Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

I upgraded my 30mb to 100mb with Phone & Anytime World @ €62, (Mullingar - Install Thursday) they never mentioned any connection fee but did try to charge me €15 for a handset, but did not need it as I have the UPC Handset from before when I cancelled the TV and Phone.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

hadepsx wrote: »
    yo bk seeing as ur in d know, what u think of the thompson router that upc r giving out with new 50 and 100 meg line. cisco was/is crap imho

I don't have the service myself, so I can't say for certain. But from what I read it looks like a solid router, better then the Cisco, but lacking some features found in more expensive high end wireless routers, such as dual-n radios.

I'm sure it will be perfectly fine for most peoples needs. The most important thing is stability of the router, which only time and reports from users can tell.

After all you can always switch off the wireless and pair it with a nice high end wifi router for the fancier features if you like.

Actually just noticed one thing interesting about the new Thompson router, it supports up to 8 bonded channels. I'm sure UPC are only using 4 channels for 100mb/s, that means this router should be future proof for faster speeds up to about 200 Mb/s in future, nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

thanks bk

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Still seems to be confusion.

I was told that I couldn't upgrade to the new bundles at the new price.

I've engaged with them on twitter to see if that proves more fruitful and if not then it's off the the loyalty dept.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

hadepsx wrote: »
    yo bk seeing as ur in d know, what u think of the thompson router that upc r giving out with new 50 and 100 meg line. cisco was/is crap imho

Anyone know if that router is any easier to access than the Cisco one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Parsi you need to ask to speak with the Loyalty Dept... they will sort you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭Nollog

parsi wrote: »
    Still seems to be confusion.

I was told that I couldn't upgrade to the new bundles at the new price.

I've engaged with them on twitter to see if that proves more fruitful and if not then it's off the the loyalty dept.

Could be that 50 or 100 isn't in your area yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

They need to give it's customers an idea of when updates can be expected, the map on their support page is two years old. Also what's their twitter account?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

What is the model number of the modem they give you for the 50Mbit? Does anyone have the specs handy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭Nollog

irishguy wrote: »
    What is the model number of the modem they give you for the 50Mbit? Does anyone have the specs handy?

It's the same thompson as the 100mbit.
    Supposed to be a great modem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

/\/ollog wrote: »
    It's the same thompson as the 100mbit.
    Supposed to be a great modem.

I did a bit of googling and I am guessing its the Thomson TWG870?
    http://wiki.bandaancha.st/Thomson_TWG870

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

I signed up for the 100Mb about 2-3 months ago, Ive not being charged the install fee of €100 yet, I didnt have any tv package with them so I was paying €87.50 or so. Got a letter last month saying that they were upgrading the upload to 10Mb/s and also it was going to be €65 a month.

I rang today and it was a similar story to many others were I had to ask to be put through to the cancelation department before they would change my package for me. Very happy with the price and the service has being nearly always 100Mb/s anytime Ive tested it up till today. This could well be a result of a lot of people getting their speeds upgraded today and increased demand on their servers but speeds I am getting this evening are not great, between 40-50Mb/s. Anyway its plenlty fast and not bothering me too much, unless they made a mess of my order today and downgraded me to the 50Mb/s!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

irishguy wrote: »
    I did a bit of googling and I am guessing its the Thomson TWG870?
    http://wiki.bandaancha.st/Thomson_TWG870

Beaten to it.

There is a review in English here

http://sburke.eu/blog/2011/01/thompson-broadband-router-upc-model-twg870/

Looks like it doesn't support bridge mode which could be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 harman22

is it a coincidence I wonder that my Eircom usage meter is now saying I have an unlimited allowance whereas yesterday it was 30GB?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I rang them today, I'm currently paying €47 (40+7) for 30Mb and one of their phone packages. I'm getting switched on to the 50Mb package (same modem, so it's just an upgrade at their end) and keeping the same phone package for the princely sum of...*drumroll* €47. (Now 45+2). A total no-brainer! Fair play to UPC on this one. They said it will take about 24 hours to sort out (they're quite busy, I'd imagine:)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

Un fukin believable!

I was on their web site about 4 weeks ago looking at the old packages and realised I could have a much better deal getting one of those than the mishmash of things I had already.

I too was told no joy, only for new customers but was given the number of the Loyalty desk and they were able to sort me out with a much better package for about 5 euro a months more.

Now they go bring out this. I even asked at the time was it worth holding out for something better as I had heard a rumour about better packages.

Ah well, another call tomorrow to see what can be done.... As far as I can see with HD I can now get the 50MB and keep the current TV with HD and an Extra point for the same money.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yakuza wrote: »
    I rang them today, I'm currently paying €47 (40+7) for 30Mb and one of their phone packages. I'm getting switched on to the 50Mb package (same modem, so it's just an upgrade at their end).

What modem have you got at the moment.?
    I was told it needs to be changed to upgrade from 30-50 meg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Just a heads up to any new customers thinking of joining UPC, they normally do the €125/250 Curry's/PC World Voucher scheme after each new upgrade/product launch.

Thread on the last one here:

From their website. I assume they'll be extending this pretty soon too, they've done so twice in the past with their last two offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Keith186

Haven't read the whole thread just first page and last two.

Has anyone who upgraded had to sign 12 months contract?

I've 9 left on mine but need to keep it in sync with landlord/rent contract so don't want a new 12 month deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Keith186 wrote: »
    Haven't read the whole thread just first page and last two.

I've 9 left on mine but need to keep it in sync with landlord/rent contract so don't want a new 12 month deal.

It was never mentioned to me when I upgraded so time will tell if they send me out a copy or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Will current customers who have phone & bb no longer have to pay the €7.75 fee for not having tv?

I noticed on their website that the phone and broadband deals do not include "freetime world" (Free off-peak and weekend calls) like the old packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

KoolKid wrote: »
    What modem have you got at the moment.?
    I was told it needs to be changed to upgrade from 30-50 meg.

It's the Cisco EPC2425, I've only had it since March (when I ditched Eircom). The woman I spoke to told me I'd be able to get 50MB on it, but if I wanted 100 I'd need a new modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

I upgraded to 100mb last month. Will I need to talk to loyalty department to add phone to broadband for the better pricing?

I also have TV but not in a bundle.

Keith186 wrote: »
    I was told I will have to. I expected that as I'm only half way into existing contract. For better speed & less money I have no problem with that.
    ShaneU wrote: »
    Will current customers who have phone & bb no longer have to pay the €7.75 fee for not having tv?
    It seems they will drop it if you change onto new package.
    They do act a bit dumb & still try to say you need TV included
    I noticed on their website that the phone and broadband deals do not include "freetime world" (Free off-peak and weekend calls) like the old packages.
    I was told it does. The guy on the phone went over it a few times.The site does seem a bit confusing .
    Actually if you go into the info on 25 meg package it also says its extra, but the banner clearly says its included .
    Guess its wait & see. Hope they are not trying a fast one....
    It's the Cisco EPC2425, I've only had it since March (when I ditched Eircom). The woman I spoke to told me I'd be able to get 50MB on it, but if I wanted 100 I'd need a new modem.

Again they seem to be confused on a few points.
    I'll happily let them replace my Cisco modem. I hate those things.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 shanemhoban

CO19 wrote: »
    Thanks for that bk ;) I think I'll stay as I am on the 8mb for €23 as the 4 extra mb for the extra €2 isn't worth it as you'd hardly notice the speed increase.

im on the 8mb for €23 as well, got upgraded today to 10mb automatically, there's a message in myupc saying its an autoupgrade, just unplug modem and plug back in and it was upgraded

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

digiman wrote: »
    I signed up for the 100Mb about 2-3 months ago, Ive not being charged the install fee of €100 yet, I didnt have any tv package with them so I was paying €87.50 or so. Got a letter last month saying that they were upgrading the upload to 10Mb/s and also it was going to be €65 a month.
    see, i fecking knew it!!!

why would they be upgrading existing 100mbps customers to 10mbps upload and not the new 100mbps ones?

grrr, sort it out upc and give everyone the same fecking deals. :mad:

on the upside, \o/ yay for me, 100mbps on wednesday, so sort of hard to complain really. :o

i'm so confused. :confused:

but so happy! :D

and sad. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

I know it's not BB but just noticed Sky Ireland have frozen their prices until 2013......are they running scared of UPC and the idea of losing alot of custom with these new prices and people taking up tv along with the BB?? Sky have been raising prices annually for the past number of years

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

She is wrong, it isn't capable of 50Mb/s *, you will need a new modem.

* Well strictly speaking it is capable of 56Mb/s, which is the theoretical maximum speed of euroDOCSIS 2.0. However that is shared with your neighbours on the same node, so you would never really see that speed.

You really need the new euroDOCSIS 3.0 modem to be able to get speeds of 50Mb/s in the real world. And from what is being reported here, people who sign up to 50Mb/s are getting the new modem.

So either your new modem will come in the post over the next few days or you should get back onto UPC.

dogpile wrote: »
    I know it's not BB but just noticed Sky Ireland have frozen their prices until 2013......are they running scared of UPC and the idea of losing alot of custom with these new prices and people taking up tv along with the BB?? Sky have been raising prices annually for the past number of years

A mixture of competition from UPC and also Freesat and Saorview.

Things are definitely heating up in the market.

But really Sky should be dropping their prices, not freezing them. There is really no justification for the price difference in Sky between UK and Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement