Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currys UPC offer with €250 voucher

Options
  • 10-01-2011 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭

UPC in association with The Carphone Warehouse, D.I.D Electrical, Currys & PC World

Customers who successfully subscribe to and install one of the following UPC Bundles (as set out in point 1(a)) in any Carphone Warehouse, D.I.D Electrical, PC World or Currys Store (the “Retailer”) between 4 January 2011 and 2 May 2011 can qualify (subject to availability and terms and conditions) for a gift card worth €250 to exchange against a free netbook with a RRP of €250 (model dependent on retailer, details available instore) or to spend against any product available from the Retailer. Customers who successfully subscribe to and install one of the following UPC Bundles (as set out in point 1(b)) in any Carphone Warehouse, D.I.D Electrical, PC World or Currys Store (the “Retailer”) between 4 January 2011 and 2 May 2011 can qualify (subject to availability and terms and conditions) for a gift card worth €125 to exchange against a free HD TV with a RRP of 125 (model dependent on retailer, details available instore) or to spend against any product available from the Retailer. To be eligible for this gift card offer you must subscribe to one of the following UPC Bundle Services (or High Definition equivalent versions) in any Carphone Warehouse, D.I.D Electrical, PC World or Currys store; (Not valid with any other retail offers).

1.(a) New Customer Triple Play Bundles;
    FIBRE FREEDOM STARTER, FIBRE FREEDOM RAPID, FIBRE FREEDOM SPORT, FIBRE FREEDOM ULTIMATE

1.(b) Or add one of these Broadband and Phone packs to your existing UPC TV service:
    FIBRE 10, FIBRE 20, FIBRE 30
    2. For the avoidance of doubt, the UPC Bundle services set out in clause 1(a) apply to new customers only and services set out in clause 1(b) apply to existing TV customers to avail of this offer.
    3. All services within the UPC bundle must be successfully installed in order to be eligible for this offer.
    4. Agreement of sale will be made only on proof of correct customer identity, bank account details and payment by Direct Debit.
    5. Confirmation of your order will include a ticket number, this is your reference for your order. If you have ordered products in Carphone Warehouse, D.I.D Electrical, PC World or Currys, have yet to be installed, and would like to make any changes, please call our retail support desk on 1890 940 635 and quote your ticket number. This number is valid Monday to Sunday between the hours of 10am to 6pm.
    6. Following the successful installation of your UPC bundle, UPC will notify the relevant Carphone Warehouse, D.I.D Electrical, PC World or Currys Store where you ordered from.
    7. NOTE: This is a Carphone Warehouse, D.I.D Electrical, PC World or Currys offer and Carphone Warehouse, D.I.D Electrical, PC World or Currys are responsible for sending the eligible customer the €125 or €250 gift card by post within 30 days of successful installation of the UPC bundle service. Any queries in relation to this offer or the payment of the €125 or €250 gift cards should be directed to the Carphone Warehouse, D.I.D Electrical, PC World or Currys Store directly or via the UPC retail support team on retailsales@upc.ie quoting your ticket number.
    Basically if you're a new customer and sign up for one of their bundles you get a €250 voucher in the post once your first direct debit has gone through.

I was paying €40 p/m for a shìte 8mb broadband service from Vodafone and about €32 for the basic packages from SKY.

By going with UPC I get:

• a 20mb broadband line (uncontested)
    • free local, national and international calls off-peak
    • ESPN and Setanta sports channels
    • a nice mix of HD channels including ESPN and Setanta.
    • An easy to use HD box with dvr so you can record around 80 hours of tv
    All for a monthly cost of around €70 p/m.

You can choose self install, or have an engineer call around as I did. Set up is easy and the engineers will have you ready to go in half an hour.

Activation cost me €60 so I'm still €190 up with this offer.

Have to say having been a customer for just under a month I'm very impressed with their broadband, it's miles ahead of Vodafone and you have a 250gig monthly allowance as opposed to the 40gig that Vodafone offer and the DVR HD box is a nice piece of kit, much better than the SKY HD Thompson box that breaks down and needs resetting every few days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Morgans

This looks a good deal. DId calling out an engineer to install the package cost more? Is that the same as activation? Or are they two separate charges?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Morgans wrote: »
    This looks a good deal. DId calling out an engineer to install the package cost more? Is that the same as activation? Or are they two separate charges?

Thanks

No all I paid was the €60 to have everything installed and activated. I think it might cost less(€30) if you self-install but I'm not 100% sure on that. If you call into your local Curry's they'll tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

These might be questions more appropriate to the TV forums, but since this has come up, can I ask the following...

What interface does UPC present for phones? What I mean is... can you use an existing phone with their system, or do you just get a special phone they provide? I ask because I have multiple DECT phones which I like to continue using.

Also, as a former cable customer, all I have is a 5cm cable sticking out from under my skirting board with a screw on connector. Is that all I need?

Ix.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I've had my broadband with UPC since they offered it in my area many years ago and it is by far the best and fastest available in the country (on 30Mbps now and considering upgrading to 100Mbps when it becomes available)

Recently upgraded to triple play with their max package. No download limit and unlimited worldwide anytime landline calls for a total of €85 per month

2 engineers spend 2.5 hours each upgrading all my hardware including a HD hard disk recorder, another hard disk recorder, a telephone, a new modem and they replaced all boxes and all wires. All completely free of charge (I have been a UPC customer for 13 years though and I did ask for a favour for a loyal customer when ordering the upgrade over the phone)

And for those who must have Sky sports, you can get this on UPC now too - for an additional fee ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

ixtlan wrote: »
    What interface does UPC present for phones? What I mean is... can you use an existing phone with their system, or do you just get a special phone they provide? I ask because I have multiple DECT phones which I like to continue using.

Their broadband modems have two standard telephone ports.

• Advertisement

These might be questions more appropriate to the TV forums, but since this has come up, can I ask the following...

Also, as a former cable customer, all I have is a 5cm cable sticking out from under my skirting board with a screw on connector. Is that all I need?

Ix.

I'm not familiar with your phone system however they set me up with a Cisco wireless router that has a regular female phone connection. Plugged into this connection I have a Siemens Gigaset AS180 cordless handset that UPC provided FOC with the deal.

Regarding your wire sticking out, you'd probably be better off asking over in the Cable & Digital TV forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Got this myself back in October. Couldn't be happier. Not to say there hasn't been any problems but the positives completely outweigh the negatives.

Signed up in currys on the old 85euro package and for that get 30mb bb, all the channels excluding sky sports and movies and anytime world which gives free local national and international landline calls to 21 countries.

On top of this we received the 250euro voucher to currys or pc world with which I purchased a 10 socket surge protector, all in one printer, hoover and a food processor.

The only problem we had was in receiving the voucher. It took a bit longer than expected but Declan from currys sorted that all out asap and was very helpful.

Problems with upc, the box isnt the best and loses its connection now and again and also sometimes the BB slows down. Browsing is still fine but downloading can be a bit slow. Mind you this happens very rarely.

One thing I wish upc had though was more hd channels and I would definitely get sky sports if they had hd.

IMHO this is an absolute bargain, and I for one have had very few problems and am delighted with the service.

What interface does UPC present for phones?

The modem has 2 analog phone connections (RJ11). You can use your DECT phones on these
    I have multiple DECT phones which I like to continue using.

Here's a tip, but I don't know if it applies to you. I physically cut off the Eircom landline going into my house 6 years ago. I connected one of my phone points into the ATA (provided by Blueface - this works in a similar way as the UPC setup) and that meant I can still use all the original phone points in my house :D

Haven't tried with the UPC modem, but I bet it will work as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Hi folks,
    Looks like a good deal. I want to avail of the FIBRE FREEDOM STARTER package. I was going to sign up online to avoid any charges, so sort of confused now. Can someone put in plain english....

What charges am I faced with by going in an ordering in Curry's as opposed to online? I basically want to see what the net benefit of ordering in Curry's is, as opposed to online. I plan to do a self-install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

I've got two installations from UPC myself and never had a days trouble with either. Apart from the occasional free upgrade:)

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    Looks like a good deal. I want to avail of the FIBRE FREEDOM STARTER package. I was going to sign up online to avoid any charges, so sort of confused now. Can someone put in plain english....

What charges am I faced with by going in an ordering in Curry's as opposed to online? I basically want to see what the net benefit of ordering in Curry's is, as opposed to online. I plan to do a self-install.

The max you will be charged for having an engineer call to you and install the Fiber Freedom package is €60.

You can call into Curry's and sign up for a self install. UPC will ring you and advise you if you can do a self install or not. If you can do a self install it will probably cost you less than €60 euros, I THINK it costs €30 but UPC will be able to advise you.

UPC will ring you to confirm whether you can self-install or not and you are free to cancel your order at any stage, signing up for the deal in-store with Curry's does not mean that you HAVE to go ahead with it. You pay nothing until the installation is completed by the engineer.

If you book it through Curry's you are entitled to the €250 Curry's/PC World voucher so if you have to pay €60 euros for the install you are still €190 euros better off by signing up with Curry's. If you book it online you get no voucher.

Does that help?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

TheZohan wrote: »
    The max you will be charged for having an engineer call to you and install the Fiber Freedom package is €60.

You can call into Curry's and sign up for a self install. UPC will ring you and advise you if you can do a self install or not. If you can do a self install it will probably cost you less than €60 euros, I THINK it costs €30 but UPC will be able to advise you.

UPC will ring you to confirm whether you can self-install or not and you are free to cancel your order at any stage, signing up for the deal in-store with Curry's does not mean that you HAVE to go ahead with it. You pay nothing until the installation is completed by the engineer.

If you book it through Curry's you are entitled to the €250 Curry's/PC World voucher. If you book it online you get no voucher.

Does that help?

Perfect, thank you for the info.

Will call into Curry's next week if we get teh gaf sorted. Do I go straight to the checkout or where??

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Perfect, thank you for the info.

Will call into Curry's next week if we get teh gaf sorted. Do I go straight to the checkout or where??

Yup, straight to the checkout. They have leaflets at various points around the store that you can have a look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭tronman

I currently have UPC's 8gb broadband package, but have Sky as my TV provider. In simple terms:
    - Would I qualify for a voucher if I switched my TV to UPC?
    - I'm a bit confused by installation charges. Assuming I chose to self-install, how much would it cost me? Do I need to pay for the actual box too?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

hmm is this available in Kilcullen,kildare? Their map says Naas and Newbridge so maybe possible. Paying about €100 for the three as it is for a 3mb line.

tronman wrote: »
    I currently have UPC's 8gb broadband package, but have Sky as my TV provider. In simple terms:
    - Would I qualify for a voucher if I switched my TV to UPC?
    - I'm a bit confused by installation charges. Assuming I chose to self-install, how much would it cost me? Do I need to pay for the actual box too?

Thanks in advance

I don't think so.

As quoted in the first post a voucher to the value of €125 is available to existing TV customers that take a broadband and phone package. Best thing would be to call into a local store and ask.

matchthis wrote: »
    hmm is this available in Kilcullen,kildare? Their map says Naas and Newbridge so maybe possible. Paying about €100 for the three as it is for a 3mb line.

Ring UPC and give them your address, they should be able to tell you there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 packiec50

I am on a package with UPC for a couple of years now.
    I am paying ~E70 for TV (no espn or HD), phone and 15MB BB.

Does anyone know if I could qualify for something like this?
    Could I cancel and reapply again or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭tronman

packiec50 wrote: »

Sounds like you should defo be getting more for your money. I'm sure UPC has better specs for cheaper now. You should at the very least ring them up as see if you qualify for a free upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

packiec50 wrote: »

If you've been a customer for a few years you should be able to avail of customer loyalty. Check out this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

This sounds perfect for me, looking for a new place at the moment and also need a new TV. Problem is would I be waiting a few weeks to get the voucher? Kind of crap having the whole TV package but nothing to watch it on?

• Advertisement

This sounds perfect for me, looking for a new place at the moment and also need a new TV. Problem is would I be waiting a few weeks to get the voucher? Kind of crap having the whole TV package but nothing to watch it on?

The voucher is sent out after they take the first direct debit payment. I had mine installed on the 16th of December, direct debit went out the 4th of January and I had my vouchers on the 7th of Jan (thanks to Declan on the Curry's talkto forum).

You will be waiting for the voucher, that's guaranteed but it shouldn't take too long. With Eircom, Vodafone and SKY you don't get anything back so you're still way ahead with this deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

unkel wrote: »
    The modem has 2 analog phone connections (RJ11). You can use your DECT phones on these
    with the one caveat being that they need to be reasonably new DECT phones to work. i got some older BT DECT phones from Argos, but they would not work as (apparently) they needed to be compatible with a digital line, which some older DECT handsets aren't.

to be fair though, mine were about 6 years old. UPC did provide me with a new pair of handsets, but there's no handsfree on them or anything, and they're pretty basic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I switch my provider to UPC there last week . Do you think if I rang them up and asked if I get this voucher or would I be told to phek off ?

I got the 30MB BB, it's class not problems with it. The routher is a bit of a wild cat on the wireless. Can be a bit tricky, bit of fiddling with the channel settings changing it to 12 fixed it.

Do you think I should ring and ask? Wouldn't mind a 250€ voucher for currys..

I also upgraded all my old NTL boxes to the new UPC ones and added the telephone .

vibe666 wrote: »
    with the one caveat being that they need to be reasonably new DECT phones to work. i got some older BT DECT phones from Argos, but they would not work as (apparently) they needed to be compatible with a digital line, which some older DECT handsets aren't.

to be fair though, mine were about 6 years old. UPC did provide me with a new pair of handsets, but there's no handsfree on them or anything, and they're pretty basic.

I bought my DECT phones (big Panasonics) in '00. They still work on my Blueface VOIP setup :)

(Haven't tried them on UPC yet though, but I can't see any difference - the technology is the same as far as I'm aware)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

No fiber in my area so might hang on for this little toy from UPC. http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2010/10/15/first-pictures-of-upc-horizon-gateway/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

tried everything with them, but could never get them to work. posted on here and the best anyone could come up with was that they weren't compatible with the digital line UPC use.

ended up throwing them out in the end. :(

msg11 wrote: »
    I switch my provider to UPC there last week . Do you think if I rang them up and asked if I get this voucher or would I be told to phek off ?

Yes, it's an instore offer only.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭pelemcg

So as a current UPC customer if you take up a broadband package through this offer, you pay an installation fee (amiunt unknown) but get a €125 voucher.

Do you also get a free router as you would by signing up online?

pelemcg wrote: »
    So as a current UPC customer if you take up a broadband package through this offer, you pay an installation fee (amiunt unknown) but get a €125 voucher.

Do you also get a free router as you would by signing up online?

You have to add a broadband and phone package, with that you get a free wireless router and a wireless phone handset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

Am I missing something here, or is this more open offer, considerably better then the boards.ie exclusive one?

going to be signing up with upc within the fortnight, and will be availing of one, or both (? lol) of these offers

Advertisement