Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

Markronan wrote: »
    Anyone here from galway, they said 50mb wasnt available in my area in westside circular road galway, i went from 20mb to 25mb today but wanted 50mb. My line does stretch out to nearly 30mb if downloading from filesonic. So i find it hard to believe i cant get 50mb, i ordered no problem but they rang back and said it wasnt available. For any existing customers having trouble just ask to be put through to loyalty team to get a bundle no problem. The new customer rule is crap and should be illegal. So anyone near my area or from galway with 50mb or 100mb???

Waterford isnt upgraded yet to the 50/100 meg packages, so unfortunately Galway aint the only place with this issue, rep said to me middle of the summer,she didnt say which summer though

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I was looking to switch to the 100mb package but it's not available in Lucan at the moment so I'm stuck on the slow ( ;) ) 30mb package. I got them to give me the basic phone package for €6 per month. Now I don't have to pay the 7:75 standalone charge saving my self 1:75 per month! :pac:

Now I've another phone line for making crank calls on! :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

bk wrote: »
    Nope, not sure, you may well be right.

my engineer install for BB,phone and tv on saturday was €20, the guy today was saying it's €40 for the new packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Markronan

Yep my bills gone down from 98 to 83 a month and have an extra 5mb BB but i wanted the 50mb. Better be available soon fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

it's forty but you get twenty discount for ordering online and a further Twenty for doing a self install.

• Advertisement

I've been bumped up to 12 meg automatically. Tried rebooting my modem for the craic but sure enough it worked.

1290074236.png

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

adrian522 wrote: »
    my engineer install for BB,phone and tv on saturday was €20, the guy today was saying it's €40 for the new packages.

If you use the link from Bargain Alerts the install is free. I filled out the form there and they rang me back. Upgrading from the now 10 MB to 50 MB for an extra €15 a month but get the phone as well. Being installed on Sat for free (confirmed with agent and said it was part of boards deal) with new router and €50 voucher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

hey lads

got a text of upc earlier saying as "valued customer i have been upgraded" im with upc 3 months and have the 30 meg hd package,

does anyone know what i was upgraded to, it told me to check my online account and check message but there was nothing there

Has anyone actually succeeded in ordering the 100 Mb service? And if so for how much?

It's not available yet where I live, and won't be for another 2-3 months. Plus, the sales guy told me it would cost an extra €23 compared to what I'm paying for my 30 Mb bundle at the moment. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

bonoman66 wrote: »
    Yep - I'm the same - 100Meg due to be installed this Sat & have to pay €40 with Engineer etc..

Its weird alright that some people seem to have managed to get self installs & some not, along with different prices for the installs.

I was told the modem was free but there was a €40 activation charge :)

I guess at the end of the day - overall, if its works the way I hope it'll work, its very good value for money anyway so I'm not very upset about it (but of course I'd rather have the €40 in my pocket ;) )
    If you apply online through "My Upc" they dont charge any installation fees.
    Ive upgraded to 50meg from 30, Im paying 2 euro extra which is nothing for nearly double the speeds..how are some peoples packages working out cheaper when they upgrade though???:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Thank God UPC just finished installing cable in my area... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭Nollog

If you apply online through "My Upc" they dont charge any installation fees.
    Ive upgraded to 50meg from 30, Im paying 2 euro extra which is nothing for nearly double the speeds..how are some peoples packages working out cheaper when they upgrade though???:confused:

"triple play" is getting to be a great deal is how.
    How do I upgrade via myupc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Upgraded to 50MB today. ATM the upload speed has increased from 1.4MB to 4.95MB, but the download speed is still the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Has anyone actually succeeded in ordering the 100 Mb service? And if so for how much?

It's not available yet where I live, and won't be for another 2-3 months. Plus, the sales guy told me it would cost an extra €23 compared to what I'm paying for my 30 Mb bundle at the moment. :cool:
    i have an engineer coming out in the morning to install mine, i'm in navan.

if you don't have the triple play on the 30mbps at the moment, it works out at €49.74 per month inc. the standalone charge (even if you have the phone with them), but the 100mbps is €65 on its own, but if you have the phone and freetime world calls package (or TV, or both) too, they give you the 100mbps for €57 with no standalone charge.

since i already have the phone with them and i'm paying for what amounts to the freetime world bundle for €17.99 a month plus my 30mbps for €42 plus the €7.75 standalone, unless my maths is wrong (and it feels like it should be) i'm basically going to be getting an extra 70mbps on my broadband for €10 LESS a month at €57 for the freetime world & 100mbps bundle. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭Nollog

CorkMan wrote: »
    Upgraded to 50MB today. ATM the upload speed has increased from 1.4MB to 4.95MB, but the download speed is still the same.

try restarting the modem (plug out and in)

vibe666 wrote: »

if you don't have the triple play on the 30mbps at the moment, it works out at €49.74 per month inc. the standalone charge (even if you have the phone with them), but the 100mbps is €65 on its own, but if you have the phone and freetime world calls package (or TV, or both) too, they give you the 100mbps for €57 with no standalone charge.

since i already have the phone with them and i'm paying for what amounts to the freetime world bundle for €17.99 a month plus my 30mbps for €42 plus the €7.75 standalone, unless my maths is wrong (and it feels like it should be) i'm basically going to be getting an extra 70mbps on my broadband for €10 LESS a month at €57 for the freetime world & 100mbps bundle. :D
    Why not get 20mb more for 20 euro less?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I never seem to get full speed, my max speed seems stuck at 14-15meg but my upload has just gone up to 2 meg i see

(granted could be my crappy old linksys wifi router)

Edit, its my crappy old linksys wifi router, get 20meg wired, upload still 2 meg)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Did the order online to upgrade to the 50mb plus the phone / free calls and getting a new digital + box and I still save €10 per month. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

I Also upgraded from 20mb to 50mb today. My speed has dropped from a solid 19.5 to 12 - 13mb now and upload seems to be at 2mb now (think it never went much above 1.5mb before). I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until I get the new modem.

I think the guy I was talking to mustn't have realised I've got phone and TV as well. Mind you, the fact that I told him this - twice - during the conversation is a bit disconcerting.

I've got 30 Mb at the moment, plus a HD subscription and Digital Max in another room, and their phone service with "Anytime" added on. I think I'm going to be safe enough assuming that I'll get the 100 Mb (when it arrives) for €57 and not €65.

I think. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Decaydub

cgc5483 wrote: »
    If you use the link from Bargain Alerts the install is free. I filled out the form there and they rang me back. Upgrading from the now 10 MB to 50 MB for an extra €15 a month but get the phone as well. Being installed on Sat for free (confirmed with agent and said it was part of boards deal) with new router and €50 voucher

I got the same deal - no charge and the voucher, none of this "new customer only" bs. Going from 20Mb BB (with basic Digital+) to 50Mb and phone for an extra €5.25 a month :)
    Apparently need an engineer install for the 50MB (I said I'd do it myself but no joy) but that could just be to get the Cisco back.... Saturday is the earliest they can do it, guy said they're unbelievably busy.
    Speed already increased though, getting ~30Mb from the Cisco, roll on Saturday!

• Advertisement

Ronan wrote: »
    I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until I get the new modem.

I think you should. The same thing happened to me when I upgraded from 20 Mb to 30 Mb when it became available. My speed dropped from 19+ to around 10-12 for a few days until they sent me a new modem.

Ronan wrote: »
    I Also upgraded from 20mb to 50mb today. My speed has dropped from a solid 19.5 to 12 - 13mb now and upload seems to be at 2mb now (think it never went much above 1.5mb before). I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until I get the new modem.

Do they install a new modem?

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Why not get 20mb more for 20 euro less?
    because it's only half as fast as the 100mbps and the extra 50mbps i'll be getting is well worth that €10 for what it will be used for imho, particularly as its still €10 less than i'm currently paying for 30mbps & phone. :)

if it was still €80 + phone then i'd probably go for the 50mbps at a lower price, but for the money why wouldn't anyone go for the 100mbps if they have the opportunity? :confused:

one of the biggest things for me personally is the increased upload speed, so 7mbps (and hopefully 10mbps before too long, fingers crossed) is very welcome too.

my current internet is great, but i've been thrashing the carp out of that 30mbps regularly every month (and the 20mbps before that) and since hetting a HTPC connected to the LCD TV i've been watching a lot of HD stuff and increasingly i find myself quite often having to plan ahead and hold back on big downloads till nearer the end of the month so the extra speed & cap will be getting put to very good use. :)

might be time to buy another disk for the NAS. :D
    you need a new modem for the 50mbps & 100mbps but you can self install the 50mbps, you DO need an engineer out for the 100mbps, even tho it's the same modem as extra checks need to be done to ensure you are able to get the higher speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Decaydub

For the 50 & 100 they do, I think it's this one - http://tinyurl.com/67pnbuk rather than the Cisco a lot of people currently have (the EPC2425).

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

They will come out and install if you want to, or you can do the self install, which is just plugging it in and configuring it.

for anyone getting the 50mbps or 100mbps installed, (or potentially new customers too on lower packages depending on available stock) wanting to have a flick through the specs & setup options on the new thompson (now renamed technicolour) modem/router, the full manual for it is available here: http://www.upc-cablecom.ch/original_thomson_twg870_manual.pdf

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

for anyone getting the 50mbps or 100mbps installed, (or potentially new customers too on lower packages depending on available stock) wanting to have a flick through the specs & setup options on the new thompson (now renamed technicolour) modem/router, the full manual for it is available here: http://www.upc-cablecom.ch/original_thomson_twg870_manual.pdf

Or simply nosy bastards like me :D

Can anyone who has this modem and the 100Mb/s service do the following:

1) Login at http://192.168.0.1
    Username: "" empty
    Password: "admin"

2) Go to Gateway tab

3) Go to the Connections link on the left hand side

4) Let us know how many of both the downstream and upstream channels are locked?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭SickBoy

If you upgrade to a package that requires a new modem does the engineer take away the original modem or is this the customers property?

bk wrote: »
    Or simply nosy bastards like me :D

Can anyone who has this modem and the 100Mb/s service do the following:

1) Login at http://192.168.0.1
    Username: "" empty
    Password: "admin"

2) Go to Gateway tab

3) Go to the Connections link on the left hand side

4) Let us know how many of both the downstream and upstream channels are locked?
    i'll let you know at some stage tomorrow, sometime between 9am & 1pm according to the nice lady who called me this afternoon to confirm. :D

i really should be asleep, i'm working from 7am (from home) so i'll be needing some beauty sleep, i'm just such a sad sack that i'm too excited. :D

• Advertisement

Decaydub wrote: »
    For the 50 & 100 they do, I think it's this one - http://tinyurl.com/67pnbuk rather than the Cisco a lot of people currently have (the EPC2425).

It is strange that the upload speed has been increased but not the download speed.

Advertisement