Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC new speeds and cheaper prices. 25mb/50mb/100mb

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Well it seems they are punishing their existing customers.... im going to go to town on them for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

fionny wrote: »
    Well it seems they are punishing their existing customers.... im going to go to town on them for that.

Are you still in contract on not?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

UPC forever turning victory into defeat,how do they it.A good news story and they make a complete balis of it .

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Tarquin1970

rebeve wrote: »
    UPC forever turning victory into defeat,how do they it.A good news story and they make a complete balis of it .

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Just rang, they are only hooking in new customers which is a right joke. Ive moved from 30meg to the 50meg connection for around 1.5 more then now.

They have sorted a swop out of the modem at my work place which is quite handy. The charge as suggested is 20euro.

Bit peeved that the 100meg isnt cheaper. Alas JamessyJ that price you had of 57 for phone and broadband was wrong....

Looks correct here. :confused:
    158088.png

That is sick im ringing them back now. Im pretty sure im out of contract.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

See new thread here with all the confirmed prices:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056262789

Some incredible new packages, 100mb bb + phone for just €57!!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Just rang customer service and the new packages are not available to existing customers yet. They told me i would get a text from them in a few weeks when the packages are available :mad: What BS that is. Existing customers getting penalized again.

Sales wouldn't let me (existing customer bull). Transferred me to Customer Loyalty. Not a bother. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Sales wouldn't let me (existing customer bull). Transferred me to Customer Loyalty. Not a bother. :D

How did you get to talk to Customer Loyalty???

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

bk wrote: »
    See new thread here with all the confirmed prices:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056262789

Some incredible new packages, 100mb bb + phone for just €57!!!!

Yeah just noticed this, what the??? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Called this morning here is the info I got

I'm currently on the top tv package, 30mb BB and phone

Moving to 50mb

Free wireless router and extra 3 euro a month

Moving to 100mb

€20 installation
    Extra €25 a month

Unsure what I want to move to, I think I'll just go 50mb and in time see how things go

How did you get to talk to Customer Loyalty???

I kicked up a fuss (not really, just said I didn't like having to pay so much more than a new customer and pointed out their own twitter said the packages would be available to everyone without specifying they meant only some) then the sales guy (who was very helpful, have to say) said "Well I know but I can't do anything in sales, if you want to talk to customer loyalty maybe they can do something..."

When I asked how, he just offered to transfer me to them. Someone's coming out Friday to replace the modem (40€ charge, but it's worth it) and we had to agree to a new 12-month contract, but it's worth it.

I kicked up a fuss (not really, just said I didn't like having to pay so much more than a new customer and pointed out their own twitter said the packages would be available to everyone without specifying they meant only some) then the sales guy (who was very helpful, have to say) said "Well I know but I can't do anything in sales, if you want to talk to customer loyalty maybe they can do something..."

When I asked how, he just offered to transfer me to them

A friend of mine also rang and he was told that the Waterford network has to be upgraded in order to provide the 50meg and 100meg speeds. Thats a further kick in the stones :mad:

I too rang back and gave out stink about not being allowed the deal of 100meg + phone for 57euro.

Got put onto loyalty dept who sorted me.... poor form that it takes a complaint.

Just rang customer service and the new packages are not available to existing customers yet. They told me i would get a text from them in a few weeks when the packages are available :mad: What BS that is. Existing customers getting penalized again.

I'm literally on a callback as we speak from uPC and they are upgrading me, I'm going with the 50mb package, I'm an exisiting customer. Shes taping at the keyboard as we speak.

Costing me an extra 3 euro and they are sending me a free wireless router, asking them to switch me today as the router I have will manage no problems, shes finding that out in a min.

I'll just mention there is a bit of confusion going out on the phones today, but the girl I'm dealing with, extremely helpful and informative, is setting me up.

And to confirm, the installation fee for the 100mb is no longer €100 its only €20, they scrapped the third party company that was installing and its now just UPC engineers that do it.

I was mighty tempted to go 100mb only for I really dont think I'd utilise it

**Edit***

I'm just reading on the savings you guys are talking bout, didnt realise it might be cheaper for newer customers, will ask her in a second

Yeah forgot to mention, when the Loyalty guy put me on hold for ages he quickly (and kind of incorehently) said something about checking the network first.

Make sense, but I'd have more faith in UPC to deliver than eircom.

Should also point out, I was out of contract, they might not have let me upgrade for bundle price otherwise. And forgetting about our contract extension last year (which was for the 30MB upgrade) we are otherwise long out of contract. Plus we get HD an extra point and phone from them.

Maybe the more you spend, the easier they'll let you take one of the bundles. They certainly didn't put up a fight on Customer Loyalty anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

TheDoc wrote: »
    Costing me an extra 3 euro and they are sending me a free wireless router, asking them to switch me today as the router I have will manage no problems, shes finding that out in a min.
    your router (assuming it's separate to your modem) may be fine, but your modem won't be as the 50 & 100mbps packages are both using euroDOCSIS3.0 which is not compatible with existing UPC supplied modems.

as an existing UPC customer you'll either have a scientific atlanta epc2203 standalone modem and your own router, or the cisco epc2425 modem/router and neither do euroDOCSIS3.0, only v2.0

i *think* someone mentioned before that v3.0 may be backwards compatible, but you are unlikely to get any extra speed until you have the new (thompson branded) modem/router plugged in when it arrives.

If the new modem has a router built in I hope they give the option of disabling it as I bought and quite like my Linksys E3000 gigabit setup.

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    your router (assuming it's separate to your modem) may be fine, but your modem won't be as the 50 & 100mbps packages are both using euroDOCSIS3.0 which is not compatible with existing UPC supplied modems.

as an existing UPC customer you'll either have a scientific atlanta epc2203 standalone modem and your own router, or the cisco epc2425 modem/router and neither do euroDOCSIS3.0, only v2.0

i *think* someone mentioned before that v3.0 may be backwards compatible, but you are unlikely to get any extra speed until you have the new (thompson branded) modem/router plugged in when it arrives.

They have said I am not receiving a new modem, its just a new wireless router, and my package will be upgraded straight away

So I'll receive a new router in the coming days, but if I reboot my kit later today I should be already upgraded.

So unless she is mixed up, the modem I have that was supplied can take the 50mb, cause I specifically asked was the modem being changed and she said just the wireless router, your modem is good up to 100mb.

Which was also confirmed by an engineer that was in the house in November fixing the TV, who said to me to speedtest for the laugh, I got 90mb dl and he said the cap switch was off down at the exchange as they were working on upgrades. Thats where I first heard of the new 100mb package.

And that wasnt inflated speedtest.net, I was getting seriously good download speeds for about 2 days while the cap switch was off.

But sure I'll see what happens when the courier comes, but she was very stressful on just being a new router.

Service was quality btw and it was all sorted in a few minutes and very informative.

So might it be the case that the router I'm reciving is basically just one big box of win.

At the moment I go

Wall -> Modem -> wireless router and everything cabled to this

So maybes its now going to be

Wall -> router/modem box of win -> cabled to everything

?

Can someone just confirm this

Currently on 30Mb package only,

I can ask them for an upgrade to 100Mb with a Phone for €57 a month
    And i'll have to pay €40 for installation is that correct?

Cordless house phone is €15 extra i'll go for that too - as the modem is under the TV and that would be annoying

M.J.M.C wrote: »

It is €20 installation.
    I was quoted that this morning.
    They quoted me €23 extra per month for the 100mb package.

I'm currently on the top TV package, phone and 30mb.

I pay bout €160 a month so she said they would taper it at €180 monthly. That option will be available to me as an imediate upgrade even through my new 12 month contract at 50mb.

Basically I just asked whats the price difference between my current and new, asked was I availing of the savings as there was confusion circulating online and she said the savings are for people on really basic packages.

Essentially I must have got a class agent cause she was informative and got **** done quickly and correctly, I'm not sure where all the confusion is coming from in fairness although I know myself from working in a call centre when new stuff like this rolls out there is absolute confusion and chaos.

Best bet is if you get information that doesnt sound right as for it to be confirmed, and dont mention that you heard it on boards.ie, I get that all the time in work and its a lol comment.

Reference their own website if there is a problem.

I wonder is the 100meg + phone deal a mistake given it makes the 100meg cheaper then normal when all the rest are marginally more expensive... id move on this today were I you as I reckon it will be gone soon.

Tough on them though I just agreed to a 12month contract on it :P

I wonder is the 100meg + phone deal a mistake given it makes the 100meg cheaper then normal when all the rest are marginally more expensive... id move on this today were I you as I reckon it will be gone soon.

Tough on them though I just agreed to a 12month contract on it :P

Yeah i might just do that, and feck paying €15 for a cordless phone i'll never use the fecking thing.

Dont want the other half ringing mobiles from it - creating a massive bill for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

M.J.M.C wrote: »

Cordless house phone is €15 extra i'll go for that too - as the modem is under the TV and that would be annoying

Currently on the 30Mb only package myself and have just finished ordering the fibre power ultimate with the upgrade to 100Mb from 50Mb for the extra €10, and I have been told that it will cost me €40 for the new Thompson modem.

I got the phone just so I can receive the calls... have no intention of dialling out on it but by getting the phone package bundle you effectively save 15.75 per month on the normal 100meg price with standalone :P

I got the phone just so I can receive the calls... have no intention of dialling out on it but by getting the phone package bundle you effectively save 15.75 per month on the normal 100meg price with standalone :P

What did you upgrade from fionny if you dont mind me asking
    How much was your installation?

Moving from 30meg BB only which was like 52.75 per m (had that No DD charge)

And yes you do have to pay 40euro installation but thats down 60euro from previous install charge :P You cant self install the 100meg for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Clover wrote: »
    Currently on the 30Mb only package myself and have just finished ordering the fibre power ultimate with the upgrade to 100Mb from 50Mb for the extra €10, and I have been told that it will cost me €40 for the new Thompson modem.

Also on 30Mb package only (so paying the standalone charge currently). So right now I pay €49.74 per month for the 30Mb BB.

Tried to order the 100Mb with phone via sales & they couldn't do it (I was told for new customers only).

Eventually got through to Customer Loyalty - explained my situation & desire to get the Phone+100Mb etc..

Got fantastic help from the team, now getting 100Mb BB product + Anytime Phone for €62 PM (only €12.26 more than my existing 30Mb monthly bill!!)

That's a super offer - well done UPC

'One Off' fee of €40 for Activation of Service & Tech booked to come out & 'install it' etc..

So far, so good...;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement