Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Just curious about what maximum speeds people are getting on 100mb. I'm currently on 30mb and when I download from Steam, for example, I get a top speed of 3.4mb/s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

grizzly wrote: »
    Just curious about what maximum speeds people are getting on 100mb. I'm currently on 30mb and when I download from Steam, for example, I get a top speed of 3.4mb/s.
    Max speed I got was in steam, 12.5mb/s but I don't get that in most downloads(even on steam).
    I'm currently downloading from steam at 3.4mb/s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

quick question for the experts, as i am totally confused

i have the 20 mb bb,phone with freetime pack and basic digital tv, works out at 67 per month

i rang them last month as i wanted to cancel the tv, they gave me some story about writing my cancellation request and the cost would include now the 7.50 charge

it seems that now i can get the 50mb and phone with freetime world, without the 7.50 charge for 47 a month

i definetly want to get this package, but if its for new customers only , does that mean i cant get it? what happens if i cancel everything and then rejoin? will i be a new customer then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I was happy out paying 80€ for my 100mb connection, but I'm definitely gonna drop the TV package altogether, and just get the 100mb and the phone for 57€. I'd be a fool not to. I can't even remember the last time I turned on the TV other than to play the Mega Drive. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Can you get 100MB with both TV and phone in a bundle? Where I live at the moment we wouldn't have any problem paying €90-€100 a month for the 3 as the broadband is used an awful lot, the gf buys blu-ray movies online an downloads them, they are like 35-45 GB a go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

bk wrote: »
    You really need the new euroDOCSIS 3.0 modem to be able to get speeds of 50Mb/s in the real world. And from what is being reported here, people who sign up to 50Mb/s are getting the new modem.

So either your new modem will come in the post over the next few days or you should get back onto UPC.

I'll keep an eye on my speeds and report back here.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

j4vier wrote: »
    i definetly want to get this package, but if its for new customers only , does that mean i cant get it? what happens if i cancel everything and then rejoin? will i be a new customer then?

Call sales, if they won't give you the package you want then threaten to leave and they will put you on to the loyalty department who should be able to give you what you want.

BTW don't forget to be nice to the staff on the phone, they are just doing their job.
    CorkMan wrote: »
    Can you get 100MB with both TV and phone in a bundle? Where I live at the moment we wouldn't have any problem paying €90-€100 a month for the 3 as the broadband is used an awful lot, the gf buys blu-ray movies online an downloads them, they are like 35-45 GB a go!

Yes, go to the following 50Mb bundle first, scroll down to Extra options and you can upgrade it to 100Mb for €10 extra (total €85):

http://www.upc.ie/deals/tvbroadbandphone/fibrepowerultimate/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sorry guys, I forgot about this, use the following link when ordering these new UPC packages to get a €50 voucher when you sign up :)

http://www.upc.ie/boardsoffer/

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Just curious now, and it doesn't affect me - but it seems there is now a charge for a cordless phone. So I presume the standard offering now will be some sort of basic wired type of phone....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Simon201 wrote: »
    Just curious now, and it doesn't affect me - but it seems there is now a charge for a cordless phone. So I presume the standard offering now will be some sort of basic wired type of phone....

I got the impression that you get nothing at all and are left to sort you own phone if you chose not to take their cordless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Jesus you're a bit late with that offer, what about all the boards people that signed up yesterday.

Skittle wrote: »
    Jesus you're a bit late with that offer, what about all the boards people that signed up yesterday.

Sorry, I know, I only spotted it over in the Bargains forum this morning.

BTW I don't work for UPC, in case anyone was wondering.

Simon201 wrote: »

No, if you don't take the cordless phone, then you just have to get your own phone. Which is fair enough as any standard phone will work with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

BTW I don't work for UPC, in case anyone was wondering.

Really, I always assumed yourself and Vibe666 were UPC employees seeing as Jason exited stage left ;)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

slave1 wrote: »
    Really, I always assumed yourself and Vibe666 were UPC employees seeing as Jason exited stage left ;)

If a person is a verified retail representitive its listed under their username.
    And what do you mean Jason exited stage left. He posted in the UPC thread yesterday.

slave1 wrote: »

Well if I did, then I definitely wouldn't be a mod of the Cable and Digital TV forums here on boards.

Jason is still around over on the Bargains forum.

It is a pity that UPC don't have their own commercial forum here on boards, like Eircom, o2, Vodafone, etc.

Perhpas with them launching on twitter, they will rethink launching a forum on boards, I think it would be good for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

Skittle wrote: »

How about thanking him for reminding people about it instead of giving out? Its been in bargain alerts since last February!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

Quick question about the logistics of the phone service... we've a number of phone jacks throughout the house and at the minute there's 3 phones in separate rooms as well as two sky boxes. We had Chorus a long long time ago, and the entry point for the cable is in our sitting room - if we were to get in UPC for phone and broadband I assume that they'd put the router where the cable enters, so would we be stuck with a single phone in the sitting room and SOL on the sky boxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

I have UPC digital tv coming into the sitting room is it possible to get the broadband installed into an upstairs bedroom or would I have to use their wireless system?

If I do have to use the wireless is it any good if you use the usb dongle they are offering?

ttcomet wrote: »
    I have UPC digital tv coming into the sitting room is it possible to get the broadband installed into an upstairs bedroom or would I have to use their wireless system?

If I do have to use the wireless is it any good if you use the usb dongle they are offering?

They can move it out further for you if you really want but will prob charge for it.

Wireless is ok but if you are going for 100meg and want real speed id either get ethernet cabling in or what I use is the Home plug option:

Belkin 1GBPS Homeplug Set

Im very happy with them.

• Advertisement

There is not really anything installed as such, there is a hole in the wall to the outside and a cable comes through that. The cable connects directly to the set top box for the tv, there is no outlet box on the wall.

mfdc wrote: »
    Quick question about the logistics of the phone service... we've a number of phone jacks throughout the house and at the minute there's 3 phones in separate rooms as well as two sky boxes. We had Chorus a long long time ago, and the entry point for the cable is in our sitting room - if we were to get in UPC for phone and broadband I assume that they'd put the router where the cable enters, so would we be stuck with a single phone in the sitting room and SOL on the sky boxes?

If the phone line is near the UPC box, you could wire the phone line into the UPC box and continue to use the other phones, however I don't think UPC will do this for you.

Most people just use cordless phones. You can get multiple handsets for multiple rooms pretty cheap from Argos, etc.

Yes, you can get it moved, but there maybe an extra charge for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

mfdc wrote: »

You would need to disconnect the phone line where it enters the house.
    Then run a cable from the router to there.
    Or even run a cable from the router and into the back of any of your phone sockets (as they're all connected), but you must be sure the sockets are disconnected from the eircom line or damage could occur.

They said they would move the router upstairs for a 40 euro installation fee.
    However they would only offer me the 85 euro a month package (digital max/50 Mb/anytime phone) for 91.99 euro which seems a little unfair.

Do I need to kick up a fuss and get through to the customer loyalty team to get it at 85?

ttcomet wrote: »
    Do I need to kick up a fuss and get through to the customer loyalty team to get it at 85?

Pretty much ya, just say your unhappy that you are being put at a disadvantage just because your a loyal customer...

I just rechecked the site and all they are doing is adding the phone plus broadband on top of the price for the tv (well they are giving us a 2 euro or so discount off the tv only price that we currently pay)

They will cave if you push the issue dont worry.

Worst case scenario is you cancel and sign up again :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Don't know why you should apologise for this. Unless I'm wrong you are a volunteer here. I'm grateful you posted the info you did.

Sorry, I know, I only spotted it over in the Bargains forum this morning.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

No, if you don't take the cordless phone, then you just have to get your own phone. Which is fair enough as any standard phone will work with it.

oh dear yes you're probably right about that one looking at it now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Just had a call from the courier. Modem to arrive tomorrow morning between 9 and 12.

But I want it NOW, godamnit.

Advertisement