Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

After having been told that I couldn't do it I rang UPC this morning and asked to upgrade the the 50mbs. A few clicks later it was done and the modem will be here in a few days.

No need to go to the loyalty dept - maybe they were getting swamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 kenny10033

I was on 30MB Broadband with no phone,so with the standalone charge I was paying €49.74 a month.

I called today to upgrade to the 50MB with the basic phone package, I couldn't get it for €47 as I am not a new customer but it came to only €51 a month.(Without the phone it would have been €52.75!)

So only €1.26 to upgrade the broadband, get a new better modem and now I have a phone aswell!

I asked to install it myself so I didnt have to pay the €20 installation charge and if you tell them you were looking at the packages online but were confused so you called to order they will give you free delivery of the modem instead of the €20.

Would have liked to get the same value as the new customers but it still a pretty good deal all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

SickBoy wrote: »
    If you upgrade to a package that requires a new modem does the engineer take away the original modem or is this the customers property?

No they will take the old modem as this always remains their property. If you have a router also they will probably allow you to keep that.

I wonder how many people will order 100meg and then wonder why they cant get 100meg speeds over wireless G... it will be amusing.

kenny10033 wrote: »
    I was on 30MB Broadband with no phone,so with the standalone charge I was paying €49.74 a month.

I called today to upgrade to the 50MB with the basic phone package, I couldn't get it for €47 as I am not a new customer but it came to only €51 a month.(Without the phone it would have been €52.75!)

So only €1.26 to upgrade the broadband, get a new better modem and now I have a phone aswell!

I asked to install it myself so I didnt have to pay the €20 installation charge and if you tell them you were looking at the packages online but were confused so you called to order they will give you free delivery of the modem instead of the €20.

Would have liked to get the same value as the new customers but it still a pretty good deal all the same.

Call them back now and tell them you want the same as new customers you will get it. Anyone who kicks up a bit of a fuss will get it.

I did the same as you moved from 30 to 50meg then saw the 100meg with phone for 57 and lost the plot... needless to say they gave it to me with almost no issue once i got the loyalty dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

1290877415.png

Happy Days!

When they said between 9-12 they actually meant 9:01. Just as I was stepping into the shower :D

Weirdly, they also sent me the same old non wireless modem as I have just sent back with the courier.

The Thompson router has USB on the back, so it may be possible to use as a NAS device or print server. Will have a poke about to see.

Oh, big thanks to bk for this thread. You should be on commission!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

CorkMan wrote: »
    It is strange that the upload speed has been increased but not the download speed.
    it's unlikely that you'll see the download speed increase without the new modem.

the short version of why is that the 50mbps & 100mbps are using a new communications standard to allow the higher speeds, although it is all backwards compatible with existing equipment.

the theoretical maximum download speed for v2.0 of the euroDOCSIS standard is 55Mbit/s on the downstream and 30Mbit/s on the upstream, but this is a theoretical maximum and is still shared between you and some of your neighbours.

BUT the maximum available bandwidth 'per channel' on EuroDOCSIS v2.0 (what your old modem uses) is only just over 30MBit/s and the old modems & routers UPC used to give out only support the use of 1 downstream & 1 upstream channel at a time (the new thompson ones they're sending out support channel bonding up to 4 channels and v3.0 of EuroDOCSIS doesn't have a defined bonding limit at all from what i can see, so seemingly the sky is the limit :)).

as a result of this, 50Mbit/s is not an attainable figure on the downstream with your old modem/router if it is restricted to a single downstream channel, although 5Mbit/s on the upstream is still well within it's capabilities, so that's where you've seen the extra speed so far, until the new one arrives which supports v3.0. :)

there's a lot more info about DOCSIS on the wiki page if you're interested but you most likely already fell asleep reading this post as it is. :pac:

stimpson wrote: »
    Happy Days!

When they said between 9-12 they actually meant 9:01. Just as I was stepping into the shower :D

Weirdly, they also sent me the same old non wireless modem as I have just sent back with the courier.

The Thompson router has USB on the back, so it may be possible to use as a NAS device or print server. Will have a poke about to see.

you jammy dodger, i'm still waiting for him to arrive. :(

from what i can see in the user manual, the USB port is only for connecting it to your PC as an alternative to ethernet or wifi and doesn't offer any other connectivity options like usb hdd's or printers, but i'm open to correction.

double big thanks to bk for all his work on the thread considering the poor guy can't actually get any of these fancy new products yet. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

vibe666 wrote: »

double big thanks to bk for all his work on the thread

+1

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Just off the phone there now.Got through to a well clued in guy from sales who said there was nothing he could do as I am an existing customer but said if I was tempted to cancel he would put me through to the loyalty department, so of course I said I'd cancel. The guy in the loyalty department said he would give me the bundle I wanted if I stayed so signed up to the Fibre power ultimate. This will save me just over 20 quid a month coming off the old 30mb BB and basic digital service with the crappy Pace box, bit of a no brainer really. Only snag he said an engineer would have to come out and do the install for the 50mb BB even after I told him what I read on here about it being a self install. Maybe its area dependant or something whether its a self install. Have my appointment for this Saturday afternoon so happy days.

Roll on Saturday I want my 100meg!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Any 100mb speedtest results yet lads, getting mine installed tomorrow so would be nice to see some figures on actual speeds, only reason I went for the 100mb line was for the increased traffic quota...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Only snag he said an engineer would have to come out and do the install for the 50mb BB even after I told him what I read on here about it being a self install. Maybe its area dependant or something whether its a self install.
    its quite possible that they keep records of when each house was cabled up originally and that they think the engineer may need to come out to replace the box on the wall or something to ensure you get the correct speeds.

i'm just guessing though, mine's coming to do my 100mbps install sometime in the next 3 hours (fingers crossed) so i'll ask him when he's here, assuming i remember and i'm not too busy acting like an excited little schoolgirl. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

stimpson wrote: »

+100

slave1 wrote: »
    Any 100mb speedtest results yet lads, getting mine installed tomorrow so would be nice to see some figures on actual speeds, only reason I went for the 100mb line was for the increased traffic quota...
    i'm itching to get it installed so i can test it. :D

he's due any time now!

here's a nice 30mbps 'before' shot to be going on with, so it looks like i picked a good day for the upgrade, hopefully the 'after' is as close to the advertised speeds as this. :)

1290907524.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

its quite possible that they keep records of when each house was cabled up originally and that they think the engineer may need to come out to replace the box on the wall or something to ensure you get the correct speeds.

i'm just guessing though, mine's coming to do my 100mbps install sometime in the next 3 hours (fingers crossed) so i'll ask him when he's here, assuming i remember and i'm not too busy acting like an excited little schoolgirl. :D

Im in an apartment built in the last 4-5 years so as far as I know it's all new cables but don't mind as I only have to wait an extra couple of days, got all my extra channels already. They really need to up the auntie on this front.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

fionny wrote: »
    Roll on Saturday I want my 100meg!

+1 :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

(the new thompson ones they're sending out support channel bonding up to 4 channels and v3.0 of EuroDOCSIS doesn't have a defined bonding limit at all from what i can see, so seemingly the sky is the limit :))[/I].

Actually the specs for the new modem suggest it can handle 8 channels downstream and 4 channels upstream :D

That is why I asked for someone to report on the info in the connections page on the modem. I suspect UPC are only using 4 channels down and 1 channel up.

Thus future proofing the modem to allow much higher speeds in future (250Mb/s down, 50Mb/s up should realistically be doable with this modem, of course that would require network changes).
    double big thanks to bk for all his work on the thread considering the poor guy can't actually get any of these fancy new products yet. :(

You have no idea how depressing it is to read about all you guys getting these excellent service, when I'm stuck on 10Mb/s and my neighbours not 10 meters away can get 100Mb/s UPC :(

:D

bk wrote: »
    You have no idea how depressing it is to read about all you guys getting these excellent service, when I'm stuck on 10Mb/s and my neighbours not 10 meters away can get 100Mb/s UPC :(
    :D

Run a CAT6 Cable out across the way and pay half the BB to them :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Actually the specs for the new modem suggest it can handle 8 channels downstream and 4 channels upstream :D

That is why I asked for someone to report on the info in the connections page on the modem. I suspect UPC are only using 4 channels down and 1 channel up.

Looks like you are correct:

Downstream Channels
    Channel Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Symbol rate Frequency Power SNR
    1 Locked QAM256 2 5360537 2.4 dBmV 40.5 dB
    2 Locked QAM256 1 5360537 2.4 dBmV 39.4 dB
    3 Locked QAM256 3 5360537 2.6 dBmV 41.5 dB
    4 Locked QAM256 4 5360537 2.2 dBmV 40.2 dB
    5 Not Locked Unknown 0 Unknown 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
    6 Not Locked Unknown 0 Unknown 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
    7 Not Locked Unknown 0 Unknown 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
    8 Not Locked Unknown 0 Unknown 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB

Upstream Channels
    Channel Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Symbol Rate Frequency Power
    1 Locked QAM16 7 5120 Ksym/sec 43.7 dBmV
    2 Not Locked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0.0 dBmV
    3 Not Locked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0.0 dBmV
    4 Not Locked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0.0 dBmV

Oh, and I didn't find the default config user/pass in the documentation. If anyone needs it:

u:<blank>
    p: admin

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭SaKuRa

Have had the 100mb for a couple of months and its very consistant,downloading torrents at 9600kb/s or 9.6mb/s is great:D Edit:just downloaded something at 10810kb/s or 10.8mb/s

Gaming was bad for a few weeks recently,pinging 140ms to uk servers that are normally 48ms with a wired connection.Seemed to be a UPC problem only,as another Irish player on the server with UPC had identical pings.But back to normal now.

1290924208.png

40228879.png

All in all fair play to UPC,pretty bulletproof service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Cheers SaKuRa

Sorry if this has been asked before, but anyone know the modem model number etc

Thanks

And just to echo the thanks to BK for his work here.

Thus future proofing the modem to allow much higher speeds in future (250Mb/s down, 50Mb/s up should realistically be doable with this modem, of course that would require network changes).

you're welcome to come round and play if you like? :D

might be time to move house tho, unless you can wait to get to you?

although if you can't get UPC broadband at all, i've heard of someone in the UK who couldn't get broadband who solved the problem by canvassing his neighbours nearby (who could get it) offering to pay their broadband costs if they would let him install a point to point directional wifi link between his house and theirs so he get online via their connection.

come to think of it, i could be tempted to set up a wifi hotspot for my neighbours and offer 10 of them 1mbps wireless internet access for a fiver a month and that would almost pay the cost of my broadband and phone. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭SaKuRa

Thomson TWG870UIR

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but anyone know the modem model number etc.
    it's the Thompson TWG870 and the user manual is online here: www.upc-cablecom.ch/original_thomson_twg870_manual.pdf

EDIT: ooh, too slow. would have posted quicker if my 100mbps was installed already. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Cheers just wanted to get the size

Anyone moving to 50Mb or more, this is the modem on the bottom

Current upc modem on top,
    Smaller than I thought

http://www.plaatjesupload.nl/bekijk/2010/12/02/1291268277-290.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Vunderground

Just got the modem for the 50Mbs and its ticking over nicely.

1290949322.png

I then got onto customer service and then the loyalty dept and got on the Fiber Power Ultimate €75 no bother. Great deal saving me €15 or so and getting me from 20Mbs to 50Mbs and going from basic to best tv package.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Am waiting a call back from UPC on this. I don't have UPC at the moment, will there be an installation charge? I can see on the website that if you sign up online there is no charge but i entered my details via the boardsdeals url so will get a call back and sign up over the phone. Not sure if that counts?
    Also does the phone have to be directly connected to the modem? I would like the upc connection to terminate in my study rather than in the living room but i want the phone in the living room. If it does have to be directly connected to the modem can i just purchase a second phone?

Apologies if this has been asked already, have read through 11 pages and havent seen these questions!

mbroaders wrote: »
    Am waiting a call back from UPC on this. I don't have UPC at the moment, will there be an installation charge? I can see on the website that if you sign up online there is no charge but i entered my details via the boardsdeals url so will get a call back and sign up over the phone. Not sure if that counts?
    Also does the phone have to be directly connected to the modem? I would like the upc connection to terminate in my study rather than in the living room but i want the phone in the living room. If it does have to be directly connected to the modem can i just purchase a second phone?

Apologies if this has been asked already, have read through 11 pages and havent seen these questions!

I believe the boards deal entitles you to free installation.

Yes the phone has to be connected the modem but could get a multiple base setup if you wanted. The phone the provide is Cordless if you opted to get it.

mbroaders wrote: »

when i signed up for upc with the phone line they gave out a dual pack of wireless dect phones so i have the base station plugged into the modem & the other one upstairs.

going by the website, they will give you a single cordless dect phone for €15 and additional handset(s) for €35 if you need them.

the 1st phone does need a physical connection to your modem though, although some people have used the existing internal phone wiring (with some minor re-wiring) in their house to allow them to put their phone away from the modem in a more suitable position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Thanks guys, thats what i was hoping to hear :)

Advertisement