Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭ted1

open a command prompt. Type in ipconfig the gateway address is your potter address it should be 192.168.1.1

• Registered Users Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭ted1

open a command prompt. Type in ipconfig the gateway address is your router address it should be 192.168.1.1

• Registered Users Posts: 32 plumbman

1295396103.png well after sending out a disgruntled email i got a call and an engineer came friday night and a little while later discovered it was the modem so swopped it around, tho much better got varied speeds . woke this morning and voilla 95 meg , i will settle for that, the engineer was a great lad he was already at home when he got the call to come round, he gave me lots of information as to what helps with speeds etc , a decent up to date computer is essential by the way, it is a shame that upc feck you around on the phone too much and give people the runaround when they should just be dealing with the problem, some training courses needed me thinks . any way just to let you know they do sort it eventually and when they do , what a product,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

How do I upgrade online is there a different form for existing customers?

I got my 100 meg , i am impressed so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Mistmyr

Cry...

Just called iv gone from a morning 9 - 1 appointment to 1 to 6 :(

So close......

They just want to make me wait the miserable no good sobs......

Today is going to be such a LONGGG day

Misty

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Magzire

I got the 30Mb package few months back for just under 50 euro. Seen the 50Mb offer for the same price. So rang up technical support to see whats up. They said that an extra charge will be including that brings it to 52 euro. So i agreed.

They claim I need a new router to allow for the faster speeds with a installment charge of 40 euro with 20 euro credit off.

Sounds like crap to me, highly doubt I need a new router. They ripping me off? Anymore have any say on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Magzire wrote: »
    I got the 30Mb package few months back for just under 50 euro. Seen the 50Mb offer for the same price. So rang up technical support to see whats up. They said that an extra charge will be including that brings it to 52 euro. So i agreed.

They claim I need a new router to allow for the faster speeds with a installment charge of 40 euro with 20 euro credit off.

Sounds like crap to me, highly doubt I need a new router. They ripping me off? Anymore have any say on this?

You need a new router all right. The current Cisco router is only euroDOCSIS V2.0, which handles speed of up to around 40-45MB. The new routers UPC are sending out (TGW870 technicolor) are designed to hand speeds of up to 450MB. They are euroDOCSIS V3.0

Have a look here: http://www.technicolor.com/en/hi/about-technicolor/press-center/2010/technicolor-selected-by-upc-broadband-for-new-eurodocsis-3-0-cable-internet-service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

hi guys,

i have the 50 meg package im getting 49mb with wireless on my acer 5750 laptop

on my hp lap i bought in 2008 im only get at max around, 16mb.

is there a way to increase the speed for the hp laptop, or because the laptop is a bit old, it can cope with the high speeds from the thomson router.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You would need a wireless N card in the older laptop in order to get past those speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

The HP laptop is probably only connecting to the wireless on the g series, you may need to get a n series wireless card for the laptop

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Or order the dongle for €15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

thanks guys can i buy that online

You order the dongle from UPC for a once off charge of €15.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

Got 100 Mb installed yesterday. Have to say i'm very impressed with it. :)

[URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/1295496718.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]1295496718.png

smokie72 wrote: »
    Got 100 Mb installed yesterday. Have to say i'm very impressed with it. :)

1295496718.png

My 30Mb seems so slow now. :o

1295508039.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

I was told the "provisioning" thing too and I didn't really understand it. What they did was put me back on the 30MB for the time being. I also have an engineer coming out next week to check the line into the house.

Im getting worried now for my 50Mb install on the 21st. Ive got the existing cabling from the old cablelink days which are about 20 years old!
    I wasnt even on the system as having cabling at all when i signed up recently because that info must not have been handed over somewhere between NTL & Upc takeovers. Engineer said thats par for the course but was happy he didnt have a whole cabling job on his hands as he suspected he would with a brand new customer. Now im worried these cables wont cut the muster?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Got my 100Mb BB installed.

The appointment was for between 9am-1pm today.

Engineers (2) arrived at approx 9:30am.

First thing was on their order form I was down for phone only (no BB!) - I know others have had that experience too.

I explained to the engineer it was 100Mb BB + Phone.

It wasn't a problem. He had modems in the van. Then they proceeded to lay new cable into the room I requested - connecting along the exterior of the house wall to the UPC box at side of house. They told me the existing cables were not sufficient for 100Mb service.

They did all they could do & left (after doing as much with the modem from their side that they could - it hadn't fully been provisioned at that stage). They left me their mobile number to call them so I could update them & discuss issues (they had moved onto the next job).

At about the 10am mark, approx 30 mins post install I got this :)

1295492980.png

Now I'm getting this.. :eek:

1295537391.png

Talking with the engineer he told me that he'd been onto 'head office' & that the reason I'm getting poor BB speeds at present is that there's an SNR outage in my area, but it should be fixed in a couple of hours..

I wonder.....??

Anyway, while I wait on the BB to 'fix itself' , I have been very impressed with the quality of the phone service (much much better quality than my existing service provider BlueFace whom I've been using for years - so I'm more than happy to port my number over to UPC based on the superior call quality)..

I'll provide another update later if my BB speed improves...Fingers crossed..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

gone for 100Mb upgrade - engineer due Monday.

Told that upgrade has "been done" already from the UPC office side.

Should I not notice a speed increase (even a little) from my current scientific atlanta modem - still getting exactly 30mb. I've rebooted. I know I'm just impatient but thought there would be some increase immediately..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I had the same modem but no increase beforehand i'm afraid

gone for 100Mb upgrade - engineer due Monday.

Told that upgrade has "been done" already from the UPC office side.

Should I not notice a speed increase (even a little) from my current scientific atlanta modem - still getting exactly 30mb. I've rebooted. I know I'm just impatient but thought there would be some increase immediately..

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Tony wrote: »
    I had the same modem but no increase beforehand i'm afraid

Thanks Tony. Will be patient so!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Thanks Tony. Will be patient so!

No bother. You might let me know what upload speed you get, mine actually went down from 3 to 2.5. Good luck with it

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Mistmyr

Engineer called about an hour ago and did the install. At last :)

The order was for phone and no internet :( lucky he had a modem in the van :)

He re-did some of the wiring and another engineer is calling with roof ladders next week to re-do outside of house. Took about 30 mins to provision.

Now im getting this:

1295688929.png

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

got mine yesterday..

getting 105mb on speedtest
    and an amazing 130mb while downloading from usenet !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭omerin

have 30mb, but only ever get betwen 9 to 12 wireless using a dongle and pc upstairs. Pc is about about 8 meters from router as the crow flies. Then bought a set of those plugs that transfer the bb from router through electric and getting the same results. They have said it maybe a router problem (cisco) as connecting gives the full 30mb :( Engineer to call next week but may make the switch to 50mb in the meantime, might get 20 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

So my 100meg was installed today!

Here is my previous 30meg speedtest: (NOTE THIS WAS VIA POWERPLUGS)

1293066337.png

Here is the new 100meg: (THIS WAS WIRED CAT5E, the powerplugs which were "supposed to be gigabit were only pulling 50meg max sadly will be flogging them on I guess.)

1295839141.png

On UPC's own speedtest I was hitting 105meg Download and 10.5meg upload.

It was provisioned within 10minutes, seems I was one of the lucky ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Have all that got installation today get your usb network adapter?.

by the way savage speeds there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Have all that got installation today get your usb network adapter?.

Nope, you have to pay for it, those who did get it were just lucky.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

fionny wrote: »
    the powerplugs which were "supposed to be gigabit were only pulling 50meg max sadly will be flogging them on I guess.)

I am on 50 meg
    I am not getting above 45 meg using them. And thats only if I plug into a different circuit than my PC (Kinda defeats the purpose)
    Otherwise its maxing out at 37
    I have UPC cabled to a good few points. I have tried the modem on them all & I still get a steady 49 .
    So I'm wondering 2 things.
    Whether to move my modem to another location & if I do would this affect the quality if I wanted to upgrade to 100meg later?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Got 100meg installed Thursday evening and it wasn't provisioned and needed some manual work the following day but it's up and running now and I couldn't be happier :D
    1295901225.png

Now need to work out how to get this connection to my PC upstairs without upsetting wifey with untidy cabling. I'm guessing wireless N will not be enough and I'm thinking of either running a cable somehow or going down the route of Powerline adapters.
    Is there any major downside to Powerline adapter? I can live with the radio sounding like sh!t :)

Advertisement