Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Its me again. The thing has finally been ordered thanks to Customer Loyalty getting back to me next day. Modem promised - no day of arrival guaranteed yet. This is not important as I know that HM's visit will screw up couriers not to mention demand on UPC.

One question ? - when the courier eventually arrives with my 50 Mb modem must I have my existing 30 Mb line disconnnected already ?...i.e what happens ?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

Hi all got 50mb installed yesteday im getting 49mb on wired and 19mb on wireless. Its was self install so it was straight forward just plug it in. When i rang upc no questions asked.
    So here is my deal
    Front room: HD with digital+ and espn, no skysports or movies.
    One point in the kitchen: with digital+ and espn, no HD or skysports or movies.
    Telephone: with free time world.
    As said 50mb brodband.
    Total each month 85euro. Was 90 euro with just 30mb broadband before ringing upc.

So what have you got and what are you paying.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

SickBoy wrote: »
    Got 100meg installed Thursday evening and it wasn't provisioned and needed some manual work the following day but it's up and running now and I couldn't be happier :D
    1295901225.png

Now need to work out how to get this connection to my PC upstairs without upsetting wifey with untidy cabling. I'm guessing wireless N will not be enough and I'm thinking of either running a cable somehow or going down the route of Powerline adapters.
    Is there any major downside to Powerline adapter? I can live with the radio sounding like sh!t :)

The speed isn't as high as they are rated so you could buy 200Mbps ones and you might still not get the full 100Mbps from your broadband. They usually don't work through surge protectors as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

wush06 wrote: »
    Hi all got 50mb installed yesteday im getting 49mb on wired and 19mb on wireless.

Have a read of this post , on the first day I got my 100Mb installed when I was testing the wireless the only device that was connecting was the laptop with wireless n support and the wireless speed was over 50Mb.

Then I changed the settings in the new router to match the old device and that allowed b / g devices to connect to the thomson but that effected the laptop speed and it would not get above 20Mb.

Changed it back so that only the laptop had the right ssid to connect to the modem and the download speeds changed back to the 50Mb range.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

fionny wrote: »
    So my 100meg was installed today!

Here is my previous 30meg speedtest: (NOTE THIS WAS VIA POWERPLUGS)

1293066337.png

Here is the new 100meg: (THIS WAS WIRED CAT5E, the powerplugs which were "supposed to be gigabit were only pulling 50meg max sadly will be flogging them on I guess.)

1295839141.png

On UPC's own speedtest I was hitting 105meg Download and 10.5meg upload.

It was provisioned within 10minutes, seems I was one of the lucky ones.

Nice one fionny - well done & nice result.

My own upload has improved over the last few hours. I guess I just may need to wait a little for it to stabilize (hopefully) & I'll check back in with UPC on Mon if its still acting up.

1296022166.png

Enjoy the rest of the weekend ;)

• Advertisement

Sorry to bump this but -

One question ? - when the courier eventually arrives with my 50 Mb modem must I have my existing 30 Mb line disconnnected already ?...i.e what happens ?

I don't want to be completely disconnected, nor am I sure what to hand the courier when he arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Just disconnect it when he comes, its only a matter unscrewing 1 thing and plugging it out, no biggie.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Sorry to bump this but -

I don't want to be completely disconnected, nor am I sure what to hand the courier when he arrives.

All you have to do is unscrew and remove the TV cable in the black modem (this is the one you give back) and screw the same TV cable into the new modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

Just disconnect it when he comes, its only a matter unscrewing 1 thing and plugging it out, no biggie.

Unless you're in the shower when he calls :)

Thanks fionny and Damo....your contribution was also valued, Stimpson - so its easy enough providing you don't wash between now and then :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

Sorry to bump this but -

As far as I can gather at some stage the courier must confirm the delivery to UPC because when I got home my old modem wasn't working (had the thompson delivered to work) because they had changed the "working" modem MAC address to the new one they had sent me.

Someone more technical than I might confirm or deny that. I am nearly sure they have to turn the MAC address/modem on, on their side. Other wise in theory if you had two TV points you could have two modems "working"

Then again maybe when you turn on the new Thompson it happens automatically!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

As far as I can gather at some stage the courier must confirm the delivery to UPC because when I got home my old modem wasn't working (had the thompson delivered to work) because they had changed the "working" modem MAC address to the new one they had sent me.

Someone more technical than I might confirm or deny that. I am nearly sure they have to turn the MAC address/modem on, on their side. Other wise in theory if you had two TV points you could have two modems "working"
    yep, that's pretty much exactly it. they need to basically allow the mac address of your router on the network before it will work.

when the installer comes, they call HQ and get your new MAC address assigned to your account and once that's worked it's way through the network you'll be able to get online again the next time your new modem/router tries to connect.

they call it 'provisioning' (if you ever hear them talking about it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

vibe666 wrote: »
    yep, that's pretty much exactly it. they need to basically allow the mac address of your router on the network before it will work.

when the installer comes, they call HQ and get your new MAC address assigned to your account and once that's worked it's way through the network you'll be able to get online again the next time your new modem/router tries to connect.

they call it 'provisioning' (if you ever hear them talking about it).

That is what I thought but there must be some way they are doing it as a lot of people are going for the self install route.

Though I was always under the impression they would like you to ring the self installation help line... I wonder how much that is a minute :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Just bumping this up

NeVeR wrote: »
    Hi Lads.

Sorry it this has been asked but it's to many post to read.

I'm on pack that had 20MB/Sky HD/ Movies/Phone etc.

I didn't even know about upgrade to 25MB since i read it here.

I did a few test this evening and was only getting 19.something MB

I restarted my modem and was still getting this

1294868518.png

Do i have to ring them or something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

NeVeR wrote: »
    Just bumping this up

Aye, you'll have to call them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭dodzy

Ordered the 50mb yesterday for home install. An extra 3 quid per mth compared to the 30mb....plus a 50 quid voucher for DID through the boards offer. Lubly jubly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Nope, you have to pay for it, those who did get it were just lucky.
    What does the usb network adapter do and why would you need one??

I was on 30Mb BB with a standalone charge up until yesterday (Sat 14th) when I had a new bundle installed - 100Mb BB + Home Phone with Anytime World for a total of €62 Per Month & No Standalone Charge.

Anyway - the install was done yesterday & things are looking good with regards to new upload & download speeds (little erratic but I've just giving it time to settle).

However I was annoyed to see that UPC had changed the products assigned to me on my UPC logon profile - removing the ref ro the Fibre Power 30Mb BB & updating it with 100Mb + Phone BUT they forgot to remove the Standalone Charge!!

Obviously I've sent them an online form notification (as I can't call them today) but I'll call them to back that up tomorrow. Very sloppy on their part for them to bother updating my details & not removing the Standalone Charge reference.

UPC-Products.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Mine is the same

[QUOTE=bonoman66;72230112
    removing the ref ro the Fibre Power 30Mb BB & updating it with 100Mb + Phone BUT they forgot to remove the Standalone Charge!!

Obviously I've sent them an online form notification (as I can't call them today) but I'll call them to back that up tomorrow. Very sloppy on their part for them to bother updating my details & not removing the Standalone Charge reference.

UPC-Products.png[/QUOTE]

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭Nollog

Mine still says i'm on 15mbit.

• Advertisement

Tony wrote: »
    Mine is the same

Thanks for that info Tony..;)

Shameless plug but im selling my Linksys e2000 router now and also my gigabit homeplugs if anyone is interested in them:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330564953796&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_571wt_1139

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330564960353&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

Ill be honest im selling the homeplugs because the wiring in my house didnt cut it for the 100meg line it seems.

The router im selling because the new thomson modem does the same job,

• Registered Users Posts: 32 plumbman

ok as you know got 100 meg installed last week , fecking disaster anyway technician called , swapped modem , 95 meg , lovely, 2 days later , back to the same old ****e... 23 meg, upc you are clearly cranking the line up as and when it suits you , as one tech overheard saying to the other " ah sure we will work a bit of magic eh laugh laugh" well guess what , its not funny , clearly upc have never heard of the supply of goods act ,, i will now make sure all correspondence with upc ( un professional cxxxx) is by email only for written proof. waxxxxs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

I'm thinking of moving to UPC from Vodafone, and I have a few questions. Bare in mind, I know nothing about Broadband.

Here is what I am currently getting from Vodafone on my wireless connection:

1297528156.png

Yeah, as you can see it's ****ing ****.

Anyway, does anyone know if the 100MB service is available in Ballincollig, Cork?

Also, on their website, when I click on the 100MB with phone package for €57, it takes me to a screen with options for 25MB and 50MB broadband. How can I select the package I want? I can pick the 100MB without the phone, but can't seem to get the package with both.

Anyone know if 50MB is good enough to have a great connection for online gaming -- PSN through wireless? Or would I need 100MB?

Anyway, does anyone know if the 100MB service is available in Ballincollig, Cork?

Yes my brother has got it there.
    Also, on their website, when I click on the 100MB with phone package for €57, it takes me to a screen with options for 25MB and 50MB broadband. How can I select the package I want? I can pick the 100MB without the phone, but can't seem to get the package with both.

Ring them and say you want that pack and mention the fact that the website didnt let you pick it so they will waive 20euro of the feee.
    Anyone know if 50MB is good enough to have a great connection for online gaming -- PSN through wireless? Or would I need 100MB?

50meg is plenty, gaming is more down to latency then anything else. However you will get FAR better then waht you are on now... Ideally for the best ping you will want to wire the playstation as wireless isnt up to scratch.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Under 100mb Broadband, click more info, select availability tab & enter your address.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

Anyone else get charged for their equipment??I upgraded online and got charged 40euro inclusive of vat??Dat has to be wrong doesnt it? And they charged me for standalone charge...

50mb internet was 46.50 and telephone service was 7.70 which is 54.20...Should it not be a standard 47euro which is what i signed up for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭Nollog

Desire. wrote: »

Select the 50MB one then click "double the speed" down toward the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Does the installers generally call early in the day time? I want to be on awares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I doubt it as they work an 8 hour day.

CorkMan wrote: »
    Does the installers generally call early in the day time? I want to be on awares.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Advertisement