" and thought it was complete bull... Untill last week and i tried it, Now I know practically everything I record. Its insane and works so well. TRY IT.

really? i didnt think it would work..
    ok lets say for example physics. what would you record yourself saying??
    and how often would you listen to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 purple27

I did HL for my leaving, so I'm not sure how the OL course would work but for HL you can focus mainly on Unit 1(The Study of Life), Unit 2(The Cell) and all the experiments. 80% of the paper can be answered knowing just those.

If you break down the paper, it works out as:
    Section A: answer 5 out of 6 (20m each)
    2 questions on Unit 1
    2 questions on Unit 2
    2 questions on Unit 3

So knowing Unit 1 and 2 you can answer 4 questions, 4 x20 = 80m

Section B: (30m each)
    Experiments
    2x30= 60m

Section 3: answer 4 out of 6 (60m each)
    1 on Unit 1
    2 on Unit 2
    3 on Unit 3

Knowing Unit 1 and 2 will allow you to answer 3 questions, 3x60= 180m

80+60+180 = 320
    The paper is marked out of 400m, so 320/400 is 80%.

Sooo if you know Unit 1, Unit 2 and the experiments really well you could get up to 80%, then if you know any of Unit 3 that's where you can get the other 20%. And considering Unit 3 is the biggest section, it really can make the whole thing seem a little less daunting.

I'm not telling you to go ignoring Unit 3 now, I'm just saying if the work load is freaking you out and it seems like too much, just concentrate on learning Unit 1, Unit 2 and the experiments really well first...and then after you can try to concur Unit 3 to get those extra marks. :)

I hope that actually makes some sense, but it is quite late so I probably didn't explain it very well. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Ugh my only bad subject. :( The first time I passed it in the last two years was my mocks (40%). I've tried everything... flash cards (on paper and online), exam papers, writing everything out a million times, getting people to test me, watching videos on youtube that explain the stuff... I just can't learn it. I've spent two years trying to get my head around photosynthesis but just can't grasp it.

Might have to try the recording thing- no harm in trying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

purple27 wrote: »
    I did HL for my leaving, so I'm not sure how the OL course would work but for HL you can focus mainly on Unit 1(The Study of Life), Unit 2(The Cell) and all the experiments. 80% of the paper can be answered knowing just those.

2 questions on Unit 1
    2 questions on Unit 2
    2 questions on Unit 3

Experiments
    2x30= 60m

1 on Unit 1
    2 on Unit 2
    3 on Unit 3

80+60+180 = 320

Sooo if you know Unit 1, Unit 2 and the experiments really well you could get up to 80%, then if you know any of Unit 3 that's where you can get the other 20%. And considering Unit 3 is the biggest section, it really can make the whole thing seem a little less daunting.

I'm not telling you to go ignoring Unit 3 now, I'm just saying if the work load is freaking you out and it seems like too much, just concentrate on learning Unit 1, Unit 2 and the experiments really well first...and then after you can try to concur Unit 3 to get those extra marks. :)

I hope that actually makes some sense, but it is quite late so I probably didn't explain it very well. :P

My biology teacher in 6th year actually told us to do exactly this. Also, if you learn human and plant reproduction, you can get an A1

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

GV_NRG wrote: »
    really? i didnt think it would work..
    ok lets say for example physics. what would you record yourself saying??
    and how often would you listen to it?

For example, in physics, "the principal of conservation of energy states that..." and so on. So record the definitions, how to set up the experiments, theory etc

My biology teacher in 6th year actually told us to do exactly this. Also, if you learn human and plant reproduction, you can get an A1
    Yeah, that's pretty much all I learned in detail and I ended up getting an A1. Then I just knew the basics for all the other parts of Unit 3....got me through it anyway! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Thanks a mill everyone!I'll try everythig ye said! Thanks a ton! :)
    I was freaking out but this helps a lot! Thanks very much! :)

2 questions on Unit 1
    2 questions on Unit 2
    2 questions on Unit 3

Experiments
    2x30= 60m

1 on Unit 1
    2 on Unit 2
    3 on Unit 3

80+60+180 = 320

Ya, I do HL as well and I know my unit 1 and unit 2 pretty well, it's only unit 3 that's bothering me. Well, unit 3 is manageable and I love Human Biology but it's the plant biology section that I hate! :P I just don't know how to actually learn it...I try my best to learn but it all vanishes in a day or two! :( So yeah, I'm okay with units 1 and 2 and the experiments, it's just unit 3 (plant biology mainly) that freaks me!

Thank you so much for the reply! It really helped me calm down, thanks a mill! :)

• Advertisement

I did that for French, never thought about doing it for Biology, might as well try it! Thanks a ton! :)

GerardB wrote: »
    just keep doing exam papers and you should be okay.

i have a main bio text book and two revision books. i read each chapter in all three books and then i write in anything that one of my revision books leaves out into that book. its handy, now i have a main text, a revision book and a REALLY good revision book. don't know if anyone else does that though...

flashcards are VERY useful too, make them for diagrams and summaries (eg a summary of the photosynthesis and the electron pathways)

What revision book do you use,if you don't mind me asking?
    I do this with the notes that my teacher gives, and then try to learn them but the notes really depress me! :P But I'll have to deal with that. :P
    Thanks a ton for the reply, I'll try it! Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭mpdg

GerardB wrote: »
    )
    I do this too!:) I stick post-it's in my revisewise with all the definitions/whathaveyou that the book didn't include. Though, even with the wide expanse of source material, some stuff that's in the papers are not in any of the books. Marking schemes are a lifesaver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I'm really confused. :o

We've a terribly bad teacher for biology, so I wasn't even aware it was split up into units! What exactly is in unit 1 and unit 2?

I'm presuming unit 1 is stuff like Ecology and Food, but is there anything else? :o

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    I'm really confused. :o

We've a terribly bad teacher for biology, so I wasn't even aware it was split up into units! What exactly is in unit 1 and unit 2?

I'm presuming unit 1 is stuff like Ecology and Food, but is there anything else? :o
    Yeah, Unit 1 is Food, Ecology, Scientific Method, Characteristics of Life. Unit 2 is The Cell, so stuff like cell structure, cell division, enzymes, diffusion and osmosis, photosyntheis, respiration, DNA, RNA, genetics, variation and evolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Yeah, Unit 1 is Food, Ecology, Scientific Method, Characteristics of Life. Unit 2 is The Cell, so stuff like cell structure, cell division, enzymes, diffusion and osmosis, photosyntheis, respiration, DNA, RNA, genetics, variation and evolution.

Thanks a million! :D

In the past 2 days I've covered Food, Ecology, DNA, Genetics, Photosynthesis and Respiration so I'm fairly happy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Gav77

Same here:(just cant seem to make the stuff stick..its the one subject that wrecks my head!! The tape recording thing sounds a bit of a longshot but everything is worth a shot i guess! Focusing on unit 1 and 2 sounds like a winner to me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Hey guys.
    I can't recall what the paper itself is like as i did in 2 years ago but im studying biology in college now and love it.

It doesn't get any easier and if you think leaving cert is detailed it only gets worse :P

But what i always do is just breakdown as much as possible its all about simplifying your notes having lines and lines of notes can look really intimidating when your starting to study,i know it is for me anyway get it down to the pure basics or that one big fancy word ha you'd be suprised how much you can recall from just seeing one word

I found diagrams are far easier to study too like for the circulatory system,its all well and good knowing how the blood goes through the heart,but more often then not its going to be a diagram in your exam so get familiar with them.

I know for my college exams all i do is exam papers,everything will have been covered in those over the years and phrased as they will ask you in your exam

I don't know if any of its helpful its just what i do,feel free to PM if your struggling or what help with the subject and ill help you the best i can,im going through exams atm so i know how you guys feel ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭galwayman17..

i cant believe i didnt look at this thread earlier! im here going crazy trying to learn off loads when i have unit 2 basically learned off! doing photosynthesis right now and its a pain in my @$$! all i have to do now is ecology and food in unit 1. anyone got any tips for ecology because i hate it with a passion!
    cheers, :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fionnsci

Bump.

Unfortunately, I've completely neglected Biology. I'm doing what I can now to salvage it by isolating the important bits. From what I've been told, I could get by alright if I know the following well (names as they appear in my textbook):

Introduction to Ecology
    Ecological Relationships
    Effects of Humans on the Environment
    The Study of an Ecosystem

Biochemical Reactions (Photo./Resp.)
    Genetics and Evolution
    Genetics 2

The Structure of Flowering Plants
    Transport in the Flowering Plant
    Plant Response to Stimuli
    Vegetative Reproduction
    Sexual Reproduction in Plants

Could I be doing this more efficiently? Also, If Genetics is just too scary, is there a topic that I could add in for it? Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

fionnsci wrote: »
    Bump.

Unfortunately, I've completely neglected Biology. I'm doing what I can now to salvage it by isolating the important bits. From what I've been told, I could get by alright if I know the following well (names as they appear in my textbook):

Introduction to Ecology
    Ecological Relationships

Genetics and Evolution
    Genetics 2

Vegetative Reproduction

Could I be doing this more efficiently? Also, If Genetics is just too scary, is there a topic that I could add in for it? Any help appreciated.

human reproductive system ...is a defin8 yes :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

fionnsci wrote: »
    Bump.

Introduction to Ecology
    Ecological Relationships

Genetics and Evolution
    Genetics 2

Vegetative Reproduction

Throw in food as well,it comes up nearly every year, also dont neglect the experiments.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mikeydublin

breathing-respiration
    ECOLOGY
    defence system
    reproduction-human,plant

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

learn these off and you will be fine (honours only)

These are in order of importance, given by Eoin something can't remember his second name, he is the guy who passed a record 27 subjects last year

LONG QUESTIONS:

1) Genetics
    2) Ecology
    3) Urinary System
    4) Respiration
    5) Human Reproduction

6) Viruses
    7) Skeleton
    8) Osmosis
    9) Breathing System

10) Xylem, Phloem, Transportation
    11) Food/Nutrients
    12) Heart/Blood/Lymph

SHORT QUESTIONS:

1) Food Nutrients
    2) Ecology
    3) Respiration
    4) Mitosis
    5) Scientific Method
    6) Human Reproduction
    7) Digestive System
    8) Photosynthesis
    9) Blood and Blood Vessels
    10) Xylem , Phloem, Transportation
    11) Respiration
    12) Liver

EXPERIMENTS:

remember these are in order of importance

*Never been asked before
    1) Investigate effect of excercise on pulse or breathing rate
    2) To Demonstrate Osmosis
    3) Examine Plant Cells Under Microscope
    4) Use instruments to collect animals in an Ecosystem
    5) Test for Starch

*Have been asked before
    1) Effect of Temperature on enzyme action
    2) Effect of Ph on Enzymes
    3) Use Yeast to Produce Ethanol
    4) Isolate DNA from a Plant
    5) Show Factors Essential for Seed Germination
    6) Investigate growth of leaf yeast
    7) View TS of dicto stem
    8) Interperet ecological keys
    9) Test for protein / test for reducing sugar
    10) Show digestive activity during germintation
    11) Immobilise an enzyme

If you know this this stuff, you will be sorted for Biology Honours ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

ciano1 wrote: »

and is he ever right?????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

brownlad wrote: »
    and is he ever right?????????????

Last year he predicted Biology very well however in business his predictions were rubbish

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

ciano1 wrote: »

Really hate that guy, very full of himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Sineadlc

Im repeating my leaving cert and I really want to do well in biology. I got a D1 last year and a C3 in my mock this year! There is only a few days left and I want to know what should I really be going over. Is there any experiments or topics that are tipped to come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Sineadlc wrote: »
    Is there any experiments or topics that are tipped to come up.

I'd definately go over the Enzyme ones if I was you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Always know Photosynthesis, Respiration, Reproduction and the systems.
    That's what I made sure I knew first. I kind of see them as the core of the subject.

Advertisement