Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    You need the tech for the 100Mb line, you can't install this yourself.
    From what Ive read here, its €20 for the modem for the 50Mb line as you can install it yourself.

Both are the same modem, but there's some stuff the tech will need to do to get the 100Mb working.
    You don't really need the tech for 100mb. All they did for me was plug in a router and phone in to activate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

adrian522 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I was onto the loyalty department and I got switched from the all in bundle with 30mb to the 50mb for €75(including phone and TV)

However he is insisting that I need a technician and there will be a €40 fee.

Is everyone getting this? I asked could a courier come and I will set it up myself but he said that I need the technician.

Should I call back again and ask about the courier?

This conflicts to what ive been told some posts up the page. I called today and he said the courier just needs to deliver and i could self-install. I though i remembered someone here say in the other thread a tech needs to come out to test the cables etc and to install himself the 50MB and 100MB modem so i asked was he sure its only a matter of swapping the modem and plugging the new one in myself and he said yeah thats all there was too it.

EDIT: read the couple of posts above, seems my sales chap was right about the 50mb self install.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I wouldn't mind but I only had tech out on Saturday to setup the thing in the irst place and that fee was only €20, don't know why it is €40 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

slave1 wrote: »
    Really, I always assumed yourself and Vibe666 were UPC employees seeing as Jason exited stage left ;)
    blasphemer! :P

i did actually used to work for an ISP in their support dept in my younger days, but that was many (many) years ago when DSL was still an emerging technology and 512kbps was fast.

i've moved on quite a few times since then though and am (thankfully) in a job now that allows me to work from home at highly important times like when i'm getting my 100mbps broadband installed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭DavidJC

My bedroom is linked by a high power wifi G adapter with a directional antenna that doesn't do more than 54meg.

I've ordered the 100meg for Saturday installation.. Will they run an ethernet cable up to the room? I'm two floors up from the router so hence the high power adapter.

I'm being charged 40 euro for the install.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

DavidJC wrote: »
    I've ordered the 100meg for Saturday installation.. Will they run an ethernet cable up to the room? I'm two floors up from the router so hence the high power adapter.

Did they agree to this?

I just ordered 100Mb, no issues what so ever
    No being put through to the loyalty dept, speaking to the support agent I said "you must be mental busy with all this" - she said "you have no idea"
    Nice girl, was only on hold less than a minute, another few while she checked the line - paying the €40 for the install.

I'll ask the engineer to run an ethernet up to a boxroom - will slip him 20 notes or 6cans from my fridge for it if he doesn't complain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

DavidJC wrote: »
    My bedroom is linked by a high power wifi G adapter with a directional antenna that doesn't do more than 54meg.

I'm being charged 40 euro for the install.

I wouldnt expect they will do this FOC no.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Just upgraded to 50 meg from 30...works out Im saving 14 euro aswell

UPC are superb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

A little off topic but does anyone know how Eircon are still in business, I taught they had like a massive debt!! No way they are going to be making more money now!! Although the 50mb-100mb is only available to certain area's, That's getting bigger by the day.

I really wonder what they will do next, NGB V2!!

They are in business because people are complacent... its like people who stayed with ESB when Bord Gais and Airtricity offered the same deal but with a 10% saving....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    You need the tech for the 100Mb line, you can't install this yourself.
    From what Ive read here, its €20 for the modem for the 50Mb line as you can install it yourself.

Both are the same modem, but there's some stuff the tech will need to do to get the 100Mb working.

I am upgrading 30meg to 50 meg with new modem being installed. I verified 3 times (With Jason) there is no installation charge & no charge for the modem.:confused::confused:

KoolKid wrote: »
    I am upgrading 30meg to 50 meg with new modem being installed. I verified 3 times (With Jason) there is no installation charge & no charge for the modem.:confused::confused:

Lucky you, Im paying the 40euro for the 100meg to be installed. And before i managed to get the 100meg at the deal price I was going for the 50meg on self install and it still cost 20euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

I think its ridiculous that the people going for the 100Mb have to pay the installation charge for the same product, Also not sure why you can't install 100Mb by self install.

I don't really mind, It's always good to have a technician check on everything once and awhile.

Paying €52 and the moment for 30Mb line, Will be getting 100Mb + freetime word for €57, Absolute steel of a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

fionny wrote: »
    Lucky you, Im paying the 40euro for the 100meg to be installed. And before i managed to get the 100meg at the deal price I was going for the 50meg on self install and it still cost 20euro.

Yep - I'm the same - 100Meg due to be installed this Sat & have to pay €40 with Engineer etc..

Its weird alright that some people seem to have managed to get self installs & some not, along with different prices for the installs.

I was told the modem was free but there was a €40 activation charge :)

I guess at the end of the day - overall, if its works the way I hope it'll work, its very good value for money anyway so I'm not very upset about it (but of course I'd rather have the €40 in my pocket ;) )

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'll give them a call back tomorrow to see if I can self install. Pretty sloppy roll out to be honest, most people don't seem to know what is going on.

It might have to do with when certain peoples original installations took place.

I imagine they insist on the engie for the 100meg to check signals and prove the point that the 100 is done right.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I'll give them a call back tomorrow to see if I can self install. Pretty sloppy roll out to be honest, most people don't seem to know what is going on.
    The thing is mine is an Engineer install....:confused:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

No confusion, it is very simple really.

The 100Mb products requires an engineer install.

The 50Mb can be self installed.

The new modem costs €20, but if you order online the modem is free. However some people who ordered over the phone, pointed this out and the sales person waived this fee, but they aren't required to do so, it is the luck of the draw.

An engineer install costs €40, doesn't matter if you order online or not.

As to why an engineer install is required, I guess tow reasons:

1) To check it is working properly, line levels are correct, etc.

2) More importantly probably to explain to people why they aren't getting 100Mb/s over their wifi and to show them that they are actually getting 100Mb via a wired connection, so that UPC can avoid future complaints.

A lot of people aren't going to understand that wifi rated for 150Mb/s is theoretical in the lab only and you will be lucky to get 70Mb/s from it in the real world. And people also won't understand that the download speed is dependent on the website you are downloading from (normally you will only get 100Mb/s if you are downloading a few files at the same time).

bk wrote: »

I asked this 3 times. Was told there was definitely no charge.;)
    They will be playing back their recorded calls before they get it.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I asked this 3 times. Was told there was definitely no charge.;)
    They will be playing back their recorded calls before they get it.:rolleyes:

Just luck of the draw I suppose.

• Advertisement

No confusion, it is very simple really.

The 100Mb products requires an engineer install.

The 50Mb can be self installed.

The new modem costs €20, but if you order online the modem is free. However some people who ordered over the phone, pointed this out and the sales person waived this fee, but they aren't required to do so, it is the luck of the draw.

As to why an engineer install is required, I guess tow reasons:

1) To check it is working properly, line levels are correct, etc.

2) More importantly probably to explain to people why they aren't getting 100Mb/s over their wifi and to show them that they are actually getting 100Mb via a wired connection, so that UPC can avoid future complaints.

A lot of people aren't going to understand that wifi rated for 150Mb/s is theoretical in the lab only and you will be lucky to get 70Mb/s from it in the real world. And people also won't understand that the download speed is dependent on the website you are downloading from (normally you will only get 100Mb/s if you are downloading a few files at the same time).

Well I'm upgrading from 30 to 50 and was told I would need an engineer install and that it would cost €40 and there was no way around this. Was I misinformed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

An awful lot of people simply don't understand this point, even technical journalists (who should know better) are caught out by this inconvenient fact

I never even had to argue this . He stated from the start there would be no charge.

Well I'm upgrading from 30 to 50 and was told I would need an engineer install and that it would cost €40 and there was no way around this. Was I misinformed?

Yes, I believe this is incorrect.

However I don't work for UPC and maybe there is something specific about your area or setup that requires an engineer install.

OK, I'll give them a call back tomorrow and see if someone else will have a different view ...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Was waiting for a response from UPC via Twitter with regards the availability of these new packages and speeds in Waterford. They replied today and told me it would be 2012 before they will be available :confused: Looks like their network here is way behind alot of other places in the country.

Edit; Just tried to sign up as a new customer. When i entered my address it told me 50meg and 100meg is available and lets me go through the whole sign up procedure. So i'm even more confused now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Markronan

Was waiting for a response from UPC via Twitter with regards the availability of these new packages and speeds in Waterford. They replied today and told me it would be 2012 before they will be available :confused: Looks like their network here is way behind alot of other places in the country.
    I was being robbed by upc paying for all the services separate until i rang them earlier and customer service was adamant i cant get a bundle and it was for new customers only and i said thats a disgrace and threatened to move to sky snd asked to be put through to loyalty team and they switched my service without even hesitating. I am now saving 16euro a month and have an extra 5mb broadband than before. Used to pay 98 a month nows its 83euro with faster broadband. I wanted the 50mb but they said its not available in my area in westside galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Are you sure, on this page is says 20 euro https://service.upc.ie/cckservices/order/addoffer?offerid=517 which is what they told me they would charge when I mentioned it.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »
    Are you sure, on this page is says 20 euro https://service.upc.ie/cckservices/order/addoffer?offerid=517 which is what they told me they would charge when I mentioned it.

Nope, not sure, you may well be right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Markronan

Anyone here from galway, they said 50mb wasnt available in my area in westside circular road galway, i went from 20mb to 25mb today but wanted 50mb. My line does stretch out to nearly 30mb if downloading from filesonic. So i find it hard to believe i cant get 50mb, i ordered no problem but they rang back and said it wasnt available. For any existing customers having trouble just ask to be put through to loyalty team to get a bundle no problem. The new customer rule is crap and should be illegal. So anyone near my area or from galway with 50mb or 100mb???

Advertisement